General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Even when you know this is coming, it's still depressing.

Yes and Cmdr metatheurgist also knew that it would come.

I expect it to hit 4000. They're running at a roughly 2% mortality rate. The infection rate has been 200K for a while now. Numbers don't lie. Throw in the extra that will die because their ICUs are flooded and that their DRs and RNs will probably just call it a day and it'll probably get to 6K. Nothing to worry about, just a mild flu.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Europe becomes the first region to record more than half a million deaths from Covid-19.

The 52 countries and territories of the European region - which extends east to Azerbaijan and Russia - have a total of at least 500,069 deaths.

In the last seven days, nearly 37,000 deaths have been recorded in Europe.

Tuesday, December 15, 6,800 deaths were recorded in 24 hours.

Nearly 6 in 10 deaths in the region have been reported in five countries: Italy, UK, France, Russia and Spain.

Europe is also the region with the most new daily infections in the world, with a current total of over 23 million reported cases.

Last week, more than 243,000 daily new cases were recorded there on average, almost a third of the total worldwide.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Gandalf the Grey recieves his shot:
The logistical efforts by delivery services in the UK and US are going very well.

My hospital called to confirm our delivery of MMR for tomorrow.
Edit: ok, they just arrived!

2 vaccinees wanted to know when they would be protected, after the first dose, which I really cannot answer with any certainty. It is a legitimately good question. Simply knowing that you are building cross immunity isn't enough, but it's as good as we can achieve.

Outside of the wealthy countries, concern about vaccine availability is building.
Here's South Africa press:

It's illegal to offer vaccines that are not approved by national regulatory agencies.

This is retarding the global response. What we need for faster uptake is a central WHO regulatory unit that can do the work ONCE, for everybody. This is a pipe dream. The reality is messy, granular, and stupid nationalism, and the expected hoarding/me-first approach is just going to slow the international recovery.

Last edited:
Haven't posted in this thread for quite a while, but:

To all those who still claim that Covid-19 is no worse than the flu, let's meet back here in early January (after Christmas and new year), and let's see if you still have that opinion.

Regarding the vaccines: Great stuff, but we still need to produce it, distribute it and vaccinate roughly 8 billion people. It won't be done in a month or two.

Take care, and support your healthcare personnel. They are under extreme pressure in many places, and on the northern hemisphere, January and February seems to become ugly.

The Swedish model is getting a tough assessment from its own leadership:

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven said he agreed with the king's remarks.
"Of course the fact that so many have died can't be considered as anything other than a failure," Mr Lofven told reporters.

Remember those "Be like Sweden!" signs in the American protests? Well those efforts have become a physical threat to local leadership for public health measures:

We cannot pretend here that this isn't politically intertwined with their disastrous current hospital situation. After all, we've seen in this thread individuals declare their gun supported hostility to any suggestion that they take sensible precautions. When ignorant fruitcakes with guns dictate public health policy in a mass death event, it's the same as Mao's Great Leap Forward.

If there is any consolation to be had in Sweden, at least they are not the USA. They may do stupid things, kill a lot of citizens etc, but they OWN it. Here we have the King saying they failed. And that is the first step to fixing it.

It isn't a political problem for which you need a a social philosophy. It isn't a threat to social order. It isn't about dominance, and who can make who do what.

It is just Biology.

... And the second step, is to change course:

:) Hope this saves some folks up there.

Our ICU is now completely empty, and nurses are getting time off this weekend. I brought in the last chest pain case 2 days ago, he's processed and off for further treatment elsewhere. X-Ray dept closed down today. Popped in for a minute just to give 2 vaccines, and that's it for the day.

Christmas is looking good down here, with the rum and chocolate and such in good supply. We will have another go at mince pies, vegetarianism has been deferred till after festivities, and there's going to be no shopping crush this year.

If only every ER unit in every hospital could do the same.

... And the second step, is to change course:

:) Hope this saves some folks up there.

Our ICU is now completely empty, and nurses are getting time off this weekend. I brought in the last chest pain case 2 days ago, he's processed and off for further treatment elsewhere. X-Ray dept closed down today. Popped in for a minute just to give 2 vaccines, and that's it for the day.

Christmas is looking good down here, with the rum and chocolate and such in good supply. We will have another go at mince pies, vegetarianism has been deferred till after festivities, and there's going to be no shopping crush this year.

If only every ER unit in every hospital could do the same.
I genuinely wish you a merry Christmas, please have a drink for me as all my Christmas and NYE bookings have been cancelled now we are entering tier 3 on Saturday

I genuinely wish you a merry Christmas, please have a drink for me as all my Christmas and NYE bookings have been cancelled now we are entering tier 3 on Saturday

I'll raise a glass in your direction forum friend. It's clearly a giant PITA trying to run any licensed venue in this situation.

My area went into tier 3 a couple of days ago.

A couple of us went for a beer Monday night pre tier 3 at 0001 Wednesday - we sat out the back in a well ventilated covered area and had a substantial meal - actually the best burger I've had for a very long time.

Then Tuesday we did the same at another local which didn't insist on a substantial meal so we just had a few beers.

I have to say I don't really get the substantial meal thing. Having a substantial meal while I'm drinking makes absolutely no difference to the amount I drink or the way it affects me - not really. When I'm too far gone I stop drinking - mostly, I skip rounds, nurse my beer etc. The meal really isn't the deciding factor unless I haven't eaten before going out which almost never happens.

I realise other people's mileage may vary.

The Tuesday pub chucked my mate a couple of free take home kegs that were just out of date , he's been getting takeaway from them for months during the original lockdown. He gave me one of them. It wasn't very nice beer but I appreciated the gesture.

Wishing you well sewerratuk. And everyone here :)
I haven’t access to Robins supply of reserve rum, but I’ve bought a bottle which I intend to drink next week and will toast all you guys here. It’s been a thread which has been informative and a helpful outlet for me. Cheers!

My bizniz has had a nosedive year too, all my clients have cut / cancelled projects;
my local venues which support grass roots musicians and performers along with all the associated technicians and craftsmen have been stuffed all year; it’s basically horrendous.
I don’t really see it improving any time soon either, given other events occurring soon in the uk.
I still count myself lucky though, there’s so many in more difficult situations, and globally we’re in the top percents for standard of living.

Last edited:
Prime Minister Boris Johnson evokes "a new strain" of coronavirus and decided to re-contain, as of Sunday, the south-east of England and London.
The UK has a variant of covid in the south that is more infective (70% more transmissible) and just as dangerous - I guess that's evolution.

I wonder if the UK will do the right thing and stop international travel? If the strain did indeed originate here then presumably we should try and keep it to ourselves - as we complained that China didn't manage with the original outbreak.

(Also, with 20/20 hindsight, another advantage of trying to eradicate the disease from a country is less chance for it to mutate. Ooops.)

The UK has a variant of covid in the south that is more infective (70% more transmissible) and just as dangerous - I guess that's evolution.

I wonder if the UK will do the right thing and stop international travel? If the strain did indeed originate here then presumably we should try and keep it to ourselves - as we complained that China didn't manage with the original outbreak.

(Also, with 20/20 hindsight, another advantage of trying to eradicate the disease from a country is less chance for it to mutate. Ooops.)
70% is very impressive.

The new variant has found other ways to spread ?

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

To answer myself ;) people in the most restricted ('tier 4') areas are indeed been told not to travel internationally. except for business ofc - as people on business are not infectious ...

Apparently the new variant 'binds more strongly' - so if you come in contact with it then you are more likely to get infected. I am no doctor 🤷‍♀️
If the hundreds / thousands of people contaminated with the new strain, have respected the barrier gestures (mask, physical distancing ...), this means that the new strain has found other ways to enter the host.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom