The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

Scoreboard update!

RzvHw9P.png

A fair bit of activity over the weekend. First of all Cmdr Toberius just missed the last update but managed a new 9th place Blue run time of 16:23 and an 8th place Red run time of 32:34 (just 8 seconds behind Ohenseberg).

Next Cmdr Reighdar (aka Ian Phillips) submitted improved Blue and Red run times of 17:54 and 36:52 respectively, narrowly missing the end of the Black run after an unplanned ridge departure incident.

Then we had a flurry of submissions (3 sets in total) from Cmdr Turkwinif who's just getting better and better and wins the "most persistent assault on the podium" award, now sitting 4th in all three categories with a Blue run time of 10:03, a Red run time of 21:10 and a Black run time of 28:30.

And lastly we have new submissions from Darplata94 who's sat right behind Turkwinif (his "Shadow" if you will!) in all three categories, completing the Red run in 24:40 and the Black run in 35:21.

Awesome racing everyone - this challenge is turning out to be everything I'd hoped for!

P.S. I finally got to watch Tannik Seldon's winning Black run this morning. After a shaky start on the Blue where he made my most common mistake of going too far right and having to cling to the slopes as he desperately struggled to get back on top, he quickly recovered with a text book Red run and a truly audacious assault on the Black. Despite lots of room for improvement this is well worth a watch and clearly suggests that it won't be long before we see the 20 minute barrier being well and truly broken!

Just wanted to remind people of one of the rules ...

At each finish line, in order to qualify for that section you must capture an image which again shows the coordinates and the clock and must also show you clearly still up on the ridge and at an altitude below 40m. If you are above 40m then your finish screenshot must be taken once you've fallen back below that altitude (and still on the ridge).

This rule is there for two reasons. Firstly it prevents people from submitting, say, a Blue run time taken when they're in the process of irrevocably flying off the side of the ridge and just happen to cross the finish line while doing so (in this case they have not successfully stayed on the ridge all the way to the end of the Blue run). Secondly it prevents someone, through whatever means, attaining massive altitude and speed very early on and then simply flying over some or most of the course, vaguely in the direction the ridge is running but not necessarily ever making contact with it again. I did originally consider requiring each screenshot to be at zero altitude but decided to cut you some slack 'cos it's quite hard to capture that precise moment when you're bounding along the ridge at speed.

Also - to further clarify - your time for each section will be that shown in the screenshot. For example, if you fly 200m above the Blue finish line at 10:35:00 and then come back down 40m above the ridge at 10:35:30 then the latter would be your Blue run finish time.

Last edited:
That's amazing: you didn't fly *over* the black section, you flew *around* most of it!

I was about ready to give up at that part, too! I saw how far I'd swung out and how steep the upcoming slopes were, but I still tried to salvage it and oh boy am I glad I did. Braben smiled upon me with that landing, I should've been dead as dirt.

Last edited:
Awesome news on the breaking of the 20 minute barrier ... by not one but TWO commanders! :eek:

But who was the other, and who was first?

Tune in later to find out!

That's amazing: you didn't fly *over* the black section, you flew *around* most of it!

I was about ready to give up at that part, too! I saw how far I'd sung out and how steep the upcoming slopes were, but I still tried to salvage it and oh boy am I glad I did. Braben smiled upon me with that landing, I should've been dead as dirt.

Just watched that bit - yup, I thought you were a gonna for sure! [haha]

Oh my! I just finished watching both 20min breaking videos ... this is extraordinary stuff, the Pomeche Ridge Challenge just got taken to a whole new level. Scoreboard coming in about an hour ... after my morning coffee.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you - the 20 minute barrier breaking scoreboard update!

At around 3:30pm yesterday (sorry Turkwinif) Cmdr Brabston Timmy (aka subhouse07) submitted the first set of runs to break the Black run 20 minute barrier. Unfortunately, due to contention with the altitude rule his original submission had to be checked and revised somewhat due to the initial times and screenshots being made while at considerable altitude. Meanwhile, Cmdr Turkwinif continued his assault on the scoreboard, submitting no fewer than 5 further race submissions, each showing gradual improvement and culminating with his own 20 minute barrier breaking run at around 3:30am this morning.

The scoreboard currently stands as follows:

4lqD2sb.png

So, in the Blue run Turkwinif takes 2nd place with a time of 7:43 while Brabston got off to a (relatively) slow start, taking 4th place with a time of 8:40.

Then, in the Red run, Turkwinif storms into 1st place with a time of 13:54 while Brabston's "Big Gulp" (now closing in) takes 2nd place with a time of 14:19.

And finally, in the Black run, Turkwinif slithers into 2nd place with 18:09 while Brabston sails overhead, bounds across the Black line to land a 17:09 and then ploughs on for some considerable distance afterwards.

Congratulations to both Brabston, Timmy and Turkwinif for raising the bar just in time for tonight's episode of Lave Radio (which will be coming to you live from the ridge)!

P.S. I'm going to see if I can put together a split-screen video for the Brabson vs. Turkwinif showdown. In the meantime I'm sure Mr Brabston won't mind if I post the video of his run ..

[video=youtube_share;x3UaMFrWkAk]https://youtu.be/x3UaMFrWkAk[/video]

Last edited:
Hats off to Brabston, he shows great skill in handling the SRV and absolutely destroyed me in that head-to-head race. I’ll continue to be running in open if he’s up for another go at it! :)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you - the 20 minute barrier breaking scoreboard update!

At around 3:30pm yesterday (sorry Turkwinif) Cmdr Brabston Timmy (aka subhouse07) submitted the first set of runs to break the Black run 20 minute barrier. Unfortunately, due to contention with the altitude rule his original submission had to be checked and revised somewhat due to the initial times and screenshots being made while at considerable altitude. Meanwhile, Cmdr Turkwinif continued his assault on the scoreboard, submitting no fewer than 5 further race submissions, each showing gradual improvement and culminating with his own 20 minute barrier breaking run at around 3:30am this morning.

The scoreboard currently stands as follows:

So, in the Blue run Turkwinif takes 2nd place with a time of 7:43 while Brabston got off to a (relatively) slow start, taking 4th place with a time of 8:40.

Then, in the Red run, Turkwinif storms into 1st place with a time of 13:54 while Brabston's "Big Gulp" (now closing in) takes 2nd place with a time of 14:19.

And finally, in the Black run, Turkwinif slithers into 2nd place with 18:09 while Brabston sails overhead, bounds across the Black line to land a 17:09 and then ploughs on for some considerable distance afterwards.

Congratulations to both Brabston, Timmy and Turkwinif for raising the bar just in time for tonight's episode of Lave Radio (which will be coming to you live from the ridge)!

P.S. I'm going to see if I can put together a split-screen video for the Brabson vs. Turkwinif showdown. In the meantime I'm sure Mr Brabston won't mind if I post the video of his run ..

I'd love to see that split screen vid!

And to Turkwinif I'd love to do another head to head!

The 20 minute barrier has been surpassed.

-Start: https://i.imgur.com/gx9WZGw.png
-Blue: 7:43 https://i.imgur.com/eFbFeko.png
-Red: 13:54 https://i.imgur.com/6BdXuI7.png
-Black: 18:09 https://i.imgur.com/2YxFSBf.png

Many, many SRVs were harmed in the making of these time trials.

That close call around 15:00 was one of the slickest gravity defying stunts I have seen, wow!

Your wish is my command!
I should be working right now

Last edited:
Never tried a Buckyball race before, but it was great fun, even if I did fall off the ridge not far after the Blue finish line! :)

How on earth do people complete the whole run in less time than I do just the first bit??? (Oh right, it's not on Earth! :D )

On Last night's Lave Radio myself, Colin and Kurgol all had a go. Colin and Kurgol didn't finish black sadly though Colin was close! The whole evening's fun can be found here https://www.twitch.tv/videos/344650944

I'll work out the rest when I have a chance but I'm going for the black run wooden spoon just now! :)

Start - 21:12:46
Blue - 21:33:00 (ish) - the camera was off but I can see that at 21:33:12 I have definitely run Blue
Red - 21:54:27
Black - 22:21:31 - Landing after that end jump 22:21:44 - and stopped and not moving! 22:21:51

So
Blue 21m 14s
Red 41m 41s
Black 1hr 8m 45s

I'll take it and thanks you Alec for a hell of a fun run!

Last edited:
It's the 2nd week of the Pomeche Ridge challenge and, after a continuous and persistent assault, Cmdr Turkwinif finally p0wns the leaderboard!

Ceio829.png

Last night, just minutes before I was due to guest on Lave Radio (who ran the ridge live on air - see below) I received the news that the last of my winning times had been smashed as Turkwinif completed the Blue run in 6:42!

Just an hour later and he was back with a new Red run time of 11:53 and a truly astounding Black run time of 13:28 which cements his position at the top. Time to take a well earned break before Ridge madness sets in I think? Bravo sir - a masterclass in relentless improvement.

Next it's a brand new entry from Cmdr DribNaib who, having never attempted anything like this before, submits a highly respectable time of 15:30 to take 10th place in the Blue run before falling off the ridge shortly afterwards. Nice going "Old Timer"!

Then we have another new competitor, Cmdr Hawkus Alpha, who completed the Blue run in 18:50 and managed to stay up on the ridge for a Red run time of 39:32.

And last but by no means least, our first PS4 driver Cmdr Bob Lighthouse proves that it is possible to pilot the SRV on console for ar least half an hour without the game crashing - completing the Blue run in 16:54 and the Red run in 34:16.

Congratulations to everyone who's taken part so far and huge thanks for turning this into such a lively competition!

As mentioned above, last night's episode of Lave Radio came to you live from the Pomeche ridge. Three members of the Lave Radio team (along with yours truly) took part in the race, with Cmdr Souvarine (Sagittarius Eye chief editor) hosting the show and providing air commentary (as well as some kinetic "incentive" to keep us moving). The full stream is available to watch now on Youtube.

[video=youtube_share;X263gXdVVXQ]https://youtu.be/X263gXdVVXQ[/video]

Full disclosure, although I did get off to a decent start (video to come later) I failed to pay attention to my heading and suffered an unplanned and embarrassing ridge departure about half way into the Blue run (although I subsequently managed to recover some dignity by flying back to the start, deploying a 2nd SRV and catching the others up before the end of that section :D). Special congratulations to EidLeWeise for completing the Black run (in whatever time) and I'll be attempting to work out scoreboard entries from the stream later on (any screenshots/help greatly appreciated).

Top Bottom