General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
We had a news article yesterday, in N. Ireland, about the emergence of a new delta-plus variant which is currently under investigation.
Can't say much more about it as the detail was lacking but i'll keep you posted if it spirals out of control or if they give any more details.
We've been at crisis point for months regards hospitals and cases have been averaging (per week daily) between 1,100 and 1,600 over the same period with a few spikes. Some schools have sent kids home due to staff shortages.
It had been easing, albeit very slowly, so I guess we just wait.
I'm not sure if the health service can take another big wave though.

Moscow is going on lockdown.
Speaking Thursday at a panel with foreign policy experts, Putin said that “there are just two options for everyone — to get sick, or receive a vaccine. And there is no way to walk between the raindrops.”

Russian situation must be really dire:
Under no circumstances should you fudge with the data in an effort to make the real picture look more beautiful,” Putin said.
-Yahoo Money

I don't know how I missed this for so long but the UK parliament is visibly split on masks. I didn't think it was that blatant.

Right wing :

_119980251_torympsparliamentrogerharris.jpg

Left wing :

_119980253_labourlibdemsnophoc.jpg

Explains a lot.

A couple of negative headlines later and they all wearing masks now. "Following the science" :rolleyes:.

R7NVlmgt.jpg
The Watcher- Marvel, reminds me of all of us. Largely - none of us can do much about the stuff we are monitoring.

The situation in Russia is starting to look potentially like the Delta outbreak in India, with consequences for all of us.
BBC ran a piece on Russian state of affairs:
More than 1,000 people are dying each day across the country, with a total of more than 220,000 deaths so far. These are record numbers for Russia, making it the worst-hit in Europe.
Reliability of those numbers are suspect, no matter what Putin says on TV. So it's likely worse.

Considering the impact that the Russian disinformation vs vaccines has had in the West...
t46xA75t.jpg
Unfortunately, it's not specific Karma. It's a virus, not Divine Justice.

Doctors in Vologda are also shocked by the scale of anti-vaccination sentiment in the region, highlighting how those opposed to vaccination are putting elderly and vulnerable members of their families and relatives at risk.
Those citizens did nothing to anyone.
It's estimated that only 31% are vaccinated over there. But wait, there's more:

As Moscow's mayor announced non-essential services to close between October 28 and November 7 in Russia's capital, reports said a new coronavirus variant had emerged which may be more contagious than Delta.

Russia's RIA news agency quoted a researcher as saying that AY.4.2 variant could spread widely leading to an increase in the number of coronavirus cases.

Delta prevalence is at 100% in Russia right now. The sub-variant is included.

• Winter
  • Unvaccinated Population, skeptical of authorities
  • Overloaded Hospitals
  • New, hypercontagious variant
  • Major Travel Hub, with no restriction on Travel

So we have everything we need to get a resurgence worldwide right here. 🥳
The good news is that the sub-variant is already in Europe, but failing to compete effectively right now. So I'm not too worried about AY.4.2 (unless I catch it!) posing a danger.

Delta Plus is a starting point in this situation in Russia. At the moment, it isn't competing well with Delta in Europe because of a high level of vaccination there, impeding spread, and favoring the most transmissible version.
But massive transmission through unvaccinated hosts in close contact for the next 4 to 6 months is likely to give us the next big problem. Delta Plus has the conditions to infect enough people to mutate, improve, and out compete its Daddy. It would be wise to initiate a diplomatic move to get some better trusted foreign vaccines into Russia now. Unlike India, the population is small enough to make a difference, and we have better vaccine supply now.

Unfortunately like the Watcher- none of us can get that done.

🇹🇹
Well crap.

The demand for Intensive Care for COVID-19 patients currently exceeds the number of beds available.

Principal Medical Officer Dr Maryam Abdool-Richards made the disclosure as she gave an update on the parallel healthcare system at today’s virtual COVID-19 briefing.

Dr Abdool-Richards said the matter is of “grave concern” to healthcare officials, as it’s affected the availability of beds for the intake of new patients.

OK, so where are we going to put them? It's not just "beds" it's qualified ICU staff. Without those people on the job, you could have NASA level gear and it would be worthless.

Regular ICU beds in the public sector are already full, with strokes, kidney failure etc. The only possible resource left is the Private Sector.
https://tt.loopnews.com/content/visitors-allowed-medical-associates-opens-covid-19-ward <- includes pictures

The Chag. guys have been trying to recruit new staff for some time. They have a service aimed only at ward level care, at the moment, but the second they start shifting cases into that ICU( 2 beds more), the Govt. is going to get billed at 75K per day or more per head. Yea they called, and I said NO, because I have a vested interest in continuing to live. Let people under 40 staff those units.

We've been running locally at 8-10 Covid deaths daily for some time. Word amongst the nursing staff is there's a triage policy operating, where ICU resources are NOT given to the worst cases, and that's been going on for months to keep spaces open for salvageable cases. Now, there's basically none left. Expect that 8-10 to start ramping up from tomorrow.
Don't travel here. It's not safe.

There are 52 cases trapped in Covid specific ERs this morning, with 7 on ventillators, waiting for an ICU space. No ward spaces anymore.

24 hours to overflow when the next batch rolls in.

MoH assures that either vaccinated or not, same standard of care. That's professional, but 98% of the cases are unvaccinated, so let's not pretend that they are equally sick, or equally demanding of national resources. No official comment on triage policies, but the word is cropping up in presentation slides for the first time.

Tobago ICU has 2 beds open out of 5. So any outbreak there will overrun them and they cannot transfer.

We have reserve medical staff doing routine work clearing backlogs caused by previous clinic closures, who can get seconded to any expansion for Covid, but they have only basic training in ICU work.

AFAIK no overtures to my centre for transfers yet.

My bank still has altered hours due to the pandemic, and staffing. It does not open until 1100 on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Additionally, I'm having to travel distances to find doctors accepting new patients. My old ones are retiring at an accelerated rate. Robin can guess why... :(

My bank still has altered hours due to the pandemic, and staffing. It does not open until 1100 on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Additionally, I'm having to travel distances to find doctors accepting new patients. My old ones are retiring at an accelerated rate. Robin can guess why... :(
you think that's bad? Dominos UK still haven't brought back half-and-half pizza toppings! How can we be truly safe without the choice of both pineapple and no pineapple?

Hopeful update:

Protease inhibitor treatment appears quite successful. Trial was stopped because it is unethical to withhold lifesaving treatment.

Interim data from trials of the treatment in 1,219 high-risk patients who had recently been infected with Covid found that 0.8% of those given Paxlovid were hospitalised, compared with 7% of patients who were given a placebo or dummy pill.
They were treated within three days of Covid symptoms starting.
Seven patients given the placebo died compared to none in the group given the pill.

Drug cost is going to be a big issue. Pfizer shares were up 9% on the news. Merck also has another new medicine, with a different mechanism of action. Both are being purchased by the USA and UK, prior to FDA approval.

Hopefully there will be approval to distribute by the onset of winter?

Hopeful update:

Protease inhibitor treatment appears quite successful. Trial was stopped because it is unethical to withhold lifesaving treatment.

Drug cost is going to be a big issue. Pfizer shares were up 9% on the news. Merck also has another new medicine, with a different mechanism of action. Both are being purchased by the USA and UK, prior to FDA approval.

Hopefully there will be approval to distribute by the onset of winter?
They should still go through the trial process, that's the whole point of such things, is it not?
I would not want to be given something that "may" save me, only to cause much worse, longer term issues in the future because inadequately tested.
Pfizer have just dodged the one thing that was keeping them semi-honest.

The trials were stopped (as I understand it) because it would be unethical not to offer the treatment to everyone. You can't choose to give people a worse treatment...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom