General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Some puzzling, but nevertheless positive, developments in the US. Earlier today Trump played down the needs for ventilators:

Following this statement the mayor of NYC responded with:

Fortunately this exchange of ideas have resulted in a more pro-active approach:

Not 100% convinced this is the ideal way to get this going (also please ignore he tagged the wrong account again, it should have been #GM, #generalmotors is an amateur account unrelated to the corporation), but it certainly seems that there is now a shared belief that there is an urgent need for ventilators. Ventilators will literally save lives (and this is one of the few times you can say something literally saves lives) so lets hope production ramps up pronto.

Perhaps Boeing could make ventilators as well, as nobody will be rushing to buy their planes until the 737 Max blunder is forgotten...

Last edited:
@jasonbarron:

Just out of interest : have you ever worked with sick, old, or care needing people ? Did you ever, in your Life, have to decide whether a person lives, or dies ?

p.s.: I am still eagerly awaiting your disclosure of the superduper secret knowledge and explanation you claim to have ( which you already announced a few pages ago ) . I take it you will let us know after it has happened, as to not spoil the surprise ?
No, no experience with the elderly. Yes to the second part, and I'll add that I've dealt with my share of death. Not sure what the point is, really, and I don't know what you're getting at at all with that last bit. What I DO know is that you're coming off very snotty. I take it that your whole "we have to stick together and fight this thing my brothers!" was a crock of excrement? That doesn't surprise me at all to be honest.

I'm going to go have dinner and watch a movie with my wife and kids. Have a nice evening.

Perhaps Boeing could make ventilators as well, as nobody will buy their planes for a while anyway until the 737 Max blunder is forgotten...

In another Thread, I was suggesting that maybe Dyson's vacuum cleaners could be rigged to work as ventilators....maybe UK could call up Dyson and ask to switch production ?

@jasonbarron:

Just out of interest : have you ever worked with sick, old, or care needing people ? Did you ever, in your Life, have to decide whether a person lives, or dies ?

p.s.: I am still eagerly awaiting your disclosure of the superduper secret knowledge and explanation you claim to have ( which you already announced a few pages ago ) . I take it you will let us know after it has happened, as to not spoil the surprise ?
I’m going to hazard a guess by your post that you do. Maybe..
So under present conditions how do you decide whether to save the sick, old, care needing or anyone else that has a long and productive live ahead of them? Someone is going to be upset with the decision but what is best for the future of society?

Have you?

Yes, starting at the age of 20 . And I homecared for my mother ( as long as it was still possible ) during her last year when cancer was eating her up, when I was 35 . I literally watched her dieing for a Year . Her last 12 days or so, I spent any minute I was able to in her hospital room, because she did not want to be alone . They did even have a Bed set up for me.

Why ?

Perhaps Boeing could make ventilators as well, as nobody will be rushing to buy their planes until the 737 Max blunder is forgotten...
In this case let's hope that the ventilators will be of better quality than the manufacture of the 737 Max.

:)

-----------------------------------------

😷

I guess it will start sinking in when New York starts to explode...I am metaphorically holding my breath for the day when a sufficient number of well armed people find out that people are being left to die in THEIR hometown, in THEIR homecountry .

Just everyone remember, the last time several thousand USAmericans died on USAmerican soil, War was started, and legislation been put in place in manymany countries that have changed our personal lifes, and inhibitated our freedom and privacy to no end.
You are really going to drag that kind of an argument into this and brandish that flag in your sig

Potential shortage of reanimation drugs to come. Curares, hypnotics, corticoids, antibiotics are already in high tension, warn doctors in Paris.

:(

---------------------------------------

😷

Last edited:
It is a sad state of society that people are happy to sacrifice the lives of future generations so they can continue to live

Life does not evolve and survive if it is shackled to the past

The individual having an indefinite future doesn't imply either of these things.

If anything, it's the transient nature of individual lives that keeps humanity shackled to the past. By the time each generation has learned what the prior one knows, they are already on the way out. We've been repeating the same set of mistakes, going through the same basic motions, for at least ten thousand years. Progress could have been so much faster if so much wasn't lost with each passing generation. If anything future lives would be enriched from access to those who came long before.

Regardless, even if I believed indefinite existence equated to sacrificing future lives or being shackled to the past (and I most certainly do not), I wouldn't believe it was right to sacrifice an actualized, extant, individual for some undefined future potential.

The individual having an indefinite future doesn't imply either of these things.

If anything, it's the transient nature of individual lives that keeps humanity shackled to the past. By the time each generation has learned what the prior one knows, they are already on the way out. We've been repeating the same set of mistakes, going through the same basic motions, for at least ten thousand years. Progress could have been so much faster if so much wasn't lost with each passing generation. If anything future lives would be enriched from access to those who came long before.

Regardless, even if I believed indefinite existence equated to sacrificing future lives or being shackled to the past (and I most certainly do not), I wouldn't believe it was right to sacrifice an actualized, extant, individual for some undefined future potential.

There is a saying : A man who does not know his past, has no future . It is true, as well as a metaphorical lesson .

The families of those who succumbed to the virus in the central Chinese city, where the disease first emerged in December, were allowed to pick up their cremated ashes at eight local funeral homes starting this week. As they did, photos circulated on Chinese social media of thousands of urns being ferried in.
- Bloomberg news

🇨🇳
How odd.
The official figures are rather different.

I suffer from respiratory issues. The whole system is linked. Masks and goggles are expedients. You need a full environment suit to be sure.

One reason I'm hiding out.

Just remember guys, it will pass.
This isn't permanent.

Got called out for a pneumonia today. Old guy, age 80 plus.
Home family asked me not to go. That was a new one for me; won't be the last.

When my limited stock of disposables are gone, we will have to reconsider.
You are right.... it will pass. It's the uncertainty of everything now that is throwing society into a spin.

Because you seem to have a very sound opinion on death, and seem in conflict with other opinions here (I'm not going there).

Death; yeah, I've seen a lot of that. And for everyone, in the main, at some stage it's up close and personal.

From my perspective I understand more about the social and psychological impacts produced by this very unprecedented and tragic situation.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom