Mmmh... TDW have spiked hair, iirc. The Chim Hun Sq gear is said to mitigate the effects of space madness, up to a point... (already posted some of my foolish errands.). For battered vet Rifters, mainly.
"A test of courage and skill."
Not much of these are needed for Exploration or Trade/Transport... Contrariwise to combat based activities. (Or very high G landings? Unique/rare systems very difficult to reach? Delicate smuggling/transporting missions?)
But it's true it could lead to search for missions and tip offs demanding specially these qualities. The test will be "discreetly administered", they say. So, we shouldn't discard anything demanding courage and skill. Also, discretion and disguise would imply that the test is administered by TDW people under cover. Allies ? Vassals ? Partners ? Assets?
But not SD TDW faction. Would be way too inconsistent, even in ED.
(Reminds me the first time I was received at Mariahcoch (E/F). The first welcoming speech was like "..we only work with la crème of our external partners.." But, these are happy past times..)
Currently, I think, Tharg related missions would be what demands most courage and skill. But do these missions/tip offs exist ?
Finishing a specific CG in the first place/ top ten ? Would that attract their attention ? Would be a good way of screening possible candidates to the final test.

Mmm, I’m not sure tharg-bashing would appeal to “adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters”.
Long-distance trips perhaps? Anyone done a couple of long-distance passenger missions for NTDW (especially if they were successor missions)?
Still feel I was on the right track with my interpretation of TDW toast....

Is there some kind of confirmation saying that Drew Wagar has anymore real information about the dark wheel than he has about raxxla. This is just my own thoughts on it though I don't really know what's going on.

Not sure. He has said categorically he knows nothing about Raxxla, that The Club was DB’s idea. I assume Club & TDW lore was written into the FD lore manual which I think all the writers had access to (which strengthens my belief that the storyline of Oresrians vs Klaxians & a human shield is valid) since it appears in a couple of books plus in-game logs by Salomé). He started a lore thread (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lore-questions.459433/post-7182920), I’ll have a look...
Edit: nothing in there, but he has brought his lore guides back online https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lore-guides.280826/post-4369535 edit2: nope, checked that url & it’s not there!
He started a lore primer thread for PS4: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lore-primer-for-ps4-players.355915/post-5579041
I guess from his phrasing in this post https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-5313370 that he doesn’t know much more than us about TDW
And there is Elite : Legacy by (the) Michael Brookes, now I vaguely have a thought of a suggestion, or perhaps a less solid inference, that Michael Brookes’ story was supposed to be a spiritual successor to The Dark Wheel original by Robert Holdstock (available free online). However for the life of me I can’t remember if this was ever confirmed, or even what the story is about. I really need to reread all these books! But it might be worth a comment from anyone who does remember this story.

I have had two successive nights with less than 5 hours sleep, and painful sinus headache, so must now have a post-lunch snooze!

Last edited:
Well, I suspect TDW station is in a system with twin stars, at least one gas giant; a GG will have 8 or more moons. The station will be orbiting the 8th moon and won’t be detectable by FSS; it might have to be detected visually once up very close (though night vision might just help). I suspect the twin stars will be hot blue, so type O, B or A, most likely B. It might be near NGC 7822, or near Zeta Cassiopeia. This is just hypothetical though, may be wrong, but all we can do is follow the few potential leads we have.

If you want to have a search then it would be helpful, Tyko’s a bit too far away to make going back very attractive. Think I’m going to Shinrarta to get an exploration ship but cant decide between Anaconda, Python or Phantom
Take a Beluga !

Take a Beluga !

Was playing around yesterday with Coriolis & checked beluga, orca & dolphin. Never flown either of them, but the stats didn’t impress me over much. The annie can get range with useful number of slots, but is just too cumbersome and slow, and useless visibility. Tyko’s already got a Python which I used as a mining ship to unlock an engineer. At present am re-engineering the python for cargo/passenger missions (yesterday did a 16 ly DW passenger mission in the hope that my recent Broken Heart trip might have unlocked a trigger for the test, after all that CTD must relate to something, but nope). I like the python, but I like the Phantom more. Got Tyko a new phantom & engineered up to 63ly with beam, MC and PA (just in case Scytale!😊). Think Jorki’s annie is going to go to Honest Bob’s Used Ship Emporium, unless I decide to totally strip it and go for range, but that's not the sort of exploration I do. Might look at a passenger build for it.

Last edited:
Was playing around yesterday with Coriolis & checked beluga, orca & dolphin. Never flown either of them, but the stats didn’t impress me over much. The annie can get range with useful number os slots, but is just too cumbersome and slow, and useless visibility. Tyko’s already lready got a Python which I used as a mining ship to unlock an engineer. At present am re-engineering the python for cargo/passenger missions (yesterday did a 16 ly DW passenger mission in the hope that my recent Broken Heart trip might have unlocked a trigger for the test, after all that CTD must relate to something, but nope). I like the python, but I like the Phantom more. Got Tyko a new phantom & engineered up to 63ly with beam, MC and PA (just in case Scytale! 😊). Think Jorki’s annie is going to go to Honest Bob’s Used Ship Emporium, unless I decide to totally strip it and go for range, but that's not the sort of exploration I do. Might look at a passenger build for it.
The beliga has a little less range than the anaconda but it handles so much better and has the best view in the game, but the krait phantom isnt bad either :)

Not sure. He has said categorically he knows nothing about Raxxla, that The Club was DB’s idea. I assume Club & TDW lore was written into the FD lore manual which I think all the writers had access to (which strengthens my belief that the storyline of Oresrians vs Klaxians & a human shield is valid) since it appears in a couple of books plus in-game logs by Salomé). He started a lore thread (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lore-questions.459433/post-7182920), I’ll have a look...
Edit: nothing in there, but he has brought his lore guides back online https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lore-guides.280826/post-4369535 edit2: nope, checked that url & it’s not there!
He started a lore primer thread for PS4: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lore-primer-for-ps4-players.355915/post-5579041
I guess from his phrasing in this post https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-5313370 that he doesn’t know much more than us about TDW
And there is Elite : Legacy by (the) Michael Brookes, now I vaguely have a thought of a suggestion, or perhaps a less solid inference, that Michael Brookes’ story was supposed to be a spiritual successor to The Dark Wheel original by Robert Holdstock (available free online). However for the life of me I can’t remember if this was ever confirmed, or even what the story is about. I really need to reread all these books! But it might be worth a comment from anyone who does remember this story.

I have had two successive nights with less than 5 hours sleep, and painful sinus headache, so must now have a post-lunch snooze!
Hey thank you there's a lot of exactly what I was looking for in your response

on a side note I've only been getting 4 hours of sleep for 25 years I think you should be okay 😏

Scytale

Banned
Was playing around yesterday with Coriolis ...snip...
I would tend to say: "As long as you equal Romero's ship jump range..." ;) He knows exactly where he is going and then what he needs !
What would be an engineered DBX max range ? More than an AspX !
(Has the DBX to be considered as the new Cobra in an evolved ED ? )

Last edited:
Mmm, I’m not sure tharg-bashing would appeal to “adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters”.
Long-distance trips perhaps? Anyone done a couple of long-distance passenger missions for NTDW (especially if they were successor missions)?
Still feel I was on the right track with my interpretation of TDW toast....

Raising this again. TRDW are reported to be explorers and adventurers, so it makes sense for their test to involve exploration/long distance trips. Anybody studied:
1) their long distance passenger missions?
2) only handing in exploration data to them (e.g. Neuman Camp in SD)? -perhaps there’s a threshold that has to be reached?
@Macros? Scytale?

I would tend to say: "As long as you equal Romero's ship jump range..." ;) He knows exactly where he is going and then what he needs !
What would be an engineered DBX max range ? More than an AspX !
(Has the DBX to be considered as the new Cobra in an evolved ED ? )
This is a useful site https://edastro.com/exploration/#ships
68ly for DBE but very slow scoop rate!
65 for AspX, 66 for Phantom (which has 9 slots).
70+ for annie. Here’s a build I’m pondering https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda?code=A0patiFklndnsxf57o0v0v2b----020208---03033i48mk-0s0s1O-v61J9q2i3x.Iw1/ADB6dUMkA===.EwBjOVNCwRjuECAsjlwMwk8Rcg==.H4sIAAAAAAAAA42RIUgDYRiGv+22udsmtzu32xQVdHO2oaBFxKgGw4KIRViyCQbDgqDBYNMsBoPBaDQYDEaD0TBkSQwLIsOg7vt8v8l+JtzAg3v5+d7nf///7iUeIKJ2FPJ9AknehokGD1NE7iZW3k2SqNgKEUmIlwx5AIlXvkScRpnIv46AfESQhNk30B7EKX6KZJqQ7IVDlFeysJsDafGIIWtdsnNcZj8Lsg5HIjyrkKX+agv++YuIRHnBbD2C2BqYmHGJJjRkUmVKpZRi4DGudnGn1kTIXUOkvPgBK84bJgkvxdbf8U2nr4Ce6iL56hsguwca7wcl/gMle6DtflCaS3+v+/CMqRs49XjFBJ5pe5cx+FqMq6v8vY32dCU+zwXszwVOh3nNpO6opf/KUz9z1UaTWs3vXUfZMv1UljHtVDsWOC3wVjfVS08TzR8PYSoU8PwAMfJc5JUCAAA=.EweloBhBmSQUwIYHMA28QgIwVyKBQA==&bn=Deep Impression mk2
- might be useful for TDW passenger missions. But I do like my Phantom:
https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/krait_phantom?code=A0patiFfliddssf57l0vw11g040302023c0s1Ov443020i9q2i.Iw1gMqcnelA=.IwBjIJlCIZh4iAsVbViIA===.H4sIAAAAAAAAA3WRPUsDQRCGJ5cPk9wll4t38bCIqGfsAoIWilhKGiGFiI2QysbGwiKFonYWAa3Fwp9gaZHCH2BhmSKEVGKRQiRYaJzx3cAtUZKDe1hmnp3dnSGeIqKfODC4BsymQZS5sIicfazyjyZR0I8QSYS3tHkOJKvfIna3TFR4iMF8QSExuKClE8AOvkTcHuDd20S+MhePZ2BGeVab9dAcHueeejDbyEiMV5QUVflKH/m7VxGJ84beegmkVMH02RzRvCqyoLCkULIYeoJroW7Xeyjy1BUpb34ileQ9XQk/JXY/8KabN0ittohfe4eUGpGKkyRzRDqcJFlc0dKtara6n6MQNNJ4boZX/970uYNdWS6Nidpjozku6oZVt9HGYa9d3tHnHgGGP0Bb1CzMdahOB/BaWUy6qYbo80Go53PLRGtX04gK/f9+ATyvdlo8AgAA.EweloBhBmUA4QFMCGBzANokIq50A&bn=Fathoms Deep

Though I suspect the Gan Romero story is unrelated to Raxxla or TDW, so not actively pursuing it at the moment.

Last edited:
I, for myself, spent months flying all types of missions and explo data exclusively for them. Nothing special...

Can you remember what sort of distance their passenger missions were that you did? It would be an obvious method for a group of explorers & adventurers to filter out people who were of similar mindset.
(Although having done ~70kly+ on DW2 Jorki’s not yet been approached , though to be fair he’s still carousing in Jacques’ bar & hasn’t been back to Shinrarta). Having done the Broken Heart trip Tyko’s not been approached either 🤨
( still think something’s broken there!)

Chapter 15 of ED Premonition:
“Ah, the Children of Raxxla.’ The spiky-haired woman began. ‘How sweet. I trust your trip was safe, Commanders?’
‘Safe as it can be in this day and age,’ replied Thorn.
The woman turned to him.
‘You understand who I represent, I assume, Commander Thorn?’
‘I’ve seen you run missions out of Shinrarta Dezhra,’ Thorn replied.
‘Shinrarta Dezhra?’ The woman laughed, her scorn plain to hear. ‘You think the Dark Wheel advertises on a station board in plain sight? That we need rookie pilots to drag a couple of tonnes of thrumpberry flavouring across to Hutton Orbital? A trivial ploy to keep the Founders off our backs.”

Excerpt From
Elite Dangerous: Premonition
Drew Wagar
This material may be protected by copyright.

I was of the opinion that the spiky-haired TDW woman was Elyssia Fields, however in hindsight wondering if it might be Alyssia Verdi, daughter of Luko who seems to have been a member of TDW. Can’t remember seeing a description of Alyssia.

Scytale

Banned
The 'good Luko'... Always where and when needed..
Keep this interesting thing about Alessia in mind ...
Scytale said:
Hi !
So kind to confirm if Alessia Verdi and Drew Wagar are the same person ? ;)

See you in the Deep Black !
No, they're not. I have occasionally 'flown' Alessia, but she's sorting a floating NPC for lore usage. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

But all this are happy past times imho. There is no longer a real story teller left in this arcade-ish ED...

About skill and courage, let's not forget the attacked stations rescue CG's and so. But is this still running ?

Last edited:
The 'good Luko'... Always where and when needed..
Keep this interesting thing about Alessia in mind ...
No, they're not. I have occasionally 'flown' Alessia, but she's sorting a floating NPC for lore usage. :)

Cheers,

Drew.

But all this are happy past times imho. There is no longer a real story teller left in this arcade-ish ED...

About skill and courage, let's not forget the attacked stations rescue CG's and so. But is this still running ?
Not sure with goid ‘withdrawal from bubble”; there were still a few damaged stations last time I looked. Tyko dida few passenger rescue missions, nothing came of it.

Raising this again. TRDW are reported to be explorers and adventurers, so it makes sense for their test to involve exploration/long distance trips. Anybody studied:
1) their long distance passenger missions?
2) only handing in exploration data to them (e.g. Neuman Camp in SD)? -perhaps there’s a threshold that has to be reached?
@Macros? Scytale?

I've been watching the passenger missions for a few days, and the furthest so far has been to Colonia.

Top Bottom