General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No its not a good thing, they should have been better trained to stop them doing it in the first place and better supported so they'd be willing to step in to physically stop a colleague who was clearly out of control.
I'm sorry old friend. But that utopia you envision is simply a fantasy. Four degenerate people were swiftly brought to justice for their heinous acts. There will always be a certain amount of bad things that happen. What pulls us together as a community, society and nation is how well we react to such injustices. We don't always get it right, but by and large we do far more good then bad, and acting like the Floyd case is somehow commonplace and law enforcement is slaughtering people left and right along racial lines is, as I've pointed out earlier, extremely disingenuous. At best.

Afghanistan is a fine example of how that works, you “neutralize” one, you get 20 new combatants emerging, good luck with that, you better just nuke the country and be done with it.
You can tell who the academics are in this conversation. Most people from that walk of life simply don't have the background in gritty reality to appreciate some of the points being raised.

Last edited:
I take comfort in the fact that we've finally laid the mask of "muh science!" aside and are all just admitting that "science" has been replaced with "social opinion." I've always known it, but seeing it in the open finally is very refreshing

Last edited:
I take comfort in the fact that we've finally laid the mask of "muh science!" aside and are all just admitting that "science" has been replaced with "social opinion." I've always known it, but seeing it in the open finally is very refreshing

Where does it say 'social opinion'? I searched the page and found no matches, but you put it in quotes like it was something .. being quoted.

Were you equally concerned about crowds and protests when ya'll were rocking up to state houses to whine about wearing masks and shutdowns?
I know this is just a nastily worded insult, but I'll answer anyway: my position has been "let it rip" for months now. The sooner we all get this, the sooner we get back to living. My problem is with the double standard applied by those in charge, most especially health officials, who decried our peaceful protests while eagerly cheering on the BLM anarchy, rioting looting murders and general chaos. Personally, I don't find that very scientific. Of course I didn't get enough schooling to be conditioned to think with such a double standard, so you have to keep that in mind.

I need to refill my crazy pills.
Covid spread by "this" protest is fine, but by "that" protest is not.

Same thing over here. Any gathering with more than 10 people is disbanded by the police, there are still heavy restrictions in places of commerce. However, political parties / union rallies / protests with several thousands of people are allowed. Including an annual large fundraising music festival organized by the communist party (while all other music festivals are banned).

Result, most people here no longer give a damn, and the virus spread has now been rising consistently again for the past month and a tad, and even the public hospitals are dennouncing the official numbers to be under reporting the real number of confirmed new cases.

The only thing I know for sure is that I won't personally lose any more sleep over it, I'll keep myself and my family protected the best I can, and as for the rest qui sera, sera.

Last edited:
There is a widely held consensus among the medical community that letting it rip is in general a bad idea given even conservative estimates project millions of deaths if that was the case. However i've yet to see a consensus from the medical community that allowing protests to continue is a good thing.
Lolol. So, you just disregard the link I supplied literally stating that over a 1000 health officials endorse the protests? That's the "destruction of objective reality" I keep referring to right there

I used quotes to indicate paraphrasing.
So in effect that was your 'social opinion' on the post. Ok.

I think you have a fundamental problem distinguishing scientists (people, with beliefs and views) from science (facts, peer reviewed for veracity). They are not the same thing, but you seem to confuse them. Scientists are like everyone else in that they can have beliefs and views that you might not like. But that does not invalidate the scientific results they publish.

Lolol. So, you just disregard the link I supplied literally stating that over a 1000 health officials endorse the protests? That's the "destruction of objective reality" I keep referring to right there

The letter explains there are two competing health concerns in the US.

"Black people suffer from dramatic health disparities in life expectancy, maternal and infant mortality, chronic medical conditions, and outcomes from acute illnesses like myocardial infarction and sepsis. Biological determinants are insufficient to explain these disparities. They result from long-standing systems of oppression and bias which have subjected people of color to discrimination in the healthcare setting, decreased access to medical care and healthy food, unsafe working conditions, mass incarceration, exposure to pollution and noise, and the toxic effects of stress.[...]

While everyone is concerned about the risk of Covid, there are risks with just being black in this country that almost outweigh that sometimes. And the sad part is the group that is protesting for their rights are the same people who are already disproportionately affected by the disease," Hussein told CNN. "It's something they're doing because if they don't fight for this now, they may never be able to fight for it in the future, because while Covid is right now, and we don't know how long it's going to last, white supremacy and oppression has been a long way longer, and we can guarantee that it's going to continue if people don't do anything about it now."

The 'medical and scientific community' is a global entity, Jason. That means it includes 'places not part of the United States of America. In fact, most places on the planet are, believe it or not, not part of the USA is. The medical and scientific consensus is very clear: mass gatherings are not a good thing when it comes to the spreading of COVID19. Now, in the USA there is another health concern for a vast part of the population. So that means the USA has got to balance two problems and find the best solution for the local situation. That has nothing to do with 'medical consensus on gatherings during a pandemic'.

Finally, and as always: medical consensus is not based on open letters, blogs, opinion pieces or what your uncle said. I'm not sure how often this has to be explained, but medical/scientific consensus is based on peer-reviewed published scientific studies. You will not find many studies saying:"go mingle during a pendemic, its cool yo!". There is a clear medical consensus that that is not a good thing, in itself. How that should be balanced with other health concerns in a local context is something else, and has nothing to do with this consensus.

But we've been over this many times and it never quite sinks in, unfortunately.

So in effect that was your 'social opinion' on the post. Ok.

I think you have a fundamental problem distinguishing scientists (people, with beliefs and views) from science (facts, peer reviewed for veracity). They are not the same thing, but you seem to confuse them. Scientists are like everyone else in that they can have beliefs and views that you might not like. But that does not invalidate the scientific results they publish.

Exactly, but this has been discussed endlessly unfortunately. If someone wants to discuss science, they citate scientific works and link to scientific journals. If you link to CNN/FOX, youtube or some random blog you are discussing opinions which may or may not be driven by some scientific findings. Properly digesting scientific literature is not trivial though, and many people don't even have proper access to most journals to begin with. So we end up with cherry-picked stuff from the blogosphere to prop-up our opinions. Which tends to be not very enlightening or helpful if your goal is to figure out how stuff works. But its cool if you approach any topic from a 'culture wars' perspective where any random event is a new opportunity to score points for your team.

Oh well. Gotta catch a train, so have to go find my mask now. Ciao all!

Vitamin D may be a factor in COVID-19, but in developed regions, fortifying foods with vitamin D is common and supplements are readily available. No one in the modern world has low vitamin D levels without some degree of dietary or medical neglect...and both tend to be more common the further down the socioeconomic ladder you go..

The actual prevalence will appall you. Because everything you posted there is what we would logically expect.

In the United States, about 50% to 60% of nursing home residents and hospitalized patients had vitamin D deficiency. [8][9] Vitamin D deficiency may be related to populations who have higher skin melanin content and who use extensive skin coverage, particularly in Middle Eastern countries. In the United States, 47% of African American infants and 56% of Caucasian infants have vitamin D deficiency
Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532266/

Overall estimated rate of deficiency is around 42%. "Deficiency" being drawn at 20 ng/ml. 40 would be a normal level for (historical/ aboriginal)humans. So the sub par levels exist in yet another fraction of the population. Rates go up in winter. Because vitamin synthesis is slower as we age, it's also worse with age over 65.

This is why it pays to actually measure stuff that we figure is probably ok. Rates in the modern world are pretty bad. If you live in a wintery country, you can check your level with a low cost blood test. Or, just go ahead and supplement. Vitamin D is fairly safe, just don't guzzle the whole bottle in one go, and it will be fine.

A few hundred people forced their way into a gated community to protest, when they came to close to one of the houses the owners showed up with firearms, it could have gone bad really fast, first they had no training in handling the weapons, you could clearly see that, and they where scared. As I said it only take one spark to ignite this powder keg.

Yes, saw that. Bad situation.
Reports say the couple were "Personal Injury Lawyers", not exactly the typical self defense demographic. But nobody got hurt, so that's good.

Vitamin D deficiency in Germany :

Vitamin D deficiency is a very common vitamin deficiency (hypovitaminosis) in Germany, if not the most common one. According to a study by the Robert Koch Institute, > 50% of all Germans have been found to have insufficient levels of Vitamin D in the blood.

Getting a VitD overdose is almost impossible ( not at all as "common" as with for instance BeatCarotene/VitA ), adverse effects are very rarely observed . Combining it with K/K2 seems to be a goo Idea . I use the Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University as my standard resource for micronutrition Info :

It is pretty interesting to look at how nutrition deficiencies contribue to/cause health problems, symptoms and diseases, and how common those are in so called "developed" countries .

Last edited:
Many of us in Canada have vitD deficiency too.
After 50yrs old prescriptions start (more likely if your Dr is younger).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom