So I think the whole point of the 4 dimensional thing is that a 4 dimensional object appears to change its physical 3 dimensional form as we scrub through time. This implies to me that Raxxla physically changes with time - could be as simple a change as a displacement.

More simply put: Raxxla moves.

Q
Movement through time does not (necessarily) a tesseract make. Important to remember that any representation of a tesseract that we can comprehend visually in 3 dimensional space is only an analog ... it isn't itself a tesseract. When we talk about 3 dimensional space we typically fail to mention the dimension of time. A cube already exists in height, depth, width and time (four dimensions if you want to get technical). A tesseract is a cube that exist in heigh, width, depth, time ... and some other dimension that we poor humans can't perceive. A better example would be flatland. Its not that Raxxla is necessarily moving but more like it is sitting right next to us but existing in space that we simply can't comprehend.

In the same way a circle is a projection of a sphere from 3d to 2d, so a tesseract is the 3d projection of a 4d cube - a cube being the definition of a connected space where all points connected are at 'right angle' to each other and 'sides' of equal length. The animation often presented is of a 4d cube stereographically projected onto 3d space, whilst being rotated in one of the visible dimensions (i.e. it only appears to change because its being rotated). Its also capable of translation like any other object, but it's shape would only change in the 3d projection if it was rotated or if it was translated in the invisible direction, thus changing the projection.

Movement through time does not (necessarily) a tesseract make. Important to remember that any representation of a tesseract that we can comprehend visually in 3 dimensional space is only an analog ... it isn't itself a tesseract. When we talk about 3 dimensional space we typically fail to mention the dimension of time. A cube already exists in height, depth, width and time (four dimensions if you want to get technical). A tesseract is a cube that exist in heigh, width, depth, time ... and some other dimension that we poor humans can't perceive. A better example would be flatland. Its not that Raxxla is necessarily moving but more like it is sitting right next to us but existing in space that we simply can't comprehend.
that's exactly how i think about it. the way we can currenctly see tesseracts and draw them is by looking at their projected shadow onto a 2D surface. wich results in the known tesseract images. (the shadow is not the actual object giving off the shadow, but it gives us a bit of a clue on what that object is) how could this apply to Raxxla? if we suppose this theory of tesseract is true and leading us somewhere, then Raxxla would be a 4 Dimensional Object OR hidden in a fourth Dimension, wich we cant directly see. but we can see it's projected shadow somewhere, or it's indirect effects on something else. just like with tesseracts.

Hmm... witch space or HyperSpace has always been suspisious to me, when thinking about raxxla. "the place that isn't a place". witch space is not really a place. it's the same normal space. but because it's scrolling around us at immense speeds, it becomes like a space of it's own. but not really. only apparently. it acts as a ...4rth dimension. Only seen if we are speeding at the speed of light. in other words, you cant stop moving, and still be in hyperspace. as soon as you stop, you are in normal space again. therefore hyperspace is not a place.... no idea if this leads anywhere though.
witch space is kind of impossible to interact with at the moment in elite. or... is it? :unsure:

edit 1:
from WitchSpace Lore:
"Even today, hyperspace remains poorly understood. Many pilots have reported glimpsing inexplicable lights, and even structures, within the witch-space tunnels. It may be centuries before all of its mysteries are unravelled."
we haven't been looking into witch space in much detail have we? i might be repeating a pre-existing theory here but:
one way i can see how FD would implement raxxla in hyperspace is by Hyperdiction. because that system already exists with Thargoids. it's a good surprise mechanic, catchy and rewarding. it would be much better than just raxxla be found in some random system just like that. quite anticlimactic. if Raxxla is this important, then they would want it to be found with a BANG.
maybe if you do the right actions or have the right permits or have the right items in cargo, or jump from the right system, something hyperdicts you somewhere related with raxxla?

Last edited:
that's exactly how i think about it. the way we can currenctly see tesseracts and draw them is by looking at their projected shadow onto a 2D surface. wich gives us the known tesseract images. (the shadow is not the actual object giving off that shadow, but it gives us a bit of a clue of what that object is) how could this apply to Raxxla? if we suppose that this theory of tesseract is true and leading us somewhere, then Raxxla would be a 4 Dimensional Object OR hidden in a fourth Dimension, wich we cant directly see. but we can see it's projected shadow somewhere, or it's indirect effects on something else. just like we do with tesseracts.

Hmm. witch space or HyperSpace has always been suspisious to me, when thinking about raxxla. "the place that isn't a place". witch space isn't really a place. it's just the same space when were not in hyperspace. but because it's scrolling around us at immense speeds, it becomes like a space of it's own. but not really. only apparently. it acts as a ...4rth dimension. Only seen if we are speeding at the speed of light... no idea if this leads anywhere though. witch space is kind of impossible to interact with at the moment in elite. or... is it? :unsure:

edit 1:
from WitchSpace Lore:

we haven't been looking into witch space too much have we?
one way i can see how FD would implement raxxla in hyperspace is by Hyperdiction. because that system already exists with Thargoids. it's a good surprise mechanic, catchy and rewarding. it would be much better than just raxxla be found in some random system just like that. quite anticlimactic. if Raxxla is this important, then they would want it to be found with a BANG.
maybe if you do the right actions or have the right items in cargo, or jump from the right system, something hyperdicts you into somewhere related with raxxla?
There's actually been quite a bit of witchspace investigation, especially right after the most recent patch on may 14. (There was a short lived bug where you could see planets in witchspace.) Many others here were linking the spinning effect in witchspace to "spiralling stars" around the same time. Tons of others on here have done an insane amount of things to force misjumps, usually informed by the Starship One jump anomaly. Im sorry, dont feel like linking all the posts here, but i bet a quick hit on that search bar up top will show you past hyperspace experiments.

Edit: nice ludens picture, can't wait to play DS

wich we cant directly see. but we can see it's projected shadow somewhere, or it's indirect effects on something else.
This by itself sounds like a black hole. That's my opinion, from the lesser educated making this the ' what seems obvious to a layman' perspective.

Not necessarily suggesting that that's the answer. Just if they think that they made it obvious maybe we shouldn't overthink it too harshly. Using advanced mathematics and like light Shadow measuring tools aren't the type of thing that people find an obvious answer with. Just speculating, as I stated before you guys are a lot more experienced in this field. I'm just throwing my two cents in

In the same way a circle is a projection of a sphere from 3d to 2d, so a tesseract is the 3d projection of a 4d cube - a cube being the definition of a connected space where all points connected are at 'right angle' to each other and 'sides' of equal length. The animation often presented is of a 4d cube stereographically projected onto 3d space, whilst being rotated in one of the visible dimensions (i.e. it only appears to change because its being rotated). Its also capable of translation like any other object, but it's shape would only change in the 3d projection if it was rotated or if it was translated in the invisible direction, thus changing the projection.
I believe that strictly speaking, Tesseract's a name for the 4 dimensional equivalent of a 3 dimensional Cube, rather than being a name specific to the projection.

For a shape with edges of equal length, and angles between edges of 90 degrees:

2D - Square
3D - Cube
4D - Tesseract, 4-Cube or 4D Hypercube (plus some less common names)
5D - Penteract, 5-Cube or 5D Hypercube (plus some less common names).
Etc.

Last edited:
This by itself sounds like a black hole. That's my opinion, from the lesser educated making this the ' what seems obvious to a layman' perspective.

Not necessarily suggesting that that's the answer. Just if they think that they made it obvious maybe we shouldn't overthink it too harshly. Using advanced mathematics and like light Shadow measuring tools aren't the type of thing that people find an obvious answer with. Just speculating, as I stated before you guys are a lot more experienced in this field. I'm just throwing my two cents in
ninja'd
I agree: when looking at the image of a rotating tesseract, the thing in ED that it most reminds me of is the gravitational lensing effect of a black hole.
I'm also not suggesting that a black hole is, or is the gateway to, Raxxla. It might be that Raxxla distorts the skybox in the same way, which could enable it to be seen regardless of whether it appears in a FSS scan, i.e. it might be a POI that only shows up within a certain range. (Made a little bit obvious by the lensing effect!)

Last edited:
There's actually been quite a bit of witchspace investigation, especially right after the most recent patch on may 14. (There was a short lived bug where you could see planets in witchspace.) Many others here were linking the spinning effect in witchspace to "spiralling stars" around the same time. Tons of others on here have done an insane amount of things to force misjumps, usually informed by the Starship One jump anomaly. Im sorry, dont feel like linking all the posts here, but i bet a quick hit on that search bar up top will show you past hyperspace experiments.

Edit: nice ludens picture, can't wait to play DS
Also, not trying to discourage or discredit the witchspace idea, just pointing out that there's certainly been a lot of effort there so that you can better inform your own investigation.

has anyone tried targeting a star system from a system that has a black hole and then kind of trying to jump through the black hole with the frame shift drive?

Edit:
I'm in a system with a few black holes now, I'll just try this out myself and hope for a bottle of Scotch😁

Last edited:
has anyone tried targeting a star system from a system that has a black hole and then kind of trying to jump through the black hole with the frame shift drive?
wow. now that's an idea. if it has'nt been tried before, it's worth a try. i doubt the system would be targetable like when behind planets. but a black hole is not a planet, so maybe...
yelboc said:
Didnt we have it from Fdev that misjumps are not in ED?
would'nt you say the same thing, if you hid something behind a door, and someone asked you, can that door be opened? also what defines what a missjump is. is it a missjump, if it actually works and leads somewhere? just thoughts.
AOpsyche said:
Also, not trying to discourage or discredit the witchspace idea, just pointing out that there's certainly been a lot of effort there so that you can better inform your own investigation.
no worries, i think that the hyperdiction system is way well made, for it to be only used in 1 case, with the thargoids. there must be other use cases.
also nice catch on the ludens pic. i cant wait to play either. big hideo kojima fan. :)

Last edited:

Edit:
I'm in a system with a few black holes now, I'll just try this out myself and hope for a bottle of Scotch😁
I’ve tried to jump through a bunch of black holes. Many different directions and alignments.
Tried it with most alien objects onboard, as well. Nothing has special has ever happened.

I which there was some way to mess with hyper jumps, but I doubt there is.

OMG idk why but I have ridiculous primal fear/ anxiety so close to a black hole. My kid keeps making fun of me lol
zrmFblr.png

Edit:

The Scotch was promised to Jorki only. Everybody else will get a bottle of German „Korn“.

So I‘m trying to reproduce the effect azoreanoutkast reported with that crash site. Unfortunately it doesn't show on DSS so I have to land at the coordinates which I am as proficient in as my Klaxxian is fluent.

I’ve tried to jump through a bunch of black holes. Many different directions and alignments.
Tried it with most alien objects onboard, as well. Nothing has special has ever happened.

I which there was some way to mess with hyper jumps, but I doubt there is.
Well if we find one, I've got a hyperspace route that goes through Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 waiting to go.

And there'll be ones for Polaris and lots of other places as well.

Which leads me to strongly suspect that we're not going to get misjumps anytime soon, if at all. :D

Top Bottom