General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Without any specific exemption, it would be taxable income.

I didn't read the entire relief plan word for word, but I skimmed it and searched for potential tax exemptions related to the payout itself, didn't find any.

Regardless, I'm not terribly critical of the payout...it's not a solution, but it will help, it is largely directed at lower income brackets, and was passed remarkably quickly. It's way better than nothing and considerably better than some initial proposals.

Oh sure. It is just that I worked for the Dutch IRS and I developed a well-honed irritation for needlessly daft things like this. But sure, it beats nothing for sure and this will be an important short-term relief for millions.

There's a lot of stuff in the package, much of it poorly understood and no doubt hurriedly, sloppily articulated. What else would you expect from a bill of such magnitude drafted almost overnight? The bottom line is that the wheels are turning and we're doing something, with a great deal more on the horizon. We expect to see an average of $3400 per family of four, which is nothing to sneeze at. That's in addition to loan payment freezes, rental payment freezes, business loans directly from the bill, etc. Yet you guys mock those of us who stand by our leaders and choose optimism over fear.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone else doing around the world in a similar vein? At a potential price tag of 6 trillion, who else is throwing such wealth into the effort?

This is weird.

Says the same number of total deaths, but that it was only '442' today with 656 yesterday? If the link is correct that would be good news, in a painful way?

655 deaths in Spain since 12:00, that is in the national news. Keep in mind that the real data between countries takes hours even days to update, they could even be longer in the data update tonight, the data that shows us at all times is hours or days late, so the situation may be even worse.

655 deaths in Spain since 12:00, that is in the national news. Keep in mind that the real data between countries takes hours even days to update, they could even be longer in the data update tonight, the data that shows us at all times is hours or days late, so the situation may be even worse.
Every death in your country that isn't by blunt force trauma will be attributed to coronavirus. That's what's happening in Italy, and no doubt here in America. 40k deaths per year to the seasonal flu in America are not actually tabulated from physical tests, but rather from a statistical calculation based on mathematical estimates by the CDC. In other words pulled simply from a simple calculation based on theory. These will now be attributed to the coronavirus.

Last edited:
Every death in your country that isn't by blunt force trauma will be attributed to coronavirus. That's what's happening in Italy, and no doubt here in America. 40k deaths per year to the seasonal flu in America are not actually tabulated from physical tests, but rather from a statistical calculation based on mathematical estimates by the CDC. In other words pulled simply from a simple calculation based on theory. These will now be attributed to the coronavirus.
I suppose you will not believe it until you see it,to a lesser extent, young or healthy people have also died ... you are right, the virus is worse with people who already have previous pathologies, immunodeficiency, respiratory issues and more, but it kills very quickly and suddenly, (some testimonies are terrifying), that is the real danger, since we do not have respirators and beds for so many people at the same time, but it is truly breaking all the death records in my country, seasonal flu kills around 6500 people a year, this virus has killed more than that half in just 2 weeks.

It doesn't seem like a normal situation here anyway.

I suppose you will not believe it until you see it,to a lesser extent, young or healthy people have also died ... you are right, the virus is worse with people who already have previous pathologies, immunodeficiency, respiratory issues and more, but it kills very quickly and suddenly, (some testimonies are terrifying), that is the real danger, since we do not have respirators and beds for so many people at the same time, but it is truly breaking all the death records in my country, seasonal flu kills around 6500 people a year, this virus has killed more than that half in just 2 weeks.

It doesn't seem like a normal situation here anyway.
At the end of the day we're just expressing opinions. I want nothing but the best for my brother's and sisters, regardless of international border.

All I know for sure is that once I determined that in my family I was the only one of us at serious risk, it became clear that I was going to keep working until I dropped dead or someone makes me stop. I continue to do so not because I'm convinced that this can't kill me, but because it's the way I'm wired. Note, I'm in the construction industry, so I can easily keep proper social distancing as most of my jobs don't require contact with other people

Better surveillance . Testing makes these numbers more accurate, in terms of who and what is reported as CoViD - 19 deaths . But you know that . You also do not really KNOW what is reported as CoViD -19 death in Italy or the USA, or do you ? If you have accuate numbers/a good source, please provide us with this ?

You are still comparing this to the flu . I am at a loss of words man .

My energy bills are almost non-existent

Paid $1.27/gal for gas at last fill up.

My cost of living is dropping like a sinker.

More savings

Better surveillance . Testing makes these numbers more accurate, in terms of who and what is reported as CoViD - 19 deaths . But you know that . You also do not really KNOW what is reported as CoViD -19 death in Italy or the USA, or do you ? If you have accuate numbers/a good source, please provide us with this ?

I'm on a roof in what's turning into a snowstorm on my phone. Just look at my post history from earlier yesterday, professor ricciardi, health advisor to the prime minister of Italy, discussing statistics in The Telegraph

... It is largely a faith-driven sentiment...
Indonesia was saying they have no Covid-19 due to their prayers. Now it's estimated they have 50% infected and a 10% death rate. The death rate is inflated because they basically did not test but I don't imagine that's a comfort to the many that lost family. That's what going to happen if you cross your fingers and do nothing.

You can't have accurate numbers without accurate testing, so no he doesn't.

The situation in New York is being widely described as catastrophic though, which isn't a good sign.

All I know is that the US govt is shoveling money from dump trucks

I'm getting my hands out to catch as much as I can

I advise others to stay quarantined and not participate - it's just too dangerous

Yeah, sure - they should all be selling so that can "take it with them."

Markets are fickle things, and uncertainty brings volatility. Even if markets stagnate or continue on a broad downward trend, there is a lot of money to be made (and a lot to lose) because of that volatility, which is going to drive repeated spikes in buying. Everyone is gambling on what will rebound, what will take off, and what will continue to fail...some will guess correctly, others not so much.

I will be surprised if most indices have seen their 2020 lows at this point. I will only be slightly less surprised if most indices don't make it at least half way back, to where they were before this sell-off, before they see those lows.

The idea that everyone would be selling in a market on a bearish trend silly. Even if that were rational, markets aren't.

Human adaptation to catastrophic collapse of their belief systems is well documented. This is taking place without exception to everybody, who all didn't fully grasp what is now going on. But it is pronounced in the lower half of the population.

The Great Disappointment of the Millerites did not cause the victims of the hoax to recognise they had been duped. They did not switch to better, evidence based thinking. They just changed their faith.

We have a cohort of similar folks. We carry them intellectually on our backs.

They are switching baseless beliefs from
" It is a Democratic hoax" to " The 15 cases will soon go to zero" to "We have it contained nearly airtight" to " A vaccine is already made" to "Cloroquine will save us" and the current nonsense of "It's just the flu" is par for their course over the cliff.

None of it is remotely factual. And we shouldn't treat these pronouncements as though they are. These are emotional expressions to protect their psyches from reality.

By the time Easter rolls tound, Trump will deny that he ever said he wanted "packed churches" just as he denies ignoring the pandemic, cutting the response
team in 2018, and firing the CDC unit in China.

As the disaster crashes round them, they will all just switch beliefs again, and continue to follow him.

This isn't Political, it is Behavioural.

IMHO, we have actual problems to deal with that they need us to solve FOR them.

All I know is that the US govt is shoveling money from dump trucks

I'm getting my hands out to catch as much as I can

I advise others to stay quarantined and not participate - it's just too dangerous
I literally laughed out loud at this.

@Robin of Spiritwood despite your assertion of "carrying the lower half on your backs" it is, in fact, those of us still willing to go to work no matter what who are, again literally and factually, carrying YOU on our backs.

Edit: and I still haven't gotten an answer to a question I posed earlier to those who delight in denigrating American leadership: we've just passed a 2 trillion (possibly increased to 6 trillion) aid package and ramped up the most intense testing program in the world: what have your leaders done that so demonstrably sets them apart to alleviate their countries suffering and future well being?

Last edited:
Most of those in ostensibly free societies would scoff at the idea of restrictions on the internal movement of citizens in normal times, yet are willing to make exceptions to slow the spread of a pandemic.

This probably sums up how most open border advocates feel about international movement and there is nothing suspicious or contradictory about it.

Stronger border restrictions for non-residents also wouldn't likely have mattered much in this current pandemic. Non-residents weren't a major transmission vector into the States...Americans traveling abroad and then returning home were.

Its not about open borders, its about people who are resident legally who work for the NHS already and keep it going. The UK always had the power to police borders, just decided not to use it 'for reasons'- I wonder what they'd be?

I think I might have not got my point across clearly there.

To be clearer: Having worked on ships doing border protection duties (both for my own Nation and NATO/EU members, and for a few government departments/arms), the states you find a lot of illegal immigrants in when you pull them out of the water sometimes is shocking in terms of the diseases they're carrying and can understand the argument for stringent border patrolling due to what people could be bringing into the country.

Any analysis from Colombia and its influx of illegals from Venezuela can show you that, which is why they're getting really nervous about the spread of the Covid-19 into Venezuela and how it's going to impact on them can verify that.

A few months back, any pointing out of these concerns would lead to someone being branded a Racist, right wing, narrow-minded bigot trying to cover their real motives (I should know, as I've been on the receiving end of such a berating).

I just find it odd that now something like this has happened these people have been suspiciously quiet on the matter, rather that conceeding the point that perhaps stringent adherence to immigration policy, rather than supporting border jumping (which they've done in the past), might actually be for the good of the nation.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom