The problem with "options"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Over the last week or so I have been looking at the "suggestions and idea" sub-thread. They have been some really awesome ideas but here is a problem I would like to address. This is by no means saying having options are bad, or any ideas are bad but here's where the concept of having gameplay options could be problematic. First off implementing different options costs time and resources and if the payoff is not recognized, meaning hardly anyone uses the different options it's wasted those resources when other things are more important.

When you start getting into the realm of adding different options to tweak the gameplay, the developers have to define the "default" game state which everyone will start off with, this is important because the game developers need to balance the gameplay around the default state to make the game playable to everyone.

Some options also pose another problem in that there impact of gameplay. Since the developers need to balance the game around the default state, some options might have varying impacts on gameplay. If an option has low to medium impact on gameplay no balance is needed as they might be accepted as part of the advanced/hardcore gameplay this option will bring. If an option drastically imbalances the gameplay there are two options to pursue, either remove the option completely or try to balance other aspects of the game. The problem with the 2nd option is re balancing the game comes back to the point that is cost time and resources to do.

Gameplay "modes" are a good way to fix some of these problems as the extend of the gameplay changes are localized under that particular game mode and re-balancing can occur under the whole gamemode rather than individual gameplay options.

This is exactly what I was thinking. In all suggestions that are being made at least one person said: "but you can make an option for it."
I don't want to get lost in an option menu before starting a game. I think they should have three gameplay modes without any freedom in options. Just have a beginner, a "normal" and a hardcore mode. Everything is set and you can't change anything within those modes.

I know some of you want to have that freedom in options, but like affinityawesome says it's not realistic.

So what if it's not realistic. Not everything has to be so freaking realistic.
I'm not suggesting it should be realistic, quite the opposite actually it's a fine balance between what we expect as realism vs whats fun in game. There are ways of adding depth without realism,"gamification of realism" where you take a realistic concept a gamify it.

Last edited:
What options are you talking about? From what I've been seeing, this stuff has been the most debated:

Playing in off-season/while the park is closed
Construction animation for the rides/coasters
Seasons (which could be an expansion pack)
Hotels (which could be an expansion pack)

I don't see the problem with any of these.

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
I think some people just want everything at once, when this is a new build game so it, at least in my view, should come down to quality over quantity. Hotels for example is a nice idea but is it needed? I don't think so personally. Making buildings to look like a hotel is fine by me, if you have hotels in the game you have to think about that will mean having, room types, rates, staff, room, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, not at all, but the time going into these type of things will then tak away development time on other, perhaps more important aspects of gameplay.

Using this list, these are how I see it.

Playing in off-season/while the park is closed - I don't see this as 'Needed' as more as a 'nice extra'

Construction animation for the rides/coasters - Think of the animation needed for this, time used to put this in game would take away time from making the core game better, a nice idea though.

Seasons (which could be an expansion pack) - This screams expansion pack/ DLC. That isn't to say the base game doesn't need weather, I think it absolutely does. But a 'Seasons' expansion pack would be amazing, Chrismas/ Halloween

Hotels (which could be an expansion pack) - As said, I think this would take so much focus away. That isn't to say I would say no to it!

I think some people just want everything at once, when this is a new build game so it, at least in my view, should come down to quality over quantity. Hotels for example is a nice idea but is it needed? I don't think so personally. Making buildings to look like a hotel is fine by me, if you have hotels in the game you have to think about that will mean having, room types, rates, staff, room, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, not at all, but the time going into these type of things will then tak away development time on other, perhaps more important aspects of gameplay.

Using this list, these are how I see it.

Playing in off-season/while the park is closed - I don't see this as 'Needed' as more as a 'nice extra'

Construction animation for the rides/coasters - Think of the animation needed for this, time used to put this in game would take away time from making the core game better, a nice idea though.

Seasons (which could be an expansion pack) - This screams expansion pack/ DLC. That isn't to say the base game doesn't need weather, I think it absolutely does. But a 'Seasons' expansion pack would be amazing, Chrismas/ Halloween

Hotels (which could be an expansion pack) - As said, I think this would take so much focus away. That isn't to say I would say no to it!

There are a lot of things that are not "needed" in the game. One could even argue that the peep animations aren't needed - it's a nice extra, but the game would be fine without it. Personally, I love them so I'm not complaining at all. I'm just saying that everyone is going to want Frontier to focus on something different.

Playing in off-season/while the park is closed - think about how real-world parks operate. They're able to do any big maintenance they need to do while the park is closed. Coasters are built while the park is closed or in the off-season. Having this ability in the game adds to the realism that many people want.

Construction animation for the rides/coasters - just look at all the pictures online of people that used CS cranes on their rides. Yes this might take time but they have to spend their time creating something. We still have 9+ months until this game is out. The core game will probably be done before then (then again, that depends on what we define as the "core game"). For the record though, I would rather wait for a fully fledged construction/management expansion pack to see this feature.

What makes seasons such an essential feature for the base game? This would possibly add the least to gameplay, since it really just changes the aesthetic of the game. However, I would still love it (with special events) in the game!

Hotels are essential to any theme park. Every great theme park has them. How does it take the focus away? Hotels don't have to be that in depth. Just let us build the exterior of them and decide how much money we spend on them (more money = more staff, better service; less money = less staff, bad service). Just my simple idea, idk.

I'm not trying to disagree with you or anything, but I think this just shows that options are necessary in this game! Most of the things I want in this game would work better in an expansion pack anyway, which makes them completely optional.

Just because it's posted in the suggestion forum doesn't mean it's going to be added in the game.

People are just saying if suggestion x is added, they would prefer it's an option and not forced upon them. It usually means they don't like the idea, but if it was added as an option it wouldn't matter as it wouldn't effect them.

Just because it's posted in the suggestion forum doesn't mean it's going to be added in the game.

People are just saying if suggestion x is added, they would prefer it's an option and not forced upon them. It usually means they don't like the idea, but if it was added as an option it wouldn't matter as it wouldn't effect them.

Thank you. [up]

Last edited:

Thank you. [up]

Yes, indeed. The whole reason we are all members of a "discussion forum" in the first place.

Seems like some of you didn't read all of the post, this viewpoint is coming from my own personal experience with software development. You can't simply say "oh feature X wont work, lets make it an option" I understand that the ideas on the forum are fan discussions about ideas they want in the game but if you want to have a strong debate about potential ideas for the game you can't use the argument "let's make feature X an option" as a fallback when an idea doesn't work.

Last edited:
Seems like some of you didn't read all of the post, this viewpoint is coming from my own personal experience with software development. You can't simply say "oh feature X wont work, lets make it an option" I understand that the ideas on the forum are fan discussions about ideas they want in the game but if you want to have a strong debate about potential ideas for the game you can't use the argument "let's make feature X an option" as a fallback when an idea doesn't work.

It really doesn't matter what people on here say when ultimate it comes down to the developers.

I think we all understand devs have time and money limitations and they can't simply add everything they want to. As I said in my last post, saying it's ok as an option is basically saying I would rather not have it. But if it COULD be added as an option, that would be acceptable. It also lets the developers know if someone really wants the idea or not. It's up to the devs to decide what they can and can't add.

It really doesn't matter what people on here say when ultimate it comes down to the developers.

I think we all understand devs have time and money limitations and they can't simply add everything they want to. As I said in my last post, saying it's ok as an option is basically saying I would rather not have it. But if it COULD be added as an option, that would be acceptable. It also lets the developers know if someone really wants the idea or not. It's up to the devs to decide what they can and can't add.

I have faith in Frontier they understand that players like to play their own way QUOTE from interview

"..For Coaster Planet, we want people to be able to play their way . ¿Sessions hardcore 8 hours? No problem. Would you rather play for half an hour? It is also ideal. The game should be for everyone. If you look back in numbers compared to our original, simulators parks iconic attractions reached a hearing of almost 50% men and 50% women in a wide range of ages, and I think that is because they do not direct us to a " public "or a" demographic "but we've done a damn good commercial space simulator, in which people want to buy, ride attractions or just have a good time.

The secret to capture both audiences is to give both quality and personal level, and that is something risky and interesting. A game with a beautiful aesthetic, which intrigues the player who challenges his mind and that allows your creativity to grow will appeal to hardcore and casual. Both groups like to share good things with your friends, either by your state or fun, and Planet Coaster is already doing this.

Building a play space, see the NPC interact with it and react to events is a very human activity. The gameplay challenges Coaster Planet demographic concepts as "hardcore" and "casual" because the simulation is driven by common sense and natural human emotions... "

Last edited:
It's called the Suggestions and Ideas sub-forum for a reason. No-one is expecting everything they type to get implemented. Discussions are being carried out with people putting forward HOW their ideas could be in the game.

I don't think a thread called "The Problem with Options" is necessary, let us talk ideas in the designated section of the forum without coming under scrutiny.

In terms of realism, with rollercoasters i personally would want to have the freedom to go from being able create a simple coaster into building a more advanced one, if i had to go through menu's to get it to work then so be it as long the essentials of building a coaster is displayed all the way on the front.

Same with the park design, if tunnels were added i can understand that some extra options and menu's are required and i am fine with that.
A easy to perform solution to the menu issue is simply having shortcuts on your keyboard.

Sawyer1

Planet Coaster Ambassador
One could even argue that the peep animations aren't needed

The trailer landed with this amazing art style and turned peoples heads! I'm going to disagree on this with you on this front, I think its exactly what a game like this needs. If Frontier would have just said, "Okay guys, we're gonna make a new theme park game", thats not the best way to show it off but because we had this amazing trailer, the focus switched to frontier in such a positive way!

I'm not trying to disagree with you or anything, but I think this just shows that options are necessary in this game! Most of the things I want in this game would work better in an expansion pack anyway, which makes them completely optional.

Expansion packs and DLC for things after the game is great!

The point I made was that if Frontier try and throw everything in at once, we might end up with something along the lines of RCTW, because that has had so many developers, we had a rushed game, and we all know how most feel on that game.

I'm not trying to disagree with you either, I love how we are all passionate about this and are able to voice our views on the matter!

The trailer landed with this amazing art style and turned peoples heads! I'm going to disagree on this with you on this front, I think its exactly what a game like this needs. If Frontier would have just said, "Okay guys, we're gonna make a new theme park game", thats not the best way to show it off but because we had this amazing trailer, the focus switched to frontier in such a positive way!

Expansion packs and DLC for things after the game is great!

The point I made was that if Frontier try and throw everything in at once, we might end up with something along the lines of RCTW, because that has had so many developers, we had a rushed game, and we all know how most feel on that game.

I'm not trying to disagree with you either, I love how we are all passionate about this and are able to voice our views on the matter!

Oh no, I LOVE the peep animations! I was just saying that some people might think they're unnecessary. We're all gonna be playing this game in our own unique ways and some people won't find certain stuff useful. It is what it is, I guess.

I understand what you're saying though and I'd much rather wait for expansion packs/DLC so we get a solid game instead of what the other guys are doing. I'm glad we're able to get another one of these games after such a long time. I don't mind waiting for every feature to be as polished and detailed as possible!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom