General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No, that would be your underlying assumption. And in any case, no amount of underlying assumptions can make the statement "masks don't work" into a conspiracy theory in and of itself.

Sorry if I'm being a pedant, but I just don't like to see "conspiracy theory" being used as a synonym for "urban myth" or "falsehood" since that's not what it means. To go one step further (not relevant in this specific example), I also don't like seeing "conspiracy" being used to mean "conspiracy theory", when it has pretty much the total opposite meaning.
"Masks don't work" is a conspiracy theory. It doesn't matter if you don't like the term it's still an accurate one.

"Masks don't work" is a conspiracy theory. It doesn't matter if you don't like the term it's still an accurate one.
Okay, well if that's the level we're going for I'll just say that it doesn't matter if you think it's an accurate term, because it isn't one. Maybe you can reply with "yes it is" and whoever posts last wins?

Okay, well if that's the level we're going for I'll just say that it doesn't matter if you think it's an accurate term, because it isn't one. Maybe you can reply with "yes it is" and whoever posts last wins?
You could always try posting some sources as multiple people have already suggested to you. Unless you can do that the extensive verifiable sources that prove it's a conspiracy theory will stand 🤷‍♀️.

...it doesn't matter if you think it's an accurate term, because it isn't one.
Why? You keep making these statements without expanding on your reasoning.

Anti-vaxxers claims that masks don't work or that they make the wearer suffer from oxygen defficiency etc.
Depending on the material used some masks are not going to be as good as stopping particles as others, that's about the most one could say without falling into anti-vaxx conspiracy nonsense.

Why? You keep making these statements without expanding on your reasoning.

Anti-vaxxers claims that masks don't work or that they make the wearer suffer from oxygen defficiency etc.
Depending on the material used some masks are not going to be as good as stopping particles as others, that's about the most one could say without falling into anti-vaxx conspiracy nonsense.

Yep, it's exactly the same dyfunctional mistakes repeated again. Same homicidal nonsense. Same idiots.

Just got called from the institution where my father is housed- he's getting his dose right now.
This makes me feel substantially better.

During a mass death event, the incapacitated are taken care of - just as I have to authorize his injection. I'm the "adult" here, he's the dependent.

If you are in a country where you may do as you please, with no laws limiting you, then go ahead.
Your survival depends mostly on you.

Assuming that people trying to help you are hostile can and has gotten people killed for all of human history. Pick the side that has the better track record. That side isn't the one telling you to inject disinfectant, drink bleach, rely on your own immune system, ignore the deaths, and fight back against reason.

edit: dose given, no side effects. Visitors will be permitted in due course.
Good news overall .

Hooray .

On a sidenote:

There are 2 kinds of people. And one of them is going to get both of them killed .

And, on the matter of "good, healthy immune System" . We have been going through this several times by now, in this and the "safest place" thread, so I will make it short :
ask the net search of your choice about "CoVid19 Cytokine Storm" or "SARS-CoV-2 Cytokine Storm" . It comes down to your perfectly well working immune system going into overdrive for one or the other reason, or several of them, and in consequence actually threatening to kill you .

Which is zero news to people actually interested in what stuff is all about, and how it works . Autoimmune problems are not new or exclusive to SARS-CoV-2 infection .

Last edited:
No, that would be your underlying assumption. And in any case, no amount of underlying assumptions can make the statement "masks don't work" into a conspiracy theory in and of itself.

Sorry if I'm being a pedant, but I just don't like to see "conspiracy theory" being used as a synonym for "urban myth" or "falsehood" since that's not what it means. To go one step further (not relevant in this specific example), I also don't like seeing "conspiracy" being used to mean "conspiracy theory", when it has pretty much the total opposite meaning.

Rest assured, people posting a lot in this and the "safest pace" thread have been going through numerous issues/topics several times during the last 15ish months . So really, cut us some slack . We are no idiots .

I did post this at least once before, it is one of my fav Ted talks :

Just beacuse it is a conspiracy theory does not mean it is not true .

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlvS-GrA00I

The "Masks do not work" is a statement/theory used to undermine/torpedoe any kind of effort to actively fight the pandemic/the virus . It is one of several, some rather complex, "ideas" that repeatedly, over and over, and interestingly ALWAYS when it would be REALLY important MORE people work together to suppress, surface . Like many other inaccurate statements re SARS-CoV-2, Pandemic, NPIs, what is really going on etcetcetc, it has it's root's in traceable sources, or at least the sources using it almost always have some very specific things in common . For instance, ignorance about immune system and it's potentially desastrous workings re. SARS-CoV-2 infection and "masks don't work" pretty often go very close together .

If nothing else helps you, just read that quote on "conspiracy theories" Robin provided above one more time .

Last edited:
I'm just living it out, one day at a time.
It’s not a bad policy in life in general. Being here and now in today is one way to actually get some enjoyment out of it.
It seems to be a general human trait to always consider that things ‘will be better in 5 years time’ and therefore skip enjoying the moment.
I try to plan for the future to some degree - but I’ve noticed that the camper van pot never gets any fuller, there’s always some unexpected needier cause ;-)

Last edited:
And you can upgrade your "good healthy immune system" with a vaccine jab!

Relying on a "good healthy immune system" is about as useful as praying away the virus.

Imagine if people said "Seatbelts are unnecessary, just pay good healthy attention to your surroundings!"
What a load of Buuuuull

and the jab is a Russian roulette, still pending a full FDA approval! (COVID-19 Vaccines Authorized for Emergency Use)

I'd trust my own immune system a lot more than an untested cocktail of unknown substances.

What a load of Buuuuull

and the jab is a Russian roulette, still pending a full FDA approval! (COVID-19 Vaccines Authorized for Emergency Use)

I'd trust my own immune system a lot more than an untested cocktail of unknown substances.

The vaccine is not experimental because it’s new​

A widely circulating claim is that the vaccines being rolled out are “experimental” because of the short time-frame in which they have been produced.

The reality is, despite the speed in which they have been developed, the same strict procedures for developing a vaccine have been adhered to and are being overseen by independent regulators, Bryan Deane, Director of new medicines and data policy at the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) explained.

The scale of the misinformation campaign to spread distrust in a Covid-19 vaccine has been revealed in a new report.

The Center for Countering Digital Hate gained access to a private anti-vaxxers' conference, finding groups were intent on recruiting new members and undermining facts about the jab.

The claims made by anti-vaccination groups are unfounded, with any potential Covid-19 vaccine undergoing rigorous testing before getting approval from regulators.

Supporters of QAnon -- some of whom have been tied to violent incidents and participated in the January 6 insurrection at the United States Capitol -- have also played a significant role in spreading misinformation about the coronavirus pandemic since it began. In recent months, as coronavirus vaccines -- which are safe and effective -- have been released, QAnon supporters have turned their attacks on the vaccines, spreading numerous false claims about them.

Last edited:
What a load of Buuuuull
No, what's bull is claiming masks do not work. Take your bleach, vit D and pray it away dude!

Which just shows how willingly ignorant you are choosing to be. The amount of testing done on these vaccines is simply unheard of, especially in such a short timespan.

I guess this is what happens when you get your opinions from facebook and fox.

You could always try posting some sources as multiple people have already suggested to you. Unless you can do that the extensive verifiable sources that prove it's a conspiracy theory will stand 🤷‍♀️.
What claims am I making that require sources? I'm making claims about what the words "conspiracy" and "theory" mean. You can look them up in a dictionary. If you don't already know what they mean, you shouldn't be using them. A conspiracy theory requires the presence of a putative conspiracy. The statement "masks don't work" does not contain one. Therefore by definition it is not a conspiracy theory. You providing links that talk about "the virus is a hoax started by a Jewish elite" do not in any way address this.

It's like you've posted a photo of a table and stated that it's a rhinoceros, and then are demanding I provide sources when I say no it isn't. The source is knowing what a table is and what a rhinoceros is.

What claims am I making that require sources? I'm making claims about what the words "conspiracy" and "theory" mean. You can look them up in a dictionary. If you don't already know what they mean, you shouldn't be using them. A conspiracy theory requires the presence of a putative conspiracy. The statement "masks don't work" does not contain one. Therefore by definition it is not a conspiracy theory. You providing links that talk about "the virus is a hoax started by a Jewish elite" do not in any way address this.

It's like you've posted a photo of a table and stated that it's a rhinoceros, and then are demanding I provide sources when I say no it isn't. The source is knowing what a table is and what a rhinoceros is.
I get that you can't post any sources because you are frightened of being fact checked.

That doesn't mean I'll waste time arguing the definition of a conspiracy theory with you. If you don't like the phrase you should avoid the thread as conspiracy theories are all the anti-mask anti-vax anti-education types have.

Rest assured, people posting a lot in this and the "safest pace" thread have been going through numerous issues/topics several times during the last 15ish months . So really, cut us some slack . We are no idiots .

I did post this at least once before, it is one of my fav Ted talks :

Just beacuse it is a conspiracy theory does not mean it is not true .

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlvS-GrA00I

The "Masks do not work" is a statement/theory used to undermine/torpedoe any kind of effort to actively fight the pandemic/the virus . It is one of several, some rather complex, "ideas" that repeatedly, over and over, and interestingly ALWAYS when it would be REALLY important MORE people work together to suppress, surface . Like many other inaccurate statements re SARS-CoV-2, Pandemic, NPIs, what is really going on etcetcetc, it has it's root's in traceable sources, or at least the sources using it almost always have some very specific things in common . For instance, ignorance about immune system and it's potentially desastrous workings re. SARS-CoV-2 infection and "masks don't work" pretty often go very close together .

If nothing else helps you, just read that quote on "conspiracy theories" Robin provided above one more time .
It's like banging my head against a brick wall. If you go back and read it yourself you will see that (obviously!) a conspiracy is a key component of a conspiracy theory. I don't know why you're linking me to a video that seems to be completely unrelated to the point I'm making. I don't know why you've written a paragraph stating all the reasons that masks DO work, when I never said they didn't.

"Conspiracy theory" and "falsehood" are not synonyms.
("Conspiracy" and "conspiracy theory" certainly aren't either)
A false claim is not a "conspiracy theory" if it makes no mention of any conspiracy.
Turtles are not hang-gliders.
A turtle hanging from a hang-glider, is still a turtle and not a hang-glider, no matter how frequently they are seen hanging from hang-gliders.
A hang-glider does not become a turtle, even if every single hang-glider is adorned with a turtle.
The defining characteristic of a turtle is not that it glides through the air, but that it is a reptile with a hard shell. Even if you see them gliding through the air a lot.
Etc etc.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom