Community Event / Creation The Outlander Challenge

Update: October 30th 2021

Its good to see people are still taking an interest in the challenge, however this is an old CCN initiative, dating back to the early days of Colonia (circa August 2016). I am no longer a custodian of this event, having stepped down around 2018, and am therefore not updating it. If someone wants to take over or recreate this thread and continue running it, please do.

My thanks to everyone who took part. o7

THE OUTLANDER CHALLENGE

ph2tOjq.png

For those who are thinking of buying a second account, or already have one and want a new challenge, the Colonia Citizens Network is tasking players to take on the Outlander Challenge.

The premise is that a brand new character is created in the bubble.

Starting out with just your Sidewinder, your immediate goal is to earn enough credits to fit a good FSD, Scanner, and Scoop to it as soon as possible - then leave the bubble behind and head to the Colonia Nebula, where a new life awaits.

This new life will be a hard one! The new colony is like the wild west frontier, there is little infrastructure to support you (although its slowly growing). The challenge is to see if you can make a living while along the way enjoy seeing your character grow in tandem with the colony.

Forget the bubble you left behind, and all the comforts and security it offered you - the future is out at Jaques, 22,000 LYs beyond the frontier!

Opportunities to make a living as a miner are now open in the Colonia Nebula, and mission boards are now operational. New bases and stations are now in place - so there's a great opportunity here for players to experience Elite Dangerous without the urban sprawl of the old worlds and be part of this new fledgling community as it grows around you.

Join the Colonia Citizens Network discord server and chat to like minded players - some of who are taking on this very challenge : https://discord.gg/cAvgq3p

Click Image for the Colonia Connection Route Map and Outpost Locations :

The Rules are simple...

• Wipe an existing save or start a new account.
  • Using only your Sidewinder, make just enough credits in the bubble to fit a decent fuel scoop, scanner, and FSD to your Sidewinder, then set out for Colonia.
  • Post screenshots of your journey if you wish (use spoiler tags).
  • Write a flight log of your journey if you wish.
  • Once you reach Colonia, sell your exploration data and then post a screenshot of your credit balance while docked at Jaques station.
  • Now earn a further 1 million credits while out in Colonia. You can upgrade your ship, or buy other ship types while out there.
  • Once you've earned a million 'colonial' credits, post a screenshot of your credit balance. Congrats, you're now a Colonist and have competed the Outlander Challenge!

Update Sept. 12th 3302

zxIV2DY.jpg

Players who complete the Outlander Challenge will earn a unique role within the CCN community : Outlander.

Participants :

NameCommanderFlight Log
Rudi RaumkrautRudi Raumkraut
Henkka77CMDR Cereal BoxLINK1 LINK2
AlistairHopeCMDR Ethan Hope
syncipherCMDR Maikeru
FreebirdCMDR 13A
RaikoCMDR The Raikobot
RenKCMDR Ren Kasen
Ready EagleCMDR Ready Eagle
Dregory The CrowCMDR Myrton Grunwald
Muad'Dib [POZ]CMDR Ignis Petram
MacrosTheBlackCMDR Flirble Rasok
ZenithCMDR Nadir Ffenics
Andrew LintonCMDR Kit Ausland
ArcanustheWiseCMDR DarkLordArcanus
THAXXARCMDR Devi Alar
Reise LangCMDR Reise Lang
GerbilzCMDR Gerbilz
NewportBoxCMDR NewportBox
XeresCMDR Xeresita
JaschCMDR Mira Hart
Mathew of TegalusCMDR Tavenar
kodiakusCMDR Kodiakus
JandCMDR Isken
Morgana DevilCMDR To be announced
jrtonkinCMDR Masaane
PixhelCMDR Louis Laguardia
OldskoolheroCMDR Ted Styrker
mp1963CMDR Head_CaseLINK
racer1CMDR Jonny Case
DeltaCentauriCMDR Porthanna ValterraRetired
Skye CarterCMDR Skye Carter
thadius856CMDR Caprica-Six
Ruth MackieCMDR RAMACKIE
DennehyCMDR GilmorrilLINK
RaktavijanCMDR Elena Castiglione
AilonurCMDR Irla
TharrnCMDR Cassandra Varr
Mad Bob DarraboCMDR Outlander DarraboLINK
ClichéCMDR DysonnLINK
JaiotuCMDR Robert Faulcon
Junky JukeCMDR Junky JukeLINK
TrukrrCMDR TrukSrLINK
JermusCMDR Jermus KarlsenLINK
DummytargetCMDR MurhapuroLINK
pippoCMDR Henri Caesar
MangelCMDR Mangel II
Quar DamekCMDR Neander Thal
GriefedCMDR GriefedLINK
KaseroCMDR Manon Hanson
Cdr VoorheezCMDR Felice Landree
WTFFSwanCMDR Markus Rexnord
CoslnayCMDR Bob Dubrovnic
Valen ZendarisCMDR Xalek Zendaris
ZephrowCMDR Michael RaynorLINK

Last edited:
yeah, exactly what I was planning:
Rudi Raumkraut ( redundant account, clear save ) - starting in Sidewinder and heading to Colonia as soon ship is fitted for travel.

Is little Painite-boost from main allowed ?! ;-)

This is EXACTLY what i have been looking for to do with my second account.

The problem is, my second account is meant mainly for my private group use and its named after it, so i have to figure it out what to do with that..
I dont think i want to fly around with cmdr with last name of "Squadron". :D

If only i could keep the private group name and change the cmdr name.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm very interested by the idea !
I'm just hesitating traveling to jaques before or after 2.2 release, to test the neutron star trick ;-)

I all cases, will do that soon or late ! So count me in !

Just a question, in you idea should we do the travel in the sidewinder, or is is good also to farm enough credits to use a more suitable ship for exploration (cobra Mk III or ASP) ?

Alistair Hope.

Hello,

I'm very interested by the idea !
I'm just hesitating traveling to jaques before or after 2.2 release, to test the neutron star trick ;-)

I all cases, will do that soon or late ! So count me in !

Just a question, in you idea should we do the travel in the sidewinder, or is is good also to farm enough credits to use a more suitable ship for exploration (cobra Mk III or ASP) ?

Alistair Hope.
The challenge is to stay in the Sidewinder and earn just enough money in the bubble until you can fit a good FSD and Scoop to it, then set off for the Colony.

So you need to make the journey in your starter ship, then when you reach Colonia begin your new life trying to make a living. You should have quite a lot of scan data to sell to Jaques, so that will be enough to outfit your Sidewinder into a mining rig to give you a decent start at colonial life.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

yeah, exactly what I was planning:
Rudi Raumkraut ( redundant account, clear save ) - starting in Sidewinder and heading to Colonia as soon ship is fitted for travel.

Is little Painite-boost from main allowed ?! ;-)

Excellent - will add you to the list.

If you want to document your Outlander Challenge, a CCN Editor will be happy to publish your story as it progresses.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

This is EXACTLY what i have been looking for to do with my second account.

The problem is, my second account is meant mainly for my private group use and its named after it, so i have to figure it out what to do with that..
I dont think i want to fly around with cmdr with last name of "Squadron". :D

If only i could keep the private group name and change the cmdr name.... :rolleyes:
Welcome aboard :)

OK, so I will do it in my sidewinder. I will begin my travel as soon as possible (just need to buy an account and fit and fsd).

Welcome aboard :)

Thanks Erimus. But as im using my 2nd account, the CMDR name is Cereal Box. :D
CMDR Henkka77 will stay in the bubble and continue his own trails. :)

I dont know how much time i have in my hands with the 2nd account, but now as i have a goal with it, i will make some time for it and try to make it to Jaques within this fall.. A bit vague estimate but its the best i can do atm.

Love this idea. Good luck to y'all.

(if my data remains "lost" when I eventually get back to UC [likely Jacques] I'll probably clear save and join ye. Won't know for a few months though)

There is no way I am doing this, since it would cost money for a new account (plus more for Horizons) and FD are getting nothing more out of me until they deliver what they promised in the kickstarter - which we all know ain't going to happen. And, no, I'm not going to wipe out my current account - but thanks for asking. About the closest I might be prepared to go is to simulate starting again, by putting all my cash into ships in the existing bubble (and promising not to touch them), leaving me with just 1K and a sidey. Not quite the same, since there will be subtle differences since I would have rank, and thus a few privileges, but perhaps close enough. Would that satisfy the sign-up criteria?

This sounds like an excellent idea for a second account and I've been meaning to make one. Even better is that I could send the main back to the bubble so I don't miss out on any upcoming events and still have a presence at Jaques. Could even use it as a good excuse to try streaming. Gah! what to do...

I'll likely be signing up, will just be a bit before I can be sure with having to buy a second account :)

There is no way I am doing this, since it would cost money for a new account (plus more for Horizons) and FD are getting nothing more out of me until they deliver what they promised in the kickstarter - which we all know ain't going to happen. And, no, I'm not going to wipe out my current account - but thanks for asking. About the closest I might be prepared to go is to simulate starting again, by putting all my cash into ships in the existing bubble (and promising not to touch them), leaving me with just 1K and a sidey. Not quite the same, since there will be subtle differences since I would have rank, and thus a few privileges, but perhaps close enough. Would that satisfy the sign-up criteria?

I guess the only criteria is the one you set yourself. Outlander Challenge as is described in the OP is probably the most challenging way to go about this, and personally speaking, probably the most interesting one to document in the Colonial Gazette. But there's no reason why players can't tailor the challenge to their own playstyle, and try making it as a colonist in other ways. From the Gazette perspective though, I think they will only want to publish the stories of those who really are starting from scratch.

If you're not too bothered about the roleplay / newspaper coverage angle, then there's no need to strictly abide by the guidelines in the OP. Anyone who takes it on will be added to the list (for posterity reasons more than anything else), just let me know what self-imposed criteria you're opting for and I'll add that your entry should you sign up [up]

Last edited:
Sounds good; but............... how many jumps in a siddy with an A-rated FSD from the
starting system :S :eek: ? ergo much time to invest.

I would like to join in this but not sure if I qualify.

My 2nd account is a pure explorer, I can only earn credits by exploring, and am not even allowing myself the luxury of buying fuel; I have to scoop it. the problem is that I've now upgraded to an Adder, and really don't want to have to clear save what I've done so far :(

Top Bottom