No. Even if it is the journey its a fun and interesting one where I learn something new about math, astronomy, history, physics or ancient mythology. Its pew pew, another bug zapped, combat rating up another 1% that is depressing me! Lol. How badly do I want triple elite? 🤔
Three words for you... "Compromised Navigation Beacon"
Lots of small, easy to kill yet surprisingly high ranked ships ;)
(Protip: Also good for training NPC Crew (No need to watch))

Last edited:
I definitely did not write 'poopoo'. ;)

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from writing in Elite Dangerous, it's never ignore a poopoo. I knew a CMDR, who got poopood, made the mistake of ignoring the poopoo. He poopoode it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the CMDR who poopood him had been poopooing a lot of other CMDRs who poopood their poopoos. In the end, we had to disband GalNet. Morale totally destroyed... by poopoo!

* With apologies to General Melchett.

Cheers,

Drew.

Source: https://youtu.be/Ca9CJ1u6ACg

Quite off-topic, but waiting for the "last hurrah", I can't pull out of my mind that Generation Ship Thetis which crew went mad when passing near some planet...
Whispers? Siren songs?
Anyone knows if/how much it has been investigated ? I lost the track...
I spent a day or so looking for the planet, without any joy. I had the same thoughts as you.

I really don't know what to think nowadays to be honest. I've always been enthusiastic about the background lore of Elite and have always stressed how important I thought it was. Michael Brooks certainly shared that view in the formative years. Since his departure from ED (though not from Frontier) that importance seems to have waned.

I would love to think that there is a puzzle about Raxxla baked into the game and based on the 'old lore' of Elite, but my faith in that is waning after all this time.

For example. To me, the cornerstone of Elite lore is the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard, promised in v2.2 of ED. It never materialised then and hasn't been mentioned since. The TOGY is where Elite 'starts' from a lore perspective. To have it 'not exist' in game is rather like a LOTR game having Gondor but no Minas Tirith, or a Star Wars game having Tatooine but no Mos Eisley. It's an iconic location for Elite.

That absence suggests to me that the lore doesn't have the continuance from the original games I would have liked to have seen and that the lore became less important (or perhaps de-prioritised) from around that version of ED. Since then the storytelling emphasis has been on 'personal narrative', which is something of a non-sequitor to my way of thinking.

I suspect Raxxla will either be done as a end-game 'hurrah' in a few years time, or it will be 'the journey' we were all on, or some such. Perhaps it will be part of the 2020 update. Your guess is as good as mine. :)

TL;DR - Not sure. Suspect there isn't one, atleast at the moment.

Cheers,

Drew.

Good to hear from you on this Drew, and I agree with what you've said about the need for deeper narrative in the game. ED's depth is what sets it apart. Without the back story and the continued lore, its just a space shoot-em -up.

Maybe FD have done their marketing and truly believe there is more profit to be made from pew-pew than from adventuring. Maybe they are right - the number of people interested in finding R. compared with the number of aspiring gankers... However, if this is FD's thrust, I won't be stumping up for 2020...

Quite off-topic, but waiting for the "last hurrah", I can't pull out of my mind that Generation Ship Thetis which crew went mad when passing near some planet...
Whispers? Siren songs?

I think a few people searched in vain for the planetary source of the Thetis deadly message. Remember a few posts about it. Might have been in Alien architecture thread. You have tried a forum search haven’t you? 🧐

Good to hear from you on this Drew, and I agree with what you've said about the need for deeper narrative in the game. ED's depth is what sets it apart. Without the back story and the continued lore, its just a space shoot-em -up.

Maybe FD have done their marketing and truly believe there is more profit to be made from pew-pew than from adventuring. Maybe they are right - the number of people interested in finding R. compared with the number of aspiring gankers... However, if this is FD's thrust, I won't be stumping up for 2020...

Nor me. Shame, because no other game has captured and kept my interest for four years, and I would have happily paid for annual updates, but if there is no deeper underlying story that we can interact with & it just reduces down to pewpew with humans or goids or whatever then I won’t buy the update and will look for an alternative with real exploration possibilities. Looks like a few options might be out later this year or next.

That must be why there were 9 or 10 mystery threadnoughts with hundreds of participants while pew-pew is usually whining about this or that feature. Marketing needs to rethink what kind of community ED has me thinks :p

That must be why there were 9 or 10 mystery threadnoughts with hundreds of participants while pew-pew is usually whining about this or that feature. Marketing needs to rethink what kind of community ED has me thinks :p
As a broad, over-generalization, as I see it, there are two fan bases. The traditional gamer who likes pew-pew and the (possibly slightly older on average) fan base, many of whom have been fans since 1984 or 1992 (1992 in my case).

The first set of players is probably larger and is currently very well served.

The second set is probably smaller and increasingly less well served.

Insta-marketing would want to bring in the 1st group of players. Well thought-out, strategic marketing would want to retain the 2nd set, as they are largely more likely to keep playing the game for longer than the 1st set and are likely to buy ALL of the future updates, rather than maybe just 1 initial purchase, or 1 purchase plus 2020, until they move onto the next pew pew game.

Or thats how I see it anyway.

Scytale

Banned
Maybe FD have done their marketing and truly believe there is more profit to be made from pew-pew than from adventuring.
I suspect there was some disagreement about (how/when/how long) the Raxxla Quest between MB and DB at some point. Or the Quest was so tightly bound to MB's creativity that when he left, that "original" Raxxla did too. Suddenly, we went from dozens of Commanders following a trail spread with breadcrumbs pointing clearly (obviously ?) to The Myth, to nothing at all, for a couple of years until we were the Codex granted.
(I think MB really wanted us to find Raxxla but "some players" (follow my gaze) were coming too close to it and too early in the like of DB or both.) :p
DW's subtle comment conforts me in what I have been thinking for a couple of years.
You have tried a forum search haven’t you? 🧐
Didn't even need to. JulesD gently did it quickly for me !
The path has been searched on April, this year, at least, using the new "Explo" tools. But not sure about their efficiency with some very special surface POIs...

Last edited:
Mysteries have been quite popular. The best pusles in ED, have been those that have a strong meta component. Meaning that solving them requires or greatly benefits from external tools. A large portion of the player base has been quite critical to this approach.

It's hard to make in game pusles, with the same complexity as these meta pusles. If you ad a tool in game, it takes half an hour before everyone know it's use. The UP pusle would have take just a moment to solve, if we had in-game sound visualizers and octal number converters.

This is a hard balancing act for FD.

Personally I don't mind that some things are a bit meta, but it has to be within reasonable limits. FD has so far stuck to the self imposed rule of 'solvable with pen and paper', with the exception of the sonograms. This is of course a truth with limitations. I still can't decode the Morse code, without relying on recording, visualizing and the player made 'alphabet'.

What kind of pusle Raxxla is, is still completely unknown.

Whispers? Siren songs?
I met ship randomly, tried to track that planet back ....and met beacon which sends me to ship :D So i decided nothing.

Have a bit of faith...believe me a world where you can play some version of Elite is far better than one where you can't, even if it turns out there is no story which I doubt.

Fdev have a 10 year storyline arc, written before they released the game...players can affect the narrative (usually means players 'spoil' the journey and the fun by getting to the last page before the story has properly begun) but the story is still 5 years to go....some of it is Thargoid & pew pew for sure but DB loves his puzzles and riddles...

People who were involved in writing / developing that story don't need to be on it full time when written - think of it more as a 10 year business plan, things will only happen at certain times planned in advance years ago, focus can be put on other things coz this bit is 'planned'.

Entire Sectors of the Galaxy have been locked off - what is in store in here? Who expected the Guardians at all?

Planets of potential 'lore' significance have been locked off in Diso & Lave - if there's no lore connected with this then OK I've misjudged them

Alex Ryder was head of DW, links direct to RH and the old lore, it may have been ret-conned but this is at the very least an homage to that and trying to keep a link alive for people like me....it may be more

The lore isn't the storyline, and rightly as keeps it just 'for those with eyes to see' or 'those who want to'. The storyline arc is the main focus as this will drive the game but that doesn't mean both cant happen at the same time, or in unison. I just kind of hope the 10th year isn't everyone gets an invite to the Dark Wheel, we all join and take on the Club to find Raxxla which is in Thargoid space. Thats why it cant be the storyline.

ED is like life, you don't get always get 'congratulations' messages when you do stuff / succeed, this is the beauty and the frustration with the game...but its why those who love it love it and its not like any other game, and those who don't like it can't stand it coz its not like any other game that properly rewards the hero by at least acknowledging they have somehow done something or may have to do something. eg if there was Morse Code decryptor in the game it would lead us to test things, there deliberately isn't.

I can see why Fdev have this year gone for the revamp rather than the introduction and we know we have Sept & Dec & 2020 updates that all bring new things to play with if not lore yet...but there might be. I'm one of the old guard who has played since 1984, but there are hundreds of thousands of new players who need a new lore that fits into the story arc and is do-able in game. As well as just getting 90% of new players to not give up in 2 hours coz they don't know what they are doing or how to dock and undock even. you cant blame them for consolidating or at least trying to consolidate their new player base, and we will have more players to meet.

my only worry...what happens after 10 years? Does it all end?

Btw, what could Raxxla be now that would be anything but a letdown really? The Graveyard can now only exist ans an 'asteroid' ring of glinting ships in orbit around Tionisla, shining in the light but can't be visited due to visitor restrictions, it is a graveyard not a Tourist spot , but at least we could see the size and imagine. Any proper graveyard of ships will just be dull now and a let-down.

Top Bottom