The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

A new club logo perhaps?

24737918937_354f854d52_o.jpg

Awesome panoramic/360 photos courtesy of MadRaptor.

Hah, well I found a planet that is exactly what I was looking for to circumnavigate. Problem is though it's the same planet Alec ran around for charity, PLEIONE 3 A, lol! I didn't realize it was the same one until this morning. Super scenic planet with lovely views, oh well, I'll keep searching...

Hah, well I found a planet that is exactly what I was looking for to circumnavigate. Problem is though it's the same planet Alec ran around for charity, PLEIONE 3 A, lol! I didn't realize it was the same one until this morning. Super scenic planet with lovely views, oh well, I'll keep searching...

LOL - what are the chances! It WAS a very nice planet, beautiful light!

Oh you crazy you...
Might this be one of the things that bring me back to the game ? I gotta find a random planet and circumvent it just for the hell of it.

Well I picked a planet I want to do this on, just to say I officially did one: planet Coltan in the Dahan sytem:

tHiNe1c.jpg

It's a tiny metal rich planet at 167km in radius. I decided to bring my T7 instead of the T10 due to it's planet landing issues. I'm going to drive around the equator while picking up every piece of salvage I can find along the way, and at the end I'll see just how much my hold of junk is worth!

I've honestly been doing the circumnavigation for the past week and I'm just about halfway around by now, taking lots of pics along the way. I'll make a thread to document it eventually, but with the beta dropping this week my little scenic drive might get put on hold for a spell unless I can finish her up before Thursday.

I'll post a link to the thread here when I make it.

Well I picked a planet I want to do this on, just to say I officially did one: planet Coltan in the Dahan sytem:

It's a tiny metal rich planet at 167km in radius. I decided to bring my T7 instead of the T10 due to it's planet landing issues. I'm going to drive around the equator while picking up every piece of salvage I can find along the way, and at the end I'll see just how much my hold of junk is worth!

I've honestly been doing the circumnavigation for the past week and I'm just about halfway around by now, taking lots of pics along the way. I'll make a thread to document it eventually, but with the beta dropping this week my little scenic drive might get put on hold for a spell unless I can finish her up before Thursday.

I'll post a link to the thread here when I make it.

Yay - exciting stuff Mengy!

I've updated the OP to give both yourself and Nick Sticks an entry with a status of ONGOING.

o7 you crazy fools!

Greetings 07.

I just found this challenge to be really interesting. I have been researching how to do this now for the last few days. I am out in the Black and kind of making my way to Beagle Point after completing the Enigma Expedition and doing a sight-seeing tour of Sag A*.

I have found a low-G, 216km radius moon.

By my calculations that is a ~1,357km run to circumnavigate.

I am trying to figure time for something like this and it seems unless I am launching myself around the surface (an impressive video, that one), I think I might continue to search for something smaller.

Currently heading to look out from the top of the galaxy, so I might bookmark this place and come back down to it tomorrow.

What is the smallest planet found so far to do this? Should I keep looking for something smaller (even 50 less km in radius can save hundreds of km driven)?

Thank you for any advice.

Greetings 07.

I just found this challenge to be really interesting. I have been researching how to do this now for the last few days. I am out in the Black and kind of making my way to Beagle Point after completing the Enigma Expedition and doing a sight-seeing tour of Sag A*.

I am trying to figure time for something like this and it seems unless I am launching myself around the surface (an impressive video, that one), I think I might continue to search for something smaller.

Currently heading to look out from the top of the galaxy, so I might bookmark this place and come back down to it tomorrow.

What is the smallest planet found so far to do this? Should I keep looking for something smaller (even 50 less km in radius can save hundreds of km driven)?

There are smaller planets than your 216km radius but that one isn't too bad. It depends on how interesting you want your planet to be. If they are too small the chances are they will be less misshapen.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...looking-rock?p=6260272&viewfull=1#post6260272

Bite the bullet and go for this one!

Greetings 07.

If you're trying to estimate how much time then remember that straight line driving speed (wheels on the ground) is around 25-30m/s while in the air "fliving" speed is at least double that (100+m/s for me on a good day, much higher for the true SRV experts). I took 7 days playing for around 1.5hrs a day and "fliving" while Nick Sticks has taken nearly two months (jesus - has it really been that long Nick? you'll have forgotten how to fly a ship!), keeping his wheels firmly on the ground and taking lots of scenic detours (and all the more respect to him for that - what he's doing is epic). It's no small undertaking either way (I'd say it's the ground based equivalent of a Sag A* run) but it's strangely addictive and I'm seriously considering doing another one once the novelty of the 3.0 release has worn off.

If you look at the bottom of the OP you'll see that there are plenty of moons under 200km in radius so it might be worth looking a bit more but 216km isn't bad. Like Nick said, pick somewhere interesting - you're gonna be on it for a fair few days so it's nice if the views are awe inspiring and/or there's some interesting landmarks to investigate.

Keep us posted!

P.S. make sure you're stocked up with plenty of SRV repair mat's before you start. Once 3.0 drops you'll be able to store more too!

Last edited:
If you're trying to estimate how much time then remember that straight line driving speed (wheels on the ground) is around 25-30m/s while in the air "fliving" speed is at least double that (100+m/s for me on a good day, much higher for the true SRV experts). I took 7 days playing for around 1.5hrs a day and "fliving" while Nick Sticks has taken nearly two months (jesus - has it really been that long Nick? you'll have forgotten how to fly a ship!), keeping his wheels firmly on the ground and taking lots of scenic detours (and all the more respect to him for that - what he's doing is epic). It's no small undertaking either way (I'd say it's the ground based equivalent of a Sag A* run) but it's strangely addictive and I'm seriously considering doing another one once the novelty of the 3.0 release has worn off.

If you look at the bottom of the OP you'll see that there are plenty of moons under 200km in radius so it might be worth looking a bit more but 216km isn't bad. Like Nick said, pick somewhere interesting - you're gonna be on it for a fair few days so it's nice if the views are awe inspiring and/or there's some interesting landmarks to investigate.

Keep us posted!

P.S. make sure you're stocked up with plenty of SRV repair mat's before you start. Once 3.0 drops you'll be able to store more too!

For me it is the refuelling mat's I've used the most as I'm not doing too much to take damage and the ship repairs the SRV when you board it.
Nearly 2 months - wow, seems like yesterday I set off :D

Okay, so I completed my circumnavigation of Coltan in the Dahan system a few weeks ago but only just now got to making a post about it and uploading my pics, lol.

Here is the thread:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ting-a-planet-in-an-SRV?p=6440483#post6440483

Here are the expedition stats:

Distance driven: 1120km
Time spent: 65hrs, 9min
Salvage collected: 225T
Credits earned: $1,143,128
Skimmers destroyed: 101
Downed Nav beacons scanned: 5
Downed Satellites scanned: 6
Installations pillaged: 11
SRV Refuels: 8
SRV Repairs: 12

To document the trip I stopped every 10° along the equator to take both a coordinate pic and a surface map pic showing my progression. Here is a link to the full album of all 155 pictures I took along the way:

https://imgur.com/a/LtEIu

Here is the start location pic and end location pic at coordinates 0,0, along with in game time & SRV distance stats:

H9wf5bb.jpg

ZzRNOnh.jpg

mjJYfoH.jpg

1CDlLyL.jpg

And here is a whole lot of my favorite pics I took along the journey. Spoiler tagged to be polite, as it's a LOT of pics:

RXS3GXq.jpg

wodOLTk.jpg

lI0EBtU.jpg

5rrzyKd.jpg

4TqL3Sj.jpg

bmILInk.jpg

9l9OtN1.jpg

IX3ezTC.jpg

UsgTiJs.jpg

baAHbsU.jpg

ePzd0NK.jpg

Lrxjwpa.jpg

yFbb1J0.jpg

iWNM8pz.jpg

B0Kbl7B.jpg

smSbGqF.jpg

aeI1d4F.jpg

JsVmmMz.jpg

QyqlI4x.jpg

1J24iRg.jpg

hrGpa4m.jpg

cgu0QnW.jpg

gqiB05r.jpg

7zJWhDL.jpg

DEBBRbh.jpg

y9pRqcv.jpg

slC7iMI.jpg

Q7A3c1P.jpg

WE8ef9w.jpg

Kv4cbdv.jpg

wGXbcwC.jpg

88nDaYQ.jpg

vPmBqIG.jpg

Q7Mhnou.jpg

WPNjvP0.jpg

I'd like to do another one after 3.0 but without bothering to salvage, as that really slowed me down a lot. And maybe on a planet with some more interesting terrain too!

Last edited:
Okay, so I completed my circumnavigation of Coltan in the Dahan system a few weeks ago but only just now got to making a post about it and uploading my pics, lol.

Here is the thread:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ting-a-planet-in-an-SRV?p=6440483#post6440483

Time spent: 65hrs, 9min
Salvage collected: 225T
Credits earned: $1,143,128
Skimmers destroyed: 101
Downed Nav beacons scanned: 5
Downed Satellites scanned: 6
Installations pillaged: 11
SRV Repairs: 12

To document the trip I stopped every 10° along the equator to take both a coordinate pic and a surface map pic showing my progression. Here is a link to the full album of all 155 pictures I took along the way:

https://imgur.com/a/LtEIu

Here is the start location pic and end location pic at coordinates 0,0, along with in game time & SRV distance stats:

And here is a whole lot of my favorite pics I took along the journey. Spoiler tagged to be polite, as it's a LOT of pics:

I'd like to do another one after 3.0 but without bothering to salvage, as that really slowed me down a lot. And maybe on a planet with some more interesting terrain too!

Awesome stuff Mengy! I've now updated the OP with your entry ... welcome to the club! o7

P.S. you don't happen to know the exact start and end dates of your circumnavigation do you?

Okay, so I completed my circumnavigation of Coltan in the Dahan system a few weeks ago....

Congratulations Mengy,

I am curious about your distance traveled vs. refuels, if you don't mind.

Did you refuel with standard synthesis? What was your average throttle speed (best guess obviously - full, half, one-quarter, etc.)? Were you running with all systems on or off?

I currently have about 16 refuels available on board and I am not looking to hunt materials on my current expedition. This is kind of a lark thing that I want to do in addition to the BPE that I am doing right now and I am still looking for a moon that has under 200km radius (I actually may hold out to find one as close to <150km radius as possible), so I am not pausing much for material gathering.

Congrats again and mahalo for any info you can provide.

Top Bottom