The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

Quick scoreboard update.

U45Yves.png

Cmdr PrimetimeCasual has returned to the ridge and managed to shave a minute off his Blue run time, leapfrogging Darplata94 to take 8th place. He'll need to shave 2 minutes to do the same in Red and just over 5 minutes to do the same in Black! (not that I would ever attempt to stir up some friendly rivalry between two commanders simply to bolster the ratings of my race! [yesnod])

Cmdr PrimetimeCasual has returned to the ridge and managed to shave a minute off his Blue run time, leapfrogging Darplata94 to take 8th place. He'll need to shave 2 minutes to do the same in Red and just over 5 minutes to do the same in Black! (not that I would ever attempt to stir up some friendly rivalry between two commanders simply to bolster the ratings of my race! [yesnod])

Oh, the times are tempting, and I was quite on the way... Unfortunately further attempts will have to wait "a bit" - I'm on DW2. ;)

Attention!

It seems the rock clearance on the ridge was only a temporary measure.

You have approximately 15hrs to take advantage of the current rock free state of the course!

Believe me, even with those rocks cleared it was of no advantage to me!

I won't be doing the run for a while as I've just set off for Sagittarius A* from Colonia but if I need a change of scenery I'll give it a go.

Quick plug for the latest issue of Sagittarius Eye magazine which just came out.

It features my first full article for the magazine in which I attempt to explain how to drive the SRV like a boss.

Hope you folks like it and find it useful!

Last edited:
Crikey - we're already at scoreboard update number 25!

ynFeBup.png

Today sees a brand new entry from Cmdr k0hb0t. Welcome to the ridge commander, always a genuine pleasure to see someone new show up here and what a thoroughly respectable time you've posted too. Completing the Blue run in 17m 8s, k0hb0t drops "Corvus" into 19th place, just 12 seconds behind Bob Lighthouse's as yet unnamed SRV.

o7

Lots of good videos here.
I've been meaning to do this for ages and I have an entry!

My first thought was, "That doesn't look too bad, I'm alright at SRV'ing"
Hoo boy. Very, very wrong was I.

Never before in the annals of my SRV driving have I bounced in so many random directions, nor felt so queasy in VR [noob], nor found so many invisible rocks that stopped me dead.
Also, finding the screenshot key when you can't see the keyboard is, apparently, hard!

I've had a few goes now. The SRV Exit Stage Left did just that several times, although miraculously I managed to keep it one piece despite ~9km descents until a particularly enthuastic encounter with checkpoint blue (finish line fever). I also managed to take a number of screenshots at the right time but without the necessary information on screen [noob] again.

I finally made a (hopefully) legit run in the SRV Maybe This Time. Weirdly, it felt easier to keep a good line on the red and black sections. Anyway,

Start - 10:12:10
Blue finish - 10:25:45 - 13min 35s
Red finish - 10:36:40 - 10min 55s, 24min 30s total
Black finish - 10:44:37 - 7min 57s, 32min 27s total

Screenshots:
Start
H56oSUR.jpg

Blue finish
BkE078b.jpg

Red finish
1jysOWf.jpg

Black finish - ahem, nestled in the wall beyond the finish. Good thing it was there ...
wjdVMCZ.jpg

Lots of good videos here.
I've been meaning to do this for ages and I have an entry!

My first thought was, "That doesn't look too bad, I'm alright at SRV'ing"
Hoo boy. Very, very wrong was I.

Never before in the annals of my SRV driving have I bounced in so many random directions, nor felt so queasy in VR [noob], nor found so many invisible rocks that stopped me dead.
Also, finding the screenshot key when you can't see the keyboard is, apparently, hard!

I've had a few goes now. The SRV Exit Stage Left did just that several times, although miraculously I managed to keep it one piece despite ~9km descents until a particularly enthuastic encounter with checkpoint blue (finish line fever). I also managed to take a number of screenshots at the right time but without the necessary information on screen [noob] again.

I finally made a (hopefully) legit run in the SRV Maybe This Time. Weirdly, it felt easier to keep a good line on the red and black sections. Anyway,

Start - 10:12:10
Blue finish - 10:25:45 - 13min 35s
Red finish - 10:36:40 - 10min 55s, 24min 30s total
Black finish - 10:44:37 - 7min 57s, 32min 27s total

Screenshots:
Start

Blue finish

Red finish

Black finish - ahem, nestled in the wall beyond the finish. Good thing it was there ...

Glorious! I'll check your entry now and get the scoreboard updated. As Aken says - welcome the ridge and bravo on completing the black run!

It's been quiet around here for a while huh?

Anyway, ladies and gentlemen of the ridge ... we have a new entry!

EbDAmz4.png

Cmdr Sgurr, in the brilliantly named "Exit Stage Left", falls just shy of the top 10 on the Blue run, taking 11th place in 13m 35s but storms the top 10 in Red and Black by taking 6th place on both runs with times of 23m 30s and 32m 27s respectively. That's some pretty awesome driving from a first time Buckyballer. Congratulations commander. Next stop - the top 5!

Just gave another shot at it. Think I'll rename my SRV "Exit Stage Everywhere", it just doesn't want to stay on that ridge, each and every bounce. It's amazing as much as it's infuriating :D

Incidentally, I should also have a time for the red run at last (and at least), no time to upload it today, I'll do it tomorrow if I don't manage to make any better run in the meantime.

Just gave another shot at it. Think I'll rename my SRV "Exit Stage Everywhere", it just doesn't want to stay on that ridge, each and every bounce. It's amazing as much as it's infuriating :D

:D and lots of understanding nods

Incidentally, I should also have a time for the red run at last (and at least), no time to upload it today, I'll do it tomorrow if I don't manage to make any better run in the meantime.

I'm gonna be 7th all of a sudden aren't I ;)

And thanks for the kind words Alec

STOP PRESS

It looks like the 10 minute barrier might have been broken on the Red run! :eek:

I'll post a proper update tomorrow when I have access to the scoreboard.

Well, the champion of the ridge, Cmdr Turkwinif, is back!

He' taking a brief respite from DW2 as his alter ego Cmdr Jaunte (although I'm leaving the scoreboard entries under Turkwinif for simplicity) and he's basically improved on all of his already incredible times, smashing the Blue run's 5 minute barrier (4m 26s), the Red run's 10 minute barrier (9m 57s) and very nearly the Black run's 10 minute barrier too (10m 26s). Truly extraordinary - can anyone else even come close? (he seems to be in a league by himself here!).

Meanwhile, back in the land of us mortals Cmdr Aken B. tightens his grip on 6th place in the Blue run with an improved time of 9m 5s and drops into 6th place in the Red run with an equally excellent time of 21m 51s. Now all he needs is a time around the 28m mark on the Black run to hold 6th place in all three.

m79yVRh.png

Last edited:
It's been a while but welcome back to the Pomeche Turkwinif Ridge Challenge and an astounding run from the reigning champion of the ridge.

kviA9EG.png

I have no further superlatives left. Blue run in 4 minutes and 3 seconds and red run in 8 minutes and 11 seconds.

I'll let the video say all that needs to be said:

[video=youtube_share;lAv7drF8g5Y]https://youtu.be/lAv7drF8g5Y[/video]

Top Bottom