General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Chinese leadership might try to keep a lower profile on the world stage than usual, but they aren't just going to stop doing all the things they do that make them who they are. Nor do I think there is even a snowball's chance in hell of getting anything significant out of them through litigation. I do hope the increased scrutiny has some positive side-effects though.

Anyway, many other governments are at least as culpable for their own poor response to the initial outbreak, and since domestic litigation is generally more likely to see results, that's what I expect to see most of. Most of the governments in the world downplayed things to varying degrees, neglected to implement plans for just such scenarios, and fed their own people blatant misinformation. We shouldn't let this be downplayed either.

No it's not, and it wouldn't do anyone any good regardless. Even if military action wasn't doomed to disaster, it would be exactly the sort of external threat the CCP would need to make their populace forget about how oppressed they are, reducing the odds of beneficial changes happening any time soon.
Everyone but China was blindsided by this. Various countries around the globe fumbling the ball and struggling to deal with the pandemic as well as all of the armchair scientists, epidemiologists and masters of public & economic policy and pandemic response on this forum think they should have is in no way, shape or form comparable to the CCP's mishandling and outright lying of the origins and details of the coronavirus in the first place and to this very day. Not to mention STILL lying about crucially important information with a great big disgusting helping of the WHO aiding and abetting them. The suggestion is making me sicker than covid itself ever will.

@Synkreto nobody seriously and in their right mind thinks we should go to shooting war stance with China over this. Them taking fiscal responsibility is what the drift is.

Anyone know if there is a point where you can have anti bodies but not in sufficient amounts to gain immunity? Or is it binary: any amount of antibodies = good to go, so the only issue is finding a way to detect such low amounts?

I'll take a stab.
Tetanus shots have to be renewed every 10 years, as antibody titres fall, so YES, you can have antibodies but poor immunity. And NO, the quantity matters or we wouldn't need booster shots.

(Still can't understand how you are unable to get evaluated in the industrialized world. Pay somebody, and get your X-ray. )

Last edited:
Stopped off at a Chinese run grocery near the house, where all the workers have N95 masks, to buy scraps like shoelaces and gluesticks to make my homemade PPE.

Something is wrong with this picture. Those blokes are not in healthcare.

I'll tell you right off why this is: the workers from China never once said to themselves Oh, that's a Chinese problem, it'll never affect me, like my Admin did.

So they bought the kit that Admin now cannot get, despite my telling them back in January.

I have learned my lesson.

"We'll see if we can be of help. We've contacted all of Boris' doctors, and we'll see what is going to take place, but they are ready to go," Trump said during a press briefing with his coronavirus task force. "We're working with the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] and everybody else, but we are working with London with respect to Boris Johnson."

Got to say it's a real good thing that I don't get calls from useless er, the transAtlantic Special Relationship has gotten a little boost.

Got to say it's a real good thing that I don't get calls from useless er, the transAtlantic Special Relationship has gotten a little boost.
Yes, somebody working hard to manage an entire country filled with over 300 million people suffering the effects of a pandemic and offering his well wishes to another foreign leader is "useless." Unlike your post which is clearly ever so useful.

In a test tube, an old antiparasitic seems effective. It is widely used in animals, to treat parasites so your vet probably has in stock. No human trials done.

Also cats are getting the virus. We probably should avoid close contact while infectious.

The situation in Sweden starts to turn. The only European country to still enact few measures now sees it's per capita death toll rise to almost all its Nordic neighbours combined. With Stockholm hospitals starting to get in trouble.

I am totally shocked that their "intelligent distancing, we can treat our population like adults" technique is utterly failing.

I am totally shocked that their "intelligent distancing, we can treat our population like adults" technique is utterly failing.
Needing an adjustment isn't the same thing as utterly failing. And in the end the chaos of economic collapse is far more certain to negatively impact the people's of the world than anything the virus will do to us.

Herd immunity sounds like a great idea when deep in your ego you are sure you wont be the one making the ultimate sacrifice to make that immunity possible. Today Boris Johnson just became the star of his own Twilight Zone story.

There is certainly an element of irony to Johnson being in the ICU with COVID-19.

Boris Johnson is in ICU now, I read. Must be a bit serious.
At the age of 55, the British Prime Minister did not hesitate at the beginning of March, when the pandemic was already raging, to taunt the virus by claiming to continue to "shake hands with everyone, even the sick".

Reminds me of Trump, Bolsonaro who also played the clowns.

Sad but no comments ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

😷

Herd immunity sounds like a great idea when deep in your ego you are sure you wont be the one making the ultimate sacrifice to make that immunity possible. Today Boris Johnson just became the star of his own Twilight Zone story.
The worst part is that these guys (Johnson, Trump, Bolsonaro ...) take with them many other people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

😷

The situation in Sweden starts to turn. The only European country to still enact few measures now sees it's per capita death toll rise to almost all its Nordic neighbours combined. With Stockholm hospitals starting to get in trouble.

Indeed, Sweden and UK are the definitive proof that the herd immunity approach wasn't such a good idea.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom