The Pomeche Ridge Challenge: a standing SRV time trial in association with the Buckyball Racing Club

ps. when you glasgow kissed (head butted) the wall at the end did you have a moment of "I'm aliiive!" or were you confident it wouldn't do enough damage?
I was confident that I was either dead or that I would survive but bounce off the side of the ridge from the recoil. I was not anticipating the SRV face-tanking 230m/s and setting me down gently at all.
What controller are you using @turkwinif ? The up and down looks like a mouse, but not so for left and right... Or are you using keyboard for up and down (I've been considering trying this, as a HOTAS does not give fine control of this - at least, not in my hands!).
MzapFJ1.png
Keyboard and mouse! I find that this helps a lot with keeping the SRV level while flyving since the only roll would be from A and D, and quickly tapping them to level out the SRV relative to the ground right before landing is easier than controlling the roll by moving the mouse from one side of the screen to the other. This bring it in line with my preference of having roll bound to A and D when flying a ship, too. Are you doing this with HOTAS and VR?! Madman, I say!

Last edited:
Keyboard and mouse! I find that this helps a lot with keeping the SRV level while flyving since the only roll would be from A and D, and quickly tapping them to level out the SRV relative to the ground right before landing is easier than controlling the roll by moving the mouse from one side of the screen to the other. This bring it in line with my preference of having roll bound to A and D when flying a ship, too. Are you doing this with HOTAS and VR?! Madman, I say!

That makes a lot of sense, and I thought as much from your video. When you see my videos, you can see that regularly I am all over the place with my HOTAS. :) But... HOTAS and VR is what makes driving the SRV so much fun! Especially now I've got used to the Odyssey+ - it's so much better than the Rift it has just replaced.

I might have to experiment with using the keyboard... Which I suspect will result in far more explosions in the short term.

I was not anticipating the SRV face-tanking 230m/s and setting me down gently at all.

I've done this a few times now in various places. I think the crucial point is that your front wheels hit first. They seem to be able to absorb a huge amount of damage - so long as they are in the right place!

Right, I think I'm going to give the course a few more attempts now (though not with keyboard) and then I'll move on for a bit. I have a feeling I'll be visiting Pomeche fairly regularly, though...

Last edited:
He's back and he's broken the 10 minute barrier on the Black! No other words are necessary.

s6FMI03.png

I'm sorely tempted to offer a store credit prize to anyone who can beat this. I'll think about it and maybe do so after my holiday as an insentive to attract more people to the ridge.

It's dark on the ridge at the moment, so I gave it one run and that was all. I've found an interesting mountain on the daylight side of the planet - the terrain on Pomeche is amazing. I still haven't seen the Epic Mountain Range in daylight yet - in night vision it was impressive, I want to return when I can see it.

If anyone is up for meeting up at the Ridge at some point over the weekend, let me know. If we could get a few people there all attempting to do it, it would be great fun. I suspect I'll still be falling off more often than completing any of the runs.

It's dark on the ridge at the moment, so I gave it one run and that was all. I've found an interesting mountain on the daylight side of the planet - the terrain on Pomeche is amazing. I still haven't seen the Epic Mountain Range in daylight yet - in night vision it was impressive, I want to return when I can see it.

If anyone is up for meeting up at the Ridge at some point over the weekend, let me know. If we could get a few people there all attempting to do it, it would be great fun. I suspect I'll still be falling off more often than completing any of the runs.
Note: I'll be on holiday but if you do manage to drum up interest in a weekend meetup on the ridge it might be worth pinging Buur and Rheeney on the Planetary Discord as I know they're always interested in coming along to film shenanigans like this and it's really nice to have a well filmed video record of these sort of events.

I'm sorely tempted to offer a store credit prize to anyone who can beat this. I'll think about it and maybe do so after my holiday as an insentive to attract more people to the ridge.
Where's a [yesnod] when you need one (I miss some of the old emoji)

Can't meet up this weekend Crank, another time.

If anyone fancies a bit of SRV race action this weekend then head on over to the Danger Zone Discord and look for the Scully Power's 500 section. There's an SRV race around one of those massive circular planetary cities (on Kuntae A1) which I think is gonna be awesome. No specific time, I think their plan is to run races on the hour and half-hour from around midday whenever there's enough people in the instance to warrant it.

Discord server: https://discord.gg/9CMf7SH
INARA mission page: https://inara.cz/squadron-mission/5458/8182/

Here's a practice run I did earlier in the week to give you an idea of what it's like (and yes, it looks like it's gonna be dark).

Four days spent throwing SRV after SRV off this damn ridge and down into the trenches below and not even a single completed Blue run to show for it.

And then, on the final run of the morning ... hallelujah! Scoreboard update coming later ... just got to think of a good name for this SRV first.

OK, let's put @Sgurr and @turkwinif out of their misery, sort of.

95ZBgnx.png

So turkwinif's times are totally safe - the level of calm perfection in that sub-10 minute Black run is still utterly astonishing! But, despite not improving on my Blue time the"First Rate Bounder" (Terry Thomas reference) managed to clamber back on to the Red podium with a nice clean 11m 54s and I (literally) expoded onto the Black finish with a time of 15m 16s, 19 seconds ahead of Sguur's "Exit Stage Left". So Sguur retains podium places on all three legs but I'm afraid Mr Brabston is toast! The Black Run was a bit annoying actually thanks to that ridiculous "must be under 40m" rule (what was I thinking?). I sailed over the Black line a good 150m off the ground, taking another 7 seconds before I came back down below permissible altitude ... and then exploded!

On this subject - what do people think about that 40m altitude ruling? I've judged myself on that bar but, for the sake of a rounder number, have raised the altitude limit to 50m going forward (and was quite tempted to raise it further). I know it's a bit off to change the rules this far into the race but 50m just seemed like a nicer max than 40m. I could raise it to 100m (probably would if this was just starting out) but I can well imagine some of those leaders having runs they binned (or times that would need changing) if I did so? Oh, and actually, if that even applies to raising the bar to 50m then do shout and I'll put it back down to 40m.

And finally, for your viewing pleasure ... here's the run (quite pleased with this video).

Last edited:
So, in his usual understated style not only has Alec has stormed back onto the podium with red and black times that crush his previous marks, but he's posted a black time that beats his previous time for the red!!!
Stunning.
A classy run that deserves a watch, my particular favourite was him popping over the last rise to have the finish of the black ridge laid out front and centre.

Applauds o7

(and I reckon a sub 15 is on the cards ;) )

So, in his usual understated style not only has Alec has stormed back onto the podium with red and black times that crush his previous marks, but he's posted a black time that beats his previous time for the red!!!
Stunning.
A classy run that deserves a watch, my particular favourite was him popping over the last rise to have the finish of the black ridge laid out front and centre.

Applauds o7

(and I reckon a sub 15 is on the cards ;) )
Thanks Sgurr!

Meanwhile, after speaking about race gates and stuff on Tuesday's Lave Radio I figured I'd erect a new starting gate for the ridge challenge! :LOL:

Eu2Ex6v.png

Ha, that's a great shot and nice paint job. I wonder which CM I'd have to kidnap/bribe/ask nicely to get hold of one...

Well well well - it seems Cmdr Turkwinif, undisputed champion of the ridge, is back once again!

8HSeScI.png

With two stunning runs he now cements (granites? is that a word?) his position on both the Red and Black runs with times of 7 min 16 sec and 9 min 11 sec respectively ... just unbelievable!

The black run video can be seen below.

And with that he's also thrown down a gauntlet to the entire Elite: Dangerous community. He's offering a ONE BILLION CREDIT reward to anyone that can beat any of his times. Beat two and that's TWO BILLION CREDITS. Beat all three and it's THREE BILLION CREDITS! The reward to be made via Void Opal transfer (~600 opals should be worth around a billion credits at the right market). And you know what, I'll back that up with £10 worth of store credit for anyone that can beat his black run time.

gauntlet.jpg

NOTE: VIDEO EVIDENCE WILL BE REQUIRED FOR THIS.

Last edited:
With the launch of the new Buckyball Racing Club Discord server we've seen some renewed interest in the Pomeche Ridge Challenge. Cmdr Bruski has (allegedly) completed some runs now and we have a confirmed new submission from Cmdr Aken B. who's finally managed to complete a Black Run in a very respectable (definitely NOT "abysmal") time of 30 mins and 34 secs to land the Tumbling Initiative securely in the top half of the leaderboard, taking 7th place from Darplata94.

ZMPOO0u.png

Congratulations commander!

And with that I'm 7th in all three leaderboards, I wouldn't have pulled this off even if I tried on purpose. :D

(The "abysmal" was referred to the Blue and Red runs, the Black I ranked as "not great, not terrible" :p)

Top Bottom