Which one is worse?

• Addiction to strong alcohol, and an interest in obscure mythology.
  • Randomly looking for something you don't what is, in 400 million places.
Neither look like a thing a rational person would do.

I would also like to add a third option.

- Doing obscure complex tasks in order to invoke a game mechanic (probably non existent) that gives you an invitation to a secret society that is supposedly also looking for Raxxla, with about the same success rate as us. :ROFLMAO:

It’s not the strong alcohol that worries me (looking forward to my post-gardening brandy! this afternoon is top-dressing & levelling the lawn). It’s the weird mythology! 👹🤡👻

It’s not the strong alcohol that worries me (looking forward to my post-gardening brandy! this afternoon is top-dressing & levelling the lawn). It’s the weird mythology! 👹🤡👻
A combination of substance abuse and delusion can quickly lead to a downward spiral, into a dark place.

According to my investigations, that should be the perfect way to find Raxxla.

Steady on, Commander. 🥃🌪

Raxxla is a doughnut? Surely The DW is the doughnut, Raxxla is the hole in the middle, there but not there, that you can see but can't see, the gateway that is also the key...assuming you use your finger in the hole/gateway as the key to eating it....and the sugar is the stars, quick, someone map a doughnuts constellations!

I seem to be trying some new ways to get into the DW. Has anybody else tried setting new records for numbers of rebuys, eg 1 Billion rebuys with Small & Medium ships only? Most numbers of rebuys? Max Exploration data lost in one stupid incident? Max distance lost by returning to station when dead? Most stupid death?

They said it was a test of skill, they never said they were looking for good skill, maybe theyre looking for a hopeless pilot who is a blank slate they can train, how obfuscating is that hey?....I hope so

OK serious question, where / what is the Milky Way exactly?

Since a small child I thought the Milky Way was 'our' whole Galaxy and the band we could see was the 'middle' but Im reading everywhere that it is actually (or originally) meant only the band we can see in the night sky and we are 'outside' of it?

Which is usually understood as correct? The whole Galaxy or the band of stars we can see from Earth?

May matter and narrow it down if the MB quote 'Its in the Milky Way' means its 'over in that direction' rather than 'behind us in that direction'. My knock a couple hundred thousand systems off the search which seems like a lot but actually isn't is all.

Well, studying science we learn that: "The heavenly bodies are wheels of fire enclosed in mist which have certain opening through which they are visible." The sun is like a fiery chariot-wheel, stars are actually a star-wheel, with breathing-holes on the wheel. This wheel is closer to Earth than the Sun-wheel, about ten Earth diameters. The wheels themselves cannot be seen, of course, because of the mist. So, we can learn that Via Lactea is actually a concertration of star-holes of primordial background-fire, shaped as a path across the skydome because of this wheel shape, as Earth is in the center.

If you must know more, an initiation into the cult of Hera is required. They will ask you to deliver hundreds of tonnes of milk between several agricultural starsystems, as is their custom, before revealing their secrets.

its worth remembering that 'Galaxy' is a modern term. Before about 1900 no-one really realised that there were other galaxies.

Mythology tried to explain the milky smear in the sky and 'the milky way' is a reference to the greek myths of Hermes and Hera see:

also a nice potted history of the identification of galaxies.

Sol is towards the edge, just as it is in ED and this is why the smudge in the sky is localised - it is looking towards the centre and the arms on their side - the centre is in the constellation of Sagittarius, hence Sag A*..

Last edited:

Since a small child I thought the Milky Way was 'our' whole Galaxy and the band we could see was the 'middle' but Im reading everywhere that it is actually (or originally) meant only the band we can see in the night sky and we are 'outside' of it?

Which is usually understood as correct? The whole Galaxy or the band of stars we can see from Earth?

May matter and narrow it down if the MB quote 'Its in the Milky Way' means its 'over in that direction' rather than 'behind us in that direction'. My knock a couple hundred thousand systems off the search which seems like a lot but actually isn't is all.

Both are correct. Our Galaxy is called the Milky Way. It's named after the band we see in the night sky. The name is older than our understanding of the Galaxy.

The Galaxy is in fact a bit older than the name, though. 😋

I thought the galaxy was only 5000 years old, according to some creationist folks.....

As we ponder Raxxla we surely can't dismiss all theories out of hand?

Yes we can.
Theory based on unsupported belief and ancient mythologies versus Theory based on scientific reasoning with supporting evidence??
The latter may not be the whole truth, but it’s a whole lot more solid than the former!

True Believers will choose the former, rational folk will choose the latter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom