At risk of turning this into a HHG2G fan thread:

The scrabble episode at the end of the series was meant to demonstrate that the arrival of the Golga-Frincham's on earth had messed up the computer program, and that what Marvin had seen in Arthurs brain waves was the wrong question. Prak came after that.. and don't mention the frogs!

[ I should mention that this is the radio series, which is the only canon version and has nothing to do with the abomination which is the movie...]
The books are more official, officially.

Downloaded the update
The engineered module icons in the right panel are still showing red!
🤬
The red colour in modules screen is not a software glitch, it symbolizes your spaceship realizing its light nature, and spiritual transmutation from dead lead into gold. It's Chrysopoeia. Your modules have become philosophical fire, alchemical sulphur, prima materia, sons of Hermes. Reddening is the fourth stage of awakening, illuminated pure spirit, most intense fire, highest state of consciousness.

"Take the clean white, which
is a most great arcanum, wherein is the
true tincture; imbue sand therewith,
which sand is made out of the stone
seven times imbued, until it drink up
the whole, and close the mouth of the
vessel effectually, as you have often been
told. For that which ye seek of it by
the favour of God, will appear to you,
which is the stone of Tyrian colour.
Now, therefore, I have fulfilled the
truth, so do I conjure you by God and
your sure Master, that you show not
this great arcanum, and beware of the
wicked!"

ss18.jpg

Ancient hermetic philosophers were also quite keen on idea that the Red Tincture, Philosopher's Stone, Spiritualised Gold, is actually radioactive. You know, like a nuclear bomb.

I was ofc referring to the series of books, where the Scrabble event takes place in the really confusing last one I think, but the intervention messing up the programming makes it irrelevant anyway really

Back to Raxxla, if we are talking bendy space time physics of some sort then only the Thargs have been able to do this haven't they? Punching a hole from one Universe (or whatever Witch Space actually is) into ours? Maybe Soontil (Is that actually proven Tharg or just speculation / best current theory) needs more investigation.

Did DB say at some point 'Follow the missions' in answer to a question about Raxxla or not, heard it a long time ago but can't track it down and not sure it was DB who said it or someone reporting DB had said it?

another thought, and Ill track it down if I have to, one of the earlier Update videos refers to the new missions and there being 3 mission rewards available Cash, Goods & Materials and you can choose which one you get, then they say theres a 4th one but they won't go into that and they look forward to someone finding it out...what are they referring to, what is this 4th mysterious reward, im sure from context they didnt mean Inf & Rep +++ but havent heard anything anywhere about other rewards....unless they meant the tip-off missions?

I was ofc referring to the series of books, where the Scrabble event takes place in the really confusing last one I think, but the intervention messing up the programming makes it irrelevant anyway really

Back to Raxxla, if we are talking bendy space time physics of some sort then only the Thargs have been able to do this haven't they? Punching a hole from one Universe (or whatever Witch Space actually is) into ours? Maybe Soontil (Is that actually proven Tharg or just speculation / best current theory) needs more investigation.

Did DB say at some point 'Follow the missions' in answer to a question about Raxxla or not, heard it a long time ago but can't track it down and not sure it was DB who said it or someone reporting DB had said it?

another thought, and Ill track it down if I have to, one of the earlier Update videos refers to the new missions and there being 3 mission rewards available Cash, Goods & Materials and you can choose which one you get, then they say theres a 4th one but they won't go into that and they look forward to someone finding it out...what are they referring to, what is this 4th mysterious reward, im sure from context they didnt mean Inf & Rep +++ but havent heard anything anywhere about other rewards....unless they meant the tip-off missions?

Sounds interesting. I’ve not seen (I think, never got around to it) the early diary/development etc FD vids but maybe Han_Zen or Simulacrae etc can answer. Would be interested to see the reference.

Edit: I was doing a couple of missions yesterday afternoon from the same giver, completed first ok when things started to go haywire. Got to the second mission search zone, but it didn’t finalise the circle which was stationary but still “jaggy”. Landed & recovered the item, then realised there was another site 1.5km away, went there & found same “mission item” again, site seemed to be replicated. Got that so had 2/1 items for that mission . Game was very staccato, having lots of freezes for several seconds at a time. Returned to giver, all three items disappered from cargo hold, both missions successful. Pulled up Windows Task Manager & found I’d got two launchers running in the background! How? Only had one to start with!

This was just before I got up to feed the ship’s dog, returned to my (black) pilots chair & sat on my (black) cat who had purloined my space. Jumped up, jamming my arm under the armrest, cat went running off into gard(i)en space. Found I couldn’t move my left arm-think I may have damaged rotator cuff. In pain all night, less than 3 hours sleep.🤕

Think the follow-on mission may have to wait!!! 🙁
Edit2: may have time to catch up on videos!

Last edited:

All FTL travel is done by utilizing space compression. We make the distance short, in stead of actually moving fast. Supercruise is a more controlled version of this and therefore a more difficult technology. Regular old fashioned hyperspace is just full power and therefor simpler.
It can probably be compared to controlled fusion vs a hydrogen bomb.
Both methods compress space around our ship.

Thargoids are probably doing more or less the same, but they seem to do this away from their ship. We don't know the details, but it looks like they create a semi stabile worm hole and then fly through it. The worm hole presumably makes a zero length connection between two distant points in space.

All of this is of course quasi science. :)

The Galnet article about Soontil relics https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/2ff0af566b06e051c2af52cd02a467351b449535 isn't clear on the origin.
It seem to indicate that it's Thargoid related. Either very old or from an unknown culture.
It could be a base from the time of their conflict with the Guardians, it could be Klaxian or it could be something different. We don't know.

I've never heard the 'Follow the missions' quote.

This was just before I got up to feed the ship’s dog, returned to my (black) pilots chair & sat on my (black) cat who had purloined my space. Jumped up, jamming my arm under the armrest, cat went running off into gard(i)en space. Found I couldn’t move my left arm-think I may have damaged rotator cuff. In pain all night, less than 3 hours sleep.🤕

Think the follow-on mission may have to wait!!! 🙁
Edit2: may have time to catch up on videos!

i'm guessing we are not 'liking' this as seems like we are liking the injury of a CMDR if you know what I mean but gl Jorki,hope it isnt too bad.

ill have to track down that quote, if anyone looking it was on one of the major update livestreams (I think / hope) where they do a long livestream while servers are down and they get a few different devs on to give details. Cant remember if it was Ed or Will, think Will and it was the guy who does the missions updates (embarrassed to say cant remember his name sorry), short black hair, talks about new mission board (I think) the layout and rewards and then mentions the 4th reward. Its only a 20-30 minute segment in the livestream.

i'm guessing we are not 'liking' this as seems like we are liking the injury of a CMDR if you know what I mean but gl Jorki,hope it isnt too bad.

ill have to track down that quote, if anyone looking it was on one of the major update livestreams (I think / hope) where they do a long livestream while servers are down and they get a few different devs on to give details. Cant remember if it was Ed or Will, think Will and it was the guy who does the missions updates (embarrassed to say cant remember his name sorry), short black hair, talks about new mission board (I think) the layout and rewards and then mentions the 4th reward. Its only a 20-30 minute segment in the livestream.

Thanks! Doesn’t hurt quite so much this morning (down to dull agony!) & got some physio booked for tomorrow.
Did a quick google this morning after reading yr post & there was a lot of discussion about updated missions back in January, so guessing might be thinking of the livestream for the last major update (around October last year?)

Thanks Jorki, I'm already regretting committing to tracking it down but I half remember it as being 2018 so it may well be that one, Ill watch it in detail, the problem is I have them on on laptop while playing on Xbox so dont pay attention to whos saying what or which video at the time. Some progress however:

Its Adam who says it not Adam Woods but the other one, I never catch his name as the audio is so bad but it sounds like Braithwaite or Blake-White or similar but you'll know who I mean I hope. Sorry Adam if you ever read this, I love the ones you're on, they're always informative, its just the introductions that are muffled. Actually if you are reading this, does this jog a memory and are you able to say more yet or not, mainly, has the 4th reward been discovered / granted?

the search continuum....

In my last game session I complete a tip-off mission from an anonymous stranger after completing some "Founder or Elite" ranked mission for TDW, now I have an "Rescue Mission - Occupied Escape Pods" from another TDW allied partner 'Future of Arro Naga' that I haven't run missions for in quite a while but is on my tracking spreadsheet as having completed FoE missions previously.

Coincidence?

Does anyone know if the mission stack was re-vamped in the September update to offer more random missions directly to pilots?

Or am I being covertly tested...since I've never had one of these before (one can only hope!)?

Thanks for all the replies, I checked out the TO thread but this wasn't a tip-off mission. Just a direct rescue mission for me.

And damn! I didn't get time last session to complete the Rescue Mission for FoA that I posted about, and just logged in game, re-checked the message, navigated to the system (Arro Naga), and now when I check in my messages it's gone!? I only got it on Monday?! :-(

That'll learn me … next time I'm grabbing a screen shot if I get one of those missions.

Fly dangerously.
/Ra

Thanks Jorki, I'm already regretting committing to tracking it down but I half remember it as being 2018 so it may well be that one, Ill watch it in detail, the problem is I have them on on laptop while playing on Xbox so dont pay attention to whos saying what or which video at the time. Some progress however:

Its Adam who says it not Adam Woods but the other one, I never catch his name as the audio is so bad but it sounds like Braithwaite or Blake-White or similar but you'll know who I mean I hope. Sorry Adam if you ever read this, I love the ones you're on, they're always informative, its just the introductions that are muffled. Actually if you are reading this, does this jog a memory and are you able to say more yet or not, mainly, has the 4th reward been discovered / granted?

the search continuum....

Mmm, I can’t help there as I only ever watch about 30 minutes of those extended release livestreams. Life is too short! I catch up on interesting bits that people report on the forum.

Talking about missions- I ended my play the other day after a courier delivery and got notice of a follow-on mission at the mission giver’s location. However the station I was docked at had the same faction & also showed a follow-on mission. My question is, is this the same mission as the notification, saving me travelling back, or is it a separate follow-on?

And how long are follow-on missions available for? With my injury I can’t see me playing for a few days at least.

I am going to retract my '4th mission' statement as the mad ramblings of a void exposed mind or a dream or i was just hearing things. If I do find evidence I will re-introduce it then with an actual link. For now just treat it as a mistake / false rumour.

I'm not infallible, but I could be wrong about that.

(snip) and now when I check in my messages it's gone!? I only got it on Monday?! :-(

That'll learn me … next time I'm grabbing a screen shot if I get one of those missions.

Fly dangerously.
/Ra

I tend to treat a 'disappearing' message on relog as a 'temporary' one because the tourist Beacons, messages from INRA sites, Unregistered Comms Beacons all stay in the inbox for 30 days and go to the Codex forever so they are 'permanent' messages and actually mean something / lead somewhere (proven). To me, and it is my interpretation only, the temporary ones probably don't have the same significance so I dont worry if they disappear, I probably haven't missed anything major. No evidence of temp missions not having significant at all just my interpretation of how it works.

Talking about missions- I ended my play the other day after a courier delivery and got notice of a follow-on mission at the mission giver’s location. However the station I was docked at had the same faction & also showed a follow-on mission. My question is, is this the same mission as the notification, saving me travelling back, or is it a separate follow-on?

And how long are follow-on missions available for? With my injury I can’t see me playing for a few days at least.

I think its the same one, I've never had another follow-on after picking up the existing one at the station. Most of the time you're at another station so the message I think is just auto-generated to let you know theres a mission available even if you are already there.

Don't know how long for, I usually just pick them up or I'm too far away anyway. Does the message have an expiry length? may be the same. Otherwise Id guess 24 hours, on Server Tick, 7 Days or just a random time for each mission, sorry.

If you want them the easy way to get them is to donate money to the faction and then fairly quickly you usually get a message along the lines of 'With your money we bought 2 bars of Gold that need taking to X station 10-20 LY away'.

Types of mission reward:

• Credits
  • Influence
  • Materials
  • Data

**This list is only covering tangible rewards which are given on completion of a mission and doesn’t cover rewards obtained during the mission rather than when handing in or intangible rewards of any sort, and also only applies to missions obtained from missions picked up from the mission board on station services.

Top Bottom