@Rochester
Q: How do you orient yourself when investigating Norse mythology?
A: you look for the axes! 😁
99E6E1F8-2B23-49C2-8D11-28D202B28971.gif

Well, I got fed up waiting for an Adder to turn up with Trinkets in Plendovii, so have visited Zearla...why?
Well:
1) according to the lore ( Elite2 gazeteer but is also in Alen Stroud’s PhD thesis for ED) in “3163 Naomi Jameson, Peter’s daughter the explorer, crashed into a planet in the Zearla system while chasing a comet and bankrupted the family in the process.” This seems to be a rare mention of a comet in the lore....
2) From EDSM Zearla was first visited in Dec 2014 so might fit MB’s alleged “system honked but Raxxla not discovered”
3) Zearla might fit “Raxxla” if rearranged and XX are character substitutions for ZE.
4) Tourist Beacons 217, 218, 219, 668 mention Wreaken Mining wrt Zearla, and Wreaken seem to be up to no good...
5) The city of Jeffries on Fraser houses the head office of Wreaken Construction and Mining (http://www.dream-ware.co.uk/frontier/books/gazetteer/).
6) I think comets are the most likely means that FD would have for hiding Raxxla

Using Pyroboros’ spreadsheet Ive found Zearla comets 1 through 5. Again, none of them are labelled as such in the nav panel when I drop out at them. I’ve hovered 0m away from each and honked several times but the omphalos has not activated.
đŸ„șđŸ™ŒđŸ»
Hands are hurting...

@Pyroboros @Adel : I was under the impression from previous posts that comets appear in the logfile when you signal scan the whole system or download the nav beacon, but that didnt happen for me. From this search comets only seem to be identified and inserted into the logfile as such when I drop out of SC at them, is that correct?

@Pyroboros @Adel : I was under the impression from previous posts that comets appear in the logfile when you signal scan the whole system or download the nav beacon, but that didnt happen for me. From this search comets only seem to be identified and inserted into the logfile as such when I drop out of SC at them, is that correct?
They do not appear when scanning the System. However the scanned bodys IDs are in the logfile. IDs seem so far consecutive Starting from 0. So we look for gaps between IDs. Some of the gaps can be explained whit Barycenters and Rings or Clusters. the missing IDs that are not a Barycenter, Ring or Cluster are then Comet Candidates.
So the initial System Scan is is essential, but does not give any direct intel about comets. Look for what is missing not what is there. đŸ‘ïž

This is what I found for Zearla:

1​
Synuefe XX-F d12-1048617​
Zearla 1​
2​
Synuefe XX-F d12-2097193​
Zearla 2​
3​
Synuefe XX-F d12-3145769​
Zearla 3​
4​
Synuefe XX-F d12-4194345​
Zearla 3 a​
5​
Synuefe XX-F d12-5242921​
Zearla 4​
6​
Synuefe XX-F d12-6291497​
Zearla 5​
7​
Synuefe XX-F d12-7340073​
Zearla 6​
8​
Synuefe XX-F d12-8388649​
Zearla 7​
9​
Synuefe XX-F d12-9437225​
Zearla 8​
10​
Synuefe XX-F d12-10485801​
Zearla 9​
11​
Synuefe XX-F d12-11534377​
Zearla Comet 1​
12​
Synuefe XX-F d12-12582953​
Zearla Comet 2​
13​
Synuefe XX-F d12-13631529​
Zearla Comet 3​
14​
Synuefe XX-F d12-14680105​
Zearla Comet 4​
15​
Synuefe XX-F d12-15728681​
Zearla Comet 5​
16​
Synuefe XX-F d12-16777257​
Payson Hub​
17​
Synuefe XX-F d12-17825833​
Perga Port​
18​
Synuefe XX-F d12-18874409​
game crash​

In my opinion ED is riddled with inconsistency.

The Codex I feel is part confirmation, part alibi.

The Codex identifies the DW and Raxxla as in game (at least initially as textually in lore).

As I had access to Shin Dez from the start I was allied to all the factions in there quite quickly... it's the DW missions that were turned off without explanation is for me the only indication there was something in from the start of the game....it might have been a different story arc to Raxxla or it might have been to find Raxxla....

The only reasons I can think of to justify turning them off are:

1. They were broken - but I don't remember reading anything about problems with them and pretty sure I did all/most of them without paying much attention to them at the time.
2. They were stopping access to further content.

Personally I think TDW being in the game with active missions with suggestions they are searching for something/somewhere, etc was an indication Raxxla was in game... For me the searching was either to find Raxxla or their station and I'm not sure they lost their station! Additionally the station wasn't known about at the time and so I'm guessing not in game..... although it could have quite easily have been hidden from the start (e.g. exactly like Shin Dez).... probably in Sol and in plain sight with those with eyes that see (or if you are in the TDW :) )

Having been in development for far too many years, I often try and remember what functionality was in the game at launch that would support the TDW & Raxxla (I'm assuming they wouldn't develop much specifically for it at the time as the game needed finishing which would have been a higher priority!)...

Anyway I've always thought it would probably take a few of these but also needed a mechanism to deliver the invitations and administer tests (missions)....

1. Discovering systems and scanning data (Honking and basic scanner).
2. Missions... there were no chained missions at launch if I remember correctly.
3. Killing people (Bounty/Crime)
4. Trading.
5. Pirating/Selling stolen goods
6. Navy Ranking and Ranking missions
7. Elite Rankings
8. Faction reputation (not Powerplay!)
9. Superpower reputation (only 3 back then)
10. Owning ships
etc..

My thoughts when I started the mad hunt for Raxxla were...

Requirements for joining

Elite or Triple Elite - I always thought triple Elite
Gain rep & allied with the TDW (before codex sewed the seeds of doubt about them being genuine)
Complete Missions for TDW - of which some are now blocked

Invite
Would most likely have been through using the Navy ranking functionality as it was the only mission offerings based on personal progress at the time and could appear at any station? You could use a simple "Take this TDW membership card to the TDW station here....." Or similar one for Raxxla as a mission...

Test(s)
If there was additional tests then it could be done using the Navy ranking functionality as well as the invite.

And talking of game mechanics, if you receive the invite.... I always wondered what would be different and how would it work... how would you know you were in the DW?

A hidden station in a system that you can only see if you have passed certain criteria and are in the TDW.... oh like Shin Dez and it's Elite requirement....

As for Raxxla.... either a POI or something that you can't interact with as what else could it have been at the time.... It may have opened up permit locked systems... there were still a few back then...

Just some thoughts...

In my opinion ED is riddled with inconsistency.

The Codex I feel is part confirmation, part alibi.

The Codex identifies the DW and Raxxla as in game (at least initially as textually in lore).

The alibi arises when FD allude that there ‘maybe’ a test, but said source of that information is very likely unreliable. Next it states said test, if initiated, would not be recognized, nor ever acknowledged, only upon the discovery of the DW station.

FD then state when directly questioned about the Codex and the manual, that certain factions and permits are not currently active. I take that to mean the DW invite is not currently active. That’s speculative insight.

Of course the DW station may still be findable?

Next we discover the tip-off missions, released some years later.
Tip Off missions did not come after the release Codex, but were released years before. They were there when i started playing seriously in Jan. 2017.

I think Tip Off missions were introduced as part of the mission system revamp, which IIRC occurred around the end of 2015 with release 1.5/2.0, and I suspect the Shinrarta E/F missions were deleted at the same time. I suspect they were deleted because either 1) they were red herrings and FD decided they would cause too many problems or 2) were too revealing....I’m still pondering what could have been revealed by them!

Perhaps one obvious drawback is that the “personal journey” was all about the effort to gain elite rank which gained the Founders World permit to access Shinrarta, but since many backers & founders got that for payment it would have been unfair to everyone else, so perhaps FD decided to make access to the secrets a little more convoluted.

I suspect if there is a storyline leading towards Raxxla and/or TDW station then appropriate missions would have been created under the new mission system to replace the old E/F missions.

Perhaps one obvious drawback is that the “personal journey” was all about the effort to gain elite rank which gained the Founders World permit to access Shinrarta, but since many backers & founders got that for payment it would have been unfair to everyone else, so perhaps FD decided to make access to the secrets a little more convoluted.
Well as a beta backer I was one of the cmdrs who accidentally got access to Shinrarta from the start which they didn't take back... think it was fear of a backlash when going live....

Guess there were a lot more people flying around in Shinrarta than they expected....

Norse Mythos....

However, Snorri Sturluson, in his Prose Edda, holds that there are actually three wells beneath the tree, one for each of its roots. The Well of Urd, according to him, is not below Yggdrasil, as it is in VöluspĂĄ – it’s actually in the sky, and the root that grows out of it bends upward into the sky (!). The Well of Urd is where the gods hold their daily council meetings. The second well is called Hvergelmir (perhaps “Bubbling Cauldron”[14] or “Roaring Kettle”[15]), and it’s the body of water beneath the second root, which stretches into Niflheim, the world of primal ice. This is the root that Nidhogg chews. The third well is that of the wise being Mimir, and it and its root lie in the realm of the giants.[16]

Ref https://norse-mythology.org/cosmology/yggdrasil-and-the-well-of-urd/

I for one do see this as potential. But we also must look at the DW toast, though it my not be the key, there may be something there that may just need to be done to see what must remain unseen.

Norse Mythos....

However, Snorri Sturluson, in his Prose Edda, holds that there are actually three wells beneath the tree, one for each of its roots. The Well of Urd, according to him, is not below Yggdrasil, as it is in VöluspĂĄ – it’s actually in the sky, and the root that grows out of it bends upward into the sky (!). The Well of Urd is where the gods hold their daily council meetings. The second well is called Hvergelmir (perhaps “Bubbling Cauldron”[14] or “Roaring Kettle”[15]), and it’s the body of water beneath the second root, which stretches into Niflheim, the world of primal ice. This is the root that Nidhogg chews. The third well is that of the wise being Mimir, and it and its root lie in the realm of the giants.[16]

Ref https://norse-mythology.org/cosmology/yggdrasil-and-the-well-of-urd/

I for one do see this as potential. But we also must look at the DW toast, though it my not be the key, there may be something there that may just need to be done to see what must remain unseen.
Please review my ramblings here and let us know your insights?

Post in thread 'The Quest To Find Raxxla'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-9856307

Post in thread 'The Quest To Find Raxxla'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-9496027

I recall permits that are locked but have no source as to who or what unlocks them. I know some of them have a future thing to do with them which has been a long time now. But for some that just were locked for a purpose now I'm curious if The Dark Wheel has something to do with those systems being locked for a reason. Then again probably they aren't involved but they have been locked for a long time now for a reason.

This just came to me as I'm unlocking some of my permit systems.

Edit: Something interesting happened while doing missions. I'm not sure if their is a long delay very long like 20mins long but I was doing "Infiltrate the megaship data link mission". I scanned the wrong Ship data logs and ended up with a Tip Off still a recycled tip off from the list but interesting if this maybe the case.

Last edited:
Hmm...

Some additional data.. summing up tho-

Screenshot_20220807-081638_Chrome.jpg

Scorpio -
Scorpius
Richard Denning identified Scorpius as Níðhöggr.

In Norse mythology, NĂ­Ă°höggr (anglicized Nidhogg) is is a dragon or serpent who gnaws at a root of the world tree, Yggdrasil.​

... so thats one root of 3.
ref - http://judy-volker.com/StarLore/Myths/Viking_Germanic.html

I'm still looking at the constellations though I don't believe we'd need to go too far into the rabbit hole. Look at what constellations are in Norse Mythos and what they represent. We should be ably to triangulate the (6) systems for the roots and branches of the tree.

Of course, this is a grain of salt in a sandy ocean beach -- we must not discount past discoveries nor cleared worlds, to do so we may just miss whats been in front of us this whole time.

Unlike many other locations associated with Yggdrasil, Nidhogg is not represented in game as a system, but it is the name attributed to a planet in the permit locked system of Nastrond.

Nåstrǫnd is a place in Norse underworld, there is also the system Hel a deity, which is also an in game system, Hel is the Norse version of the Greek deity Hecate, and all are relatively close to each other, as represented in my Yggdrasil investigation.

Last edited:
I.. this place is truely crazy. A mountain in a creator.

I've spen the last 20ism minutes driving or I should say sliding down this mountain.

182791d3c3b93-screenshotUrl.jpg
182791d22a218-screenshotUrl.jpg
182791d76da3-screenshotUrl.jpg

The 3rd image is current location, I managed to catch a cliff on the way down. I don't know if I will survive this.

This is hard, with hand brake on amd full reverse (shortly after this image) I've managed to stop sliding. I hope I can survive this and make it to what I believe were caves at the bottom.
1827925260f76-screenshotUrl.jpg

Peaks in the middle of impact craters are very common. It’s the same effect as when a drop falls into water-the surface depresses then rebounds, only with land it freezes into a mountain.

I’d be surprised if there are caves though. It was widely circulated at one time that the game engine cant do caves, though I kept asking in that case how are Thargoid bases generated...nobody resolved that question! 🙂

Edit: if it gets too hairy you could boot into the base game so would be placed into planetary orbit, then land again and retry.

Last edited:
I'm in Horizons (ps) I was looking gor the large creator and thought that one was it. It has no snow in it either. I did make it to the large one now and am rebooting after a crash.

I don;t know what happened. I entered tge middle of the crator, another crator was there so I turned to check it out and it was like the gravity went crazy, my ship spun out of control and bounced off the crator floor, alarms went off and my ship explodes.

I will need to return there but that will need to be another time.

It has happened to me before. If the gravity of the planet is high (or even medium, it happened to me at Merope 5c!) then the manoeuvring thrusters cant hold the ship in a tight turn, you need to keep her level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom