Scytale

Banned
I was under the impression they were replaced by a different set of missions offered by the Dark Wheel... the wording was less intriguing but they are unique to the dark wheel. I haven't checked for them recently, but definitely remember them.
It would be great if you could find a reference to this different set of TDW missions. Not playing for months, but I spent like a year doing missions for TDW exclusively and never saw any out of common after E/F missions disappeared...

It would be great if you could find a reference to this different set of TDW missions. Not playing for months, but I spent like a year doing missions for TDW exclusively and never saw any out of common after E/F missions disappeared...
Here we go (Not my screenshot):

Screenshot_0748_zpsmdwvpthy.png

They seem functionally identical to cargo transport missions, and the cargo itself was never particularly interesting.

Scytale

Banned
Ok, thx. But do you see anything particular there ? I mean that could be related to the Quest ?
The dark wheel at the shinerza dezhra system could be fake..
I keep tninking that TDW is (was ?) the "some of it a tiny little bit obvious so people know what they are doing" - thing. What else could be ?
But anyway.. since MB left (was put aside?) anything can turn out to be... anything. Now, who knows what he is doing ? Mmmh ?
Consistency left too.

Last edited:
Ok, thx. But do you see anything particular there ? I mean that could be related to the Quest ?
Nup. I believe there's courier, cargo and assassination variants at minimum... but no verbose wording or anything like those older missions.

I keep tninking that TDW is (was ?) the "some of it a tiny little bit obvious" - thing. What else could be ?
But anyway.. since MB left (was put aside?) anything can turn out to be... anything.
Consistency left too.
Well people keep thiking that the old missions might have something to do with raxxla but i was speculating that they might not considering they are no longer being handed out

Scytale

Banned
Well people keep thiking that the old missions might have something to do with raxxla but i was speculating that they might not considering they are no longer being handed out
Sure thing, the E/F missions were related to a certain celestial body, you know the one I mean. Place that isn't a place, door that is also the key. The Myth.
So, Raxxla ? Cirag ? Soontill (the real one)?

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I don't understand all the Elite bashing. Whilst I appreciate the game might not be everybody's cup of tea, for those it does appeal too, I think FD have done/are doing a damb fine job! I personally think Elite is seriously under rated.

Yes, I would love a few more mysteries/stories, but I'm not convinced there are not more of these that we have been to lazy to uncover. Random example, but the Thetis...how many of us read the data at the Thetis, and then plotted a course 15lys back towards Sol, and had a really good search for the planet sending out the kill signal? There are at least dozens of other examples I could cite aa well.

Maybe FD have been focusing on in-game mechanics before storytelling, to make the mysteries more compelling when we play them. I am personally hoping that Gan Romero is the start of this, now we have FSS, etc (which personally I don't mind now I'm used to it). It would make sense for FD to start doing this now, to keep people's interest, whilst many wait for 2020.

I just wanted to say I don't understand all the Elite bashing. Whilst I appreciate the game might not be everybody's cup of tea, for those it does appeal too, I think FD have done/are doing a damb fine job! I personally think Elite is seriously under rated.

Yes, I would love a few more mysteries/stories, but I'm not convinced there are not more of these that we have been to lazy to uncover. Random example, but the Thetis...how many of us read the data at the Thetis, and then plotted a course 15lys back towards Sol, and had a really good search for the planet sending out the kill signal? There are at least dozens of other examples I could cite aa well.

Maybe FD have been focusing on in-game mechanics before storytelling, to make the mysteries more compelling when we play them. I am personally hoping that Gan Romero is the start of this, now we have FSS, etc (which personally I don't mind now I'm used to it). It would make sense for FD to start doing this now, to keep people's interest, whilst many wait for 2020.
Or, of course, there could be somebody sat in FD saying "Right! No more mysteries if they cant even solve Raxxla! I mean, come on....Princess Astrophel, spiralling stars, we even gave them the jewl on the brow of the mother of galaxies! What do they want? A system name and coordinates????" :)

With no disrespect to those who dislike the FSS/DSS combo, I suspect the introduction of this mechanism was to enable players to 'find' things - something the ADS was seriously lacking in (unless the player was prepared to spend an indefinite amount of searching time for something that may not even exist... Hmm a bit like Raxxla :D ), so being 'given' a 'discovery' mechanism to unearth things that had been in the game for years yet unfound seems a reasonable step.

I've been quietly following this thread, and its spin-offs, for a while and enjoying the content. I just wish to point out (which must have been noticed) that the FSS/DSS & Codex were introduced together - is there a link?

@Scytale - shame you are not playing, your input here has been very thought provoking!
@DrewCarnegie - apart from loving the penguin - good input from you too, despite you loathing the new system :)

Scytale

Banned
Yeah.. It's me. I just can't stomach that dull, 90's-ish chore FSS-minigame.
If you want players to find "things"... just put them in the game, and in a sensible and consistent way. They'll find them. They already proved it.
But for that, you need to have a real story teller. No need of technically ultra-competent computer engineers with a serious lack of creative fantasy ( who, btw, were told to insert some well known derelict on a travel line and it ended lying dozens of Ly away, with no ELW that was supposed (the story line) to be there...) 😝

Last edited:
With no disrespect to those who dislike the FSS/DSS combo, I suspect the introduction of this mechanism was to enable players to 'find' things - something the ADS was seriously lacking in (unless the player was prepared to spend an indefinite amount of searching time for something that may not even exist... Hmm a bit like Raxxla :D ), so being 'given' a 'discovery' mechanism to unearth things that had been in the game for years yet unfound seems a reasonable step.

I've been quietly following this thread, and its spin-offs, for a while and enjoying the content. I just wish to point out (which must have been noticed) that the FSS/DSS & Codex were introduced together - is there a link?

@Scytale - shame you are not playing, your input here has been very thought provoking!
@DrewCarnegie - apart from loving the penguin - good input from you too, despite you loathing the new system :)

Ah yes, but remember that quite a few participants in this thread are old FRifters, who suffered the pain and tedium of eyeball-searching loads of planets in the hope of finding something. So yes, the fss/dss is FD’s response to the complaints we made and suggestions for better exploration search tools-I compiled a list of those from the four FRift threads into its own thread and submitted them to FD (sadly lost in the forum shakeup, at least I can’t find it anymore) . Some of them were very good ideas, and I don’t think many people would complain about the dss, but the current implementation of the fss is not yet up to quality; it needs a good engineer to polish/upgrade it!!

From the discussion above I’m wondering if the SD Raxxla-related E/F missions were overtaken by the improved missions mechanism and we should be concentrating on analysing TipOff missions from TDW at SD? Has anyone done so? (I’m aware of Macros’ et al current investigation).

@ Tacticus- the Codex tells us, from Felicity Farseer’s words, that TDW at SD is real, because they’ve been in business for a long time but haven’t been closed down as she says imposters always are. Also some spiky-haired female ( who was she?) in Elite Premonition said that The Real DW (TRDW) is a conglomerate of like-minded organisations, with “wheels within wheels”, and TDW at SD is just “spinning on the outer rim”, which is clearly an FD reference to the wording of those E/F missions that Scytale misses so much (Macros et al undertook them all but apparently they didn’t lead anywhere, unless he’s joined TRDW and found Raxxla but is sworn to secrecy! 😉)

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that when you fly out near the Horsehead Nebula and/or Col 70, the hyperspace tunnel starts spiraling rapidly around you? Spiraling stars?
YES VERY MUCH SO! I just spent 3 days out past rigel, in the Orion nebula and then Barnard's loop area and then 900lyto the left(if facing the Sanguineous Rim border) I noticed it because I thought it was some kind of lag at first.

I noticed the whole border of the Sanguineous Rim in that area is blocked off by permit zones, either cool 70 sectors or horsehead darks. Is really irritated as it kept me from completing my tour of the Orion constellation. But those spinning fs jumps stopped before I got back to rigel on my way back to the bubble

That i noticed and followed it tru...
im at the Col 70 atm, been going along the permit locked areas and checking the immediate systems and have found cool stuff, and interesting things, but since u cant go into those areas... Cant follow up on what ive seen or suspect, wich is a shame, the game sudendly becomes interesting but i cant continue... :(

Other stuff is that on that region there is parts u hear strange noises too when u hyperspace that beats me what it means, but i would speculate it means something...

Ive done so far... 700+ jumps in this region alone!
So u can guess the amount of data i got from this small area of space alone to turn in already...

Will continue to go along the side of the permit locked areas scanning and mapping, till i decide to lose the economic route planning and go straight and fast to the nearest station.

Top Bottom