General / Off-Topic The Orville

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
The juvenile humor just seems so out of place for Star Trek. That, and it really does come across as Seth's TNG fanfic. Meh.

To be fair I've only watched the first episode, but I don't really care to see more. :)

The juvenile humor just seems so out of place for Star Trek. That, and it really does come across as Seth's TNG fanfic. Meh.

To be fair I've only watched the first episode, but I don't really care to see more. :)
It gets way better. He has convinced top Hollywood actors and old Star Trek Next gen directors to get involved. Sometimes I forget it isn't Star Trek because the themes are so similar.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
It gets way better. He has convinced top Hollywood actors and old Star Trek Next gen directors to get involved. Sometimes I forget it isn't Star Trek because the themes are so similar.

One of the criticisms that Red Letter Media leveled at the show in their last video was that so many stories were rehashes of older Trek ones. I mean for a series that has existed for more than half a century you're going to have problems with that I guess, but it's interesting. I take it that Discovery, for all its faults, isn't quite as bad as far as retreating old plot lines.

Still, I may watch more of the Oriville at some point. :)

All series just like STNG need to get started, and TO is just getting better and better from E5.

STD just get more and more toe crunching and really just gets annoying in my POW.

Dial down the jokes, add a bit more of dilemmas, and you got a ST reboot worth watching.

One of the criticisms that Red Letter Media leveled at the show in their last video was that so many stories were rehashes of older Trek ones. I mean for a series that has existed for more than half a century you're going to have problems with that I guess, but it's interesting. I take it that Discovery, for all its faults, isn't quite as bad as far as retreating old plot lines.

Still, I may watch more of the Oriville at some point. :)
I find his writing mediocre at best.
Everything the guy does is the same recipe: Blatantly rip off someone else, try to make it his own, but fail as his humor is lame.
Couple of good lines sprinkled among the vast "meh".
Yet multitudes love the guy.
I know, extremely subjective.

Last edited:
To me, The Orville is more Star Trek than all new Star Treks.
It's a proper homage to how it was done in the golden age of TV series. Plus I'm one of the people who do enjoy Seth's stupid humour, so that's a plus. :D

I find I'm going in the opposite direction with the Orville, I liked it as a parody then it started taking itself a bit too seriously and now we effectively have a star trek clone with some jokes thrown in. I like it but it could have been better.

Look at the star wars family guy episodes, this could have been just as good if McFarlane had been willing to stick the boot in a bit more (in a friendly way).

I've been enjoying it but I just wish the naff jokes were missing - They are not needed as the shows stories are actually quite good.

From E5 and onward it just gets better, less jokes and more interresting stories.

WARNING contains spoilers!!!!
[video=youtube;528oXc04ICY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528oXc04ICY[/video]

Last edited:
I heard that Mercer and Grayson might get back together in season 2 i dont know i feel about this because I think when this happens in shows they start doing episodes and change the whole show to fit the relationship

It's okay but like the Scream movies, it's actually becoming what it set out to parody. The humour has definitely dropped off a bit and TBH in the UK we're now mid season and the episode just gone "Cupid's Dagger" was frankly a bit contrived and boring. Also seemed to be their ultra low budget one of the season mostly set on their ship stages. Sneaking a look through Wikipedia indicates it perks up a bit, but still... Perhaps the main thing missing is any real sense of edge, darkness or struggle - the stories are somewhat simplistic.

McFarlane is definitely an acquired taste and sadly a bit typecast in that I can't really take Brian The Dog from Family Guy seriously as spaceship captain.

It's okay but like the Scream movies, it's actually becoming what it set out to parody. The humour has definitely dropped off a bit and TBH in the UK we're now mid season and the episode just gone "Cupid's Dagger" was frankly a bit contrived and boring. Also seemed to be their ultra low budget one of the season mostly set on their ship stages. Sneaking a look through Wikipedia indicates it perks up a bit, but still... Perhaps the main thing missing is any real sense of edge, darkness or struggle - the stories are somewhat simplistic.

McFarlane is definitely an acquired taste and sadly a bit typecast in that I can't really take Brian The Dog from Family Guy seriously as spaceship captain.

Thankfully I've never watched a single episode of Family Guy and my only previous exposure to McFarlane's work has been his role as producer of revival of Cosmos. I therefore have no problem watching him in the role of a starship captain.

The Orville doesn't really try to be a parody of a space opera ... it's a pretty good space opera in it's own right and I definitely found more to enjoy in the Orville then I did in Star Trek Discovery. Where Star Trek has departed from the presentation of mankind's future as something hopeful and optimistic The Orville embraces the optimism that was once such a key ingredient of why I was a Trekker ... though that optimism is confounded at times by ineptitude.

Star Trek began to shed Gene Roddenberry's vision of an optimistic future for mankind during the production of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and the introduction of elements like Section 31 which undermine that principle vision. Star Trek has never been quite the same since.

Me? I'll take the Orville. I quite like it.

I love the Orville. Some may think that it is crap but then it is different from all the other crap the networks try to get us to watch then buy stuff on their commercials which I never do. SO MUCH BETTER than listening to USA Republicans and Democrats fighting on cable making me wonder if this 'grand experiment' (Alexander Hamilton quote) will work out. I guess that it is my kind of crap as I'm totally entertained watching an episode. Yes, some are great and others suck. Have they started up the second season? I've already downloaded the first one. Don't tell anyone...And yes I have colluded with Russians over the years who love the Elite games as much as me working together to make the early versions much better. Guess I won't get a job at the White House.

Last edited:
Top Bottom