A thought occurred to me this morning (it happens occasionally) whilst in the shower
DB video “ED has a story that "embraces all the players"
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDh9G1gDgMU
he talks about an invitation to join a secret organisation as being an event that happens at a certain point in a player’s progression/journey through the game.

"You know, if you get invited to join a secret organisation, that can happen to lots of people. And the great thing is, if it doesn't happen to you you'll go "oh, why have they not invited me?" But then that's exciting, you'll think "oh well, ok, I did kill that policeman the other day, maybe I need to get my reputation a bit higher."

The thought was that if you know other people have been invited.....
It’s not a very secret organisation! 😁

RE: DB - I just dont know. I think that in context, along with all his other dreams.txt about the 'living universe' (Big game hunter missions, Princess missions, Diplomacy etc etc) that these are things that he imagined that made the galaxy alive. Some of them may have made it into the game in a slightly different format (we have BBS missions of all sorts, maybe that one just got reworded) or they arent there yet - no animals means no big game and no big game missions of the various descriptions....yet, I do believe that everything he said he would like to build and put in at some point, I hope so, I want to see what DB has been thinking of for 40+ years and damn I want to play it.

ATM there are no societies that are generally known that exclude membership for killing that police the other day. It may have morphed into the Engineers (secretive?), or (unlikely but maybe) even pmf and faction ranks, or maybe those Elite ranked missions, different 1 for each Elite rank. Maybe the idea is there but the function is not - have to gain favour with someone to get that reward?

So dunno whats in game, whats been rewritten or evolved into something that is in game and what is still to come.

Or its waiting for software to catch up like Im convinced the Tharg story is waiting for legs at least.

We know he brought the Club in, so hes definitely still in the conspiracy market and keeping people guessing, so its plausible his secret society has been waiting for legs too. (fdev have no problem taking salt if they think or know they have something coming, they just dont talk about it until it and they are ready as want to keep the surprise for the players who actually find the surprise, I do admire them for that even though I get frustrated at times, I always believe this isn't the end, not by a long way)

RE: DB - I just dont know. I think that in context, along with all his other dreams.txt about the 'living universe' (Big game hunter missions, Princess missions, Diplomacy etc etc) that these are things that he imagined that made the galaxy alive. Some of them may have made it into the game in a slightly different format (we have BBS missions of all sorts, maybe that one just got reworded) or they arent there yet - no animals means no big game and no big game missions of the various descriptions....yet, I do believe that everything he said he would like to build and put in at some point, I hope so, I want to see what DB has been thinking of for 40+ years and damn I want to play it.

ATM there are no societies that are generally known that exclude membership for killing that police the other day. It may have morphed into the Engineers (secretive?), or (unlikely but maybe) even pmf and faction ranks, or maybe those Elite ranked missions, different 1 for each Elite rank. Maybe the idea is there but the function is not - have to gain favour with someone to get that reward?

So dunno whats in game, whats been rewritten or evolved into something that is in game and what is still to come.

Or its waiting for software to catch up like Im convinced the Tharg story is waiting for legs at least.
P
We know he brought the Club in, so hes definitely still in the conspiracy market and keeping people guessing, so its plausible his secret society has been waiting for legs too. (fdev have no problem taking salt if they think or know they have something coming, they just dont talk about it until it and they are ready as want to keep the surprise for the players who actually find the surprise, I do admire them for that even though I get frustrated at times, I always believe this isn't the end, not by a long way)

Indeed. The only two secret societies we know in-game are The Club and TDW. I should think killing a policeman (or a few hundred) would be an essentila part of any entrance exam for The Club. So we’re left with TDW. I think personal reputation sort of fits with their retconned description in the Codex (as opposed to the implication of the original Holdstock cabal)- a “legendary group of adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters” might tiptoe outside the law with a little rule-breaking/theft/non-deadly piracy, but would probably not be into murder. But it’s surprising nobody has yet claimed to have been invited to join or is actually a member (with evidence).

Edit: that’s not strictly true-don’t we have a hint from a tourist beacon about some secretive elite subdivision of Pilots Federation? But the point I made still applies...

Edit2: it would be really interesting to have a livestream or two about how the actual game design decisions have constrained the original game concept he had, and whether they might be changed in future releases. An update of the original design forum!

Last edited:
tinfoil off - the story got shelved or paused or put on hold or something happened. Not sure if the original story has been revived as something else or even more overarching but think the 2 year story coming is at least part of the old story again, so its catching up from where it left off and would have gone next. But the team have been writing for 12 weeks so its going elsewhere as well :)

tinfoil on - 5 years isnt long, political alliances come and go and ambitious people see info they could leak for their own benefit. Loyalties change or fear goes and witnesses start to speak up. Especially if there has been an official cover-up at the start.

or Someone or a group of someone see now as the right time to enact the next stage in their grand scheme. Trouble for the Empire, trouble for the Federation......trouble for who knows what or who or how or why or when?

Trying to think....Where does A Friend appear, other than the letter from our beneficiary?

I think there are a few tip off missions that are from A Friend (most are mysterious strangers)

Is there anywhere else?

As a side note - it would be a nice little twist if it was a bit of a double bluff and it turns out there is a character in TDW called Alex Friend :)

I know of another occasion when the friend contacts us.
Usually i don't do a lot of combat but back in January (2019) I completed a lot of 'kill pirate' missions in one system in order to gain combat elite rank (unfortunately can't remember where exactly, but it was no special faction like DW or similar). Killed hundreds of pirates of one anarchy faction which made me a hostile commander to them. I completed even more kill pirate missions and suddenly got a message from the hostile faction. They told me that its enough and that they start sending out agents to hunt me down. Soon after that another message appeared, from our 'friend' , who told me how I could get rid of those agents. Had to scan something on a planetary outpost nearby (something common like generator or turret or similar, but again cannot remember exactly). After the scan the agents disappeared....

Meanwhile I found out where this happened and which faction were involved. I really was eager to reinvestigate this experience as I think there is/was more to it, and spent weeks on trying to replicate it - but just with moderate success. I was able to trigger the message from the anarchy faction, but the message from "a friend" did not appear afterwards.
The reason for this (I can think of) may be one of the following:

• I was in supercruise last time (1,5 years ago) and in normal space this time (in an asteroid belt) when the message appeared .
  • ED may have changed this in the meantime (perhaps reserved for Odyssey)
  • Could be a bug
  • Last time I played on Win 7 and this time on Linux. Pirates and also other targets simply do not spawn sometimes. Network seems to not work correctly according to some WINE error messages and neither manual port forwarding, nor UPNP port forwarding works. I can imagine this prevents triggering the special message (client/server communication error)

I spent hours per day and earned nearly 3 billion credits, just by killing pirates in the process. Last year it wasn't even one billion ... and the messages appeared.
Stopped playing weeks ago. Not knowing whether this game mechanic still exists, or if it is a bug which prevents those messages (which also is very likely), or my OS, or whatever reason, drives me crazy. I would so much appreciate if FDEV could confirm if this is still in game (a simple yes or no would be completely fine), because right now it feels like I wasted my time on this - but I guess this won't happen.
filing a bug report makes no sense in this case, as I'm using a not supported OS. But installing Windows on my computer is not gonna happen on my side.

However, here is the message that I was able to trigger (in german language) from the anarchy faction.
Last year the message from "a friend" , who maybe Alex friend, as someone in this thread suggested, appeared immediately afterwards. But not this time
Oh, and the targeted ship is one of their agents.

I'm afraid that, caused by your last activities, it is time to take care of you, commander. Agents are on their way to eliminate you.

Last edited:
An addition to my post above:

It just occurred to me, that there was even more game mechanics which did work for me last time (in 2019 on Windows), but not this time.

I am speaking of chain missions. Sometimes upon completion of a "kill x pirates", "kill pirate lord x", and mssions like "deliver item x" and so on, I received the message that there is a follow up mission for me on the board.
Unfortunately quite often the mission simply did not appear. But I found a (partial) solution for this. If you wait in normal space, or in supercruise, for at least 30 minutes , you might be able to trigger these follow up missions. They appear in your inbox. But this does not always work - sometimes you just receive a standard mission. The more you wait, the more mission contracts may appear in the inbox. Also Ariel, The Mineral Magpie and a third trader (can't remember the name... something something Commodities) can be triggered this way.

The follow up missions of "kill pirate lord x" is often "X had partners... please kill them". If you complete this there may be another follow up mission, which is also the one which may appear if you do "kill x pirates" . Something similar to "Now please cut off the head of the snake". And upon completion of this mission there may even appear another (probably the last) follow up mission. And this one is quite interesting - it even does not appear in your mission list, you just have the message in your inbox and 2 or 2,5 hours left to complete it . You need to kill the new leader of the pirates. I think I was able to complete this back in 2019 (at first by accident) and IIRC it also triggered the message from "A friend". I located the target by scanning a part of a surface installation back in the days - the same way you locate a terrorist in "kill terrorist x" missions. Unfortunately this time I wasn't able to find the mission target (tried it 3 or 4 times). Even checked supercruise, stations, belts, planets in the target system.

Here is the screenshot of the last mission (again, in german language):

Commander, after your latest attempts to eliminate the threads of the pirates, they have obviously found another new leader.
Find and kill the person. With that you make the galaxy a safer place. Good luck!

I'm sharing all this because I believe getting contacted by "A friend" has to do with TDW invite.
As a confirmation that 'they' are watching us and that the commander is on the right track. Remember "They will find you"

The idea that it's not an a planetary surface is erroneous.

You can see a lot of surface details from orbit. There is no reason to believe that it couldn't be placed on a surface we can't reach. The only thing Fdev said was that you could find raxxla... Not that you could visit it.

It's also extremely unlikely there are any connections to mythology or books in regards to where raxxla is. Not only would it not make any sense in lore (since mythology and thus the names of stars etc are earth centric and raxxla is decidedly not human-made ....but fdev has stated that there would be no clues to raxxla).

Raxxla is meant to be a needle in the haystack blind search that has a good chance of never coming to fruition. It would be immensely stupid of fdev to not draw out it's discovery for as long as possible...if not indefinitely. Finding it is not in anyone's benefit. The search is.

I just keep my eyes out for anything obviously weird as I jump randomly from system to system. That's no better odds than someone spending a lot of effort trying to find connections and clues where there are none. Though, if it's in a roid cluster....the only way it'll be found is if fdev leaks it. nobody's checking all those.

needle in a haystack and for eyes that can see ;)

what if you are bang on the money.

in one of the terrain tech (or was it stellarforge) videos, they said the tech was flexible to have planets landscapes generated and created by not just the the stellar forge simulation but also allows artists to create custom geometry,for example the engineers bases have custom made landscapes around them.
now if I recall correctly, (citation required here ) they stated that to Quality Assure the robustness of the custom art work blending with the stellar forge simulation, that an artist was tasked to carve portraits and art onto Planets surfaces.

And if we think back to the 1970’s the bad Viking photos cause a “face” on Mars, and we‘ve always had the “man in the moon”,

I can’t help but think of a planet sized Easter Egg of David Braben’s Portrait etched into a planets surface somewhere,
With a message akin to Douglas Adams
God's Final Message to His Creation:
'We apologize for the inconvenience”
So
“Thanks for all the pizza to help get the game
Launched”!

Such a thing, won’t appear in a scan, and we trust in our scans, contacts list or message inbox to give us the “congratulations You found raxxla”.
And instead it’s .... oohh it’s visual Easter egg.
You could be sooo correct, it’s very cheeky and something they could totally do :)

Last edited:
Here’s an idea I had that fits a lot of the clues. Raxxla is a fuel. Some kind of exotic element that allows us to dramatically increase the jump range of our ship. It’s the key that’s also the door to a new level of exploration. That’s why The Dark Wheel, explorers, are super interested in it. It’s something you can lose or run out of and have to find again. It’s something each commander must find themselves as it’s not a place, but a tool.

Found two alternative interpretations for journey systems from the Argonautica yesterday. Visited them & returned to the end point. Still nothing happened. Perhaps you have to get allied at each? But couple of them are uninhabited....

In process to get allied at the end point & if that fails will go looking around the galactic centroid point. But saw a chained mission at one of the delivery points for promotion to vice admiral; be nice to get a pay raise, plus a little vice! 🤪

Good, now that they got the so called alleged " perpetrator " something is going to happen.

1. He will be assassinated before courts.
2. He or his attorney will say something on his behalf.
3. Something big might happen possible break out.
4. He will suddenly just disappear

Fact of the matter if you are involved of StarShip One, no one wants this person to be heard under any circumstance. It's a bad dilemma either it can be a questionable just sentence some innocent person, or his involved with some organization. My Credits are this person is innocent and now they need to shift the narrative before he gets his time in court.

Good, now that they got the so called alleged " perpetrator " something is going to happen.

1. He will be assassinated before courts.
2. He or his attorney will say something on his behalf.
3. Something big might happen possible break out.
4. He will suddenly just disappear

Fact of the matter if you are involved of StarShip One, no one wants this person to be heard under any circumstance. It's a bad dilemma either it can be a questionable just sentence some innocent person, or his involved with some organization. My Credits are this person is innocent and now they need to shift the narrative before he gets his time in court.
He cant be a patsy. We dont know his middle name. All patsys are known by 3 names. Most famous example Lee Harvey Oswald. If he had of really done it, nobody would have known his middle name was Lee. The feds are essentially CIA ancestors so would surely follow this tradition :D

Top Bottom