I mean mapping in particular. Like when we had no probes, just scanning them was basically capping it off for tagging, but with the probes it's kind of a refresher to it all.
In time though, even places as large as Orion will be fully mapped.

Scytale

Banned
Probes ? What "probes" ? Oh, yes, that PewpewThePlanet arcade... meh...
ZFHqfUU.jpg
UFJqvcg.jpg

But when "in time" means ~200 years for the galaxy, will it really be fully mapped in time?

Nebulae, star sausages and anything else you can see at a distance will always be a magnet for explorers and will be fully mapped long before we've even got a single percentage of the galaxy scanned. The huge density of red dwarf stars around the core will stay sparesly covered.

It's like pushing your bike 20km instead of riding it. - Just to be consistent.
I'm not disciplined enough for that.

After letting down the tires and locking the breaks on.

Parallax discovery works great for bodies on the orbital plane, within 10,000 Ls of the primary star. When you're looking for icy moons around a brown dwarf that's 250,000 Ls out, they show up as one tiny grey pixel when you get within about 500 Ls.

It's not 'discipline', it's willful masochism ;)

My deepest respect for still doing parallax "scanning" systems. – I mean, I started ED (late beta) without knowing too much about it, only because of my memories of the original Elite game. And I very well remember my fascination when I noticed some spots moving against the backdrop while cruising in a system. Until then I expected to have only a skybox around me. But the crazy guys from FDev put me in a simulated system of celestial bodies. How awesome was that! But now it's sooooo easy to avoid that effort, achievements became so cheap. Why bother any more? Sorry, enough lamenting…

So, something intriguing I found along the way.
The DW operate out of Neumann and Puelston stations in Shinrarta, and now Meredith City in LFT 926.
There are 44 Neumann stations/outposts and 22 Puleston stations/outposts within the galaxy.
Surely if they're renting space in a building someone should know something of the entities paying the rent, unless they own the building.
Using my method of looking for bodies named after Mountains I found that the system LTT 606 is the only Neumann station with a mountain named moon.
That moon is named Moel Lefn, which is a mountain in Snowdonia, Wales. Orbiting it is a station named Marianne's Journey To Arcadia.
On Moel Lefn you will find 2 crashed Anacondas, one of which has a Thargoid Sensor. Also in the system is a station named Jeremy.
This turned out to be a direct reference to a small book named Elysian Dawn by Sally Odgers which is a tale about a generation ship and onboard is Marianne Arcadia and her fiance Jeremiah.

"Marianne Arcadia expected to marry Jeremiah and raise a family. Edsen Balm had no more hope than to stay close to Marianne. Jameel Singh intended to travel home to Terra to meet his fiancée’s parents. Hanaka Moon meant to oversee the next generation of ship-born and pass the mantle of healer to her daughters. Meera Singh wanted to prove herself as the brightest new diamond in Mother Shiva’s crown. Cornelia Conti hoped to get her embroidery done and to find a shampoo that didn’t contain Stay-colour. All their plans crash-landed with the starship Elysian Dawn but that, as they say, was just the beginning."

The first time I visited this place I found 6 ships flying in a perfectly straight line and flying incredibly slow straight to Marianne's Journey To Arcadia.
I've seen this behavior since at other locations, but this line was so dang perfectly straight and at the time was a first time seeing something like this from NPC's and I've never seen it repeated anywhere else quite like it happened that day.

As an investigator, (which as a potential member of the DW you should be by now) the key to a good investigation is tracking down connections to the source. Typically an investigation will begin with the source connections and move out from there, especially if there are no clues besides the root of the story you're trying to unravel.
Using this approach has been an indispensable tool in my experience.

Thoughts?

*edit- Correction, it was 5 ships. Also, Elysian Dawn was published in 2018, so kickstarters are not a reason. Also worth noting the word Elysian. I'm not gonna refamiliarize you with this word and it's meaning as you likely, should understand the reference and the character from the DW novella by now.

Last edited:
So, something intriguing I found along the way.
The DW operate out of Neumann and Puelston stations in Shinrarta, and now Meredith City in LFT 926.
There are 44 Neumann stations/outposts and 22 Puleston stations/outposts within the galaxy.
Surely if they're renting space in a building someone should know something of the entities paying the rent, unless they own the building.
Using my method of looking for bodies named after Mountains I found that the system LTT 606 is the only Neumann station with a mountain named moon.
That moon is named Moel Lefn, which is a mountain in Snowdonia of Wales. Orbiting it is a station named Marianne's Journey To Arcadia.
On Moel Lefn you will find 2 crashed Anacondas, one of which has a Thargoid Sensor. Also in the system is a station named Jeremy.
This turned out to be a direct reference to a small book named Elysian Dawn by Sally Odgers which is a tale about a generation ship and onboard is Marianne Arcadia and her fiance Jeremiah.

"Marianne Arcadia expected to marry Jeremiah and raise a family. Edsen Balm had no more hope than to stay close to Marianne. Jameel Singh intended to travel home to Terra to meet his fiancée’s parents. Hanaka Moon meant to oversee the next generation of ship-born and pass the mantle of healer to her daughters. Meera Singh wanted to prove herself as the brightest new diamond in Mother Shiva’s crown. Cornelia Conti hoped to get her embroidery done and to find a shampoo that didn’t contain Stay-colour. All their plans crash-landed with the starship Elysian Dawn but that, as they say, was just the beginning."

The first time I visited this place I found 6 ships flying in a perfectly straight line and flying incredibly slow straight to Marianne's Journey To Arcadia.
I've seen this behavior since at other locations, but this line was so dang perfectly straight and at the time was a first time seeing something like this from NPC's and I've never seen it repeated anywhere else quite like it happened that day.

As an investigator, (which as a potential member of the DW you should be by now) the key to a good investigation is tracking down connections to the source. Typically an investigation will begin with the source connections and move out from there, especially if there are no clues besides the root of the story you're trying to unravel.
Using this approach has been an indispensable tool in my experience.

Thoughts?

Kickstarter backers of a certain rank had the option to name stations and planets.
The most likely explanation is that a fan of the book (or Sally Odgers herself) backed the game and chose those names for the system.

Other stations/outposts are named after famous astronomers, astronauts and scientists and are frequently repeated - there are something like 17 Gagarin stations - so it's not a spectacular coincidence that the name is shared between the DW stations and a system containing Kickstarter-named entities.

Unless you manage to discover that Sally Odgers was married to Robert Holdstock then I think you're chasing a red herring.

Meera? Allow me be too "straight forwardish" in language things. :D Is it Mira? Omicron Ceti? Binary star system with red giant and white dwarf with huge accretion disk that spiraling around the second star. Not in the game of course.

And what is meaning of Singh name? Hero?

P.S. It's just a coincidence (or how it's naming). In this game so many cultural references... And sometime it looks like linked to something important.

Last edited:
I suppose that without the 2 crashed condas, the sensor, and the strange npc behaviors, I'd be inclined to believe that you are right. I guess you had to be there. I'm not suggesting that the key to the puzzle can be solved there, just that it may have been confirmation that it was the right spot to be at the time.

In regards to strange npc behaviors, this is my only explanation for it at this point

"Every fantasy theme has its own complex which is self contained, with actors to help tourists play a part in adventures and feel that it is real."

I suppose that without the 2 crashed condas, the sensor, and the strange npc behaviors, I'd be inclined to believe that you are right. I guess you had to be there. I'm not suggesting that the key to the puzzle can be solved there, just that it may have been confirmation that it was the right spot to be at the time.

Was the 'strange NPC behavior' in SC or a USS? There used to be all kinds of USSs that had a bunch of slow moving ships in them - not sure if they're still around. 'Ceremonial Comms' was one of them.

The crashed 'Condas are, I believe, associated with tip-off missions.

Was the 'strange NPC behavior' in SC or a USS? There used to be all kinds of USSs that had a bunch of slow moving ships in them - not sure if they're still around. 'Ceremonial Comms' was one of them.

The crashed 'Condas are, I believe, associated with tip-off missions.
Edited the post and added the screenshots. But it was in SC. The thing was their speed. It was like they had 2 pips to throttle and they never broke formation.

Top Bottom