General / Off-Topic The safest place

Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

The bush meat markets are incredibly skanky. Rare animals cost more due to the scarcity but because of the transport issues they are sold live to prove freshness and slaughtered on the spot. Kept in stacked cages not separated by species so its the perfect cross species breeding ground. Its unregulated and illegal so no animal welfare or cleanliness inspections at all and no paper trail.

Serving truly rare animals as food is a status thing for the super rich, so the cops don't dare touch it.

Believed to be the source of SARS, swine flu and covid 19.

The bush meat markets are incredibly skanky. Rare animals cost more due to the scarcity but because of the transport issues they are sold live to prove freshness and slaughtered on the spot. Kept in stacked cages not separated by species so its the perfect cross species breeding ground. Its unregulated and illegal so no animal welfare or cleanliness inspections at all and no paper trail.

Serving truly rare animals as food is a status thing for the super rich, so the cops don't dare touch it.

Believed to be the source of SARS, swine flu and covid 19.
It’s true, but the intensive farming methods employed by the west and their cheap meat demands means substandard quality and risk as well.

I'm not sure how things are going in other parts of the world, but one problem in the US that seems to be off most people's radar is the dwindling blood supply. In many areas, we're down to less than a day.

It’s true, but the intensive farming methods employed by the west and their cheap meat demands means substandard quality and risk as well.
I've been assured there's no link between the suspected origin in bush meat markets of the outbreak and the spread via meat packing plants elsewhere in the world beyond food being outside working lockdown restrictions and isolated incidents of poor hygiene.

I'm just not convinced though. Horsemeat "beef" and CJD don't give me much faith in the industry or the way its being regulated. Both of those were down entirely to saving money.

From 40,000 new cases detected per day, the United States could increase to 100,000 without new interventions to stem the Covid-19 pandemic, warned Tuesday Anthony Fauci, director of the American Institute of Infectious Diseases.

"I wouldn’t be surprised if we reached 100,000 per day if we don't reverse the trend," he said at a hearing in the U.S. Senate.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Looks like we have a riot developing in the capital... 🇹🇹

Yesterday, a policeman was shot. In response, they sent a heavily armed force into the area, raided, and killed 3 people. Looks like one of those was an innocent?

Edit:
Theres cellphone footage of the men surrendering, and then being shot. Police with grievances.
So now there are riots and people evaccing the city.

We have had this before. The same region rioted in 1990, and the army rapidly put it down. Things are nice and quiet in the sleepy South, where I live. There's no police around though as the force is being concentrated at the disturbance.

Update: fires, shots fired and grenades used vs the police are in the eyewitness reports. Nothing happening in my vicinity. It is cool, overcast and quiet.

Pandemic stress is boiling over up North. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
🇹🇹 Ok, so our latest figures are 9 active cases, all from abroad. Some were workers on cruise ships. 2 came from ?USA as deportees, and picked it up in confinement.

The national cases we have to take back from places that failed to contain it outnumber our total deaths. It is (as of now) still a completely foreign problem with no local spread.
How long can we keep that going? It's been 6 months, and our pantry is depleted finally. It's safe to go restock for now, riots excluded.

Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

Not really . Avian Flu could jump to humans in a German chicken pen .

This is not good. When the CDC says it's too far gone...
The only 2 approaches now, if that is true, would be to capitulate and bury the dead, or go full on Wuhan style totalitarian crackdown :no contact tracing or targeted ops, just blunt force isolation.

<- Not an epidemiologist. Not able to predict this outcome. Looking at uncontrolled spread in 330 million = 274 million infected to get 80% immunity. But immunity does not last past 3 months, so we have a decay rate operating = cumulative number infected at T minus 90 days.

At 0.1% case fatality that is 2.74 million dead. If that is one order of magnitude off, we get 274 thousand dead by the time it stops, not counting the decay rate. Both untenable. Something needs to get done to prevent this.

One of our re-opened library branches closed today, as one staff member tested positive. They are de-contaminating the building, etc...

We can expect this to go on a long, long time.

At 0.1% case fatality that is 2.74 million dead. If that is one order of magnitude off, we get 274 thousand dead by the time it stops, not counting the decay rate. Both untenable. Something needs to get done to prevent this.
<= Not an epidemiologist either, just an asthmatic who works retail, but has been tracking official numbers since this whole disaster started

Based on the numbers reported by the CDC, as well as the health department of my home state of Minnesota, the death rate seems to be about 2% of those infected... at least once we finally started doing anywhere near sufficient testing. This is based on the daily ratio of new deaths to newly identified infections.

Also, I think you initially meant 1%, not 0.1%.

My math is off, indeed. 1% is correct.

There is an "attempted coup" according to the Commissioner of Police. 72 arrests, one death: a pregnant woman. Sounds fishy.

The country is under attack from pregnant women?

The armed forces have squashed the disturbance, which seems to have been more of a vigorous protest against police extrajudicial executions. A number of Usual Suspects have been picked up, but there was gunfire, cars overturned and fires reported in the capital.

Nobody else seems to be seriously hurt. Hopefully it's done now.

Last edited:

The issue is more about the presence of wet markets with exotic animals and their lack of hygene. Such issue has been researched and documented for a considerable amount of time.

"Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. "- Wormtongue.

6 months.
It's already too late according to the CDC. But maybe doing something is better than not trying. Can't tell if this is a public health message, or some kind of internal political signal that is too subtle to get. Doesn't matter, it is the right message to send.

Masks are on sale here everywhere now. Seamstress home businesses are cranking out fabric masks to retail outlets. I bought a couple black/navy blue reversible ones, for ah ... fashion.

More good news for herd immunity.

Considering more and more knowledge/Data re.the possible effects - as well as the recent findings re. immunity - it is truly unbelieveable there are still people thinknig it is a good "strategy" .

It is SO abundantly clear - and interestingly, has been to people like WHO and firends from very early on ( this becomes very clear when one actually listens(ed) to them and thinks through their recommendations ) that the BEST and ONLY thing we have to do is drumroll prevent people getting infected, at all, as much as possible .
Not claiming they KNEW much - they did not claim that, either - but they at least definitely had a pretty clear understanding of "everything is possible" .

Last edited:
Top Bottom