The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

Some thoughts of Odyssey...

Amazing video Alec! One that shows skillful acrobatics, a determination to succeed, and portrays the very essence of what I believe this Club is all about. Indeed, each of the historical Records Of Achievement, within Horizons, may be summed by two short words, "True Grit".

Unfortunately, the often flat landscape of Odyssey has made circumnavigation that much easier. Gone are the steep mighty mountains, deep jagged canyons, and perilous craters that can devour both player and SRV in an instant.

In Horizons, it was like I faced hazard and danger at every turn. However, during my first circumnavigation of a world in Odyssey, I found that I would often consider myself lucky to see terrain that was not flat or featureless.

Odyssey is a huge step backwards IMHO...

Exponents of SRV Driving and Flyving might consider the new style of terrain perhaps a little too easy. Indeed, the days of nitty-gritty, edge-of-the-seat, circumnavigations in Horizons may soon become a thing of the past.

Today, anyone with little or no skill can imagine themselves as "Christopher Columbus"; while mocking the greatness of his accomplishments by travelling effortlessly, gently, and mindlessly, around FDevs 'newly generated' worlds.

For me, circumnavigation in Odyssey offers little to be proud of... I just hope 'the powers that be' in FDev do not downgrade Horizons to the bland and dismal state we see in Odyssey. It is on that day my SRV will be mothballed inside its garage and will stay confined for all eternity.

But until that day, I will spend most of my free time just happily bouncing from peak to peak over the beloved terrain we call Horizons; and enjoying each and every mile of the journey.
Indeed ... your post has reminded me that on many occasions in Horizons, finding a route through the vast and sprawling complex of canyons that lay ahead of you was a real challenge, often requiring careful scouting beforehand and/or the use of an aerial guide to tell you where to go (who can forget the legendary "Northern Route" of the First Great Planetary Expedition). Alas I'm seeing very little evidence that Odyssey will offer anything like the same challenges in its present form.

Commander: Mathias Shallowgrave
Planet/Moon: Veil West Sector DL-Y d68 D 3 b a
Gravity: 0.05 G
Radius: 493 km
Date: 5 - 24 March 3307
Start/End Point: 1.4614 -138.7582
Time Taken: circa 50 hours
Approximate Distance: 4000 km
Evidence: This YouTube playlist, documenting the whole trip and this thread on my forums :)
Other Cmdrs who completed the expedition with me: Randario, Frank Dolas, Hattor, Kriztozz.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2QpRJArxB8&list=PLOq1KPuGCTMarj9hikUVjnOz7u0zgv00o&ab_channel=rootsrat
Better late than never - I've finally entrered these circumnavigations into the record books of the circumnavigation club. Congratulations one and all and for those of you with EDSM accounts you should find new Planetary Circumnavigation achievement badges appearing on the account soon(ish).

Circumnavigation Supportive Evidence

Planet: BYEIA THAE LH-U C16-7 B 1
Radius: 236km.
Gravity: 0.06G.
Start/Finish Dates: 22.05.3307, 24.05.3307
Distance Travelled: 800km.
Time Taken: ~22 hours.

View attachment 230718
Congratulations, first complete Odyssey circumnavigation now entered in the record books! You do, of course, already have your EDSM badge I assume (and yes, I'm afraid you can only have one ... maybe we'll make you a gold one for your 100th circumnavigation?) :)

P.S. you said distance covered was 800 km but that didn't tally with the radius. I've recalulated but let me know if I made a mistake.

Last edited:
So it's done. Story and details at https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/camino-de-santiago-on-foot-circumnavigation.577783/

But summary also here:

Planet: Stuelou OJ-E c26-45 3 C a
Radius: 189.1km.
Gravity: 0.02G.
Start/Finish Dates: 22.05.3307, 27.05.3307
Distance Travelled: 1,206.345km.
Time Taken: 76 hours, 35 minutes, 35 seconds.
Vehicle used: NONE.

Video evidence:
Log evidence
Alex ... congratulations! The first complete on foot circumnavigation has now been entered into the club's official record books (I've started a new table for this ... I suspect it's going to remain a fairly exclusive table).

gatsby.gif

Last edited:
It looks like mountains and canyons do still exist in Odyssey. They're just a lot more rare now. Most of the low gravity dust-balls and ice-balls are pretty uninteresting now, which is perhaps a more realistic portrayal, but this is one of the cases where I think it's OK to fudge it into the more interesting/artistic direction a little bit, for the sake of gameplay.

But assuming this is how it's going to be (rather than changing the tech again between now and the console launch), it'll just require being a lot more choosy about which planets to use.

As an example, this one had a more Horizons-like feel to its valleys:

2021-06-04%2000-34-42%20Pyraleau%20KK-C%20d14-42.jpg

And a more horizons-like mountain on this one:

2021-06-01%2001-24-15%20Prai%20Hypoo%20XW-E%20b2-0.jpg

It looks like mountains and canyons do still exist in Odyssey. They're just a lot more rare now. Most of the low gravity dust-balls and ice-balls are pretty uninteresting now, which is perhaps a more realistic portrayal, but this is one of the cases where I think it's OK to fudge it into the more interesting/artistic direction a little bit, for the sake of gameplay.

But assuming this is how it's going to be (rather than changing the tech again between now and the console launch), it'll just require being a lot more choosy about which planets to use.

As an example, this one had a more Horizons-like feel to its valleys:

2021-06-04%2000-34-42%20Pyraleau%20KK-C%20d14-42.jpg

And a more horizons-like mountain on this one:

2021-06-01%2001-24-15%20Prai%20Hypoo%20XW-E%20b2-0.jpg
These all look very shallow and smooth sided tho' (i.e. I can't imagine getting through or up those being something that might take an hour).

I'm pretty sure there are no Canyons like in Horizon, but I will say that today I finally came across a planet that was a lot better when it comes more extreme terrain.

Now those canyons don't have the same kind of almost 90 degree walls you could find in horizons but its about 6km from bottom to top making it by far the deepest canyon I could find in ody so far
opi110nkcn.png

Went and looked if I can go from bottom to top in the SRV, and yes it possible. Alltough it did get quite steep and tricky at some point, so it wasn't just easy driving.
opi12zck8f.png

opi132yj8m.png

Whats also missing compared to Horizons is the more complex and varied terrain inside the canyon. Most of it looks very easy drivable but I did find some more interessting bits inside canyons here and there. the part left of my ship is about 1km high
opi14oiku1.png

But all in all easly my favorite ody planet so far, will explore other parts of it later but I think the planet shows some good potential for fun srv traversel so far. Biggest problem it has is that its about 18000ly from sol.

opi15i2jsu.png

Its "Byeia Aihm DI-A C14-44 3", more to the center. I spend some more time exploring and driving about and having a good time here.

Alex ... congratulations! The first complete on foot circumnavigation has now been entered into the club's official record books (I've started a new table for this ... I suspect it's going to remain a fairly exclusive table).

gatsby.gif
I already suspected it wouldn't take too long! Mad props! =D

Cmdr name: Chewcat1
Planet/Moon: CPD-65 2513 AB 1 D
Gravity: 0.04G
Radius: 153 km
Approximate distance travelled: 1000 km
Start & End point: 0° -14°
Time Taken: 8h 30m
Start/finish date: 7/26/21 - 7/27/21
Evidence: Screenshots of journey. (If you need more screenshots I can supply them)

Attachments

• Screenshot_0113.png
    Screenshot_0113.png
    937.9 KB · Views: 924
  • Screenshot_0116.png
    Screenshot_0116.png
    154.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_0117.png
    Screenshot_0117.png
    892.9 KB · Views: 60
Evidence: Screenshots of journey. (If you need more screenshots I can supply them)
Congrats!

Congratulations! Sorry, forgot all about this post. I'll try and get that added to the list in the OP this weekend. Do you use EDSM under that commander name? If so then I can also get the Planetary Circumnavigation achievement badge added to your account.

Sincere apologies for the delay but I finally got around to adding your circumnavigation to the records (and you should have received your EDSM badge by now too).

Hi Alec! One small request when you get the chance:

I noticed that the First Great Planetary Expedition isn't mentioned anywhere in the main post! It totally deserves linkage, and all of the successful completions there should probably be included here as well! (Maybe in their own mini-section for brevity?)

Hello Cmdrs,

My first circumnavigation completed :)

Cmdr name: Mike Kastilione
Planet/Moon: HIP 88155 AB 2 b
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodi...55/details/idB/1396127/nameB/HIP+88155+AB+2+b
Radius: 363 km
Atmosphere: Thin Ammonia
Approximate distance travelled: 2500 km
Start & End point: -20,5315, 32,9813
Circumnavigation: heading 0° to North Pole, 180° to South Pole, 0° to start/end point
Time taken: approximately 26 hours
Start/finish date: 29.04.3308 - 03.05.3308
Evidence: video recorded
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsBDIvTZHpxSgHdV9PDJBkMa6Tyuq92Hh

52039756604_f39fb78539_o.png

Last edited:
Hello Cmdrs,

My first circumnavigation completed :)

Cmdr name: Mike Kastilione
Planet/Moon: HIP 88155 AB 2 b
https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodi...55/details/idB/1396127/nameB/HIP+88155+AB+2+b
Radius: 363 km
Atmosphere: Thin Ammonia
Approximate distance travelled: 2500 km
Start & End point: -20,5315, 32,9813
Circumnavigation: heading 0° to North Pole, 180° to South Pole, 0° to start/end point
Time taken: approximately 26 hours
Start/finish date: 29.04.3308 - 03.05.3308
Evidence: video recorded
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsBDIvTZHpxSgHdV9PDJBkMa6Tyuq92Hh

View attachment 305607
Hey there Cmdr ... congratulations on your circumnavigation! I'll check your stuff on Monday probably, get your entry added to the club's official records and send in the application for your EDSM achievement eBadge (assuming you have an EDSM account). Feel free to claim your complimentary drink from the members bar (although, after 26hrs in an SRV, we kindly suggest that members may wish to avail themselves of the shower facilities first!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom