The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

Food for thought ...

Could be a lot of fun. Modeling it like "Distant Worlds" etc has a lot of potential.

Although Frontier would really need to fix the "too many players in an instance causes multiplicative damage" bug first. (Is that still in 3.0? Haven't had a chance to check).

Could be a lot of fun. Modeling it like "Distant Worlds" etc has a lot of potential.

Although Frontier would really need to fix the "too many players in an instance causes multiplicative damage" bug first. (Is that still in 3.0? Haven't had a chance to check).

How does this manifest itself? Can we test it to see if the bug is still present?

Around Hi'iaka?

Dateline: Hi’iaka, a trans-Neptunian moon in Sol system, 5 March 3304

Having followed CMDR Nick Sticks's adventure, I decided to take on a circumnavigation of my own...starting from a position of nigh-utter ignorance about SRVs: I had 2.6km on the clock before I began, and nary a worthwhile material in sight for refueling or repairs. Who cares about that stuff? :rolleyes:

I landed on Hi'iaka last night (why Hi'iaka? Well, I was in Sol system, it was the smallest body I found, and I wanted to start driving), without bothering to pick a particular site...okay, because I haven't much practice at that yet, and I wanted to start driving...so I found myself at -59 degrees latitude, 75.5 degrees longitude. I set off on a heading of zero degrees...and, because I wanted to start driving, without grabbing a shot of my starting position; this was such an auspicious beginning.

This is, I told myself (sans evidence), a typical icy moon, and I found just enough rocks, of just the right sizes, to keep me from relaxing or accelerating beyond 15. Even then, I’m dodging to avoid leaving behind bits of my lovely yellow paint-job; I can’t afford to risk attention from the planet-guardians for polluting the pristine surface with anything except tyre-tracks.

100 kilometers later, I stop for a quick commemorative shot:
7gvKn4Y.png
. I’ve managed to grab enough materials for a couple of refuellings, but I’ve decided the Ghods of Randomness will determine whether I make it all the way around. Hi’iaka’s reported as 160km in radius, so 1005km without deviations…good luck with that…will see me around.

One degree is about 2.8km, but I have no idea how useful that will be, so once I calculate it, I just. keep. driving.

Stopping Point One (without a nice campfire, it’s hard to call it anything else), 164km of 1005:
yAYyvXK.png

8OYM0qm.png
I now have 18 refuellings left, so I'm probably set on that point.

Future tasks:
1) learn to take photos. I’ve played with the cameras, but have yet to find anything worth sharing. I especially need to learn how to fly the camera as far out as the amazing explorers who set my feet on this path.

Food for thought ...

I like this a lot, Alec, and would be very keen to participate. After my lengthy but aborted SRV exped at Beagle Point 2, I have always wanted to develop the land driving aspect. If others were interested, we could certainly gather a small SRV convoy and attempt a full circumnavigation of a small moon using WPs.

Imagine the thrill of reaching a WP and then seeing the small lights of other SRVs slowly crawling in towards you - or a small convoy crawling over a high ridge only to see a sheer cliff on the other side and then work out how to circumvent it. With the new textures, I think this would be a perfect opportunity to explore the small moons.

Good luck Cmdr Jazzlvraz.
Will you be starting a new thread over in the Exploration section?

I like this a lot, Alec, and would be very keen to participate. After my lengthy but aborted SRV exped at Beagle Point 2, I have always wanted to develop the land driving aspect. If others were interested, we could certainly gather a small SRV convoy and attempt a full circumnavigation of a small moon using WPs.

Imagine the thrill of reaching a WP and then seeing the small lights of other SRVs slowly crawling in towards you - or a small convoy crawling over a high ridge only to see a sheer cliff on the other side and then work out how to circumvent it. With the new textures, I think this would be a perfect opportunity to explore the small moons.

It does like a good idea. We just need a planet worthy of this.

Good luck Jazzlvraz. :)

I'm not great driver either, but i always find driving on icy surfaces very hard. Thats why i avoided picking up icy planets/moons.

Dateline: Hi’iaka, a trans-Neptunian moon in Sol system, 5 March 3304

Having followed CMDR Nick Sticks's adventure, I decided to take on a circumnavigation of my own...starting from a position of nigh-utter ignorance about SRVs: I had 2.6km on the clock before I began, and nary a worthwhile material in sight for refueling or repairs. Who cares about that stuff? :rolleyes:

I landed on Hi'iaka last night (why Hi'iaka? Well, I was in Sol system, it was the smallest body I found, and I wanted to start driving), without bothering to pick a particular site...okay, because I haven't much practice at that yet, and I wanted to start driving...so I found myself at -59 degrees latitude, 75.5 degrees longitude. I set off on a heading of zero degrees...and, because I wanted to start driving, without grabbing a shot of my starting position; this was such an auspicious beginning.

This is, I told myself (sans evidence), a typical icy moon, and I found just enough rocks, of just the right sizes, to keep me from relaxing or accelerating beyond 15. Even then, I’m dodging to avoid leaving behind bits of my lovely yellow paint-job; I can’t afford to risk attention from the planet-guardians for polluting the pristine surface with anything except tyre-tracks.

100 kilometers later, I stop for a quick commemorative shot: https://i.imgur.com/7gvKn4Y.png. I’ve managed to grab enough materials for a couple of refuellings, but I’ve decided the Ghods of Randomness will determine whether I make it all the way around. Hi’iaka’s reported as 160km in radius, so 1005km without deviations…good luck with that…will see me around.

One degree is about 2.8km, but I have no idea how useful that will be, so once I calculate it, I just. keep. driving.

Stopping Point One (without a nice campfire, it’s hard to call it anything else), 164km of 1005: https://i.imgur.com/yAYyvXK.png

https://i.imgur.com/8OYM0qm.pngI now have 18 refuellings left, so I'm probably set on that point.

Future tasks:
1) learn to take photos. I’ve played with the cameras, but have yet to find anything worth sharing. I especially need to learn how to fly the camera as far out as the amazing explorers who set my feet on this path.

Hey Jazzlvraz, good luck for your journey! I'll create an official entry for you in the OP of this thread tomorrow when I'm at a proper keyboard. Funnily enough Hi'laka was one of the first planets I considered for my own circumnavigation ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...for-charity)?p=6095995&viewfull=1#post6095995

I totally endorse the idea of a convoy circumnavigation, as for the damage multiplier bug (if still present), I somehow doubt we would routinely flive at 90-100+ m/s while near each other...wouldn't we? :p

And best of luck to Cmdr Jazzlvraz, have a safe journey out there. o7

OK folks - it looks like there is definitely interest in doing a mass planetary circumnavigation expedition! I can't think about it right now 'cos I'm off on holiday in a couple of days but when I get back I'll put some thought into planning this (probably need a dedicated forum thread, a discord channel, a planet and, most importantly, a name). If people want to start scouting for planets then go for it. They need to be smallish (less than 400km radius?), low gravity (less than 0.1g would be my preference), have materials for refuel and repair synthesis, and be utterly awe inspiring to drive across (beautiful lighting, amazing canyons, etc).

Last edited:
Hey Jazzlvraz, good luck for your journey! I'll create an official entry for you in the OP of this thread tomorrow when I'm at a proper keyboard.

Done. I've also started filling in the planet radius (which was strangely not one of my statistics) for all the other entries I have listed.

Jazzlvraz - I think you should definitely start a separate thread to log your jouney. Let me know when you have and I'll change your entry to point to it.

o7

OK folks - it looks like there is definitely interest in doing a mass planetary circumnavigation expedition! I can't think about it right now 'cos I'm off on holiday in a couple of days but when I get back I'll put some thought into planning this (probably need a dedicated forum thread, a discord channel, a planet and, most importantly, a name).

"Distant Grounds"? :D

Or even better..."Surface Exploration eXpedition"...

- "Yo Aky, goin' out for a beer and fun tonight, you in?"

-"Sorry pals, stuck at home, gonna have SEX this evening...actually, it could take up to a month, and more!"

-"Duuude..."

OK folks - it looks like there is definitely interest in doing a mass planetary circumnavigation expedition! I can't think about it right now 'cos I'm off on holiday in a couple of days but when I get back I'll put some thought into planning this (probably need a dedicated forum thread, a discord channel, a planet and, most importantly, a name). If people want to start scouting for planets then go for it. They need to be smallish (less than 400km radius?), low gravity (less than 0.1g would be my preference), have materials for refuel and repair synthesis, and be utterly awe inspiring to drive across (beautiful lighting, amazing canyons, etc).

Does anyone have a preference for either Colonia or the Bubble - or somewhere else? My alt-account Cmdr Hated Nightfall is in the Bubble with a newly-kitted Chieftain ready to explore while my main Cmdr Felix Macedonica is dong a slow-boat exploration out from Colonia to one of the nearby nebulae.

I'll fire up the Chieftain 'Wilderness of Tigers' and have a look around on the fringes of the Bubble tonight just to get the blood going.

As for a ground expedition name, 'Distant Horizons' springs to mind.

Does anyone have a preference for either Colonia or the Bubble - or somewhere else? My alt-account Cmdr Hated Nightfall is in the Bubble with a newly-kitted Chieftain ready to explore while my main Cmdr Felix Macedonica is dong a slow-boat exploration out from Colonia to one of the nearby nebulae.

I'll fire up the Chieftain 'Wilderness of Tigers' and have a look around on the fringes of the Bubble tonight just to get the blood going.

Bubble +/-1000ly vote from me.

Planning to join this club, always wanted to drive around Wilson one day. And with the q4 update bringing improvments to icy planet I wanna do it before that. Judging by the improvments we got to metal/rocky planets he will most likley look better then ever after that but at the same time while better maybe not quite the same anymore ^^

But I will need to do some scouting and planning first, its not exacatly a perfect candidate for such an endevour and I don't wanna start it at the best possible point either but instead I wanna start at the same place my last adventrue on wilson started. Lots of deep and wide canyons can get in the way, will have to figur out which way to go :D

Does anyone have a preference for either Colonia or the Bubble - or somewhere else?

Bubble (or nearby) for sure. Something with an outpost on the planet (or more than one along the same circumnavigation line) would be fun as a start/stop point. And in the bubble you see a lot more stuff while you travel: ships overhead, wrecks, colonies, etc.

"Distant Horizons" is a lovely name that I'm afraid may have already been used.

Ah shame about 'Distant Horizons' - I hadn't realised it had already been used!

And thank you for highlighting that list. It looks ideal as a tick-list to explore while searching for a suitable candidate. And I agree about a planet/moon in or near the Bubble. If it has an outpost, then perhaps the expedition name should be after that outpost to honour it as either the start or stop position?

Top Bottom