I'll throw this in - perhaps it's been said already:

'Empyrean' (as in Empyrean Straits in Elite Dangerous):

'The region of pure light and fire; the highest heaven, where the pure element of fire was supposed by the ancients to exist: the same as the ether, the ninth heaven according to ancient astronomy.' - https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/empyrean
'In ancient cosmologies, the Empyrean Heaven, or simply the Empyrean, was the place in the highest heaven, which was supposed to be occupied by the element of fire (or aether in Aristotle's natural philosophy). The word derives from the Medieval Latin empyreus, an adaptation of the Ancient Greek empyrus (ἔμπυρος), meaning "in or on the fire (pyr)".​
The Empyrean was thus used as a name for the firmament, and in Christian literature for the dwelling-place of God, the blessed, celestial beings so divine they are made of pure light, and the source of light and creation. Notably, at the very end of Dante's Paradiso, Dante visits God in the Empyrean.' - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyrean
Galnet (17 MAY 3305: Ship Thief’s Personal Log Discovered) snippet:

'"Our analysts have recovered a few fragments of these recordings, which appear to have been part of a dream journal. In them, Romero makes repeated mention of seeing ‘an area of space, not black but radiant…glowing like heaven,’ and being called by ‘voices that didn’t come from anything with a body’.”' - https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/?_ga=2.31617022.1381856172.1558197208-2045474525.1557421150
This is a huge area of the galaxy, with absolutely tons of stars...

I'm quite certain it's a reference to this. A total flashback to my earlier career as a planetary surface racing pilot, before they made some kind of typo in the Pilot's Federation office and granted me the license and a loan Sidewinder.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ04aN9tcfk

Here's a short recap of my endeavors:
Lately I've been doing both normal and passenger missions for TDW, got a few tip off missions, but the game client crashes when skimmers are shooting at me. The bug is confirmed, but not yet fixed, so that's on hold. 😠 The missions have progressing difficulty, might that be an indication of TDW's test?
I want to visit Alpha Site in Formidine Rift and hear for myself is sirens are singing there, but none of TDW's famous explorers don't want to go even in the general direction.
While waiting for one, I'm trying to raise TDW's influence in LFT 926, but it seems I'm doing it alone.
I want to test my jewel in the Nut's brow hypothesis, but both brute force flying from one system to another and searching for nearby compatible systems from the list are tedious and time consuming. Either I or a guy from Reddit will write a program that will print all systems with 8 moons around gas giants near my position.
Until something changes, I'll continue grinding my rep with TDW's allies and changing their influence in LFT 926. Any help is more than welcome. :)

Edit: One more thing I'd like to try is throwing SAP-8 containers with other stuff (Trinkets of Hidden Fortune, Soontil relics) into a Thargoid Device. I'd love to believe that those spiraling stars there are not just a fancy decoration.

Hi Midian Cabal,

Did you ever get another 'tip off mission' after doing rank up missions for TDW? Or does the game still crash for you?

I'm interested, because I've received a tip off mission after doing a Founder/Elite mission directly for TDW and although my game doesn't seem to crash - sneaking into a Military +++ large installation is certainly ranking as one of the most impossible things I've attempted in-game to-date. Cost me roughly 20M in fines / bounties, and I've lost 4 SRVs scouting and trying to get to the core for scanning. Can't take it by air solo doesn't seem to work for me (fully engineered Vette + Elite Pilot) vs 4-5 System Defence + Police after 4 minutes + Ground Anti-Ship turrets, and/or having 5 goliath skimmers chasing me + turrets when I'm on the ground isn't working for me either.

Anyone else successfully raided a Large Military +++ High Security? Any tips?!
Source: https://i.imgur.com/uoGYwDP.jpg

It might just be a 'normal' tip-off, but I'd like to complete it to verify that is the case.

Fly Dangerously.
/Ra

Hi Midian Cabal,

Did you ever get another 'tip off mission' after doing rank up missions for TDW? Or does the game still crash for you?

I'm interested, because I've received a tip off mission after doing a Founder/Elite mission directly for TDW and although my game doesn't seem to crash - sneaking into a Military +++ large installation is certainly ranking as one of the most impossible things I've attempted in-game to-date. Cost me roughly 20M in fines / bounties, and I've lost 4 SRVs scouting and trying to get to the core for scanning. Can't take it by air solo doesn't seem to work for me (fully engineered Vette + Elite Pilot) vs 4-5 System Defence + Police after 4 minutes + Ground Anti-Ship turrets, and/or having 5 goliath skimmers chasing me + turrets when I'm on the ground isn't working for me either.

It might just be a 'normal' tip-off, but I'd like to complete it to verify that is the case.

Fly Dangerously.
/Ra
I'm curious as to what system your mysterious tip off mission sent you. I also was working on a mysterious tip off search that led me to a rather sizable installation that I have yet to successfully complete. I believe mine is in HIP 1472 (1742?).

Hi Midian Cabal,

Fly Dangerously.
/Ra

Ra,
Have you considered being more Sneeky? As in using a Stealth Build with molto heatsinks? A corvette seems like overkill on an installation. I would use a Sneeky DBX or FGS and just do it by air. If you would like, I could try it out for you. Lemme Noe.

:)

Hi Midian Cabal,

Fly Dangerously.
/Ra

You can do the scan with the data link scanner (?) of your ship. Simply boost towards the core data terminal and get really, really close too it. This makes it appear under the contacts panel and therefore selectable. Select it and finish the scan. In order to avoid fines and agressions you need to be very quick! Did a lot of these successfull with my DBX, without SRV onboard. Collected 7 or 8 different messages by now and got a lot of duplicates. In fact I had even more messages, but those got wiped back in january.

However, here is the link to the messages for those of you who are interested:
(sick of trying howto correctly embed an Imgur album, so here is just the link)

Imgur album - Tip Off messages

Last edited:
You can do the scan with the data link scanner (?) of your ship. Simply boost towards the core data terminal and get really, really close too it. This makes it appear under the contacts panel and therefore selectable. Select it and finish the scan. In order to avoid fines you need to be quick, but even if you gain a fine there is no problem. Did a lot of these with my DBX, without SRV onboard. Collected 7 or 8 different messages by now and got a lot of duplicates. In fact I had even more messages, but those got wiped back in january.

Wow, never thought to try it that way. Interesting how this holistically came back around to a DBX. Perhaps the stolen DBX is intended to serve a similar purpose...

Hi Midian Cabal,

Fly Dangerously.
/Ra

Well, not sure it was a large Military installation, definitely a 3+ though. After experiencing a CTD having just killed 4 Goliath's with my srv, I decided to brute force my way to the data terminal in the srv using only speed, and finally succeeded in doing the scan. The DBX way sounds more expedient.

Wow, never thought to try it that way. Interesting how this holistically came back around to a DBX. Perhaps the stolen DBX is intended to serve a similar purpose...

Well, not sure it was a large Military installation, definitely a 3+ though. After experiencing a CTD having just killed 4 Goliath's with my srv, I decided to brute force my way to the data terminal in the srv using only speed, and finally succeeded in doing the scan. The DBX way sounds more expedient.
The brute force way is how I did these at first, too. You need no drive and fly very fast and precise for this, especially if you get a warning already 3-5km away from the settlement :D - found it too thrilling for me. Then I discovered the possibility to scan the core data with my ship.
The DBX is just the quickest way to do the scan, due to the jump range and agility. But I have done the scans also with my Cobra, Python, Krait Phantom and FDL.

Last edited:
Hi Midian Cabal,

Fly Dangerously.
/Ra
Hey Ra,

unfortunately I didn't. I did get a few follow-up missions for planetary jobs, but no tip off missions. I did them and the game didn't crash. It seems like they fixed it, although it wasn't in the patch notes, but I don't see anyone complaining about it any more. EdPathFinder was somewhat helpful to me, because it has maps of bases. Here's a website with settlements. I scouted and planned my route first, and only when I was ready I ran in while scanning, shooting and repairing my hull.

I’m assuming that before one can find Raxxla (or even know for certain what it is) one must find The Dark a Wheel station, and access their “knowledge” whatever that is... so in my DW endeavors, I got the same nano-med tip off mission after getting fully allied w The Dark Wheel in LFT 926 - same base if I recall correctly HIP 1742 Ruthfoss Depot it was a pain to complete took about an hour before I decided to take time to actually map it out and mark where the uplinks were, then once I did that I was able to figure out best possible route to unlock the barrier thing and scan the main datapoint. It was challenging but fun. Nothing special afterwards though, no invitation to Raxxla or their secret station etc. still been running missions for them and had a few other tip off missions this past couple weeks but mostly salvage recovery, black box, etc. earlier when ranking up it was mostly combat type missions against Los Chupacabras or Nunets Blue Crew (lots of those) and some courier missions. I haven’t run any passenger missions yet. Seems Dark Wheel is tight w Fong Wang factions, often helping them too. Now I sometimes hang outside station and scan wakes until I get a Dark wheel ship. I scan and follow them, usually they’re going to ShinDez or another local very close system and usually after 2-3 systems of following the ship they just disappear. Once I followed a ship through 4 systems before I lost it but that was the longest one so far. I find after about 15-30 minutes of wake scanning outside station, I’ll occasionally get a tip off mission from Dark Wheel although not sure if it’s because I’m lurkijg outside Meridith or just coincidence.

You can do the scan with the data link scanner (?) of your ship. Simply boost towards the core data terminal and get really, really close too it. This makes it appear under the contacts panel and therefore selectable. Select it and finish the scan. In order to avoid fines you need to be quick, but even if you gain a fine there is no problem. Did a lot of these with my DBX, without SRV onboard. Collected 7 or 8 different messages by now and got a lot of duplicates. In fact I had even more messages, but those got wiped back in january.

Hi Ironshirt,

I tried scanning the data-point last night with my ship, but the Core data-point was displaying as 'inactive' when I locked it up (ship nose almost touching it) and scanned it through to completion. I then checked all the other data points on the base and they were likewise 'inactive', and tried to scan these also to no avail. I had a friend flying cover and drawing their fire at the time so I wouldn't be targeted so I could scout it out.

I tired again without his cover, and running a 2-10% heat spamming heatsinks (which didn't seem to do anything in preventing the system defences from spotting and locking me up), and after about a minute I was fined, bounty, wanted, and killed by the system defences. Seemingly because all the points were inactive again, otherwise I think I'd be able to scan and get out in time.

Has anyone else seen the data-points inactive? I must be missing something, but not sure what!

@ Eclip5e - I don't recall this being a nano-med tip off, I haven't done many of these so might have missed that part about it? Here is the tip-off mission message in-case it's different for any reason from others you've all noticed before. It looks pretty 'generic' so I'm not expecting anything to come of it, but we have to try!

/ Ra

p.s. Macro, you're right it's a medium installation level 3.

Last edited:
Hi Ironshirt,

I tried scanning the data-point last night with my ship, but the Core data-point was displaying as 'inactive' when I locked it up (ship nose almost touching it) and scanned it through to completion. I then checked all the other data points on the base and they were likewise 'inactive', and tried to scan these also to no avail. I had a friend flying cover and drawing their fire at the time so I wouldn't be targeted so I could scout it out.

I tired again without his cover, and running a 2-10% heat spamming heatsinks (which didn't seem to do anything in preventing the system defences from spotting and locking me up), and after about a minute I was fined, bounty, wanted, and killed by the system defences. Seemingly because all the points were inactive again, otherwise I think I'd be able to scan and get out in time.

Has anyone else seen the data-points inactive? I must be missing something, but not sure what!

@ Eclip5e - I don't recall this being a nano-med tip off, I haven't done many of these so might have missed that part about it? Here is the tip-off mission message in-case it's different for any reason from others you've all noticed before. It looks pretty 'generic' so I'm not expecting anything to come of it, but we have to try!

View attachment 132293

/ Ra

p.s. Macro, you're right it's a medium installation level 3.

Hi RaNaketh!
I feel very sorry and guilty for the loss of your ship! Should have made things more more clear.
After visiting Rothfuss Vista again, I have to admit that this is one of the tougher settlements IF you gain fines to the point that the turrets start firing.
Edited the original post to avoid that somebody else relies on this rather bad advice .

However, if you are quick, it IS possible to scan the core data terminal.
And you really need to scan ONLY the core data terminal (the one with the green light cone), not the other data points!
Boost through the restricted zone towards the terminal, scan it with your data-link-scanner(!) and boost your way out. This is how I usually do it.
I am not sure if the core data terminal is always marked as 'inactive' - the scan should work in any case, just the outcome would be different (core data package with message vs core data package without message). If you were not able to scan it (e.g no 'progress bar' during the scan) then there must be something wrong with your data-link-scanner. Please make sure you have it in a fire group!
For the case you were able to successfully scan it, but got no scanned message. only the core data package, please check if your Tip Off already expired!

Again, sorry for you loss - if you are on PC I hereby offer you compensation in form of a cargo of your choice. Contact me via PM if you are interested!

O7 and fly safe commander!

Last edited:
Hi RaNaketh!
I feel very sorry and guilty for the loss of your ship! Should have made things more more clear.
After visiting Rothfuss Vista again, I have to admit that this is one of the tougher settlements IF you gain fines to the point that the turrets start firing.
Edited the original post to avoid that somebody else relies on this rather bad advice .

And you really need to scan ONLY the core data terminal (the one with the green light cone), not the other data points!
Boost through the restricted zone towards the terminal, scan it with your data-link-scanner(!) and boost your way out. This is how I usually do it.
I am not sure if the core data terminal is always marked as 'inactive' - the scan should work in any case, just the outcome would be different (core data package with message vs core data package without message). If you were not able to scan it (e.g no 'progress bar' during the scan) then there must be something wrong with your data-link-scanner. Please make sure you have it in a fire group!
For the case you were able to successfully scan it, but got no scanned message. only the core data package, please check if your Tip Off already expired!

Again, sorry for you loss - if you are on PC I hereby offer you compensation in form of a cargo of your choice. Contact me via PM if you are interested!

Nice to see Honour among Questors being exhibited once again!

Hi RaNaketh!

Hi Ironshirt,

I applaud you're concern, but in my case you need not worry at all.

I have more than enough assets and spare cash to handle any re-buy. And for my testing I just bought a DBS for a quick and nimble little ship with a measly 300k rebuy. I left my 42M rebuy Federal Corvette back in Shinrarta. So relax!

I have 28 days left on the tip off, and the progress bar did move on the core, and when I scanned all of the others that were inactive. I'm going to head back out there shortly to have a few more attempts as I'm not one to give up lightly. I've also done all my homework on maps/scans/paths/ and some youtube to see ways to improve all of it.

Keep flying Dangerously, and lets hope each day we get a little closer to solving The Dark Wheel / Raaxla's puzzles.
/ Ra

Do you think FD have designed this game in such a way that a faction will allow discovery of the Dark Wheel? I'm highly doubtful. I suspect that what they have provided in the news articles, and Codex are probably all the clues that will be provided. I'm allied with the Dark Wheel faction, but I highly doubt that this will do me any favours when looking for the station, or finding Raxxla. I could, of course, be wrong...
Unfortunately none of us really know, we can only make assumptions based upon clues Fdev have placed in game (such as codex, etc). Until someone actually finds DW station or Raxxla itself, all we can really do as commanders is communicate with one another here in the forums about all the different things we’ve tried and what we’ve learned along the way. The more info we share w each other about what we’re all doing and trying, the better prepared we are to “solve” the mysteries at hand - if they’re even solvable in game. For all we know they could be in permit locked systems, or mechanics not even existing in game yet, we just don’t know - but until then all we can do is try or not try.

Do you think FD have designed this game in such a way that a faction will allow discovery of the Dark Wheel? I'm highly doubtful. I suspect that what they have provided in the news articles, and Codex are probably all the clues that will be provided. I'm allied with the Dark Wheel faction, but I highly doubt that this will do me any favours when looking for the station, or finding Raxxla. I could, of course, be wrong...

I suspect if you find their dark station and you’re not allied with them (& perhaps also Elite) you’ll get a very unfriendly welcome.
But I also suspect if you can dock with it you might find some mission that helps to get to Raxxla,

The other question is if the Shin Dez bunch are impostors or not. I read the Flis Farserr's comment in the DW codex to mean ' hey we scrapped those missions and explain it as "they were a fake" ' and that the faction in Shin Dez is just a shell now. Others read it the other way around that since they still exist as a faction that they must be real. I guess my view is based on FDEV needing to explain why the juicy missions just ran dry...

It seems reasonable to assume that they (the real DW) might be providers of extra clues in their 'evidence they are the real deal', and this means the 'find Raxxla' game arc has a longer life as you need to solve both puzzles in series.

The Codex also hints rather heavily that they will approach you, so I expect Jorki is right that the 'I just dropped by to see your archive' response will be:

%2527Trespassers+Will+Be+Shot%2527+Textual+Art+on+Metal.jpg

Top Bottom