Thanks, I’ll add it to my list of useful links since FD seem to have deleted the previous patch notes thread I had linked (at least I cant find it), but it doesnt go back as far as 2017, which I think is when the voice logs were introduced.

Did you try the menu and Widgets option? :)

1624643626456.png

see the 1st post of this thread and "Public FD Raxxla statements:" section :)
I just did. And for the life of me, I seem to not be able to find it. No "it has been in-game since gamma" (and therefore no SRV needed to find it) official statement. Only some deductions here in the forum about the 2.0 patch notes that said "Secret added". Which may well have been just about the Zurara plot. What worries me is that allegedly DB said that it is possible to find Raxxla only "if you scan it enough". What does that mean? Do you have to be in a wing and do a simultaneous scan? Do you have to honk that system 100 times? That a FSS scan is enough? Do you have to do a detailed scan of each system body? Because some of these issues that I mentioned above make Raxxla nigh UNFINDABLE. Unless you already know what to look for from another source.
Someone explained to me once the difference between a code and a cypher. You may be able to crack a cypher because there is a certain logic and pattern to it. But a code is a basically a metaphor and therefore impossible to crack. IMHO Raxxla is a code.
I also believe that somehow by adding the FSS and the codex FDev wanted to make it easier to find, but the codex entry remains just another metaphor. Tiny bit obvious they think, but still, only a metaphor. There's obfuscation all over the place here, not just the outer rim. :)

I just did. And for the life of me, I seem to not be able to find it. No "it has been in-game since gamma" (and therefore no SRV needed to find it) official statement. Only some deductions here in the forum about the 2.0 patch notes that said "Secret added". Which may well have been just about the Zurara plot. What worries me is that allegedly DB said that it is possible to find Raxxla only "if you scan it enough". What does that mean? Do you have to be in a wing and do a simultaneous scan? Do you have to honk that system 100 times? That a FSS scan is enough? Do you have to do a detailed scan of each system body? Because some of these issues that I mentioned above make Raxxla nigh UNFINDABLE. Unless you already know what to look for from another source.
Someone explained to me once the difference between a code and a cypher. You may be able to crack a cypher because there is a certain logic and pattern to it. But a code is a basically a metaphor and therefore impossible to crack. IMHO Raxxla is a code.
I also believe that somehow by adding the FSS and the codex FDev wanted to make it easier to find, but the codex entry remains just another metaphor. Tiny bit obvious they think, but still, only a metaphor. There's obfuscation all over the place here, not just the outer rim. :)
Have a look at the FD quotes thread (my signature). DB definitely said Raxxla has been in-game since the gamma but can’t remember if I found the source reference for that (see edit). As you say it is alleged that he said Raxxla will appear if you are in the right place and honk enough, and something about more likely to be found by a group of players. No source has been found for that either, and I only found one claimant. However it is the basis for my belief that you have to be very close to Raxxla/Omphalos and honk to make it appear. With a minimum speed of 30Km/sec in supercruise and a honk-honk time of 16 seconds (due to scanner charge and recovery time) it makes it very unlikely that a single player will find it if the detection distance is set to something like 10Km. You’d have to be sure of the location and honk in normal space to stand a reasonable chance. At max speed of 500 metres/sec in normal space a fast ship like a Phantom would then take an awful lot of honks to cover 0.1 light secs of positional uncertainty (I tried searching Jupiter-Io L1 position last weekend in case Raxxla is a tribute to 2001 Space Odyssey; the “personal journey” fits with “Odyssey” and its reuse for the latest title may be a another hint, as may be the use of the Blue Danube music to accompany station autodocking).

Edit: the nearest source ref I have is Drew Wagar:
DJTruthsayer interview with Drew Wagar
m.twitch.tv/videos/85666548
17:00: Drew says that DB said Raxxla in-game during a pre-release party, so very early on.

Last edited:
Have a look at the FD quotes thread (my signature). DB definitely said Raxxla has been in-game since the gamma but can’t remember if I found the source reference for that (see edit). As you say it is alleged that he said Raxxla will appear if you are in the right place and honk enough, and something about more likely to be found by a group of players. No source has been found for that either, and I only found one claimant. However it is the basis for my belief that you have to be very close to Raxxla/Omphalos and honk to make it appear. With a minimum speed of 30Km/sec in supercruise and a honk-honk time of 16 seconds (due to scanner charge and recovery time) it makes it very unlikely that a single player will find it if the detection distance is set to something like 10Km. You’d have to be sure of the location and honk in normal space to stand a reasonable chance. At max speed of 500 metres/sec in normal space a fast ship like a Phantom would then take an awful lot of honks to cover 0.1 light secs of positional uncertainty (I tried searching Jupiter-Io L1 position last weekend in case Raxxla is a tribute to 2001 Space Odyssey; the “personal journey” fits with “Odyssey” and its reuse for the latest title may be a another hint, as may be the use of the Blue Danube music to accompany station autodocking).

17:00: Drew says that DB said Raxxla in-game during a pre-release party, so very early on.
O7 and thank you cmdr. Much appreciated. And if what you're saying is true, that means that you need to know what you're looking for AND be nearly pinpoint accurate when looking for it, therefore chances of finding Raxxla are pretty close to nil. Unless knowing a priori where it is.

I have the impression the 'more likely being found by a group of players" was regarding the formadine rift mysteries. I believe at some point in time this was confirmed by @drew but I'm not 100% sure. What with all the Mandela going around and all

I have the impression the 'more likely being found by a group of players" was regarding the formadine rift mysteries. I believe at some point in time this was confirmed by @drew but I'm not 100% sure. What with all the Mandela going around and all
What? Nelson used to play? 😉

Could have been about the FRift. As I say, I never did track down a source/context. But my googlfoo is weak at present, old age I think..

Last edited:
O7 and thank you cmdr. Much appreciated. And if what you're saying is true, that means that you need to know what you're looking for AND be nearly pinpoint accurate when looking for it, therefore chances of finding Raxxla are pretty close to nil. Unless knowing a priori where it is.
If that unsourced quote is true then chances of finding Raxxla are low even if you know a priori where it is! 😉

Jorki has taken over to give Tyko a holiday in Sol, just in case Combat Elite is required!
Tested Columbus (a serious vagabond!) Station & Jupiter's Red Spot. Also tried orbiting Jupiter, both poles, L1 of Jupiter-Io .... Nowt!
Back at Rhea, darned surface map is only showing a wireframe. Need the surface features if I'm looking for an Omphalos!!

Aha, I was in baseline game so no surface map available. Why then are the landable planets shown with a blue (landing permitted) circle???

Last edited:
It could mean that Raxxla consists of several components, each of which may require scanning individually.

I can give you the precise date and event. We loremasters keep notes, don't you know. ;)

It was Tuesday the 8th July 2014 at about 7pm. David Braben was giving a talk at the Bafta Games Showcase (building was near Piccadilly in London). I, along with several other Elite fans, went along to hear the talk.

I hadn't met David Braben before this point, but I introduced myself to him (as one of the writers who'd pledged on the KS earlier that year) after his presentation which was called "My other car's a Cobra Mk3."

1404755787009.jpg

I chatted with him for about 5 minutes about the KS, the writers pledge, the ideas I had, how ED might evolve, how the coding was going and (yes, fanboy) how big an influence Elite had been etc...

Then I asked him "Is Raxxla in the game?"

He answered with "Yes. And we know where it is." (I assumed the "we" meant Frontier Developments). Then everyone headed to the bar (which, amazingly, did sell beers and there were no signs of adhesive supplies).

This is the moment. (I'd come straight from work, hence the suit!) It was captured by a follow Elite fan who'd sat next to me.

Website.JPG

Cheers,

Drew.

Last edited:
As for the "Someone has been there, honked and passed on through" business. I never witnessed this, but I have it on reasonable authority it occured in conversation with Frontier Developments' Staff present at the LaveCon convention.

Cheers,

Drew.
Ok, if this is true then we have the following possibilities:
1 - if that cmdr honked the basic or intermediate scanner (pre-3.4 ED had basic, intermediate and advanced, and only the advanced could scan the whole system), and if Raxxla was further than 500 or 1000 ls then it's still hidden. (I find this the most likely scenario)
2 - if said cmdr had the advanced scanner then he found the planet that holds Raxxla but didn't go there. It might mean it was not apparent at long distances and he had to visit each body and didn't - IMHO FDev were then giving us a hand here when they introduced the FSS, at least let's hope so.
2a - if an EDSM/EDDB/INARA E: D account link was present then that system is on their databases (incompletely scanned most likely)
2b - if the account wasn't linked then it's only present in Univ Cartographics (if the cmdr didn't blow the ship before selling the data) .... aaand we have nothing.

Ok, if this is true then we have the following possibilities:
1 - if that cmdr honked the basic or intermediate scanner (pre-3.4 ED had basic, intermediate and advanced, and only the advanced could scan the whole system), and if Raxxla was further than 500 or 1000 ls then it's still hidden. (I find this the most likely scenario)
2 - if said cmdr had the advanced scanner then he found the planet that holds Raxxla but didn't go there. It might mean it was not apparent at long distances and he had to visit each body and didn't - IMHO FDev were then giving us a hand here when they introduced the FSS, at least let's hope so.
2a - if an EDSM/EDDB/INARA E: D account link was present then that system is on their databases (incompletely scanned most likely)
2b - if the account wasn't linked then it's only present in Univ Cartographics (if the cmdr didn't blow the ship before selling the data) .... aaand we have nothing.
True, but there are groups out there brute forcing (Bruce Forsyth) this, if the hypothesis is correct and it just needs to be found, then the only obstacles are time and persistence.

qW2HxELQj-PmLi8pGhXW2cUa5hm1gyARxoJICkU3lQYGsZAXxv2krSBR0v8qCZTrkKE=s0-d

Last edited:
Top Bottom