General / Off-Topic The safest place

Not really . Avian Flu could jump to humans in a German chicken pen .
German chickens aren't in much contact with wild animals though. There is far less chance that they get the flu in the first place.

When it comes to EU agriculture, I would worry far more about the overuse of antibiotics than the risk of virus transfer.

Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

Bringing lots of exotic animals in close proximity to each other in unhygienic conditions is a problem. On the other hand, 20% of the world population lives in China alone, add India and such and it makes sense most virus come from China or Africa.

"Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. "- Wormtongue.

6 months.
It's already too late according to the CDC. But maybe doing something is better than not trying. Can't tell if this is a public health message, or some kind of internal political signal that is too subtle to get. Doesn't matter, it is the right message to send.
I haven't posted in this thread for ages. I respect the opinions aired, I get the news but I don't want to discuss the issue in depth; it's something we are all living with and that's the way it is.

What I can say though is that we've been lucky here, and I hope we know, and are grateful for, that.

So far things are o.k. (in a manner of speaking) although there is a second wave of outbreaks in another state.

But our measures have been pretty stringent (with exceptions or stuff-ups) and most people seem to want to do the right thing which is protect us all. Yes common sense can be problematic for some but, at least in my state, we have had the least reported cases and deaths and, nationally, we are doing much better than many, many other nation states.

The only message I get now is that this isn't over and won't be over for a long time....

It already attacks young people. It just doesn't kill them necessarily. We're looking at Kawasaki syndrome for some of the very young, increased risk of diabetes, permanent cardio-vascular damage (which may one day result in mortality) and now possible brain damage that may result in psychosis or metabolic issues. But I suppose that's an issue for the tomorrow version of themselves, now it's time to party!

It already attacks young people. It just doesn't kill them necessarily. We're looking at Kawasaki syndrome for some of the very young, increased risk of diabetes, permanent cardio-vascular damage (which may one day result in mortality) and now possible brain damage that may result in psychosis or metabolic issues. But I suppose that's an issue for the tomorrow version of themselves, now it's time to party!
They know it attacks them but because the media has been full of "but the young only get mild symptons in the vast majority of cases" the young don't regard this as a big enough problem. Of course authorities have to balance information to stop mass panic.

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

@DrTedros

60% of all #COVID19 cases so far have been reported just in the past month. We'll never get tired of saying that the best way out of this pandemic is a comprehensive approach. Not testing alone. Not physical distancing alone. Not contact tracing alone. Not masks alone. Do it all.
Everything is fine!

More to the point people, old and young and generally, should think about, and have concern for, others instead of their own pathetic self-interest.
My own self-interest is why I've only come into contact with anyone I don't live with once in the last five months. It's why I'm doing everything reasonably within my power to keep those I care about from exposing themselves unnecessarily.

I'm never going to have an honest concern for most other people, beyond their utility to me, but my self-interest keeps others a lot safer, makes me less of a threat, than most people's delusions of altruism.

If I cared more about other people, I'd be outside trying to save the world from systematic oppression by shooting police and setting fire to physical representations of the governments that employ them. Fortunately for just about everyone, I'm more interested in my own comfort.

It is very possible.

This virus is really vicious. And I would not be surprised if it evolves to attack young people.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
As part of my job, I've had to deal with some of this. I can tell you, I know of one man in his thirties, did triathlons, cycled, fit as a flea. He got it, he died. I spoke to a 92 year old lady, she got it and survived. There is something more going on here than age or fitness.

My own self-interest is why I've only come into contact with anyone I don't live with once in the last five months. It's why I'm doing everything reasonably within my power to keep those I care about from exposing themselves unnecessarily.

I'm never going to have an honest concern for most other people, beyond their utility to me, but my self-interest keeps others a lot safer, makes me less of a threat, than most people's delusions of altruism.

If I cared more about other people, I'd be outside trying to save the world from systematic oppression by shooting police and setting fire to physical representations of the governments that employ them. Fortunately for just about everyone, I'm more interested in my own comfort.
Well this is one of those occasions when taking steps to protect oneself from the virus also protects everyone else so that's all good then!

Well this is one of those occasions when taking steps to protect oneself from the virus also protects everyone else so that's all good then!
I think It's mostly ignorance and greed that threatens public health and safety, rather than simply prioritization of one's self. I'm not greedy (won't find me fighting over paper products) and I do try to stay informed...which makes me aware that what's good for most people is also in my best interest.

As part of my job, I've had to deal with some of this. I can tell you, I know of one man in his thirties, did triathlons, cycled, fit as a flea. He got it, he died. I spoke to a 92 year old lady, she got it and survived. There is something more going on here than age or fitness.
Blood types? Earlier in the thread I think type O copes better?

Top Bottom