The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

Yes, good & all... but what about the black run?

Kidding, of course, that's some truly spectacular SRV-wrangling there. Amazing run!

Thanks! Believe me, finishing the Black run in under 10 minutes is the end goal (and I suppose a sub-4 minute Blue run now is, too!), it's just that the Blue section of the race is by far the most brutal and unforgiving. I've lost so many SRVs in just the first part alone that passing the Blue finish line is an accomplishment of its own. After that the speeds get so high I often find myself flung off the ridge and unable to return. I love this race though because anyone can pick it up and continuously improve without devoting too much time to it and it's enough of a challenge that it doesn't seem to get boring over time.

I just watched Turkwinif's video - the first 8 or 9 minutes are a thing of absolute beauty! [heart] [where is it] [woah] [haha]

P.S. Turkwinif - you really ought to come on the First Great Planetary Expedition! [yesnod]

Last edited:
Woo hoo! This weekend brings a new contestant to the ridge. Fresh from racing Type 9's through canyons (and thus no stranger to high-speed lunacy) Cmdr Stoney X-1 finds the ridge "way harder" than the top drivers are making it look but nevertheless has submitted some excellent times. Our 30th competitor, he drives his Teabaggin' Buggy into 10th place on the Blue run in a time of 12m 56s, 11th place on the Red run in 30m 35s (just 1 second faster than Soxs!) and 12th place on the notorious Black run in 45m 44s.

KRdSQFm.png

Bravo commander and welcome to the ridge!

Woo hoo! This weekend brings a new contestant to the ridge. Fresh from racing Type 9's through canyons (and thus no stranger to high-speed lunacy) Cmdr Stoney X-1 finds the ridge "way harder" than the top drivers are making it look but nevertheless has submitted some excellent times. Our 30th competitor, he drives his Teabaggin' Buggy into 10th place on the Blue run in a time of 12m 56s, 11th place on the Red run in 30m 35s (just 1 second faster than Soxs!) and 12th place on the notorious Black run in 45m 44s.

Bravo commander and welcome to the ridge!

P.S. forgot to say - best Red run finish line screenshot ever! [haha]

aJtM6Ap.jpg

@stoney X-1, that's a classy evidence screenshot :)👏

Oh and FTFY ;)

Edit: and ps, I'm going to have another crack at this now I've got a whole Kumay of kms of practice behind me.
I'll confess that I have been back to the ridge twice since Kumay. On both occasions it was pitch black but I thought, "bah - after that I can tackle anything, this'll be a walk in the park, podium position here I come" and on both occasions, as I sailed off the ridge and down into the black, thought "crap, this is every bit as difficult as it was before Kumay". :ROFLMAO:

P.S. actually quite pleased that this remains a real test of SRV driving skill which requires the driver to truly learn and master the course (a course which is nowhere near as straight as you might at first imagine).

Good luck!

I'll confess that I have been back to the ridge twice since Kumay. On both occasions it was pitch black but I thought, "bah - after that I can tackle anything, this'll be a walk in the park, podium position here I come" and on both occasions, as I sailed off the ridge and down into the black, thought "crap, this is every bit as difficult as it was before Kumay". :ROFLMAO:

P.S. actually quite pleased that this remains a real test of SRV driving skill which requires the driver to truly learn and master the course (a course which is nowhere near as straight as you might at first imagine).

Good luck!
Ha, yeah I might have to fly over it and map out that whole rally driving "at this many degrees, blind dip, bounce high, take heading " etc

I still don't think I ever exited right, maybe this time.

It is on my list of things to do. Though as I haven't even checked what planet it is on yet, I guess it isn't too high on my list. :D
It's good fun and a real challenge, if a little frustrating as you (or me at least) exit from the ridge for the nth time. I'm still there (Pomeche 2C btw) if you fancy a crack at it.

Anyway, I got a little obsessed and I've done a thing:

Blue - 5:55
Red - 10:53
Black - 15:35

While I could be a lot luckier/skillful on the black section I think any further runs won't see me improving much on this with my current approach so I'm going to stop there.

Probably.

However, folk should definitely give it a go, it's a lot of fun.

ps. if you're reading this turkwinif your record run's been taken off youtube, I never got a chance to see the master at work
pps. vr is definitely an advantage

It's good fun and a real challenge, if a little frustrating as you (or me at least) exit from the ridge for the nth time. I'm still there (Pomeche 2C btw) if you fancy a crack at it.

I'm four jumps away so I'll head over and take a look tomorrow. I'm just breaking in a new Odyssey+ (replaced my Rift), so it'll be an interesting test. The difference in image quality between the Rift and the Odyssey+ is remarkable.

I'm four jumps away so I'll head over and take a look tomorrow. I'm just breaking in a new Odyssey+ (replaced my Rift), so it'll be an interesting test. The difference in image quality between the Rift and the Odyssey+ is remarkable.
Isn't it, I've got an Odyssey+ too.

Good luck!

Anyway, I got a little obsessed and I've done a thing:

Blue - 5:55
Red - 10:53
Black - 15:35

While I could be a lot luckier/skillful on the black section I think any further runs won't see me improving much on this with my current approach so I'm going to stop there.

Probably.

However, folk should definitely give it a go, it's a lot of fun.

ps. if you're reading this turkwinif your record run's been taken off youtube, I never got a chance to see the master at work
pps. vr is definitely an advantage
Awesome! At a glance I make that 2nd place in all three classes - bravo! Official judication and scoreboard update coming soon.

After lying dormant for the better part of a month, partly due to the great and the good of the SRV world either heading off on Distant Worlds 2 or else heading down to Kumay for the First Great Planetary Expedition we finally have movement on the Pomeche Ridge scoreboard in the form of Cmdr Sgurr who's dramatically improved his standing, leaping up to take second place in all three challenges!

Er9JXjK.png

He's more than halved his Blue run time turning in a blistering run of 5m 55s, he's more than halved his Red run time with a stupendous 10m 53s and he's more then halved his Black run time with a monumental 15m 35s. Not only that but he did it all in the dark!

Epic work commander - congratulations on some really stunning improvements!

The question now on my mind is ... where are all those folks who cut their teeth on the Kumay circumnavigation and ended up being able to happily maintain average speeds in excess of 100m/s?

The Ridge is ready whenever you are!

Last edited:
So, for my first run I'm not even sure if I went the right way along the ridge (I've checked the bearing and instructions again now, so future runs should be fine). :D The sun is up at the moment, I'm hoping it will hang around for a while.

I'm having a break for a bit then will be back to try a few runs. My first run (whether I was going the right way or not) ended with me falling down the side and managing to come to a stop at 12% health (I thought I was going to pop at one point - I got to 12% on the first bounce, and then had several more at over 100m/s!!). I've brought 3 SRVs with me and I'm not planning on repairing any of them outside my ship. I came to a stop on a ledge, and recalled my ship. It came right to me, and hovered directly in front of me for a hot pick-up - that was awesome. :)

Top Bottom