Gravity: 0.07G
Radius: 283 km
Approximate distance travelled: 1850 km
Start & End point: 90/180 & 90/0. Circumnavigation -
Heading South: Longitude 180.
Heading North: Longitude 0.
Start/finish date: 17.11.3306 / 22.11.3306
Time taken: 25.5h
Evidence: Time-stamped location photos uploaded to PCC Discord.

Who's going to be the first to circumnavigate a body on foot once Odyssey drops? :D
61Vw4Ly.jpg

;)

A couple of new ongoing planetary circumnavigations to report on.

First, on the 19th December Cmdr Alvin Wall started circumnavigating Potrigua 2 a (a very beautiful looking place with some quite interesting terrain).

UQJz1aN.jpg

And second, on the 21st December Cmdr @sgurr started circumnavigating Pomeche 2 c ... yes, you read that right ... POMECHE 2 C!!!! (an extraordinary ice world, one of the wonders of the bubble and a living hell for any SRV driver in their right mind).

pomeche-ridge-on-approach-jpg.200765

You can follow Cmdr Wall's adventures in the PCC Discord and you can follow Cmdr Sgurr's adventures over here ..

srving-round-a-ridge-world-pomeche-2-c

I have just completed my circumnavigation of Nu Tauri 1a. This is a very hilly and dangerous world that tests the strength and agility of ones SRV. Most of my journery was in total darkness with night vision activated. I didn't find any mountains on this world but the constantly undulating terrain and numerous craters made the drive quite hazardous and interesting.

Cmdr name: V-4-Vendetta.
Planet/Moon: Nu Tauri 1a
Gravity: 0.05G
Radius: 190 km
Approximate distance travelled: 1200 km
Start & End point: 90/180 & 90/0.
Circumnavigation -
Heading South: Longitude 180.
Heading North: Longitude 0.
Start/finish date: 03.01.3307 / 10.01.3307
Time taken: 18h
Evidence: Updates and time-stamped location photos uploaded to PCC Discord.

Attachments

• V4 - Nu Tauri 1A - Evidence.JPG
    V4 - Nu Tauri 1A - Evidence.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 1,394
I posted this in Discord, but I'll repeat here. I'm currently adding features for both the route planner and locator to help with circumnavigation (e.g. plotting directly to know points such as equator, north/south pole). I've probably circled half a planet already in testing...

If anyone has any requests/suggestions for stuff you'd find useful to help circumnavigate, please let me know (probably best on the Tracker thread rather than this one if so). Any feedback on the VR panel would be welcome too.

I'll be doing a proper circumnavigation of the planet I'm testing on once the testing is complete. :)

Commander: Marcus Braxlyn
Planet/Moon: Synuefai HS-S B37-4 1 A
Gravity: 0.04G
Radius: 138Km
Date: 9 Feb - 10 Feb 3307
Start/End Point: -70° 0°
Time Taken: 10h 35min
Approximate Distance: 1024Km
Evidence: Screenshot every 10°, compiled into the video below

This was my first circumnavigation. Funnily enough, I had been thinking about doing something like this when I was out in the black. Then quite by chance I came across this thread and realised that its actually a thing. I chose the smallest moon I could find, within a reasonable distance, just to see how it would go and I'm glad now that I didn't try it when I was out in the black because my skill at landing from great heights, didn't improve as fast as my fliving did, with the expected result :rolleyes::D. Fortunately, there was a carrier just a quick 130ly away and I made several trips there around the middle third of the trip until I had learned to not only land/bounce better, but also to repair regularly.

Synuefai HS-S b37-4 1 a.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE="
[/QUOTE]

I can't figure out why the dailymotion video keeps disappearing, I've edited the post 3 times and each time it shows up fine then a minute later it gone, even though the code is still there in the post when I edit it
😤

I can't figure out why the dailymotion video keeps disappearing, I've edited the post 3 times and each time it shows up fine then a minute later it gone, even though the code is still there in the post when I edit it
😤

It's embded there for me.
It may be the issue where embeded videos aren't being dispalyed because of the recent marketing cookies change.
In your web browser delete cookies for the frontier forum. Then go back to the forum and you should be offered choices regarding marketing cookies. Accept them all and you should have embeded videos diplaying again.

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
It's embded there for me.
It may be the issue where embeded videos aren't being dispalyed because of the recent marketing cookies change.
In your web browser delete cookies for the frontier forum. Then go back to the forum and you should be offered choices regarding marketing cookies. Accept them all and you should have embeded videos diplaying again.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after checking it in another browser, I figured out it must just be me :p

Commander: Marcus Braxlyn
Planet/Moon: Synuefai HS-S B37-4 1 A
Gravity: 0.04G
Radius: 138Km
Date: 9 Feb - 10 Feb 3307
Start/End Point: -70° 0°
Time Taken: 10h 35min
Approximate Distance: 1024Km

This was my first circumnavigation. Funnily enough, I had been thinking about doing something like this when I was out in the black. Then quite by chance I came across this thread and realised that its actually a thing. I chose the smallest moon I could find, within a reasonable distance, just to see how it would go and I'm glad now that I didn't try it when I was out in the black because my skill at landing from great heights, didn't improve as fast as my fliving did, with the expected result :rolleyes::D. Fortunately, there was a carrier just a quick 130ly away and I made several trips there around the middle third of the trip until I had learned to not only land/bounce better, but also to repair regularly.

View attachment 207912
Congratulations Cmdr Braxlyn, a fantastic achievment. Welcome to the Planetary Circumnavigation Club. Glad to hear your flyving has improved, one more circumnavigation and hopefully your ability to cleanly plant those high altitude landings will be equal to it! 😜

1042c5fd6bdda0c7d012b79e4e4db936.gif

IMPORTANT NEWS FOR THIS THREAD
From the information contained in Kay Ross's talk on last night's Discovery Scanner livestream many people will already have twigged that the terrain features on all the landable planets that we're currently familiar with from Horizons are going to change with the launch of Odyssey.

To be clear what I mean by this is that notable planetary features like canyons, mountains, ridges, valleys, craters, etc that we're currently familiar with will almost certainly no longer exist in Odyssey in their current form. Don't get me wrong, these kinds of features will all still exist, but they'll be in completely different locations and arrangements.

Since one of the consequences of this is that all pre-existing "race tracks" (by which I mean interesting planetary locations that have been scouted, mapped and bookmarked by the racing community as good places to hold SRV or canyon based ship racing events) will cease to exist in their current form, Frontier were kind enough to reach out to me on Wednesday asking if I could spread the word on this subject. For the avoidance of chinese whispers I think it's best if I simply quote that message directly.
I have some news which will affect future Buckyball (and other organised) races in Elite that I want to share with you.
It’s no secret that planets will change a lot when Odyssey lands. Given the way the Stellar Forge produces landscapes on each planet, the update will mean a regeneration of all land formations (canyons, ridges, valleys etc.) on planets which have them. To a large degree, the regeneration will be random (working within certain criteria for each planet such as being an ice world). Unfortunately, this means existing race courses are very likely to change.
While it’s possible some planets will remain great for racing, we imagine this will mean groups like the Buckyball Racers will want to find new places to determine courses. We’d like to offer our support here in particular. If any of the racing groups choose to hold a racetrack discovery competition or similar, we’re more than happy to sponsor them with prizes and promotion to help re-establish this key part of the racing community.
So, when Odyssey launches, things like the existing Buckyball "Pomeche Ridge Challenge" and "Cortes Drag Strip Challenge" will come to an end, their scoreboards will be frozen and we'll begin a search to find new venues for these challenges with fresh new leaderboards.

Although I will be sad to see these much loved locations go I totally appreciate the need for this (it's kind of a consequence of a very complex procedural generation algorithm, there's a butterfly effect, so if you change the algorithm even slightly, let alone with the large changes no doubt required for Odyssey, you're going to get completely different results coming out of the other end). Personally I'm very excited by this prospect and can't wait to see what this new world looks like!

So, what existing planetary features will you be most sad to lose and what new features are you must loooking forward to finding?

Top Bottom