The Oswald-Eugene Counter

It's not a clear cut thing. Scenary doesn't have as big an impact as coasters or other trackrides. Flatrides do not have much impact either. Paths and coasters have the biggest impact. Each console has a different limit based on the specs of that console. The hard drive doesn't really have much to do with it. Planet coaster is heavy on ram, CPU and GPU.

Yeah but you can imagine that people are not gonna pay 50 dollars for the game then 10 dollars for each DlC pack and you can't use it all it's same when you would bring rollercoaster tycoon 2. But you can't use the Expansion packs but pay full price. As it is now it should not cost more then 25 dollars. Because you can't use it full as on pc. And DLC pack should be 50%. Then it's fair. Oh my xbox one x I have also limit of 20-25 depends on what I build but for me this is to boring and I am done building a park in 2 hours or less. Then I can start over again but now I just keep playing on pc.

Hi, I was about to buy the game on my new PS5 but then I saw about this counter thing.
Disappointing as there is no mention of it on the store description, and was no mention of it in the livestream i saw by Frontier some time ago.
I spent hours and hours on RollerCoster Tycoon 1,2, 3 on PC back then but now that I don’t have a PC anymore, I was very happy to see Planet Coaster on console.

So, my question is: I will play on PS5 but I don’t have a 4K TV, I play on a Full HD TV. Is playing on 1080p TV will result on a much higher counter?

I also played Jurassic World Evolution on regular PS4 and never encountered any problem or limit...

Hi, I was about to buy the game on my new PS5 but then I saw about this counter thing.
Disappointing as there is no mention of it on the store description, and was no mention of it in the livestream i saw by Frontier some time ago.
I spent hours and hours on RollerCoster Tycoon 1,2, 3 on PC back then but now that I don’t have a PC anymore, I was very happy to see Planet Coaster on console.

So, my question is: I will play on PS5 but I don’t have a 4K TV, I play on a Full HD TV. Is playing on 1080p TV will result on a much higher counter?

I also played Jurassic World Evolution on regular PS4 and never encountered any problem or limit...
Your TV resolution does not matter. As long as you have the PS5 version, you will be able to build about 30% more than those playing on Base PS4/Xbox One consoles.

You would be surprised how big of a park you can build even on base consoles. I have both the PS5 and Series X versions of the game and I downloaded some of the full parks the community has made and the largest park so far was at 69%. I assume that person was on base console because they stopped right at the 70% mark which on Next Gen would be 70% and on Base Consoles it would be 100%. But the park was pretty packed and a lot of rides/scenery etc. I still am hopefull that on PS5/Series X they can increase the limit due to the specs of the machines, but you will be able to build a pretty big park.

OK it’s strange that resolution don’t affect the counter... there is a lot less graphic to render...

When I play those games, I always build custom rides for coasters, flumes,... does custom rides take more counter than pre-build ones?

I’m torn between buying this game for my PS5 or buying RCT Classic on my old MacBook. I don’t care that much about the graphic aspect but I really want the building rides/park design aspect.

OK it’s strange that resolution don’t affect the counter... there is a lot less graphic to render...

When I play those games, I always build custom rides for coasters, flumes,... does custom rides take more counter than pre-build ones?

I’m torn between buying this game for my PS5 or buying RCT Classic on my old MacBook. I don’t care that much about the graphic aspect but I really want the building rides/park design aspect.
If was about resolution then the base consoles (Xbox One/PS4) would be able to build bigger parks due to them running at 1080p. The Series X/PS5 run at 4k/60fps. The reason is that the CPU/GPU in consoles in general are slower and less powerful than on modern PC's. The PS5/Series X use a Ryzen 2 CPU which is really good, but not as good as most modern PC CPU you can buy. From my research and reading the Counter Limit is solely in place so your park does not get overwhelmed and begin to run at 15fps or slower.

On PC, which I have also played, I can play it at 4k/60fps but after a while it begins to slow down. There are plenty of Youtube'rs that post their parks, but they speed up the video because the game is running in the low sub-20's frame rate. This game has a ton of physics going on, then managing the AI of all the pedestrians, the paths and the individual rides etc. It does take a toll even on the mighty PC gaming rigs.

When you say custom rides are talking about something unrealistic or are you going for realistic rides? I have seen some players push the counter to 60% of the 100% limit with one coaster, but it was a massive 10min long wood coaster that chews up a lot because of all the support beams etc. As I mentioned, I have download some others users parks that are at (at least on my PS5) 60-70% and they are pretty big parks with over 50 shops at 25+ rides etc. and scenery.

It sounds like they optimized the PS5 version for 4K, so you still get dinged on the counter. It would be cool if they gave you a higher counter for using 1080p, otherwise it seems the game is being underutilized in terms of power. Not everybody is using 4K....how nice would it be to reap the benefits?

I cannot see this counter being made larger, especially on the old consoles. It is directly tied to the power of the machines. The (now) last gen machines are using comparatively slow processors and graphics chips. It is amazing it runs full stop on these machines infact.

Another important thing to note is that the old consoles have no form of virtual memory whatso ever. That means when you fill the available system RAM up by building things for example, if you were to use up that avaliable memory, the system will crash, guranteed. As there is no hardware functionality built into the machines to deal with such a situation. They have 8GB of system memory, but it is unifed, meaning the system shares that memory between software and the graphics. Unlike most PCs with dedicated graphics.

The consoles also directly lock out a couple of the processing cores and a bit of RAM, for exclusive use by the consoles operating system, further reducing the available power for games to use. This is what allows you to always quickly switch to the menu no matter what you are doing.

PCs, have a virtual memory system in place, meaning the system will continue to function (albiet slowly) if the system RAM is filled up. This is one of the many reasons there has to be a cap on what you can build. No if's or buts.

If Frontier made a game on the consoles without a cap, it would mean the game would always crash at some point, for everyone. Microsoft and Sony would not pass the game through validation if it did this, meaning they would not allow it on their systems.

If you are going to play a modern game of this nature, on aging machines, expect comprimises.

People saying you dont get the full Planet Coaster experience are deluded somewhat. You can still do everything you can do in the PC version, you are just limited in how much you can do it. But the same game funcionality is there, making Frontiers claims true.

The CAP wont be increased by any meaningful amount, especially on the old consoles. It is not just about the CPU and GPU, the system memory limitations are probably one of the biggest reasons the cap is in place. Everytime you build something, the data is stored into the RAM, until eventually you have no memory left.

Not talking about your storage space here, talking about the system memory (RAM)

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Very disappointed! I've just finished one land in my park, out of the 4 lands i wanted to create. And have now been stopped from building anymore. How ridiculous, this game is supposed to be played so we can create our own parks, but now you are telling us we have a limit on what we can do?
Why? I always feel as a consoler gamer i get treated differently then PC gamers. And yet again that's happened. Why can we not create to our hearts desire like PC? Thank god i didn't spend money on this game. And until you give us the option to build how we want i won't be playing anymore.
5 hours wasted on one land, and a park that is 3/4 empty, all for no reason. What a waste of time.

Very disappointed! I've just finished one land in my park, out of the 4 lands i wanted to create. And have now been stopped from building anymore. How ridiculous, this game is supposed to be played so we can create our own parks, but now you are telling us we have a limit on what we can do?
Why? I always feel as a consoler gamer i get treated differently then PC gamers. And yet again that's happened. Why can we not create to our hearts desire like PC? Thank god i didn't spend money on this game. And until you give us the option to build how we want i won't be playing anymore.
5 hours wasted on one land, and a park that is 3/4 empty, all for no reason. What a waste of time.

Read the post directly above yours, explains the technical reasons pretty well. While I can agree the way they went about announcing this "feature" was probably the worst possible thing to do, there are genuine hardware related reasons that it has to exist.

Dear Frontier Team, as a long-time Planco PC player, I was really looking forward to the console version. Step by step build a great park from the sofa in the evenings😊. Then the surprising message came with the limiter and I have now also tested it. I started a sandbox park on my PS4 Pro, 5 rides, a few small shops, plants etc, nothing big and I'm already at over 30% !!! ??? Further building is not worth it if you can only implement half of the ideas. It's very frustrating. Next I loaded a park from the workshop that is already at 100%, plus 4,000 visitors in the park and just 30% of the area is built on. And the park runs super smoothly !!! So why is further construction being prevented? There are no stutters, nothing at all. Why can't everyone decide for themselves how far they can build until it maybe slows down? And why is there such a large park area at all if you can't even build on half of it? And also 4.000 visitors are too little, they get lost in a larger park and then there is nothing going on on many rides. Please remove the limiter completely or expand it very generously, otherwise we will quickly lose long-term motivation and fun...😩

I cannot see this counter being made larger, especially on the old consoles. It is directly tied to the power of the machines. The (now) last gen machines are using comparatively slow processors and graphics chips. It is amazing it runs full stop on these machines infact.

Another important thing to note is that the old consoles have no form of virtual memory whatso ever. That means when you fill the available system RAM up by building things for example, if you were to use up that avaliable memory, the system will crash, guranteed. As there is no hardware functionality built into the machines to deal with such a situation. They have 8GB of system memory, but it is unifed, meaning the system shares that memory between software and the graphics. Unlike most PCs with dedicated graphics.

The consoles also directly lock out a couple of the processing cores and a bit of RAM, for exclusive use by the consoles operating system, further reducing the available power for games to use. This is what allows you to always quickly switch to the menu no matter what you are doing.

PCs, have a virtual memory system in place, meaning the system will continue to function (albiet slowly) if the system RAM is filled up. This is one of the many reasons there has to be a cap on what you can build. No if's or buts.

If Frontier made a game on the consoles without a cap, it would mean the game would always crash at some point, for everyone. Microsoft and Sony would not pass the game through validation if it did this, meaning they would not allow it on their systems.

If you are going to play a modern game of this nature, on aging machines, expect comprimises.

People saying you dont get the full Planet Coaster experience are deluded somewhat. You can still do everything you can do in the PC version, you are just limited in how much you can do it. But the same game funcionality is there, making Frontiers claims true.

The CAP wont be increased by any meaningful amount, especially on the old consoles. It is not just about the CPU and GPU, the system memory limitations are probably one of the biggest reasons the cap is in place. Everytime you build something, the data is stored into the RAM, until eventually you have no memory left.

Not talking about your storage space here, talking about the system memory (RAM)

Great explanation.
I already wondered since the announcement how they'd get this game to work on a machine that's 1/3 of the budget of my desktop, which is already hard at work to keep the game running smoothly.

Then I realized, they can't. So how'd they ensure the game would run smooth.
Yes, by limiting the amount of objects. Which is exactly what they did.

As a pc player, I've seen this one coming from miles away.
Although announcing it sooner would be fairer. But who pre orders so many months in advance?

Only registered to post this, even though I don‘t think anyone will care..

I would really love them to add an option to remove build limit with a warning attached to it that it can impact performance, especially on ps5/SX versions of the game. Games like no mans sky (that run worse than planet coaster by default) for example do this. They give us the choice to remove base building limits and it works out.. i removed it and built so much, yes there were frame drops but all in all i didn’t care about those 5 fps, because I built that exact base I wanted.. i think that would be an extremely satisfying solution to all of this..

But right now, i just hit the limit and it still runs so smooth that I bet that a few more rides would not destroy performance at all. This is just frustrating...

Please frontier, give us the choice!

Last edited:
Man... I really wish we could make more detailed parks on console. I was really looking forward to finally having access to my favorite game in the world at higher than 5 fps, but I suppose I could tone down the detail a bit. One of my favorite things to do is detailing in Theme Park Tycoons, which does disappoint me a bit. Maybe I could get smart with placement, or just make a very detailed single themed ride? Either way, I am very thankful to the devs for finally bringing one of my favorite games of all time to a platform I have decent access to.

Only registered to post this, even though I don‘t think anyone will care..

I would really love them to add an option to remove build limit with a warning attached to it that it can impact performance, especially on ps5/SX versions of the game. Games like no mans sky (that run worse than planet coaster by default) for example do this. They give us the choice to remove base building limits and it works out.. i removed it and built so much, yes there were frame drops but all in all i didn’t care about those 5 fps, because I built that exact base I wanted.. i think that would be an extremely satisfying solution to all of this..

But right now, i just hit the limit and it still runs so smooth that I bet that a few more rides would not destroy performance at all. This is just frustrating...

Please frontier, give us the choice!
That is exactly what I was thinking! I know that it could impact performance, and it could flat out corrupt saves, but I would love having the ability to do as much detailing as I can without crashing the game. As I said before in my other post, detailing is my favorite thing to do in theme park sims, so not having the option to be very in depth with custom props is really disappointing to me. At the moment though, I am just planning to be smarter with my use of props, and maybe even make highly detailed singular rides.

Hello coaster friends! 

Over the weekend we've loved seeing a lot of you looking forward to Planet Coaster: Console Edition, as well as asking a few questions about how the Oswald-Eugene Counter works. Today we're going to share a bit more on what this helpful tool is and how it works to keep your console experience smooth and enjoyable.

The Oswald-Eugene Counter is a nifty contraption created by the brilliant minds of Oswald B. Thompson and Eugene Newton (you'll meet them in the Career Mode!). With help from this counter, you'll be able to let your creativity run wild while ensuring your park is kept in tip-top condition. 

When all you new or experienced park builders get creating, it’s important to us that you have a great time and don't encounter any issues! The Oswald-Eugene Counter is designed specifically to let you know how much you can build, so that your platform of choice can keep processing your park effortlessly. It is there to help guide you so that you, and your guests, can stay entertained in your bustling and busy parks. 

If you start reaching the top of the counter, that's the time to check around your park and see if you can find any non-essential items to remove so you can continue to enjoy a smooth experience. When the counter reaches 100%, this represents the top capability of your chosen console and you won't be able to place more buildings or rides. 

We have worked hard to enable you to create incredible places to visit and share, no matter what console you choose to play on. For example, check out this park running on Xbox One X or PlayStation 4 Pro. This magnificent park runs at about 60-70% of the Oswald-Eugene Counter and still has plenty of space so you can continue to build! 

Meanwhile, taking the same park you can expand it even further using the power of next-gen consoles such as Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. This even more magnificent park runs at about 60-70% of the Oswald-Eugene Counter for next-gen.

The Oswald-Eugene Counter will also help guide you when sharing on the Frontier Workshop with others across generations! With the power of next-gen consoles, you can build and share even bigger parks.

However, if these parks cross a certain threshold then they will only be useable for others using next-gen hardware. For example, if you had your heart set on sharing your Xbox Series X built park with your friends playing on an Xbox One, using this tool you can make sure it’s possible by checking and adjusting your park accordingly.

It's important to remember that creations on the Frontier Workshop can be shared across generations, but not cross platform. This means that Xbox One players and Xbox Series X|S players can share with each other, or PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 players can share with each other. 

We want you to have as much fun as possible when playing Planet Coaster, whatever your console of choice may be. We're excited to see what you create and know that you'll have a fantastic time doing it. 

We can't wait for the launch tomorrow and hope these insights help answer your questions about the Oswald-Eugene Counter on console. Which console will you be playing on?
Dear planet coaster community. I'm talking to the frontier developer to remove the Oswald counter from Planet Coaster consol edition.
Some players managed to bypass the counter and found that no latency had been detected. This speedometer is a real stick in the wheels for roller coaster fan players. Impossible to build or install a simple flower in the park. the boundaries of the park are so large that it makes you want to fill it all up, but Oswald's meter lets us build only half of a quarter of the available land. I think planet coaster players prefer to reach the limits of the console, see the game crash to be able to build gigantic parks and express their imagination at will. Why penalize players on the console edition of the game. this counter is more of a disadvantage than an asset. so please, dear frontier developer, develop an update to remove this counter that blocks us and prevents us from fully enjoying the game. do a poll to planet de Coster players on the console edition and you will know that this counter is unnecessary and restrictive. Cordially.

I personally think they should add an Option to the game that allows it to go further or eliminate it. Give the player to option to choose to have it on or off. Still have the warning when you near the a certain percentage. The Warning could be as simple as "You are nearing the limit of the Oswald Meter for a smooth performance, build beyond 100% could introduce slowdown and frame rate issues".

If that is not possible, then the limit on Next Gen console can certainly be increased. No way that the next gen console can only do 30% more than the base consoles.

Hi I have the game on PlayStation 5 and I am building a park on sandbox mode, however I am getting the message saying the counter is 100% full and asking me to remove items, is there any way I can remove this restriction as I don’t mind it not being backwards compatible

Top Bottom