The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

Quick end of day scoreboard update as our most enthusiastic competitor, Cmdr Alice Cooper, continues his inexorable pursuit of the 90% good run.

q1u2KVl.png

On the last sectoin I kept getting a bit too ambitious with my 'flights' and the inevitable eventually happened (how I ended up halfway down the cliff face doing my best spider in the bathtub impression), it snaked, I didn't, and the great thing about to doing that is that you have plenty of time just thinking about what you've done as you sail gracefully into the abyss. Definitely stay a bit closer to the ground, even Alec spun it around a couple of times, so there's hope.

Oh that was my best run! I've flown off the side of the Black (and even Red) sections several times now. Possibly the worst thing about falling down those steep sides is knowing that (as you sail downwards just metres off the ground), if you could only make contact with the ground, you still might be able to skid to a stop and somehow save the run from utter disaster! Actually no - the worst bit is definitely the moment when you realise you and the ridge are about to part company. It's like you're watching the full horror of it play out in slow motion - which of course you are.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
Well - at 29 mins for the first leg on my first attempt I'll not even bother sending in the screenshots.

Somehow I got totally turned around and was driving in circles for some time before realising I was heading back towards the starting point :(

Well - at 29 mins for the first leg on my first attempt I'll not even bother sending in the screenshots.

Somehow I got totally turned around and was driving in circles for some time before realising I was heading back towards the starting point :(

Use the turret trick to fix a bearing maybe ?

I really shouldn't laugh but ... the idea that someone who's just finishing circumnavigating their way around an entire moon should get lost driving along a straight narrow ridge ... sorry but ...

giphy.gif
:)
Use the turret trick to fix a bearing maybe ?
Alas a trick that Frontier haved "fixed" in the Q4 update! :mad:

I'm feeling somewhat bad about having my beta run (with the missing surface scatter rocks) on the scoreboard so I was running the course again this morning but I think I may have been trying a tad too hard! A quick blooper real for your viewing pleasure.

Source: https://youtu.be/GTajrnFQqEs

I never made it to the Red finish line but, on the plus side, I did manage an improved Blue run time! :D

5YscttX.png

hReYTxS.png
XHLjSlD.png

Last edited:
I should probably pace myself a bit on these scoreboard updates but right now I'm just excited everytime I get a new submission. So, a quick afternoon update:

U88FXck.png

Cmdr Toberius, who's clearly enjoying the course a lot, has submitted a quick "test" entry, and not a bad one at that. Taking some basic maths errors into account, his 17m 23s Blue run puts him in 5th place, just 2 seconds ahead of Eryn Liamson! If I were Eryn I wouldn't stand for that and I'd be right back out on the course to reclaim my place in the top five!

Last edited:
Fairly self explanatory screenie that shows how I've been spending my morning ...

voJmRrY.png

Scoreboard update coming later with at least 8 new times (only two of which are mine).

It's scoreboard update time and we have 8 new entries today.

Lj4Jt3d.png

First up is Cmdr Reighdar who, despite numerous spins and rock obstacles, has completed his first Blue run, driving "Did I Leave The Gas On?" over the line in a time of 18:56, a full minute ahead of Perfect Tommy's Turtle.

Next we have a full set of runs from Cmdr Toberius in the Pebble, who despite numerous alchoholic beverages (what's the Pilots Federation's stance on drinking and driving?) completed the Blue run in 16:29 (a minute faster than his previous attempt), the Red run in 33:28 (just over 30 seconds ahead of Alice Cooper) and the Black run in 48:30 (which, despite currently landing in last place, is still an awesome achievment as many of the other drivers will testify).

Returning to the ridge we also have improved Blue and Red times from Darplata94's Shadow, the former in 12:59 and the latter in 25:08, both retaining 3rd place in their respective scoreboards.

And lastly, I've now managed to replace all of my beta "Pace Car" times with "proper" live build runs using a fleet of new SRV's named "Live and Dangerous". Nothing new to announce in the Blue run (apart from fixing the name of my SRV) but in my 2nd attempt of the day I managed a Red run time of 16:24 ..
saed3bb.png

r1IibGB.png
.. and in my 4th attempt, a Black run time of 25:02 (retaking 1st place just 50 seconds ahead of Cmdr Greytest) ..
T0Kazjv.png

HTUn1P3.png
I'll be leaving Pomeche for now to go and focus on the SpeedBowl II gravity surfing event at Bombelli Prospect on GCRV 52424 A 4. Good luck to everyone tackling the Pomeche Ridge Challenge and keep those times (and tales) coming!

o7

I get the feeling someone created this event to show off! =D
Damn, I've been rumbled! [haha]

We can't have that! I'LL BE BACK!!! (After bombing Bombelli =P )
Excellent, that's the spirit!

In truth I'm grabbing my chance at glory while it's there. [yesnod] From past experience in other events there's a fair few people (mentioning no names) who should be able to do this significantly faster than me and I can't wait to see what times they're capable of.

I just finished my first run--what a rush! That last leg is terrifying! Thanks for setting up this event. This was my first race. I might be hooked. Time for a beer.

Well deserved I'd say! Here's todays scoreboard update ...

y9EunUq.png

We have two new entries, both completing all three runs, both incredibly evenly matched!

Cmdr Ohenseberg let me introduce Cmdr Soxs, Cmdr Soxs let me introduce Cmd Ohenseberg.

You two finished the Blue run within 6 seconds of each other, got separated somewhere along the Red but then finished the Black with just 2 seconds between you.

Incredible!

I reckon a re-match is required!

Last edited:
pUtGmlZ.png

Two new entries today. First we have Cmdr Bam driving the "Scenic Route" who wins the Ridge Challenge perseverance award by pushing on through a 10th place 17:58 Blue run and a 9th place 43:46 Red run to succesfully complete the "nasty" Black run that has defeated several other drivers in a final time of 1:01:18. Bravo sir, that's some bold determination right there!

And then we have the first submission from Cmdr Turkwinif who, either purposefully or by misadventure, is thus far just focusing on the Blue run and has turned in a truly excellent time of 12:50 to bump Darplata94 out of the 3rd place podium slot by just 9 seconds.

Top Bottom