My intial meandering towards tourist beacons as one way to find Raxxla isn't based off any evidence, nor do I actually believe they literally point the way, I'm certain they dont, but.

I believe what I was trying to do in my last post, was to encourage myself enough to investigate the possibility that they do, or at least; hold enough consistent information which could be examined.

What I think I was trying to hint at was, is there any meaning to this information. That is does it (intentionally or unintentionally) present any relationships; between certain stars, names or dates etc?

Now it just so happens that some other kindly and ingenious commanders have already worked tirelessly in the past to build such a directory (or matrix) of said tourist beacon data. Its available right here on this forum.

Now I may / or may not (as this is what I do in RL and I'm hesitant to 'work' at a game) be able to apply key-word analysis and relationship map these texts.

Its a bit like mapping someones data, in that you can map their behaviour from simple bits of information.

Is there in this data (or other such data) any direct (or indirect) indication of something? If you recall the COR once mapped simular data to highlight the likelihood of the existence of the Club...could tourist data (or to be more specific 'ED lore') it also show the fingerprints of a developer?

I may or may not have at it...up until 5 minutes ago I'd only realised someone had already built an Excel database, thats half the work done already....but.

Tis a shame in any rate, when you're no longer actually playing the game to unlock its mysteries but instead spend your (what free time you have) pouring over spreadsheets...

But its a potential lead, and when you have eliminated the improbable, whatever remains, however unimportant, may have, or it may not hold some meaning.

Relationship mapping the ED tourist beacons didn't actually take as much time as I thought it would; and ultimately resolved nothing.

If there are any clues towards Raxxla in game Im resolute its only from the Codex.

Drawing intelligence from other data could provide insight but I'm imagining the dataset would need to be huge, and that's a time-sink Im not keen on tackling.

A shame as it points to the possibility the location was originally arbitrary and the Codex later wrapped around it, not carefully constructed (which would mean it could have been reverse analysed).

Likely that theory is wrong too. Its probably like most things; hidden in plain sight.

Last edited:
Relationship mapping the ED tourist beacons didn't actually take as much time as I thought it would; and ultimately resolved nothing.

If there are any clues towards Raxxla in game Im resolute its only from the Codex.

Drawing intelligence from other data could provide insight but I'm imagining the dataset would need to be huge, and that's a time-sink Im not keen on tackling.

A shame as it points to the possibility the location is arbitrary and tge Codex was wrapped around it, no carefully constructed (which would mean it could have been reverse analysed).

Likely thats wrong too. Its probably like most things; hidden in plain sight.
There are still a considerable number of Tourist Beacons undiscovered / not listed in the spreadsheet?

The numbering scheme gaps imply that

Thats my point, we need more data. The more information the greater liklihood of a pattern emerges. At least thats 'something' I suppose.

Twas a longshot and my disappointment is solely from having to stoop towards applying such a process to 'maybe' extrapolate meaning 'from a game'. I mean its not like RL.

I suppose I'm just missing the older DW missions; at least they implied 'something' could have been discovered. (And I still suspect we got too close too soon). Relying on vague hints and theories isn't normally enough. We need hard intel.

In these circumstances informants and 'third party' intel is normally applied.

Does anyone work as an office cleaner? Youd be surprised how many offices just leave information lying around....

Sorry that was a joke.

Last edited:
Kudos to you cmdr, o7. It was Thomas Edison who said, " I haven't failed, I found 10000 ways that do not work"

Everything we try that doesnt pan out just narrows down the search. Because of this, no ones search efforts will ever be in vain.

Hold your heads high cmdrs, and press on into that cold unfeeling darkness. This galaxy is ours and its secrets shall be as well!

To Raxxla!!

- drink

Thats my point, we need more data. The more information the greater liklihood of a pattern emerges. At least thats 'something' I suppose.

Twas a longshot and my disappointment is solely from having to stoop towards applying such a process to 'maybe' extrapolate meaning 'from a game'. I mean its not like RL.

I suppose I'm just missing the older DW missions; at least they implied 'something' could have been discovered. (And I still suspect we got too close too soon). Relying on vague hints and theories isn't normally enough. We need hard intel.

In these circumstances informants and 'third party' intel is normally applied.

Does anyone work as an office cleaner? Youd be surprised how many offices just leave information lying around....

Sorry that was a joke.

This is just speculation, but my gut feeling tells me that the E/F DW missions(and the Halsey story) were intended to lead to the discovery of the Guardians. We will never know FD's actual intentions, because the first ruin was found with an out of game method.
Michael Brookes once told that the narrative of Raxxla would play out in-game. I suspect that the Guardians were step one, in this narrative. The old missions were removed when they no longer served a purpose.

Not to long ago the story of Gan Romero figured in Galnet. It's somewhat similar to the Halsey story and I suspect it will lead to a second Guardian cluster that will teach us more about their history. I know a similar region has been found with Brain trees and a central permit locked region around a WR star. The location has not been revealed yet, to allow FD to execute their full plan.

That was a lot of speculation in one post. 😵

Last edited:
Not many interesting TB's left though:

0001-0112 -Many in this area un-found, but these are User Submitted (I believe there was an FD appeal for interesting places for tourism)
0113-0251 - Elite History - these are all found
0252- this may be a history beacon as its on the boundary..
0253-0260 - A couple here in another User submitted section
0261-0499 - All found (Visitor)
0500-0508 - Elite history all found
0508-0548 - User submitted all found
0543-0619 - Volcanism - all found
0620 Odd Elite history beacon found
0621-0631 - user submitted - 1 not found (0630)
0632-0636 Elite history all found
0637 - on a boundary again not found and maybe user or history
0638-0649 - User sumbitted and found
0649 - a leesti oriented history beacon
0650 - 0663 - The most interesting - a batch of not found beacons in a history section
0664 - 0715 - History beacons all found

TL/DR - there are only one batch of 14 all in a sequence that arent found and are not user submitted.. this smells like an area that hasnt been unlocked...
Timing wise contemporary with introduction of Bark Mounds

Ref: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eu30UyjpQrWexAglwD1Ax_GaDz4d7l8KD76kSzX4DEk/edit#gid=0

This is just speculation, but my gut feeling tells me that the E/F DW missions(and the Halsey story) were intended to lead to the discovery of the Guardians. We will never know FD's actual intentions, because the first ruin was found with an out of game method.
Michael Brookes once told that the narrative of Raxxla would play out in-game. I suspect that the Guardians were step one, in this narrative. The old missions were removed when they no longer served a purpose.

Not to long ago the story of Gan Romero figured in Galnet. It's somewhat similar to the Halsey story and I suspect it will lead to a second Guardian cluster that will tech us more about their history. I know a similar region has been found with Brain trees and a central permit locked region around a WR star. The location has not been revealed yet, to allow FD to execute their full plan.

I can certainly see those missions and the Halsley story especially being a way to drive the Guardian story forward.

Having said that, I am still not convinced that we have learned all we can from TDW in regards to Raxxla using the current tools at our disposal. I know TDW faction has been examined thoroughly with no solid results to date. However I sometimes wonder if they have not quite been tackled the exact right way required, or if there is another angle to view things from that I am missing? Perhaps newer features (like hacking with recon limpets at these hidden installations for example) could yield new results?

I think my largest concern is that we could examine TDW in-game faction from every angle and find nothing, and not know if it is because there is nothing there to find at all, or that it is due to the possibility we are only ever being drip-fed information when it is relevant to advance other narratives.

For some speculation of my own that brings Raxxla and the Guardians together; I have for a long time wondered if Raxxla is related to the Guardians. Raxxla being the access point to a virtual Guardian utopia.

The guardians in their physical forms are long since extinct. That is evident from what information we have. Knowing the technology that they utilised, I don’t think it too far of a stretch to imagine they were successful in uploading their consciousness to a virtual utopia. What need would they have for physical forms if they could upload their minds into a virtual paradise?

We know the Guardian technology still functions to this day. Considering how technologically advanced they were it would be no surprise if they were able to run a whatever devices needed indefinitely. Something that could be guarded and maintained by sentinels, as the Guardian ruins are.

What if that is what Raxxla is? Perhaps the Guardian narrative ends in the discovery of Raxxla, the gateway that allows us access to this utopia?

That is if we don’t find it first, of course ;)

TL;DR version: I still hold out hope there is more to find in game through TDW faction in regards to Raxxla.

I also speculate that Raxxla is the access point to a Guardian virtual paradise.

Last edited:
Interesting take - re-reading the OP, and there's nothing that goes against the crystals in the missions being guardian data crystals.

Also the original mission flavour text is general against the DW - as in trying to figure out what they've found/are up to.

For reference on Halsey and the Guardians, from the Codex, talking about what happened to Halsey after the loss of Starship One:

"During this period of stasis, Halsey believed she was visited by trans-dimensional beings of extraordinary intelligence and compassion. Later, when she was rescued and revived, she was left with the conviction that this experience had been real, and not merely a hallucination.

Halsey proceeded to experience visions of mysterious alien worlds and cities - dense metropolises full of activity and life. She shared these visions with the rest of humanity, prompting explorers to set off in search of these undiscovered planets. This led to the discovery of the first Guardian ruins, in the Synuefe XR-H d11-102 system. The fact that these sites were devoid of life led to speculation that Halsey had seen the Guardian worlds not as they are, but as they had been."

Additional notes:

- that isn’t how the Ruins were actually found

- they were found via a trailer (it’s replicable if anyone wants the challenge)

- we know from the time that FD has something planned for how we would find the ruins, but it ended up not happening when they were found via the trailer

- way way back now, it had been posited (certainly by myself, possibly by others) that what Halsey had described encountering was the only thing described in the game which was a possible match for what had become of the Guardian descendants

Given everything it seems fairly likely that what the Codex describes is what ‘should’ have happened.

I did ask for clarification back in the 3.3 Beta (IIRC) on whether that’s how the Codex entry should be treated but didn’t get any response.

Interestingly however, Premonition doesn’t use the Halsey stuff, and rather it essentially canonified what actually happened, and treated the trailer images as things which were leaked by The Club to distract attention away from Thargoid related things. Would be interesting to get your take on this @drew if you’re happy to comment?

For reference on Halsey and the Guardians, from the Codex, talking about what happened to Halsey after the loss of Starship One:

"During this period of stasis, Halsey believed she was visited by trans-dimensional beings of extraordinary intelligence and compassion. Later, when she was rescued and revived, she was left with the conviction that this experience had been real, and not merely a hallucination.

Halsey proceeded to experience visions of mysterious alien worlds and cities - dense metropolises full of activity and life. She shared these visions with the rest of humanity, prompting explorers to set off in search of these undiscovered planets. This led to the discovery of the first Guardian ruins, in the Synuefe XR-H d11-102 system. The fact that these sites were devoid of life led to speculation that Halsey had seen the Guardian worlds not as they are, but as they had been."

Additional notes:

- that isn’t how the Ruins were actually found

- they were found via a trailer (it’s replicable if anyone wants the challenge)

- we know from the time that FD has something planned for how we would find the ruins, but it ended up not happening when they were found via the trailer

- way way back now, it had been posited (certainly by myself, possibly by others) that what Halsey had described encountering was the only thing described in the game which was a possible match for what had become of the Guardian descendants

Given everything it seems fairly likely that what the Codex describes is what ‘should’ have happened.

I did ask for clarification back in the 3.3 Beta (IIRC) on whether that’s how the Codex entry should be treated but didn’t get any response.

Interestingly however, Premonition doesn’t use the Halsey stuff, and rather it essentially canonified what actually happened, and treated the trailer images as things which were leaked by The Club to distract attention away from Thargoid related things. Would be interesting to get your take on this @drew if you’re happy to comment?
FD has to a degree rewritten that part of history, in the codex. They can of course justify their story with the fact that the ruins were discovered by the pilot in the trailer and not the players that found it, using the trailer.

I can certainly see those missions and the Halsley story especially being a way to drive the Guardian story forward.

Having said that, I am still not convinced that we have learned all we can from TDW in regards to Raxxla using the current tools at our disposal. I know TDW faction has been examined thoroughly with no solid results to date. However I sometimes wonder if they have not quite been tackled the exact right way required, or if there is another angle to view things from that I am missing? Perhaps newer features (like hacking with recon limpets at these hidden installations for example) could yield new results?

I think my largest concern is that we could examine TDW in-game faction from every angle and find nothing, and not know if it is because there is nothing there to find at all, or that it is due to the possibility we are only ever being drip-fed information when it is relevant to advance other narratives.

For some speculation of my own that brings Raxxla and the Guardians together; I have for a long time wondered if Raxxla is related to the Guardians. Raxxla being the access point to a virtual Guardian utopia.

The guardians in their physical forms are long since extinct. That is evident from what information we have. Knowing the technology that they utilised, I don’t think it too far of a stretch to imagine they were successful in uploading their consciousness to a virtual utopia. What need would they have for physical forms if they could upload their minds into a virtual paradise?

We know the Guardian technology still functions to this day. Considering how technologically advanced they were it would be no surprise if they were able to run a whatever devices needed indefinitely. Something that could be guarded and maintained by sentinels, as the Guardian ruins are.

What if that is what Raxxla is? Perhaps the Guardian narrative ends in the discovery of Raxxla, the gateway that allows us access to this utopia?

That is if we don’t find it first, of course ;)

TL;DR version: I still hold out hope there is more to find in game through TDW faction in regards to Raxxla.

I also speculate that Raxxla is the access point to a Guardian virtual paradise.
If you've done both the Ram Tah missions you have to scan very specific obelisks to get the complete data set although some individual pieces appear in many sites. The point being, it's only one piece of data per obelisk, which would suggest they are no longer connected to the larger guardian network(s).

I'd like to see a fully functional Guardian site, maybe gain access via those underground bunker doors.

If you've done both the Ram Tah missions you have to scan very specific obelisks to get the complete data set although some individual pieces appear in many sites. The point being, it's only one piece of data per obelisk, which would suggest they are no longer connected to the larger guardian network(s).

I'd like to see a fully functional Guardian site, maybe gain access via those underground bunker doors.

Has anyone made a really determined effort at opening those doors? We get “guardian keys” from the orbiting stations to get blueprints but has anyone tried them on those bunker doors?

Not to long ago the story of Gan Romero figured in Galnet. It's somewhat similar to the Halsey story and I suspect it will lead to a second Guardian cluster that will teach us more about their history. I know a similar region has been found with Brain trees and a central permit locked region around a WR star. The location has not been revealed yet, to allow FD to execute their full plan.

Oh I completely agree.

Taking it into context FDs narrative MO, I feel its more likely than not that Raxxla is locked behind some narrative wall which we are either failing to activate or was bugged / then fixed, and will; upon some other discovery, be revealed.

In other words FD aren't ready for us to find it. I certainly no longer think FD would just leave Raxxla lying around for anyone to trip over (unless its a meaningless easteregg) and I seriously doubt they had the imagination to hide it through some astronomical oddity or series of clever missions.

I am in agreement that it is probable the older DW missions hinted towards the Guardians...at which point FD injected the next batch of content (which is their MO) and the same with the Thargoids etc.

Thats how their narrative works...its injected chapters, no one is going to jump to the conclusion. For if it were related to the Guardians / Thargoids thats a lot of dev work thrown out the window.

Same with the other locked areas in game, their just not ready for us to progress to that page in their story.

Going off MBs statement about there being nothing to duscuss at that time, would make it suspect its locked behind a drip fed narrative. Yes its in game, it has a location but its behind an unknown permit.

Can we follow the Codex...maybe/maybe not...I have litte faith in FDs methods anymore, and thats what I meant about consistency.

Certainly the DW Codex is more likely and could be the next leg on the journey as it gives a descrption of what to look out for.

Until then lets keep on blindly stabbing around in the dark, someone is more likely than not to find it eventually.

We're coming up to the 2020 content drop. I fortell that will really be 2022 and at that point the story will move onwards.

Last edited:
Better discussion.

What would raxxla need to offer to the game to not be a complete and utter failure for all the years of mystery?

In game, the only thing I can think of is a means of traveling to another dimension or Galaxy. Potentially with an established human presence with somewhat compatible tech that will contain a completely separate bgs instance and layout.,. Potentially versions of existing alien races.

This would allow little design effort for potentially infinite variety where all of the existing code framework can be reused. Though I imagine it would be rolled out one at a time as custom changes can be made tailored to this new Galaxy/universe.

Or it opens a portal to a kind of hyperspace graveyard where you have x amount of time to collect rare materials that can be brought to engineers to Fab up one off items for your ship not available any other way. It would also cause heat damage to limit camping and repeated use, forcing players to repair and leave between uses. Acquiring a special permit key to approach the planet would also be required, gathered from narrative mission, otherwise you are dropped out of sc by a nullification field around the planet and drones will come to destroy you. The system is not permit blocked.

I don't see how anything less than that would be met with any kind of satisfaction...

edit: I'm kinda leaning towards the second option as it would be easier to implement and easier to fit in the existing lore. The idea of the system not being permit blocked but approaching the planet (and thus access to the graveyard) would be (planet level permits exist in the game already like earth's moon) ...is to allow what's been previously stated about any player being able to find raxxla within the game to be true still. Sure you can find it, but you'll be killed on approach to get it's goodies until fdev is ready with the narrative to let you have access.

Last edited:
Has anyone made a really determined effort at opening those doors? We get “guardian keys” from the orbiting stations to get blueprints but has anyone tried them on those bunker doors?
That is an interesting idea. I have done the Ram Tah missions previously, but the Guardian space structures with the keys happened whilst I was off game. I have tried to avoid looking up too much info or watch any videos because I would like to see these things for the first time in game, so I admittedly don’t know all that much about them.

Maybe the key does open the door? Or the Key + another guardian or thargoid item could have some kind of use?

Also as a side note; Great discussion going on in here. These sorts of discussions about the game and its many mysteries are some of my favourite parts of Elite Dangerous. Even if it is mostly speculative, I quite enjoy reading through people’s ideas and trying to piece together the puzzles we have been presented with.

o7 to you all

Last edited:
What would raxxla need to offer to the game to not be a complete and utter failure for all the years of mystery?

I much prefer the first option you presented but agree the second option would probably be easier and thus more likely.

It would be amazing to be transported to a different version of the simulated galaxy we currently occupy. Things are mostly the same, I don’t imagine things would be vastly different due to technical constraints.

Maybe it is a peaceful galaxy where the Guardians now reside, and their lack of conflict has allowed them to focus on the betterment of the galaxy they live in. Things like Dyson spheres and wormholes are abundant, and natural wonders could be created and organised at a whim. We would have the option to interact with the Guardians in a peaceful manner, and there would be new technological wonders to discover. We could then bring back the knowledge we have gained to our own galaxy to create new ships and modules.

Maybe it is a galaxy that is overrun with Thargoids, and every second spent in it is a battle for survival. We would have to learn a lot about the Thargoids and it would likely be easier to discover their source and weaknesses. This knowledge could prove invaluable in defeating the ‘goids in our own galaxy.

Maybe set during a time where the Guardians and Thargoids were at war, and helping either faction was a valid option that had various rewards. Like the other two galaxies, the rewards we gain could be in the form of new blueprints for new ships, modules and/or engineer mods.

Perhaps previous player actions determine the galaxy you are transported to.

I know all of that sounds a bit outrageous, and is clearly based on nothing more than tin foil hattery, but something along those lines would make the search worth while in my opinion ¯\(ツ)

Top Bottom