The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

OK folks - it looks like there is definitely interest in doing a mass planetary circumnavigation expedition! I can't think about it right now 'cos I'm off on holiday in a couple of days but when I get back I'll put some thought into planning this (probably need a dedicated forum thread, a discord channel, a planet and, most importantly, a name). If people want to start scouting for planets then go for it. They need to be smallish (less than 400km radius?), low gravity (less than 0.1g would be my preference), have materials for refuel and repair synthesis, and be utterly awe inspiring to drive across (beautiful lighting, amazing canyons, etc).

Very interesting idea. Would this be a race, or a leisurely drive around at our own pace? I’d definitely consider an SRV expedition like this, could be a lot of fun!

As for location, I’d vote for somewhere in or close to a nebula. Also possibly a planet orbiting closely to another planet or gas giant. It’s always inspiring to see scenery like that hanging off the horizon while in the SRV, plus it would improve all of our pictures!

As for the name of the expedition, how about Distant Skylines? We’d constantly be driving towards the skyline on the edge of the world…

I'm out flying around gawking at planets now, I'll keep my eye out for a good little candidate.

Last edited:
I'm going to offer this planet as a candidate.
If it's not suitable for the mass planetary circumnavigation I'll be driving round it anyway.
It's not that far from the edge of the bubble, just over 700LY, which is 36 jumps in my 22LY Cobra III.
Gravity is 0.05G, but it is 491km radius (3084km circumference).
Planet materials look like they are suitable for fuel and repair.
I also think it looks awesome.

miUrJk9.jpg

kNSK98r.jpg

8yNjpmf.jpg

I like it - especially the mountain ranges. Is 700 lys too far in terms of POIs?

Hard to say about the POI's. I always thought NPC's appeared up to 1000LYs from the bubble so maybe POI's do as well.
I saw a lot more than I thought I would on my last planet but I suppose that was "near" to Colonia.
I will do a straight line driving test before we decide to see what comes up and we might still get another smaller planet come up.

So we are celebrating monotony now? Like participation trophies in children's sports?

A bunch of (relatively) grown-ups playing pretend to be audacious space explorers on a dangerous and exciting mission around a far off world. This IS children sport! And I DEMAND my cardboard medal!

No prizes here for just taking part, go all the way round kid or you ain't coming to the club's christmas dinner!

Is there free beer cozies at the dinner?

I can bring crackers, if anyone's interested. Lots of 'em.

So the invent imaginary content because the game is lacking it, got it!

Try it before you knock it. :)

With a moderate amount of practice, you can circumnavigate a small world in the same time it takes to do three hutton runs, and it's far more interesting & engaging.

Ever gone for a drive just to relax and enjoy the scenery? It's like that.

Try it before you knock it. :)

With a moderate amount of practice, you can circumnavigate a small world in the same time it takes to do three hutton runs, and it's far more interesting & engaging.

Ever gone for a drive just to relax and enjoy the scenery? It's like that.

Sorry probably not for me, I dread landing on a planet just to go material hunting let alone doing driving on a rock that look like the last 100 rocks I've landed on.

And no I don't just drive to relax and enjoy the scenery. Driving eats up gas, gas is expensive and no point in driving without a purpose. :(

I've done the lone SRV expedition - see here for log details:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/255626-The-Trans-Polar-Beagle-Point-2-Expedition

It was fun and scary and a challenge. In the end, it broke me. But I had a blast while it lasted. The idea of mounting a convoy-style expedition is the next natural step up and one that I would be keen to get involved in. This will be all about participation with endurance and adds a whole new dimension to ED for me. As for ED being empty, it's always been about other Cmdrs for me (despite flying for months alone). ED is a canvas or sandbox. What matters is the paint thrown onto it and the fun doing it with others!

Top Bottom