General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
re. Brazil rejecting Sptunik V, I just had a "Holy cannottypethisitwillbefiltered" moment...

@angie_rasmussen on twitter :

"The Sputnik V vaccine Ad5 vector is evidently replication competent. The makers apparently neglected to delete E1, so getting this vaccine means being infected with live adenovirus 5."

Thread as webpage ( no twitter required ):

Learn something new every day .
🤷‍♂️

Indeed.

So if I've got this right - in non expert terms.

They're using the adenovirus to trigger the immune response but instead of using a deactivated version which stops the adenovirus from progressing in itself they used a live version which can cause a full adenovirus infection?

Looking up adenovirus it doesn't seem to be particularly dangerous but getting a full infection is obviously an undesired outcome.

Indeed.

So if I've got this right - in non expert terms.

They're using the adenovirus to trigger the immune response but instead of using a deactivated version which stops the adenovirus from progressing in itself they used a live version which can cause a full adenovirus infection?

Looking up adenovirus it doesn't seem to be particularly dangerous but getting a full infection is obviously an undesired outcome.

It's genius.

It's a working infectious vaccine. Let's spray it at antivaxxers!

Our little vaccination drive exceeded expectations, with 42000 vaccines given out over a few days. The infection rate is alarmingly still early exponential, doubling every 2 weeks.

Police are being deployed to groceries to enforce proper observance of guidelines for month end crowds. Only one person per household permitted. This is pretty extreme stuff.

We are getting little clumps of deaths now, not just single ones. Blew through 10,000 total cases milestone yesterday. It is worrying.

Update on the AeroNabs thing. The spray of nanoantibodies could be used to clear virus environmentally indoors too. No clear indication of availability. It's the rental version of antibodies, apply ahead of time.

There's a low-tech nasal spray made of simple gelling agents that neutralizes spike proteins, also in development. Made of carageenan. Expected on shelves by summer. If you inhale cough droplets from a user, you get coverage too. It should work vs every variant, and pose no allergy risk.

It seems this might work against a big stack of viruses, the kind of thing we would need if H7N9 ever gets wild. That thing has 40% mortality

Update on the AeroNabs thing. The spray of nanoantibodies could be used to clear virus environmentally indoors too. No clear indication of availability. It's the rental version of antibodies, apply ahead of time.

There's a low-tech nasal spray made of simple gelling agents that neutralizes spike proteins, also in development. Made of carageenan. Expected on shelves by summer. If you inhale cough droplets from a user, you get coverage too. It should work vs every variant, and pose no allergy risk.

It seems this might work against a big stack of viruses, the kind of thing we would need if H7N9 ever gets wild. That thing has 40% mortality
I heard somewhere, that rinsing/washing the nose out with baby soap can help. Not sure how valid this is.

Thousands of maskless worshipers gather on the banks of the Ganges in April in Haridwar, northern India, to bathe during the Kumbh Mela ritual

View attachment 223439

Despite this explosive health situation, the faithful interviewed seem confident, and ensure to be cautious. “We have disinfectant in all of our pockets. We cover ourselves the face with a mask twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week ”, says Sumit Mathur, a pilgrim. "In view of the Covid situation, many security measures have been put in place here," adds Vipin Aggarwal, another faithful.

:unsure:

😷
the risk of bacteria infections is probably 1000 time higher in that river than getting the virus

the risk of bacteria infections is probably 1000 time higher in that river than getting the virus
Due to the general way things are in that part of the world. Most of them are basically immune, to most of that stuff. I do hope that cannot be seen as racist. :D

Nope I've been in that part of the world a lot and at the beginning I was sick by just walking into a restaurant :sick:
To paraphrase Rajesh Koothrappali from The Big Bang Theory. "I come from a country, where no one has had a solid bowl movement in decades."

Errr
I had a Swedish gf in my 20’s and she always came down with a bug when returning to the uk.
They thought our uk hygiene was pretty slack - it’s all relative.
All that bleach use has worsened our immune systems :)
And btw, every Indian diet I’ve come across has been far healthier than Macdonald’s.

Errr
I had a Swedish gf in my 20’s and she always came down with a bug when returning to the uk.
They thought our uk hygiene was pretty slack - it’s all relative.
All that bleach use has worsened our immune systems :)
And btw, every Indian diet I’ve come across has been far healthier than Macdonald’s.
It used to be, that if you drank the water in Spain, you could come out in boils. Apparently. This was because the water there, was full of minerals etc. and our pale British bodies, were not used to it. Well, that was what my stepdad told me.

Nope I've been in that part of the world a lot and at the beginning I was sick by just walking into a restaurant :sick:

When I visited India for the 2nd time, the first kind of breakfast/diner I went in, I glanced around and watched everybody drinking the TapWater from those tin cups they use(d) there a lot . Thought a little bit . Decided to drink the TapWater, too .

I thought "probably, that diner would not be open today if people routinely got sick from drinking the TapWater ."

It worked .

Due to the general way things are in that part of the world. Most of them are basically immune, to most of that stuff. I do hope that cannot be seen as racist. :D

You seriously do not want a load of any of the malicious types of E.Coli entering your system . Seriously . Not .

You seriously do not want a load of any of the malicious types of E.Coli entering your system . Seriously . Not .
When I visited India for the 2nd time, the first kind of breakfast/diner I went in, I glanced around and watched everybody drinking the TapWater from those tin cups they use(d) there a lot . Thought a little bit . Decided to drink the TapWater, too .

I thought "probably, that diner would not be open today if people routinely got sick from drinking the TapWater ."

It worked .
You got lucky, we had a crew there of 50 something, 30% was sick and not able to work the first 2 weeks, all westerners then the situation got better, I've probably traveled to India more times than I got finger and toes, don't even remember but needed to change my passport every second year, and the first year was bad, then I was almost immune and could eat anything. I don't know when you was there however my first trip was back in the 70's.

You got lucky, we had a crew there of 50 something, 30% was sick and not able to work the first 2 weeks, all westerners then the situation got better, I've probably traveled to India more times than I got finger and toes, don't even remember but needed to change my passport every second year, and the first year was bad, then I was almost immune and could eat anything. I don't know when you was there however my first trip was back in the 70's.

I guess luck played some role . But I also observed some simple rules and insights .

Like when we got pretty hungry beofre leaving Bangalore by Bus . Once we made it out of the Bus "Station" ( about the size of a Euoprean airport XD ), we were looking around . Streets and corners lined with food vendors - restaurants, takeaways, anything . Watched 2 flatfoots walking into one of these and ordering food . I pointed and said to my travelcompanion "We will eat there ."

Exact same thing worked several 100s of kms away, in a smaller town, different UnionState, ( Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu ) . Wondering where I could get my first breakfast, I see an open Stall where a patrolman has - tea and biscuits ! Had my breakfast there every day .

🇹🇹 Trinidad and Tobago is closed until further notice.
Everything is locked down. No exceptions. Churches, temples, mosques, schools, bars, salons, restaurants, malls are all shut down.
Supermarkets will be available, under police supervision.
Flights to Tobago are restricted now.

Our exponential spike is not a catastrophe yet, that is about a month away. It is not going to be allowed to happen. They took the gamble to use stock of remaining vaccine to do First Doses for as many as we can reach. It won't even be 10% of the population, but that's it.

I'm going to restart MMR doses for anybody left out. That's fair, considering the emergency.

🇹🇹 Trinidad and Tobago is closed until further notice.
Everything is locked down. No exceptions. Churches, temples, mosques, schools, bars, salons, restaurants, malls are all shut down.
Supermarkets will be available, under police supervision.
Flights to Tobago are restricted now.

Our exponential spike is not a catastrophe yet, that is about a month away. It is not going to be allowed to happen. They took the gamble to use stock of remaining vaccine to do First Doses for as many as we can reach. It won't even be 10% of the population, but that's it.

I'm going to restart MMR doses for anybody left out. That's fair, considering the emergency.

Not liking this . At all . Dont know what else to say .

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom