The Rift is on sale for $399

I have a 1050ti and i managed to run elite at around 37FPS in VR ultra but that was with a DK2 so not sure how much its changed.

Last edited:
I will get it for that price for sure. It should be well worth the money regardless of few mentioned issues!

Screen door effect and not being able to easily read the fonts on the HUD.

I've been using a Rift with E:D starting with a GTX 970 and a DK2. With that setup, the screen door effect and font readability were big, annoying issues.

I now use a GTX 1070 with a CV1, and these issues are virtually gone. I can read everything easily, and the screen door effect is much reduced and hard to notice.

If you use a CV1 with a GTX 970, you will see a huge improvement from the DK2. You won't be able to turn the settings up to get it crystal clear, but it will still be good as long as you turn down the graphics settings. If you want to go ahead with the CV1 you'll do OK with the 970, but you'll want a 1070 or better to get the most out of it. Believe me, the screen door and readability problems are mostly a thing of the past from the DK2 days, the CV1 is really so much better as long as your rig can push it well enough.

Not with the GTX 970 and I wear glasses, bifocals... Mine are some very light weight frames that won't take much abuse.

I wear glasses too, you won't tear up your frames as long as you are careful when putting on the headset and removing it. The shape of the frames matter a lot though. My ordinary glasses are too wide, but I have an old pair of Ben Franklin glasses with prescription lenses and they fit perfectly. Small frames with round lenses are best. There are also some people out there making prescription lens inserts for the Rift, so that's an option too. You won't want to use bifocals with the Rift, and you don't need them, just ordinary single focus lenses. You won't need to see up close, everything is at a set distance far enough away for seasoned eyes.

Roomscale with the Rift is a nightmare though - and trust me, you'll want that soon enough.

Why would you want roomscale for Elite though? Or are you thinking of other games? Honestly I don't see the appeal of roomscale until they make the headsets wireless.

I've been playing in VR now since the very first Alpha and a DK1... it is still hands down the best gaming experience of my life and I play daily (for years now). You get to fly a spaceship! That's it... it's that simple.

YOU GET TO FLY A SPACESHIP!

I wear glasses too, you won't tear up your frames as long as you are careful when putting on the headset and removing it. The shape of the frames matter a lot though. My ordinary glasses are too wide, but I have an old pair of Ben Franklin glasses with prescription lenses and they fit perfectly. Small frames with round lenses are best. There are also some people out there making prescription lens inserts for the Rift, so that's an option too. You won't want to use bifocals with the Rift, and you don't need them, just ordinary single focus lenses. You won't need to see up close, everything is at a set distance far enough away for seasoned eyes.

I've played using prescription lenses since VR lenslab did their kickstarter. Couldn't play without them, despite some people being disappointing by them, they have made my VR experience almost perfect!

Glasses wearer here - I went to specsavers here in the UK and bought their smallest framed £25 pair I could find (helped that they had my prescription as I used them last time I bought a 'proper' pair of spex). They were called the Garry or somesuch - hideous things, but under the HMD who can see eh? Any road up, these fitted nicely in the rift and were good, but I still found getting the HMD on and off a little awkward - then I remembered the second pair from that last proper trip - must have been a 'two for one' offer I guess. These had bigger frames and not at all suited to wearing inside the rift - until I took the arms off. Now the lenses and front bit of frame fit nicely in the rift, the HMD goes on easy and because there's no arms I don't notice I'm wearing them. So, if you've got a spare pair kicking around, try taking the arms off and trying them in the rift - if it doesn't work for you, put the arms back on and nothing's lost :)

970 will be fine for it, but because you have glasses that probably will cause issues.

Ben Franklin's (all you need is a distance lens as mentioned) are ideal for those that can't wear contacts. I like the Airflow weekly disposable contacts myself.
The Ben's advantage also includes light weight. The VRLens Labs can be distorted for high prescriptions in particular and can have some fitting issues. VR Cover (same company) also make an extended faceplate and foams that could help a tight fit, If you make a new set of Ben's it is best to take your HMD with you for fitting. A large head can still make the fit tight and as you will likely want to peak and pop up your HMD more than one would think and loose fit is advantageous. None of this would deter me from the experience of VR.

My regular glasses worked mostly OK, except that it would press my glasses into the nose-bridge, and leave a deep line in my skin, so I started putting a small piece of craft foam there to absorb the pressure. But this also resulting in the lenses of my glasses scuffing up the Rift lenses, since that was the point of contact.

My solution was to get a set of the pop-in lenses from VR Lens Lab, made for the Rift HMD. They have some spherical distortion, but otherwise they're perfect.

My regular glasses worked mostly OK, except that it would press my glasses into the nose-bridge, and leave a deep line in my skin, so I started putting a small piece of craft foam there to absorb the pressure. But this also resulting in the lenses of my glasses scuffing up the Rift lenses, since that was the point of contact.

My solution was to get a set of the pop-in lenses from VR Lens Lab, made for the Rift HMD. They have some spherical distortion, but otherwise they're perfect.

The spherical distortion (barreling) comes from the lenses being mounted in the convex (backwards). For those wishing to understand flip your glasses over and look through your glasses from the opposite side. The stronger the prescription, the worse the affect. I couldn't adjust to it and what little adjusting I did then affected my normal wearing of glasses. If they still offer a full refund they are worth a shot, though.

Last edited:
The spherical distortion (barreling) comes from the lenses being mounted in the convex (backwards). For those wishing to understand flip your glasses over and look through your glasses from the opposite side. The stronger the prescription, the worse the affect. I couldn't adjust to it and what little adjusting I did then affected my normal wearing of glasses. If they still offer a full refund they are worth a shot, though.

That's a great suggestion, actually. Flipping your glasses over and looking through the front of them gives you a good idea of what to expect.

VR Lens Lab also offers a set of frames for the lenses, to allow you to wear them instead of attaching to the HMD. I didn't see if those are also convex to your eye though. Maybe they mention somewhere?

Top Bottom