I cant do astrophysics math but my guess is something to do with tide locking. Like if the moon is tide locked to the gas giant and its orbit is slow enough, it would always be on the dark side.

This is not what it means for a body to be tidally locked. The Moon, for instance, is tidally locked to the Earth. The same side always faces Earth as it completes an orbit.

What you're talking about is Lagrange Points which (I may be wrong) I don't believe are supported by the physics of the Elite Dangerous game engine. An object orbiting at L[SUB]2[/SUB] would remain eclipsed from the star by the planet that it is orbiting:

220px-Lagrangianpointsanimated.gif

A bunch of requests about Raxxla came up on my twitch stream last night, so I sort of went into it a bit. I've uploaded it to youtube for reference. You may find it interesting.

[video=youtube;1AsfgQqbRKM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AsfgQqbRKM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Cheers,

Drew.

A bunch of requests about Raxxla came up on my twitch stream last night, so I sort of went into it a bit. I've uploaded it to youtube for reference. You may find it interesting.

Cheers,

Drew.
Many thanks for posting this! o7
Interesting point about specific systems from the original Elite being chosen for inclusion in ED. There is a complete list of all the systems in the 8 galaxies in Oolite at http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Category:Oolite_planet_list
Do the systems in Oolite exactly match the original Elite? This would seem to be a good starting point to find places of interest that may have some relevance to the lore of both The Dark Wheel and Raxxla.

IIRC, on the other forum a group of pilots visited, triangulated and calculated all main planets from the previous games and books.
They compared it to the actual game to locate the myth, but the errors on distance differences were huge and nothing usable came out.

So far I only have the 1st galaxy in the 1984 elite matched against EDSM. The in game systems are:

QUBE
LAVE
LEGEES
QUATOR
AREXE
REORTE
RIEDQUAT
LEESTI
RA
ENSOREUS
LEONED
ERLAZA
TIONISLA
ZAONCE
TEVERI
EDEDLEEN
DISO
AONA
ISINOR
USZAA
LARAIS
ZARECE
TIBIONIS
ORRERE
QUCERERE
RITILA
ORESQU
TEORGE
QUTIRI
TIANVE
ORERVE

Of these there are a few oddities that have no planets: QUTIRI,QUCERERE,TIBIONIS,AONA,ERLAZA,LEONED,QUBE - of these AONA is in the DW novella
Scanning these systems with FSS would seem to be a good idea in case we have missed something.

Only ISINOR is permit locked and can be obtained

USZAA have a world far out named 'Jameson's Pride'

None have an 8th moon of a gas giant, though there are eight bodies around a gas giant in Tionisla (but every man and his dog and its fleas have been there!)

If you count Y brown dwarves as gas giants (as EDSM seems to) then RA is a possibility - and given its name , I'd go there too and have a scratch around :)

Bizarrely Leesti data is either corrupt or incomplete on EDSM :S

Happy hunting ,

YB

Last edited:

Cheers,

Drew.

Just finished watching the stream. Tyvm for that 07.
The one thing that irks me (not about your exposee but in general) is that Raxxla hasn't been found in the 1984 Elite. I mean what's the point of hyping it up... shipping a whole book about it with the game... and then NOT putting it in the game.

I don't like my own theory about the above.. which is to dangle a carrot to give people a purpose. A purpose that never vanishes because it can't be found.

Regarding the 'other universe' / 'other galaxy' in the sense of Elite 1984 -> i read that to simply be: 'not on chart 1'.

So far I only have the 1st galaxy in the 1984 elite matched against EDSM. The in game systems are:

QUBE
LAVE
LEGEES
QUATOR
AREXE
REORTE
RIEDQUAT
LEESTI
RA
ENSOREUS
LEONED
ERLAZA
TIONISLA
ZAONCE
TEVERI
EDEDLEEN
DISO
AONA
ISINOR
USZAA
LARAIS
ZARECE
TIBIONIS
ORRERE
QUCERERE
RITILA
ORESQU
TEORGE
QUTIRI
TIANE
ORERVE

Of these there are a few oddities that have no planets: QUTIRI,QUCERERE,TIBIONIS,AONA,ERLAZA,LEONED,QUBE - of these AONA is in the DW novella
Scanning these systems with FSS would seem to be a good idea in case we have missed something.

None have an 8th moon of a gas giant, though there are eight bodies around a gas giant in Tionisla (but every man and his dog and its fleas have been there!)

If you count Y brown dwarves as gas giants (as EDSM seems to) then RA is a possibility - and given its name , I'd go there too and have a scratch around :)

Happy hunting ,

YB
Qutiri is also mentioned indirectly in The Dark Wheel novella, as Alex is given Qutirian SynCognac by a rescue robot whilst in his Remlok waiting for a ship to recover him (page 14). I also see Xezaor, a system in the original Elite mentioned in TDW novella (where Alex has his first solo combat) is not in EDSM. I'll have a look for it in the Galaxy Map - EDSM entries imply a previous visit by someone running EDDiscovery or similar so it could still be there.
I think the systems you list above will make a good set to scan this weekend :)

This is my list of TDW novella references - missed out the brandy :)

SystemIn Game ?Comments
TeorgeYdestination of Salome. Brithplace of
Elyssia Fields
XezaorNRyders first kill
DykstraNsource of traders parasites
OresrianNinsectoids not to be confused with
Thargs.
MymurthNsource of animals
CiragNdestination of Mymurths
DironothaxarNSource of ‘lifebones’
RegitiNMoray starboat worlds
AonaYstar only
OntiatNRyder’s home world

These were checked in game. Lots of systems not in game...

Last edited:
Interestingly there is only 1 system in galaxy 2 that is in the EDSM list

Atius:

21 bodies with no GG's with 8.
2 outposts and a planetary outpost

Atius is an American Indian deity:

'The creator deity of the Pawnees. He is said to have ordered the courses of the sun, moon, and stars. The Pawnee tribes were so named because the warriors dressed their hair like ‘a horn’. The conception of Atius Tirawa may owe something to European settlers, whom the Pawnees encountered on the Great Plains, but astral worship was always a feature of their belief.'

So might be a coincidence, but no sign of this name in RW astronomy at least not in SIMBAD..

Shame I'm 000s of lY away ..
YB

Last edited:
We have Lagrange clouds, which could be a hint that this mechanic might work. Even though clouds would not accumulate at unstable points, as L2. A station could stay at L2 with little energy for position correction.

This is not what it means for a body to be tidally locked. The Moon, for instance, is tidally locked to the Earth. The same side always faces Earth as it completes an orbit.

What you're talking about is Lagrange Points which (I may be wrong) I don't believe are supported by the physics of the Elite Dangerous game engine. An object orbiting at L[SUB]2[/SUB] would remain eclipsed from the star by the planet that it is orbiting:

Yep this is exactly what I was conceptualizing, thanks for the info! Im learning new stuff about our skies, constellations, and astrophysics stuff every day from this game. Kind of cool to be honest.

Last edited:
And in the other galaxy maps:

ATEN
RAIN

Nothing special.

Note that Atius (see above) appears in map 3 as well as map 2

YB

QUBE
LAVE
LEGEES
QUATOR
AREXE
REORTE
RIEDQUAT
LEESTI
RA
ENSOREUS
LEONED
ERLAZA
TIONISLA
ZAONCE
TEVERI
EDEDLEEN
DISO
AONA
ISINOR
USZAA
LARAIS
ZARECE
TIBIONIS
ORRERE
QUCERERE
RITILA
ORESQU
TEORGE
QUTIRI
TIANVE
ORERVE

Happy hunting ,

YB

If you search for Beor, you will be led to CD-64 139, so it might be ingame, too.
Thirty of the systems build kind of a cluster - two are more off the path: Ra and Beor. Ra is kind of interesting: it has an Unauthorized Installation called "Steelhook Hold", orbiting the 8. moon of a brown dwarf - which is kind of a slightly bigger gas giant ;-). You normally will be immediately attacked by pirates, if you enter the site.

Last edited:
1) there are no clues 1a). (Codex entries for Dark Wheel & Raxxla appear to be more fd misdirection, but some have faith that they are clues) 2) there is much speculation 2a) (there is also much mythology) 3) there are as many hypotheses as players 4) actually there are probably more hypotheses than players 5) there is no concensus on any hypothesis or set thereof Good luck in your Quest. Let us know if you find anything! :) PS. We are always happy to discuss hypotheses! PPS. We are even happier when someone presents some evidence! :D
Thanks mate. Sums it up perfectly for me, so I can keep doing what I'm doing in game, and catch up on the Raxxla theory in thread over time :)

Adding to Jorki's excellent summary - all facts are on the first page. In actuality all facts are in the first paragraphs, now that the Dark Wheel missions have vanished. Welcome to the quest - at least the beer is good even if it is served in tinfoil mugs :) YB
Thanks yelboc, I was worried that hidden within the 400-odd pages in this thread there might have been some discoveries or agreed upon theories that help me get started :) I'll get started on making my mug

If you search for Beor, you will be led to CD-64 139, so it might be ingame, too.
Thirty of the systems build kind of a cluster - two are more off the path: Ra and Beor. Ra is kind of interesting: it has an Unauthorized Installation called "Steelhook Hold", orbiting the 8. moon of a brown dwarf - which is kind of a slightly bigger gas giant ;-). You normally will be immediately attacked by pirates, if you enter the site.
Beor returns that system because there is a planet in that system called Beorg (the Galmap search returns some planet names as well as system names and stations - searching for the system Ara was a nightmare!). It's unusual to have a named Ammonia World but the station orbiting it has a slightly different configuration of name, which makes me wonder if this was named by a backer. I don't think it's a re-named Beor.
This evening I manged to visit all the Galaxy 1 systems in the game, going one by one through the list and checking if they were in the Galaxy Map, except for some of the key systems which I fully expect to have been visited in 3.3 and scanned already (e.g. Lave, Reorte, Tionisla, Teorge). It's getting late so I'll edit this post tomorrow and fill in the details. Here are the highlights:
  • Two systems from the original Galaxy 1 are positioned well away from the Lave cluster: Ra and Erlaza. Erlaza is about 100 LY from Lave and in the direction of Ra, roughly half way between them.
  • One system is notably much closer to Lave than it was in the original Elite: Tianve (was almost 90 LY, now 24 LY).
  • The three busiest systems in terms of Megaships and Installations were: Ra, Ededleen and Zarece. In each case they had 4 Installations and 2 Megaships.
  • Preliminary checks for Galaxy 2 and 3 systems that I have made so far include only Atrius (~144 LY from Lave) and Rain (just over 100LY from Atrius). Interestingly, considering Lave, Atrius and Ran it almost looks like they are forming an arc around the edge of the Bubble (almost, the centre seems closer to Regulus than Sol).
EDIT: Full details (note that I have not checked the megaships or installations for logs, except where mentioned)
Qube (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
Legees (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- megaship LEG-787 Demeter-Class Cropper (orbits Legees)
- installation Pasteur Crest (orbits Legees 5a)
- installation Wagner Hieghts (orbits Legees 6)
- installation Glorius Crow (orbits Legees 7)
Quator (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no POI
Arexe (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Collective Sagacity Satellite (orbits Arexe 5f)
- installation Universal Trade Board (orbits Arexe 5ea)
- megaship ARE-317 Freedom-Class Surveyor (orbits Arexe 5)
- installation Galactic Culture Administration (orbits Arexe 6)
Ra (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- megaship RA-081 Sagan-Class Traveller (orbits Ra 5)
- megaship RA-000 Banner-Class Hauler (orbits Ra 6)
- installation Constitutional Culture Administration (orbits Ra 13g)
- installation Basilica Projects (orbits Ra 13f)
- installation Steelhook Hold (orbits Ra 13h). visited: no logs
- installation Hidden Ridge Standing (orbits Ra 14)
- Ra system is 'out of position' compared to other Galaxy 1 systems by ~200 LY
Ensoreus (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Civil Investment Board (orbits Ensoreus A5)
- megaship ENS-361 Dionysus-Class Cropper (orbits Ensoreus A7)
- installation Rossini Point (orbits Ensoreus A7)
- installation Mystic Faith General Hospital (orbits Ensoreus A6)
- installation Matisse Market (orbits Ensoreus A8)
- megaship ENS-851 Hercules-Class Hauler (orbits Ensoreus A8)
Leoned (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
Qutiri (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
Erlaza (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
- system is ~100 LY 'out of position' compared to other Galaxy 1 systems, located roughly half way between Lave and Ra (see above)
Teveri (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- megaship TEV-051 Hercules-Class Hauler (orbits Teveri A5)
- installation Joint Control Network (orbits Teveri A5)
- Federation Cap Ship (orbits Teveri A5f)
- installation Hannibal Surveillance Department (orbits Teveri B7)
Ededleen (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Conjunct Intelligence Communications (orbits Ededleen A3a)
- megaship EDE-649 Sanchez-Class Researcher (orbits Ededleen A7)
- installation Stellar Biochemical Development (orbits Ededleen A7)
- megaship EDE-983 James-class Hauler (orbits Ededleen A10)
- installation Falcon Centre (orbits Ededleen B4)
- installation Mystic Pastures Hospice (orbits Ededleen B5)
Aona (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
Uszaa (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Interstellar Welfare Board (orbits Uszaa 2c)
- megaship USZ-565 Sagan-Class Traveller (orbits Uszaa 2)
- installation Boudica Security Department (orbits Uszaa 2)
- installation Cardinal Projects (orbits Uszaa 2d)
Larais (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Cosmic Communication Core (orbits Larais 1a)
Zarece (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Scarlet Lake Acres (orbits Zarece)
- installation Apex Statistical Technologies (orbits Zarece BC 2f)
- installation Exploratory Medical Research (orbits Zarece BC 2e)
- megaship ZAR-100 Beckett-Class Researcher (orbits Zarece BC 2c)
- installation Empyrean Reflection Communications (orbits Zarece BC 3b)
- megaship ZAR-162 Aquarius-Class Tanker (orbits Zarece BC 3)
Tibionis (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
Orrere (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Spearpoint Camp (orbits Orrere 2c)
- installation Progressive Genetic Innovations (orbits Orrere 3)
- megaship ORR-164 Beckett-Class Researcher (orbits _forgot to record_ but probably in vicinity of Orrere 3)
- installation Prime Food Agency (orbits Orrere 3d)
Qucerere (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305): no planets or POI
Ritila (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Mutual Pharmaceutical Analysis (orbits Ritila 5)
- installation Thule Mobile Security Bureau (orbits Ritila 8)
- installation Beta Fortification Bureau (orbits Ritila 9)
- megaship RIT-451 Naphtha-Class Tanker (orbits Ritila 9)
Oresqu (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Green Fortune Health Club (orbits Oresqu A3d)
- installation Sovereign Mobile Defence (orbits Oresqu A3)
- megaship ORE-296 Banner-Class Hauler (orbits Oresqu A3)
- installation Skewed Falcon (orbits Oresqu A3)
Tianve (Galaxy 1, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Solemn Summit Hospital (orbits Tianve 9)
- system is much closer to Lave than in the original Elite (~24 LY instead of ~90 LY)
Atius (Galaxy 2, visited 8th March 3305):
- installation Eager Stag (orbits Atius 7)
- distance from Lave: 143.54 LY
Ausis (Galaxy 2): this is not a system in ED but is planet 2 in the Hofada system (yet to visit)
Rain (Galaxy 3, visited 10th March 3305):
- installation Purple Horse (orbits Rain 3)
- installation New Pulsar Tooling (orbits Rain 4)
- installation United Acumen Systems (orbits Rain 5)
- megaship RAI-537 Samson-Class Hauler (forgot to note location)
- distance from Atius: 106.60 LY
Aten (Galaxy 4, visited 10th March 3305):
- installation Eden Foundation (orbits A5d)
- distance from Rain: 129.14 LY
- distance from Lave: 165.71 LY

Last edited:
Heya, I read this whole thread (twice!), and asking new peeps who are starting out on their Raxxla journey to go through it is a bit... daunting. It took me several days to get through it each time.

I tried to compile everyone's theories, guesses, speculations into a google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xWZ-USAMhcpMIeNECsUd_pOChwxI_-J_pfqj0RGWul0/edit?usp=sharing

I linked back to the specific post that suggested looking in a certain place, and I only included guesses/theories that seemed to point in specific directions/narrow down the search area.
I'm going to go through the doc over the next few days and clean it up, add commander names for credit. Maybe make it look nicer, add a spreadsheet, etc

Scytale

Banned

Cheers,

Drew.

Fine stream, thx for clarifying some concepts and lore.
But you didn't even mention a few important things:

_ (no clues) ' Mmmh, that's true but I think you have to make part of it a tiny bit obvious, so people know what they are doing.' (MB)
_ A certain celestial body. The Myth. Obfuscated in the outer rim.
(E/F missions.)

No thoughts about these ?

I wonder... Can the seed be changed in the random generator to give the distances we see in ED?? A hard thing to find though...

YB

Heya, I read this whole thread (twice!), and asking new peeps who are starting out on their Raxxla journey to go through it is a bit... daunting. It took me several days to get through it each time. I tried to compile everyone's theories, guesses, speculations into a google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xWZ-USAMhcpMIeNECsUd_pOChwxI_-J_pfqj0RGWul0/edit?usp=sharing I linked back to the specific post that suggested looking in a certain place, and I only included guesses/theories that seemed to point in specific directions/narrow down the search area. I'm going to go through the doc over the next few days and clean it up, add commander names for credit. Maybe make it look nicer, add a spreadsheet, etc
Great link, thanks!

Top Bottom