has any thorough investigation been done on the "distorted planet noise sounds" that you get from hovering bodies in FSS?
i would imagine, if raxxla to be tied to such easily overlooked (yet FDEV took the time and effort to put it in) mechanic, that it would be behind some sort of out of the ordinary, and quite unique sounding planet, that could reveal something once the sound has been processed in some way. this has been done before, in many puzzle solving activities, where an image is converted to a noise audio file, through use of conversion softwares, wich can be re-converted back into original image form. i came across a few very interresting, unique and strange sounding bodies over the few hundred hours i spent in the game.

i also noticed that these keywords appear a lot around raxxla : whispering, singing, etc... if any whispering would appear in ED, i would imagine it would be from either witch space, or planet surface noise sounds.
it could also be something Dark wheel related. some sort of encrypted noise message from them, coming from a surface of a planet, and only picked up by the FSS noise surface sounds.
*queue the tinfoil hat spooky music

Last edited:
That’s actually an interesting point. DW’s quote of DB’s utterance was in July 14 (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-day-i-met-david-braben.25158/post-536632), which from the change notes thread was at the time of beta 1.04; I think DW said this was when he met DB at Lavecon (5-6 July 14). I was under the impression from somewhere that DB had said Raxxla had been in-game since the gamma; Gamma 1.01 was released Nov 2014. So was it actually in-game earlier? Am I mistaken in my gamma belief?
Could be it was in-game from beta 1.04, or earlier, but still being realised? Seems reasonable to assume that its implementation took a fair degree of polishing since it’s a major easter egg and DB’s baby.

But yes, Raxxla has been ‘in existence’ since circa 1984!
Gamma was when the galaxy was opened up. Before that(beta period) the game space was limited to cylinder from the Eranin region, almost to Sol.
There was also a regeneration of the galaxy at gamma launch. Many systems changed quite a bit.
Gamma was when we got the galaxy we have now. Even if Raxxla was coded earlier, it would probably not have been 'in the game'.

Might be getting too involved with words and trying to find meaning here, lets imagine a scenario.

Company A is planning to build a game and its in development. Several ideas of what could be included are discussed. At a meeting ideas are ruled in or out. At that point onwards the included ones can be said to be 'in the game' even though its not been developed yet. eg

Are space legs in? no theyre not (not yet, we can add them later maybe)
Are planetary landings in? no theyre not (not yet, its something we want to add soon though)
Are several types of space station in the game? Yes they're in the game. (even if zero code has been written at this point)

is Raxxla in the game?.....Yes

The question wasn't, is Raxxla in the Beta and the Gamma or just the Gamma?

Not to my knowledge

I spent the evening looking for the UA Shell arond Merope (was going to pick one up so i could open the door at a Thargoid base) but couldnt find it - Thargoid activity seems to start around 97ly from merope and then you get alot of thargoid activity starting at around 75ly from merope... but didnt see the shell... I also managed to get ganked by an NPC while in Merope ... I was busy looking at signal sources and got pulled out of hyperspace and made minced meat of ... i forgot i had a hold full of tasty guardian tech and my explorer asp is held together with tinfoil..... Just bummed about all the exploration data I was hording...

Picked up 2 Thargoid Sensors in Asterope in NHSS Threat 5 POI's; you're welcome to them...The hearts I need myself for the Thargoid decals :)
2o1rG1K.jpg

Different, the 1 Arx is a wire frame original Elite version, the heart is a shrunk down ED universe Interceptor.
I have two like that, kinda. 1 has three gold stars under it (1st xeno defense😁) the other does not (third place last season). Sorry to brag I'm just proud of my squadron and all our hard work.
PS_Messages_20191031_110613.jpg

Look at those sexy trophies!

Last edited:
So this came up elsewhere, and it seems quite important with regards to getting invites etc., assuming it went in to the final game:
Source: https://youtu.be/rOYhoFYIWmw?t=7m15s

Before seeing this - hadnt realised that NPCs aren't in the PF, and getting to Elite does not mean you are in the EFP...
Always hated that we were differentiated from the AI. Should all show the same on the scanner.....

The being allowed in at a lesser rank is interesring from the context of "the real dark wheel" or posibly finding the mystical station.

Top Bottom