More likely the Guardians. An ammonia prepped planet would not have been much use for humans (except for all the barnacles).
Attempts at terraforming Mars failed, until shortly after the relic was discovered. The relic may have given blue prints or started a hidden terrafoming machine.
The relic could also be unrelated to the terraforming, but that wouldn't be much fun.:giggle:
BINGO!!!!

"The Alien World: A Complete Illustrated Guide" by Steven Eisler (aka Robert Holdstock) actually stated the Guardians (the Tholmathon in TAW) had a colony on Earth and Mars in the Permian and that "no artifacts of such martians had ever been found". Tholmathon died officially via civil war just like the Guardians (though there were some external factors too). Well, apparently, that Mars Non-Human artifact might just be Guardian. The Oisir-Raxxla were also in Sol very early and built focusers for the Talmor Lens at Earth (or its nearby vicinity - personally I lean towards this is the lore reason for the Moon permit). Humans also in the book are stated as having had colonies on the Moon (in fact the Moon lander is one of the first things mentioned) and this may have been hinted at in official Elite lore via tourist beacons. We found something on Moon and the Federation permit locked it (well the Club -- read up on presidential succession in Sol). They then find something on Mars bury it in a safe and pray it never sees the light of day. I think the true story of Elite Dangerous is a lot more like the books than anyone has dared thought possible.

I thought the Duval artifact might have originated at Exioce (if Marlin Duval didn't leave Sol with the Martian artifact). It just wasn't 100% clear if we are dealing with a singular artifact that has made quite a journey or several of them. If that is the case, that we do have a separate one the story of Wanted appears to be about the Duval artifact. Regardless, the last known location was Jackson's Lighthouse (though Ji Khanguire was sent off with the artifact and a new identity towards the end of Wanted).
The Duval artefact is a statue, that is stolen in FFE. There is a mission to transport it: http://www.jades.org/missions.htm

According to the news in FFE, The relic, discovered on Achenar 6d in the early days of the Empire was treasured as an Inter Stellar Treasure and a perfect example of an ancient and novel uni-dimensional art form. this unique piece of uni-dimensional art work is the last surviving relic of an ancient and sentient race, wiped out by the Colonising Forces of Duval

There is also some similarities between the Tholmathon from Alien World and the G’chathraga (or something like that) from the Tour of the Galaxy who possibly created the pluto ruins and left “voice mounds” on earth and mars…

BINGO!!!!

"The Alien World: A Complete Illustrated Guide" by Steven Eisler (aka Robert Holdstock) actually stated the Guardians (the Tholmathon in TAW) had a colony on Earth and Mars in the Permian and that "no artifacts of such martians had ever been found". Tholmathon died officially via civil war just like the Guardians (though there were some external factors too). Well, apparently, that Mars Non-Human artifact might just be Guardian. The Oisir-Raxxla were also in Sol very early and built focusers for the Talmor Lens at Earth (or its nearby vicinity - personally I lean towards this is the lore reason for the Moon permit). Humans also in the book are stated as having had colonies on the Moon (in fact the Moon lander is one of the first things mentioned) and this may have been hinted at in official Elite lore via tourist beacons. We found something on Moon and the Federation permit locked it (well the Club -- read up on presidential succession in Sol). They then find something on Mars bury it in a safe and pray it never sees the light of day. I think the true story of Elite Dangerous is a lot more like the books than anyone has dared thought possible.
And the moon is not locked.

Any other mentions of the Ryder family, TDW or Raxxla?
So, I don't think there were additional mentions of Ryder/TDW/Raxxla in the Elite Encounters RPG. The being said there was an odd mention of Raxxla and TDW in "The Alien World: A Complete Illustrated Guide" that the Oisir-Raxxla wanted to point the Talmor Lens at the Saramandara Pearls (an open cluster in the Milky Way Galaxy). I believe this is actually a reference to the Pearl Open Cluster (NGC 3766 Sector systems - see https://www.edsm.net/en/search/syst...lyPopulated/0/radius/5000/sortBy/distanceCMDR ). Additionally, TAW made reference to the Dark Wheel actually being a galaxy with a city of humans. Now whether that is the case in the game is anyone's guess but some of the earliest galnets referencing Thargoids mentioned the word "extragalactic" (see "Genesis of the Thargoids?" from 07 APR 3304 - https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5ac6383563e2f04e9a610f73 ).

NOTE: There is a singular confirmed coordinates system of the bunch when searching via EDSM. That being said I still think Sol is important to accessing whatever Raxxla is ultimately.

1634236608600.png

Last edited:
So, I don't think there were additional mentions of Ryder/TDW/Raxxla in the Elite Encounters RPG. The being said there was an odd mention of Raxxla and TDW in "The Alien World: A Complete Illustrated Guide" that the Oisir-Raxxla wanted to point the Talmor Lens at the Saramandara Pearls (an open cluster in the Milky Way Galaxy). I believe this is actually a reference to the Pearl Open Cluster (NGC 3766 Sector systems - see https://www.edsm.net/en/search/syst...lyPopulated/0/radius/5000/sortBy/distanceCMDR ). Additionally, TAW made reference to the Dark Wheel actually being a galaxy with a city of humans. Now whether that is the case in the game is anyone's guess but some of the earliest galnets referencing Thargoids mentioned the word "extragalactic" (see "Genesis of the Thargoids?" from 07 APR 3304 - https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5ac6383563e2f04e9a610f73 ).

View attachment 268699
Yup spent some time in the pearl cluster as well as the jewel box. 😉

also some more thoughts about the pearls: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/page-1131#post-9050268

NOTE: There is a singular confirmed coordinates system of the bunch when searching via EDSM. That being said I still think Sol is important to accessing whatever Raxxla is ultimately.

View attachment 268699
Once again you embelish in order to support your 'theories'. Saramandarian pearls is a part of a cluster of "200 galaxies" in TAW world. See p15. In fact the universe of TAW has a rather peculiar topography..

• This is just an additional idea especially given two key factors: Open Clusters almost always get stretched and Frontier Developments went to considerable issues to model the galaxy. This means "pearls"/"jewels" could have several key meanings:

Potential Possibilities:
  • Globular Clusters
  • Open Clusters
  • Stellar Streams (can be either ripped apart globular clusters, open clusters, or dwarf galaxies).
  • Stellar associations and moving groups
The reason I say this is the Milky way has quite the collection of necklaces.. (image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stellar_streams#Milky_Way_streams). This may very well explain TAW's mention of galaxies / sectors (as these in a way could be both). The other possibility is stellar associations and moving groups: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearby_stellar_associations_and_moving_groups

1634239798692.png

Once again you embelish in order to support your 'theories'. Saramandarian pearls is a part of a cluster of "200 galaxies" in TAW world. See p15. In fact the universe of TAW has a rather peculiar topography..
Not saying it is.. there are actually many references in the Milky Way that would fit jewel/gem/pearl. It was one of the more obvious ones. No certainty there, just guesswork about connections. It would be nice if there were fewer possibilities. That said see this attachment for why I think there is an exceptionally strong lore case for Sol.

Attachments

• Unified Theory of Raxxla v5 The Sol-centric Revision(1).pdf
    595.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
So it isn't a traditional lock (though considering this game's obsession with Chthonic gods/goddesses and Lunar gods/goddesses it wouldn't surprise me if the moon is key to the lore ultimately). That said I swear it mentioned permit on the description panel (will get a screenshot when I play next).
It non-landable nature has a simple explanation - fd are in a pinch due to game design. They want the moon to look right from space, but they have no way to make it render right on the ground with the game engine which is entirely procedural, therefore they cant make it landable.

The first Elite itself used the term Galaxies to describe areas that are within the current Elite Dangerous galaxy… i dont think it impossible that the Saramandara Pearls could have been reconstrued as a star cluster to fit in as well.
Especially as the pearls are supposed to be the home of the raxxlans (according to TAW)…. And raxxla is supposed to exist in game…

The first Elite itself used the term Galaxies to describe areas that are within the current Elite Dangerous galaxy… i dont think it impossible that the Saramandara Pearls could have been reconstrued as a star cluster to fit in as well.
Especially as the pearls are supposed to be the home of the raxxlans (according to TAW)…. And raxxla is supposed to exist in game…
agreed, but TAW itself doesn't say they are in the Milky way. sure some reinterpretation is possible.

So it isn't a traditional lock (though considering this game's obsession with Chthonic gods/goddesses and Lunar gods/goddesses it wouldn't surprise me if the moon is key to the lore ultimately). That said I swear it mentioned permit on the description panel (will get a screenshot when I play next).
I don't have the source for this at this time, however I was under the impression that the moon is not landable because FD wanted to model it exactly (well, as accurately as possible). Because of that I guess they've not had time to do it. I don't think there's much more to it than that. IIRC the information about this stretches back to the very early days of development, possibly during the first alpha/beta, but I might be wrong.

The description panel says, This location requires a permit. There is a Moon permit in ED. It's just not possible to obtain. I don't know why they have skipped the red arc on the Moon, in the system map?

I’ve recently purchased a second account (discount on PS4 at 77%).

Thread 'Elite Dangerous on sale for £4.59 PS4'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-on-sale-for-4-59-ps4.591530/

But unlike my main PC account I won’t be role playing, just tooling about, but I will be endeavouring to ‘follow the missions’ and see where they take me, to play not grind, and avoid falling into complacent human behaviour; at least to approach the game with a fresh perspective…

Because by their own admission they ‘got it wrong’ and mis-understood player behaviour, intending players to follow the missions…

This fresh start has brought back memories of the early days when I first began playing the game, when we didn’t have as many answers and there weren’t many instructions. And this brought me to ‘permits’.

Now part of me still believes that the Polaris permit can be unlocked, and might be the location of the Dark Wheel at least, because last time I looked it said ‘Polaris permit’ not ‘Unknown permit’.

Logically this gives the ‘obvious’ impression, to new players at least, that such permits can be obtained!

Some interpret this similar to an ‘unknown permit’ and isn’t obtainable, but without confirmation, I don’t believe it is.

*edited: FD have confirmed the system is inaccessible - see next post but 2.

Looking at this with a fresh perspective (albeit a little flavoured) by their own instructions FD give the indication to new players at least, that all ‘named’ permits are accessible!

Of course FD have not been 100% clear on this, so there is the possibility there exists permits which simply cannot be opened (eg lore etc) or that said requirements are very high or very precise; and no one to date has figured out where this permit is…so maybe it’s not obtainable - I won’t rule that out either.

But it doesn’t confirm its not out there, and if there are ‘other’ types of locks in game, then FD really ought to confirm they’re existence, or at least describe them differently or correctly, such as ‘unknown’; otherwise by their own definition they are misleading players who might seek to unlock them and naively invest their time tilting at windmills.

I appreciate FD don’t want to hold hands and give the game away and I’ve always appreciated that, but still it’s simply poor communication on their part if they are applying unobtainable locks and not describing them accordingly. If we go off their public statements then logically ‘Polaris’ is obtainable, albeit likely the prerequisites are very specific (and not tied to a narrative)…

Under this ‘fresh start’ I’ve since submitted a customer service enquiry, a vain attempt to seek clarification, which I may follow up with another, being as I am in a pedantic mood.

Im aware this post gives my hand away and I’m highly confident it will result in a non-commitment response but you never know…

C34A691A-4FE8-42CD-9118-B7B37451E39D.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve recently purchased a second account (discount on PS4 at 77%).

Thread 'Elite Dangerous on sale for £4.59 PS4'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-on-sale-for-4-59-ps4.591530/

But unlike my main PC account I won’t be role playing, just tooling about, but I will be endeavouring to ‘follow the missions’ and see where they take me, to play not grind, and avoid falling into complacent human behaviour; at least to approach the game with a fresh perspective…

Because by their own admission they ‘got it wrong’ and mis-understood player behaviour, intending players to follow the missions…

This fresh start has brought back memories of the early days when I first began playing the game, when we didn’t have as many answers and there weren’t many instructions. And this brought me to ‘permits’.

Now part of me still believes that the Polaris permit can be unlocked, and might be the location of the Dark Wheel at least, because last time I looked it said ‘Polaris permit’ not ‘Unknown permit’.

Logically this gives the ‘obvious’ impression, to new players at least, that such permits can be obtained!

Some interpret this similar to an ‘unknown permit’ and isn’t obtainable, but without confirmation, I don’t believe it is.

Looking at this with a fresh perspective (albeit a little flavoured) by their own instructions FD give the indication to new players at least, that all ‘named’ permits are accessible!

Of course FD have not been 100% clear on this, so there is the possibility there exists permits which simply cannot be opened (eg lore etc) or that said requirements are very high or very precise; and no one to date has figured out where this permit is…so maybe it’s not obtainable - I won’t rule that out either.

But it doesn’t confirm its not out there, and if there are ‘other’ types of locks in game, then FD really ought to confirm they’re existence, or at least describe them differently or correctly, such as ‘unknown’; otherwise by their own definition they are misleading players who might seek to unlock them and naively invest their time tilting at windmills.

I appreciate FD don’t want to hold hands and give the game away and I’ve always appreciated that, but still it’s simply poor communication on their part if they are applying unobtainable locks and not describing them accordingly. If we go off their public statements then logically ‘Polaris’ is obtainable, albeit likely the prerequisites are very specific (and not tied to a narrative)…

Under this ‘fresh start’ I’ve since submitted a customer service enquiry, a vain attempt to seek clarification, which I may follow up with another, being as I am in a pedantic mood.

Im aware this post gives my hand away and I’m highly confident it will result in a non-commitment response but you never know…

View attachment 268786
Hope you have a happy time following the missions! Yes, DB was quite adamant about people missing missions because they weren’t playing as FD expected (see my FD quotes link). Have wondered often if that is the way to find TDW & Raxxla. Is a customer service enquiry different from an Issue Report? Because the latter only stands a chance of being actioned if multiple people support it.

Top Bottom