Probably the conda. Jump range on the other 2 pale in comparison. Im using my DBX for this reason.

I’ve tried a dbx a couple of times & not really very enthused; sounds a bit too much like the bicycle I had when a kid, with rolled up cigarette packet in the spokes 😁, and not enough module slots. Phantom is nice but I’d like an extra couple of slots & maybe 70ly range. Jorki has an annie, but haven’t flown it for a while. I need to get back to Shinrarta & upgrade it before moving it out to Colonia. That might be next week’s job.

I think if “it” is really there then to trigger it you’ll need to visit Zeta Cass and NGC 7822 (probably S171 37, I was surprised (& suspicious) to find a tourist beacon there!) first, and possibly find TDW station too, which I reason is in the vicinity of either Zeta Cass or NGC 7822. I suspect the CTD was triggered by something/some sequence which I couldn’t repeat. Frustrating!

Edit: doubly frustrating since Scytale promised me a bottle of brandy if I found Raxxla! 🤪

If you're the one to find Raxxla I promise you either a bottle of Islay Malt or Highland Pure Malt. No Irish or Bourbon though.

Seasoned explorer Ol' Pa still wondering what ship to use for explo ???
Beam and PA for.. what ? To make the Distant Gankers die from laugh or to shoot at Cone- like Thargs and end at a detention facility thousands of Ly away ? 😝

Reassurance!
I still remember Michael Brookes saying explorers should go armed.....
But I don’t think any ship is ideal. I liked my Phantom during DW2, but would like a little more range and a second AFMU.

If you're the one to find Raxxla I promise you either a bottle of Islay Malt or Highland Pure Malt. No Irish or Bourbon though.

Ah, a man after my own heart (soul? 😁)
Quite like Islay, especially Laphraig Quarter Cask, also very fond of The Ardmore.
Not a fan of Irish or Bourbon, though Bourbon tastes much better in USA than it does in UK. My son is into Japanese whisky; each to his own, I guess he inherited my good looks 😚

Last edited:

Scytale

Banned
Yeah... I remember MB saying that. Years ago. Since, generations of new players sacrificed jump range for.. nothing.
No half-measures work, imho. Either an overpowered Vette/Cutter or a stripped-out Conda.
Anything in-between is just nonsense. Imho.
(Not talking about fuel slug Rails which are then more a device for helping in hardcore explo than a weapon)

Last edited:
Yeah... I remember MB saying that. Years ago. Since, generations of new players sacrificed jump range for.. nothing.
No half-measures work, imho. Either an overpowered Vette/Cutter or a stripped-out Conda.
(Not talking about fuel slug Rails which are then more a device for helping in hardcore explo than a weapon)

I liked the Cutter for trading & shipped it out to Colonia. Didn’t like the Corvette- nice handling but very poor jump range. The Phantom is nice, manoeuvrable and nippy, just needed a couple more slots. The weapons actually only took about 0.6ly off the range, so left them on for DW2- had been using it for mission running beforehand. But it’s nice to have a beam for energising any guardian constructs that might be found, and a PA with plasma slug effect is useful for using fuel to decrease load to increase jump range if necessary.

Annie was really good for slots & range, but it’s a bit on the large side & not sufficiently manoeuvrable or speedy; worst of all is the cockpit (lack of) visibility. I’ve always thought it needed to make use of that currently pointless chin window- get a camera suite &/or observer in there.

Edit: that said & all in all I think the Phantom is currently the best balanced ship for exploration. Maybe need to have another look at it; might need to reengineer it since we got the extra slot.

Last edited:

Scytale

Banned
Yeah.. But again, Pa, efficiency doesn't accept half-measures.
Playing around with the pals of a re-edited expedition for fun is one thing.
Another thing is to get the work done asap.
Explo: Conda/AspX. Just like it has always been.
Imho.
And believe me, a tanky Cutter with 3 Pacifiers and 4 Frags get you out of any trouble.

Last edited:
Yeah.. But again, Pa, efficiency doesn't accept half-measures.
Playing around with the pals of a re-edited expedition for fun is one thing.
Another thing is to get the work done asap.
Explo: Conda/AspX. Just like it has always been.
Imho.
And believe me, a tanky Cutter with 3 Pacifiers and 4 Frags get you out of any trouble.

I prefer the Phantom to the AspX once the credit balance is reached. Visibility is almost as good, but more speed and, I think, manoeuvrability, and longer jump range.
But I’mnot into combat. Will give you the vette or the cutter for that. I remember running endless trade missions (to get Jorki’s second elite) in the cutter; any npc interdiction just turn 180, put her into reverse and pound em with those hardpoints!

just imagine discovering the guardian beacon and not having any laser weapons ,would have been kind of useless wouldn't it have? I feel this could be a good reason he said that

Scytale

Banned
just imagine discovering the guardian beacon and not having any laser weapons ,would have been kind of useless wouldn't it have? I feel this could be a good reason he said that
Right ! Am I dumb ? Never forget the "ED Translator for Communication With Alien Life" !
Gunship diplomacy got us where we are. (Just like IRL..)
But good point ! MB may very well have said that for this reason! The thing is most (all ?) of the players interpreted his words into another meaning.
I prefer the Phantom to the AspX once the credit balance is reached. Visibility is almost as good, but more speed and, I think, manoeuvrability, and longer jump range.
Wait ! Full stripped and engineered both, the Phantom beats the AspX in jump range ?
Such a long time I haven't played...

Last edited:
Except that, at the point he said that, Guardian Beacons were not in the game.
They weren't implemented, but they could have been planned and possibly coded. He also could have meant because of thargoids, however I feel like the normal weapons you would have had on your ship while exploring would have been meaningless anyways so I really don't know.

They weren't implemented, but they could have been planned and possibly coded. He also could have meant because of thargoids, however I feel like the normal weapons you would have had on your ship while exploring would have been meaningless anyways so I really don't know.

It was just one of the many hype trains we've seen over the years. Exciting, dangerous and entirely optional content incoming!

This is what happens when you spend too much time in the core...

Right ! Am I dumb ? Never forget the "ED Translator for Communication With Alien Life" !
Gunship diplomacy got us where we are. (Just like IRL..)
But good point ! MB may very well have said that for this reason! The thing is most (all ?) of the players interpreted his words into another meaning.

Wait ! Full stripped and engineered both, the Phantom beats the AspX in jump range ?
Such a long time I haven't played...
Mmm, you may be right. Looking at the Wiki max unengineered AspX is 38 vs 34 for Phantom

we might need to learn about what a tesseract actualy is, and what it does. that would be a good starting point and could give some clues.
i know that a tesseract is a 4 dimentional cube. and that's about it. lol
i will do some research as im clueless when it comes to this.

on a fun note : i saw some documentary long ago, about how a 4rth dimentional object would be the perfect place to hide things, as the 4rth dimention of the object is never seen from a simple first glance and observation. a change in point of view or perception has to happen in order for the 4rth dimention to be visible. just like from the animated tesseract gif above.

So I think the whole point of the 4 dimensional thing is that a 4 dimensional object appears to change its physical 3 dimensional form as we scrub through time. This implies to me that Raxxla physically changes with time - could be as simple a change as a displacement.

More simply put: Raxxla moves.

Q

So I think the whole point of the 4 dimensional thing is that a 4 dimensional object appears to change its physical 3 dimensional form as we scrub through time. This implies to me that Raxxla physically changes with time - could be as simple a change as a displacement.

More simply put: Raxxla moves.

Q

I'll just go ahead and preempt all the "of course it moves - orbital dynamics duh" replies.

Q

Top Bottom