The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

Short update - I took Cmdr Hated Nightfall out to one of Veronica's small moons about 350 lys from Sol. It is 145km and orbits a gas giant close to the main star. It has a twin sister at 146km in orbit about the gas giant also. The terrain is rugged but not overly mountainous or gutted with ravines.

But look up - and what a sight!

[video=youtube;HAhqCWT9D3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAhqCWT9D3Y[/video]

I have a few more things to wrap up in the bubble, but this is my next endeavour. I plan on looking through the system maps of the stellar remnants I have tagged to see if there are any suitable circumnavigation candidates...geez I am itching to get back out there.

Being fairly new to the game (I've been playing for about 2 weeks-Xbox One), I've been trying to discover things on my own as much as possible. I swear that the first thing I said when I saw my first "potato" that I was going to land on it and explore it. I NEVER imagined there are people who've actually done it! I did bookmark the planet, so I know exactly where it is, but I'm looking at the 445km radius and after reading through this thread, I think I might have bitten off more than I can swallow. Is there a guide somewhere for choosing a celestial body to explore or circumnavigate? Maybe a mentor ride-along program should be on a to-do list! ��
Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for making me realize I'm not the only insane person in this galaxy!

Being fairly new to the game (I've been playing for about 2 weeks-Xbox One), I've been trying to discover things on my own as much as possible. I swear that the first thing I said when I saw my first "potato" that I was going to land on it and explore it. I NEVER imagined there are people who've actually done it! I did bookmark the planet, so I know exactly where it is, but I'm looking at the 445km radius and after reading through this thread, I think I might have bitten off more than I can swallow. Is there a guide somewhere for choosing a celestial body to explore or circumnavigate? Maybe a mentor ride-along program should be on a to-do list! ��
Anyway, I wanted to say thanks to everyone for making me realize I'm not the only insane person in this galaxy!

Just go for it!

You can leave anytime you like if it turns out to be not what you like, just don't blow up your ship like Cmdr Bomba Luigi.:D

Hey Draxomulus, nope, not the only one ... there's a few of us! [wacko]

Hmmm, 445km, so that's about 2700km circumference? It's certainly doable but it might be a fairly big bite for a first attempt. Have you tried any long distance driving? A good first experience I'd personally recommend is to drive the 50km from Elwood Camp to Fergusson Prospect on Wasat A2E. It's a fun drive with some interesting but not too difficult terrain. Set aside half an hour (it's doable in far less but, you know, for a first attempt) and give it a try. That'll give you a good idea how you feel about long SRV journeys plus you can time it, do the maths, and start to get a feel for how long the big journeys would take you.

If it's horrendously long then don't give up, keep practicing that Wasat run (and others) and you'll find your SRV speed and handling will improve in leaps and bounds (pun intended).

And if you're still looking for smaller bodies then there's a whole list hidden in a spoiler at the end of the OP.

o7

Last edited:
Hey Draxomulus, nope, not the only one ... there's a few of us! [wacko]

Hmmm, 445km, so that's about 2700km circumference? It's certainly doable but it might be a fairly big bite for a first attempt. Have you tried any long distance driving? A good first experience I'd personally recommend is to drive the 50km from Elwood Camp to Fergusson Prospect on Wasat A2E. It's a fun drive with some interesting but not too difficult terrain. Set aside half an hour (it's doable in far less but, you know, for a first attempt) and give it a try. That'll give you a good idea how you feel about long SRV journeys plus you can time it, do the maths, and start to get a feel for how long the big journeys would take you.

If it's horrendously long then don't give up, keep practicing that Wasat run (and others) and you'll find your SRV speed and handling will improve in leaps and bounds (pun intended).

And if you're still looking for smaller bodies then there's a whole list hidden in a spoiler at the end of the OP.

o7

I have about 3 hours total driving time in the SRV, but I was thinking about using it as an opportunity to master the art of SRV driving/fliving. One of the engineers I was at was planetside. Tod, The Blaster, maybe? But I was driving between the bases on that planet thinking it would be fun to explore. However, after reading through some more of this thread, I'm determined that Dao Kach B 1 is going to be my first attempt at circumnavigation. I guess I'll spend the evening educating myself on screenshot captures and posting... Is there a "Screenshot Posting for Dummies over 40" thread around here somewhere?

I have about 3 hours total driving time in the SRV...

I had 2.6km on my SRV-clock when I began my circumnavigation, so not a lot of experience is required. In my case, it was mostly "I want to drive, and this'll get me doing it", along with just having followed CMDR Nick Sticks's adventure that you've probably seen in the original post.

As CMDR Alec said above, get out and do a bit, and see how it makes you feel. There are a range of skills that you can develop in an SRV, from simple driving practice to full-blown fliving (fly-driving on bodies with extremely low gravity) and base-jumping off of some truly amazing cliffs.

Oh, and the wow-producing photography...

I have about 3 hours total driving time in the SRV, but I was thinking about using it as an opportunity to master the art of SRV driving/fliving. One of the engineers I was at was planetside. Tod, The Blaster, maybe? But I was driving between the bases on that planet thinking it would be fun to explore. However, after reading through some more of this thread, I'm determined that Dao Kach B 1 is going to be my first attempt at circumnavigation. I guess I'll spend the evening educating myself on screenshot captures and posting... Is there a "Screenshot Posting for Dummies over 40" thread around here somewhere?

Re: posting screenshots, what myself and a LOT of others do is use the free imgur image sharing service. You sign up for a free account and can then easily upload your images there. Once you've done that, to include them in the forum you just get the "bbcode" (imgur provides this but it's just the URL of your image with [img] ... [/img] around it really) and paste it into your forum post.

Last edited:
Re: posting screenshots, what myself and a LOT of others do is use the free imgur image sharing service. You sign up for a free account and can then easily upload your images there. Once you've done that, to include them in the forum you just get the "bbcode" (imgur provides this but it's just the URL of your image with [img] ... [/img] around it really) and paste it into your forum post.

You make it sound so easy. I imagine it is on PC, but what about Xbox? I know how to take screenshots using my Xbox, but sharing it to my activity feed is about the extent of my knowledge. Guess that narrows down my research quite a bit.

Note quite sure where to keep this but I've knocked up a little inforgraphic for a technique I used successfully on planet Wilson to get my SRV out of a deep trench that it fell into.

go8XKqo.png

You make it sound so easy. I imagine it is on PC, but what about Xbox? I know how to take screenshots using my Xbox, but sharing it to my activity feed is about the extent of my knowledge. Guess that narrows down my research quite a bit.

Have you figured it out yet. If not then I'm pretty sure I can dig out some help from somewhere. You could try asking in the Screenie(s) or Gratuitous Selfie threads as I'm sure I've seen images from XBOX users in there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom