The QoL List

With Frontier focusing on core game play and QoL in the coming months, it seems we need to highlight areas to the devs that we think need attention.

Exploration and mining would be my two hot-button areas. Simple things like amount filters on the refinery to refuse certain minerals. Ie. You are focusing on collecting a specific mineral for a mission and don't want A, B, or C clogging up your bins/hold so you set A, B and C to 0 and A, B, and C are auto-vented on refining.

Other things I'd like to see in exploration are: Longer range route plotting (more than 1,000 LY) and the ability to choose my own specific route by selecting a chain of individual systems for things like neutron fields or rares runs. In-depth scanning mechanics that can highlight where high concentrations of minerals are located on a planet / moon for better collection odds.

Ability to set spiderweb range. When in space with few stars, I can increase the spiderweb to get more options. When near Sag A* I can reduce it to save CPU time.

Player generated beacons for use on planet/moon surfaces. For navigation or way to show friends a location. Instance specific, would disappear when you leave the instance.

Ability to set marker on planet based on Long / Lat so you can fly directly to a set of entered coords.

Trading tools to calculate profit / loss on routes in-game. On screen display showing what goods are the most profitable and to which destinations from the station you are in.

Built in Docking Computer (no module slot use) in all ships. For those who don't want to use this, just deselect power and turn it off. Silly to waste a C4 slot for a C1 DC.

Built in Basic Discovery Scanner (no module slot use) in all ships. ISS, ADS, DSS would all use slots to equip, but a 500 ls range BDS should be available to all ships without occupying a slot for basic navigation and mission briefings.

More book marks and materials storage -OR- have the ability to set upper limits for each material. Ex: You have 22 Zinc and don't want to collect more than 25, so you set Zinc to a max of 25. Once you have 25, no more will be collected. Lets you manage your allotted space better.

Give fighters a cargo scoop and the ability to pick up materials (not cargo). Once the fighter returns to the ship, those materials become part of the players stock. Destroyed fighters lose carried materials.

I'm sure there's more, but it's just a start. What do you want to see?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

List generated from suggestions:

Galaxy Map

. Galaxy Map filter for - Fully first discovered, Partially first discovered, Totally Undiscovered.
. Galaxy Map buy option to buy full grids of already fully discovered systems. (not just the 20ly systems from station your docked at).
. Galaxy Map search for Minor Factions and Player Factions systems.
. Galaxy Map filter for known (discovered) Ring Types, Element types, Organic types, Geological types, Artifact types.
. Galaxy Map filter for Rares.
. Flag for bookmarks to state it should appear in the nav screen destination selection pane and a flag for nav screen filters to include book marked systems. As is the nav screen shows systems within XLY limited to Y systems (forget the actual numbers). Rarely do I actually care about most of those systems.
. Filter for bookmarks, Bookmarks for individual asteroids, More bookmarks.
. Filter on multiple things simultaneously.

Missions

. On mission board at start when going from mission list to faction list stop making it jump to the last faction, it defaults to showing first faction on open so if I swap back to factions it should focus on the first not last faction.
Toggle to make FA-Off and rotation correction off the default. Annoying to have to reset them on login, ship swap, SRV usage.
. Signal Source type shown without scanning it. Detailed information of the Signal source shown when its scanned. ( Example: [Un-Scanned will show Emission Signal Source] [Scanned will show Degraded Emissions, Encoded Emissions or High Grade Emissions]. ).

Trade

. Trade computer Module for Freighter class ships only. ( Something like Trade Computer Extension MK.II ).

Exploration

. Exploration computer Module for Exploration class ships only. ( Something like EDSM also faster scanning and more detailed scanning ) .
. More class specific Modules for class specific ships only (Freighter class XL cargo racks, Exploration Class Scanners, Combat class scanners).

Mining, Piracy, Smuggling, Salvage

. A Mining class ship with mining class modules for mining class ship only (example - filters for the refinery).
. A Piracy class ship with "same as above". (example - has a grapple/tractor beam)
. A Salvage class ship with salvage class modules for salvage ship only. (example - can cut and process metals, elements and components from wreckage's).
. A Salvage licence.
. A Smuggling class ship with smuggling class modules for smuggling class ship only. (example - erm dunno atm)

General Ship

. Turn off all interior lights
. Turn off all exterior lights
. Ability to toggle friends coming online and offline notifications.
. Ability to toggle all npc text chat Unless Mission specific orders.
. Ability to toggle system messages (friends online and offline).
. Ability to set your online status as offline.
. Detailed ship builder information while docked at specific station types that offer this tool. ( Example: coriolis web site ingame )
. A real velocity vector indicator. Not this space dust.
. The ability to save different loadouts for one ship in the outfitting screen (I.E. Combat Python or Mission Python) without manually having to re add all the internals.
. compass instead of the current planetary directional navigation system
. Additional jump modes, Best Effort - No Refuel and Settable Max Distance - Fuel Use mode.
. Ability to turn off proximity warning lights/siren... It's bloody annoying when ground hugging.
. Have an (optional?) ship spotlight that follows head tracking (POV).
. Ability to turn of light augmentation when on the dark side of planets.

Limpets

. Advance collector limpet controller with filter options.
. Advanced prospector Limpet controller (example - finds nearest asteroid that is not scanned or empty and attaches to it).

General Game

. Crime and punishment upgrade.
. Introduction of Karma system.
. Planetary bookmarks.
. Faster and better Flagging and Removal of exploits and exploited gains.
. Ability to align with a Minor faction.
. A pack of New Cmdr saves purchasable from the store.
. Interactive Galactic Encyclopedia. ( An expanded Wiki ingame ) .
. Materials count shown next to the material when looking in contacts. ( Example : Antimony (13) ).
. GalNet Filters, a "show all related" and "Want to know more ?" button and when/if we get a Galatic Encyclopedia then links from GalNet to GalEnc (tm).
. Longer landing gear struts on ships like the Python, where the SRV struggles to get out from under the ship if the terrain is even slightly bumpy.
. Building the HUD color changer into the game.
. Ability to save HoloMe profiles.
. Ability to filter Contacts for the radar UI ( Example: Filter out containers and materials from the radar screen and contacts list ).
. Ability to filter what the SRV is scanning for.
. Stop giving commodities as mission rewards.
. After dropping onto a wingmate when using navlock, having the navlock cancel automatically would be nice.
. Viewing all blueprints available in game for engineers you have already discovered and unlocked.
. The ability to save different loadouts for one ship in the outfitting screen (I.E. Combat Python or Mission Python) without manually having to re add all the internals.

Settings

. Curves Settings for all joystick Axis in controller settings.
. Default mic to push to talk to stop all the people who do not talk from broadcasting using an open mic.

Last edited:
Engineer Blueprints in the right-tab similar to the Synthesis page.

The page should shows a list of the modules you currently have equipped.
Select a module and it shows the available upgrades based on the engineers you have unlocked.
Select an upgrade and it shows the materials required for the various grades (if unlocked) and how many of them you have.

The pinned blueprint mechanism could still be kept for upgrades you are interested in but maybe aren't relevant to your current ship loadout.

Last edited:
With Frontier focusing on core game play and QoL in the coming months, it seems we need to highlight areas to the devs that we think need attention.

Exploration and mining would be my two hot-button areas. Simple things like amount filters on the refinery to refuse certain minerals. Ie. You are focusing on collecting a specific mineral for a mission and don't want A, B, or C clogging up your bins/hold so you set A, B and C to 0 and A, B, and C are auto-vented on refining.

Other things I'd like to see in exploration are: Longer range route plotting (more than 1,000 LY) and the ability to choose my own specific route by selecting a chain of individual systems for things like neutron fields or rares runs. In-depth scanning mechanics that can highlight where high concentrations of minerals are located on a planet / moon for better collection odds.

Ability to set spiderweb range. When in space with few stars, I can increase the spiderweb to get more options. When near Sag A* I can reduce it to save CPU time.

Player generated beacons for use on planet/moon surfaces. For navigation or way to show friends a location. Instance specific, would disappear when you leave the instance.

Ability to set marker on planet based on Long / Lat so you can fly directly to a set of entered coords.

Trading tools to calculate profit / loss on routes in-game. On screen display showing what goods are the most profitable and to which destinations from the station you are in.

Built in Docking Computer (no module slot use) in all ships. For those who don't want to use this, just deselect power and turn it off. Silly to waste a C4 slot for a C1 DC.

Built in Basic Discovery Scanner (no module slot use) in all ships. ISS, ADS, DSS would all use slots to equip, but a 500 ls range BDS should be available to all ships without occupying a slot for basic navigation and mission briefings.

More book marks and materials storage -OR- have the ability to set upper limits for each material. Ex: You have 22 Zinc and don't want to collect more than 25, so you set Zinc to a max of 25. Once you have 25, no more will be collected. Lets you manage your allotted space better.

Give fighters a cargo scoop and the ability to pick up materials (not cargo). Once the fighter returns to the ship, those materials become part of the players stock. Destroyed fighters lose carried materials.

I'm sure there's more, but it's just a start. What do you want to see?

Good list Shad...I'd like a compass instead of the current planetary directional navigation system we have...a bit akin to needing a masters degree in spherical trigonometry and a sextant...

My current list of minor QOL requests.

• Flag for bookmarks to state it should appear in the nav screen destination selection pane and a flag for nav screen filters to include book marked systems. As is the nav screen shows systems within XLY limited to Y systems (forget the actual numbers). Rarely do I actually care about most of those systems.
  • Separate section at top of commodities pane listing cargo currently in your hold. I seem to have a knack for trading items that are way down in the commodities list.
  • On mission board at start when going from mission list to faction list stop making it jump to the last faction, it defaults to showing first faction on open so if I swap back to factions it should focus on the first not last faction.
  • Toggle to make FA-Off and rotation correction off the default. Annoying to have to reset them on login, ship swap, SRV usage.

Last edited:
My current list of minor QOL requests.

• Flag for bookmarks to state it should appear in the nav screen destination selection pane and a flag for nave screen filters to include book marked systems. As is the nave screen shows systems within XLY limited to Y systems (forget the actual numbers). Rarely do I actually care about most of those systems.
  • Separate section at top of commodities pane listing cargo currently in your hold. I seem to have a knack for trading items that are way down in the commodities list.
  • On mission board at start when going from mission list to faction list stop making it jump to the last faction, it defaults to showing first faction on open so if I swap back to factions it should focus on the first not last faction.
  • Toggle to make FA-Off and rotation correction off the default. Annoying to have to reset them on login, ship swap, SRV usage.

Good one - I think I'd go with a tabbed approach to the commodities page.

• All - the view we currently have.
  • Sell - what's currently in your hold.
  • Buy - only the items in stock.

Oh, and have a left-tap for the quantity selection from zero to maximum.

Last edited:
A real velocity vector indicator. Not this space dust.

After dropping onto a wingmate when using navlock, having the navlock cancel automatically would be nice.

Longer landing gear struts on ships like the Python, where the SRV struggles to get out from under the ship if the terrain is even slightly bumpy.

Building the HUD color changer into the game.

Viewing all blueprints available in game for engineers you have already discovered and unlocked.

Planetary bookmarks.

Did I mention that a velocity vector indicator would be useful? It's a staple of many other space shooters with newtonian physics.

The ability to save different loadouts for one ship in the outfitting screen (I.E. Combat Python or Mission Python) without manually having to re add all the internals.

Last but certainly not least.....STOP GIVING COMMODITIES AS MISSION REWARDS!!!!!! All this does is force the player to have a cargo rack just to accept the mission. Horrible execution. It wouldn't be nearly as annoying if we could just ignore the commodities and take the mission if we had no cargo racks, but alas....
Edit: Even if you do have the cargo space, sometimes you forgot that you have 4 tons of annoying useless rubbish in your cargo hold until the NPC pirates annoy you for it and waste your time.

Last edited:
Missions in the left panel should have a "Navigate to" button that sets the current nav path to the mission target.

Another thread ... Hmm ok Ill leave this here while I try find my list from the other thread :)

Yay found it

. Improvements and Additions to Mining, Smuggling, Piracy, Salvage.
. A Mining class ship with mining class modules for mining class ship only (example - filters for the refinery).
. A Piracy class ship with "same as above". (example - has a grapple/tractor beam)
. A Salvage class ship with salvage class modules for salvage ship only. (example - can cut and process metals, elements and components from wreckage's).
. A Salvage licence.
. A Smuggling class ship with smuggling class modules for smuggling class ship only. (example - erm dunno atm)
. Trade computer Module for Freighter class ships only. ( Something like Trade Computer Extension MK.II ).
. Exploration computer Module for Exploration class ships only. ( Something like EDSM also faster scanning and more detailed scanning ) .
. More class specific Modules for class specific ships only (Freighter class XL cargo racks, Exploration Class Scanners, Combat class scanners).
. Advance collector limpet controller with filter options.
. Advanced prospector Limpet controller (example - finds nearest asteroid that is not scanned or empty and attaches to it).
. Filter for bookmarks, Bookmarks for individual asteroids, More bookmarks.
. Galaxy Map filter for - Fully first discovered, Partially first discovered, Totally Undiscovered.
. Galaxy Map buy option to buy full grids of already fully discovered systems. (not just the 20ly systems from station your docked at).
. Galaxy Map search for Minor Factions and Player Factions systems.
. Galaxy Map filter for known (discovered) Ring Types, Element types, Organic types, Geological types, Artifact types.
. Galaxy Map filter for Rares.
. Crime and punishment upgrade.
. Introduction of Karma system.
. Faster and better Flagging and Removal of exploits and exploited gains.
. Ability to align with a Minor faction.
. A pack of New Cmdr saves purchasable from the store.
. Interactive Galactic Encyclopedia. ( An expanded Wiki ingame ) .
. Materials count shown next to the material when looking in contacts. ( Example : Antimony (13) ).
. Ability to toggle friends coming online and offline notifications.
. Ability to toggle all npc text chat Unless Mission specific orders.
. Ability to toggle system messages (friends online and offline).
. Ability to set your online status as offline.
. Curves Settings for all joystick Axis in controller settings.
. Ability to filter Contacts for the radar UI ( Example: Filter out containers and materials from the radar screen and contacts list ).
. Ability to filter what the SRV is scanning for.
. Ability to save HoloMe profiles.
. Detailed ship builder information while docked at specific station types that offer this tool. ( Example: coriolis web site ingame ) .
. Signal Source type shown without scanning it. Detailed information of the Signal source shown when its scanned. ( Example: [Un-Scanned will show Emission Signal Source] [Scanned will show Degraded Emissions, Encoded Emissions or High Grade Emissions]. ).
. Default mic to push to talk to stop all the people who do not talk from broadcasting using an open mic.
. GalNet Filters, a "show all related" and "Want to know more ?" button and when/if we get a Galatic Encyclopedia then links from GalNet to GalEnc (tm).

[To be continued]

Last edited:
Too many excellent suggestions in this thread...

OP... Do you think, since you're interested, you could collate some information in the first post?
This thread is likely to ramble and repeat after page one.

There are a lot of things I would like, but with 400 Kylies under my belt, I will limit myself to just one suggestion in this post;

Beyond the current
Max Range Fuel Efficiency jump modes, I would like a

● BEST EFFORT/NO REFILL Jump mode.

I would select the destination, click "NO REFILL" mode and the the computer would try to get me to the destination in the LEAST NUMBER of jumps WITHOUT REFUELLING.
If it can't reach the destination with current fuel remaining, it would give a warning.

● SETTABLE MAX DISTANCE/FUEL USE Jump mode.

I would like to be able to set the MAXIMUM FUEL USE per jump or MAXIMUM RANGE without having to have a 64T cargo rack installed!
Why? Because just a 10 or 20% reduction in average jump range can double the maximum distance covered on any given tank of fuel. This is useful for the DiamondX which only comes with -class fuel scoops.

Last edited:
I lied about the one feature.

I want to talk about ship lights:

Ability to turn off cabin lights. I want to fly in the dark when in deep space.
Ability to turn of proximity warning lights/siren... It's bloody annoying when ground hugging.
Have an (optional?) ship spotlight that follows head tracking (POV). It's really annoying flying in the shadow of a space station but only being able to see ahead.
Ability to turn of light augmentation when on the dark side of planets. - It used to be really creepy in the Pleiades when searching for barnacles and they stood out against the dark landscape. Now, with everything dully lit, it's hard to find anything and quite pedestrian.

These would be good....also some bookmark folders so I can categorise my finds, engineers, ship locations, trade routes, BH systems etc...

An orrery map for each system would be nice so we can see relative distances between stellar objects

Better POI scanning interface - big blue circle has to go

Better comms interface, easy to miss messages, not easy to type a quick msg in the heat of battle

A few more:

Multiple light sources. That, combined with truer dark side lighting of planets, would make multi-star systems a lot more varied and interesting.

One-way Colonia-Bubble and Bubble-Colonia passenger missions.

Remove the 20 mission limit from the mission boards. 20 missions doesn't go very far when spread among 7 factions.

Automatic placement of your NPC fighter pilot onto your ship if you are flying a SLF carrying vessel.

Mining limpets that have some shred of collision avoidance when it comes to rotating asteroids.

The ability to mount multiple refineries.

Fix heat cannons to be in line with all other heat weapons. (more of a bugfix than QoL I guess)

Have jump distance be calculated relative to your ship's position, not the center star. I.E. If I have a 40Ly jump range but I want to go to a system 41Ly away, I should be able to supercruise 1Ly towards that system to make the jump (not much use to anyone in the bubble but could be useful for explorers).

Be able to supercruise to other systems. Good for going to permit locked systems if you have the patience.

Be able to filter out permit locked systems/regions from the galmap. How is this not a thing already?

Generally good suggestions I'd say.
I caution about diverging from QoL improvements to essentially requesting new features or larger rewrites, that's a bit different. So better controls on the refinery, fine, specific mineral concentration in rocks, that sounds more like a new feature (though doubtless welcome).

My wish list includes providing direct linkage of missions to highlighting their target on the system map (where available) and potentially buying the appropriate data from there if possible. Maybe a direct path to here option.
Adjusting the discovery mechanic so you can see the approximate type of an object in the navigation pane before scanning it - you can see this in the system view after all.
Option to highlight a navigation pane object in the system (or galactic) view - to be honest an improved non-system/galactic map summary feature would be nice.
Show the gravity of selected, scanned planets.
Show some basic services information on selected stations (I personally think some nice little icons could work for this).

I'm sure I can think of a few more :)

Lol? And how did you dock until you had the cash for a DC?
Manually, of course. I use DC's on large ships or traders or smuggling runs with repetitive back and forth. Not always, but they are an excellent feature to avoid fines and death from being rammed.

Any time anyone asks this I am going to spam this image. A massive QOL could be simply changing fighter icons to be unique and different at a glance from a player ship on radar. If Fdev listens to one idea i have let it be this one...

Pick one!

TDBYpP2

http://imgur.com/TDBYpP2

Last edited:
Top Bottom