The S.H.E.P.A.R.D. MISSION: Elite Dangerous Deep Space Exploration

Yesterday I didn't realize how much I missed exploring. What a difference a day makes! Now if I can just find a commander at the last minute to offload a few modular terminals onto. It seems almost criminal to just sell them considering how much trouble some people have in finding them.

I can see you've put a lot of work and thought into this, well done. :) I won't be coming this time but would love to go on a much shorter expedition in the future if you're offering them.

Congratulations all SHEPARD cmdrs we have now successfully been travelling for more than 24 hours, arrived at Waypoint 1, and have travelled a collective 100,000ly! Please take some time exploring the area around the Orion Nebula, as there are many great sights (5-6 nebulae) around the nebulae cluster. We dont, however, have much time in this area. In fact Leg-1 of SHEPARD was intentionally short for two reasons - it is very near the bubble so many commanders have already been here, and there are not many undiscovered astronomical anomalies. While there is no official Basecamp for WP 1, we do have a suggested landing area below to land for the night:

Q2cUDvW.jpg

For those of you interested in a challenge, there is an exciting Point of Interest on the way between WP-1 and WP-2. A Carbon Star with 2 ringed rocky planets rotating in binary, this system is also loosely known as Hades Edge. The planets are so close to their parent star that landing prooves to be quite difficult, as ships' systems tend to overheat. The view is absolutely amazing, like entering upon the depths of hell, this fiery inferno is asrtonomically unique, and offers one of the most exciting places in the galaxy. This is not a system for the faint of heart - it is difficult to get to, can run hot landing, and has high g planets. The first 2 planets have the materials needed for jumponium and we recommend the following landing site on Planet 2: 40.1854 // -27.6915. To get to this system travel back to Betelgeuse and then follow the checkpoints below:

BetelGeuse > HD 60279 > OUTOTZ ZL-B C27-1 > HD 49368

Our first official Basecamp is at Waypoint 3 on November 10 - BASECAMP 1 - Mount Custard: [NGC 4463 Sector RY-R E4-5 3A] -28.00 // 154.00. There will be an SRV climb / race to the top of Mount Custand departing a three different times every 4 hours. No need to sign up, just show up at the basecamp coordinates at whatever time works for you: 18:00 UTC (Nov 10) / 22:00 UTC (Nov 10) / 02:00 UTC (Nov 11).

FOR ALL INFORMATION on WAYPOINTS and BASECAMPS, please refer to the Shepard Expedition Page on EDSM: https://www.edsm.net/expeditions/summary/id/13/name/S.H.E.P.A.R.D.+Mission

Godspeed, and see you all at Waypoint 2 on November 8!!!

Hello all,
this is Commander Kerenn "Two Jumps" Vatueil, of the Fuel Rats.
You may know me as one of the co-leaders of this Shepard Expedition, and as the Reverse Scout who started on WP37 and is going to pass by all Waypoints in decreasing order. At least that was the plan, until...
I stopped at WP31, just before heading to WP30 (Sagittarius A*), and thought to myself. Hey, Jaques is just a few jumps away and I'm the one responsible for his "big jump"... I should go pay him a visit and give him my regards. So here I am, jumping my merry way on a Black Hole Highway (Details to follow) when I suddenly notice something...

My Canopy is cracked. There are fissures running from the top, shards barely holding together at the bottom...
For those of you who don't know me very well, let's just say that I haven't got a single clue how jumponium works ; I haven't had any engineering done, ever ; and I couldn't tell you what an AFMU is if my life depended on it.
(Here is my build : https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFfliddsnf5----------3c04F1v6432f2i.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ== )
I take a look at the side panel, Canopy is at 79% and holding.
I take a look at the Galmap ; 6415 LY to go.
So here's what's going to happen, folks :
I am going to continue my merry way along the Black Holes (got three of them in a very interesting triangle pattern right in front of my eyes), Safety be damned. I am no lone martian, nor is my name Robinson. But I've acquired a particular set of skills over the course of many jumps ; a set I am willing and able to use. You can bet on either my success or my demise, but rest assured... I will find you, and I will come to collect.

Here's the Leaderboard :
Alec Turner - Survival - ???
Kerenn - Survival - More than a month of Exploration Data with 1000+ first discovered, so far.
Paul Kavinsky - Demise - 1 Limpet Drone.
SoulHunterTM (#54) - Demise - 1 Tellurium.

Last edited:
Hello all,
You may know me as one of the co-leaders of this Shepard Expedition, and as the Reverse Scout who started on WP37 and is going to pass by all Waypoints in decreasing order. At least that was the plan, until...
[...]
Here's the Leaderboard :
Kerenn - Survival - More than a month of Exploration Data with 1000+ first discovered, so far.

Hope you have enough ducktape with you to keep that canopy together. :p

Hello all,
I stopped at WP31, just before heading to WP30 (Sagittarius A*), and thought to myself. Hey, Jaques is just a few jumps away and I'm the one responsible for his "big jump"... I should go pay him a visit and give him my regards. So here I am, jumping my merry way on a Black Hole Highway (Details to follow) when I suddenly notice something...

My Canopy is cracked. There are fissures running from the top, shards barely holding together at the bottom...
For those of you who don't know me very well, let's just say that I haven't got a single clue how jumponium works ; I haven't had any engineering done, ever ; and I couldn't tell you what an AFMU is if my life depended on it.
(Here is my build : https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/0p0tdFfliddsnf5----------3c04F1v6432f2i.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ== )
I am going to continue my merry way along the Black Holes (got three of them in a very interesting triangle pattern right in front of my eyes), Safety be damned. I am no lone martian, nor is my name Robinson. But I've acquired a particular set of skills over the course of many jumps ; a set I am willing and able to use. You can bet on either my success or my demise, but rest assured... I will find you, and I will come to collect.

Here's the Leaderboard :

Hell, if Erimus can get back from 65,000ly with a cracked canopy I'm sure you can manage 6,400. I'm betting you make it.

[video=youtube;Pa-p381ITbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa-p381ITbo[/video]

Last edited:
Hello all,

Here's the Leaderboard :
Alec Turner - Survival - ???
Paul Kavinsky - Demise - 1 Limpet Drone.

live dangerously :)

Screenshot-Original.png

get some repairs and hot foot it back out, i trying to catch you all up again after my incident - not far behind

if only we could "engineer" some weapons into AMFU repair lasers this would be awesome and add another role to expeditions!

Last edited:
Tonight is our scheduled arrival at Waypoint 4 - While this is not an official basecamp, we have scheduled two meet-ups for Shepard Cmdrs to gather and mingle: CSI-61-15434 [4th planet - the one with rings at 15.000, -7.300] We will have two times for rendevous 22:00 UTC and 02:00UTC tonight. Please note, due to many unforseen circumstances, about 1/4 of the fleet will not be able to attend this Waypoint. That being said, most cmdrs making their way back from the bubble are aiming to meet the remainder of the fleet at our next official basecamp 2 - this Friday [BluuJay's Crater - ETA CARINA IR-W D1-18 4 - 54.910 // 126.569]. See you soon!

Below is a questionnare regarding meet-up times for cmdrs. This form is used to fill out available / preferred meet-up times for S.H.E.P.A.R.D. Basecamps. Beginning with Leg-2, all waypoints and basecamps are either on Tuesdays or Fridays. To make it easier to find times for each cmdr to attend at least one time per basecamp, please fill out your 'typically' available times for both Tuesday and Friday - as well as your PREFERRED meet up time for Tuesday and Friday.

https://goo.gl/forms/KBpiSWVtbSTA3lKu1

Congratulation all SHEPARD Commanders. We are now almost 2 weeks into the Mission, and have reached Basecamp #2! In honor of this occasion, I wish to share with you a few announcements.

1 - Episode 1 of The SHEPARD Chronicles has been transmitted and released: https://youtu.be/xyGj46wbkOg

2 - The BaseCamp Schedule Poll results have been calculated. Henceforth, all initial basecamp rendevous will take place at 20:00-22:00 UTC and 02:00 UTC. Please be sure to attend at least one per basecamp.

3- Thirdly, I have added a new catagory to the SHEPARD Exploration Challenge 'Universal Cartographic Record Breaker', which is a chance to find an asrtronomical entitiy that breaks any existing Record. This is after all a science expedition. Hopefully, and this is the aim, that we as a collective could shatter a bunch of records and really make SHEPARD stand out in the history of Exploration https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1pBxDKthIYugbtoDBi-rb5vMET6zTwIri4rrFnj6j2hc/edit?usp=sharing

SHEPARD MISSION UPDATE: Greetings Shepard cmdrs! Firstly, I would like to congratulate all of you for making it to waypoint 7 and completing Leg-1 (a little under a week ago). The last portion of Leg-1 was really a tough fragment of the Shepard Mission, covering almost 13,000ly in one week... unfortunately this left many commanders behind - myself included. The Shepard fleet has been a little more spread out than many of my previous expeditions.... No need to worry, however, the first few weeks of Leg-2 is a much slower pace more conducive to deep exploration. That being said, those cmdrs who are on schedule have a few weeks to spend some time researching the finer features of the Scutum-Centaurus Arm, while those who are a little behind have PLENTY of time to catch up! As such, we have decided that Waypoint 10 // Basecamp 4 is an excellent place to reunite the fleet! Our next basecamp - number 4 - takes place more than a week from now on December 6th in the Eock Bluae Nebula. We would really like to get the entire fleet to catch up and meet at this location by December 6th - reuniting the fleet. If you are behind, you should have plenty of time to get to Waypoint 10 by December 6th. We currently have two commanders scouting locations for an amazing basecamp here - once they have found an amazing location we will release location details. Many commanders have already abandoned the mission, so it would be nice to get those of us dedicated to the Mission together before the push to Beagle Point.

1) Many of you have noticed that there are different waypoints listed on EDSM than on the Mission PDF. There are many reasons for this - but please be sure to visit both - that way you progress will be tracked by EDSM. One of the reasons is that EDSM did not have all the waypoints logged in their system already, making it impossible to list it as a waypoint... So please, be sure to visit both systems at given waypoints (you will also notice in the text description I wrote for each waypoint - those with two systems will have it listed differently....[for example WP9)

2) And finally, I would like to simply apologize for my absence over the last week. Many of you already know that I lost all the video footage I had taken from the expedition between our launch and WP5, which not only caused me heartaches and headaches, but cost me some time trying to recover ANY of this lost data. I was able to get a few videos back, and had a friend return to WP1-3 to take some more footage for the videos.... Secondly, I had many family duties over the Thanksgiving Holiday in the States, and also got quite ill for a few days, finally getting better. All in all this collectively cost me about a week of playing time and minding the forum / discord. My apologies.

3) Please note that over the next few days I will clean up EDSM, removing inactive Cmdrs, trying to resolve the duplicate Sol Waypoint problem, and adding dates to all wayppoints, not just basecamps. Expect improvements soon. Also, I am hoping to release the Shepard Chronicle Episode II video sometime within the next week. And, finally, and I mean finally this time, I am working on a ‘Shepard Science Report - Issue I’, that will cover some of the scientific findings of Leg-1. The aim is to release a science report for each leg. So, after reading the first report, be thinking about some information that you might want to include in subsequent reports for Leg-2, 3, etc.... [Be weary though as YOU will be expected to write any of YOUR contributions!!!]

As always, your fleet leader Cmdr Parabolus reminding you to fly safe cmdrs...

Hello CMDRs,

I'm going to leave the expedition for a few days, maybe I'll be back in time to arrive at Beagle Point on December 25.
On my way to Jaques Station I found a planetary nebula near the Great Annihilator, the first discovered by me.
I would like to call it MOURAO NEBULA, in honor of one of the greatest Brazilian astronomers, and researcher at the National Observatory in Rio de Janeiro, where I studied Astronomy, Ronaldo Rogério de Freitas Mourão (25 May 1935 - 25 July 2014).

- Desired Name of the submission : Mourao Nebula
- Poin-of-interest (POI) type : Planetary Nebula (Neutron Star and Class A Star)
- Nebula Reference: KYLOALN PS-T E3-5576
- Description of the phenomenon : Planetary Nebula with neutron star and Class A Star separated by 36.22AU
- Screenshot(s): http://imgur.com/a/DBidA

Sorry, but the discoveries made by the members of this expedition will be included in EDSM.NET or did I post this in the wrong place?

Good trip!

Great Find!!!! I've never found a planetary nebula yet...

Sorry, but the discoveries made by the members of this expedition will be included in EDSM.NET or did I post this in the wrong place?

Good trip!

While the stars we find will automatically update on EDSM, Points of Interest, Nebula, etc, will have to be manually entered into the Galactic Mapping Project.... I will submit your find to EDSM and the Galactic Mapping Project.

Top Bottom