General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
A few kickers:

SARS - CoV - 2 is more contagious than "the flu" . It spreads quicker . It kills quicker . And we have NO medicine, and NO Vaccine for it .
I mean, what do people think would happen every "flu season" if there were no medicine and vaccine(s) available against "the flu" ?

that doesn't really answer to the post you quote, right?

For example @Ian Skippy reported Covid-19 like symptoms, but he didn't went to the hospital, he never got tested so it's not a reported case. Not a negative, not a positive.
Like him could be millions of Europeans

The fact is we cant really tell how much worse Covid-19 it is. Not without mass testing.
We can only say it's worse.

We can use some statistics. For example, Bergamo reported a 300% increase in total number of deceased compared with the same period last year.

FWIW: I am still experiencing symptoms, and yesterday was a particularly bad day after numerous days of improvement. Didn't sleep during the night because of a burning sensation in the lungs. I am a polite and respectful host, but I'm getting to the point where the virus is outstaying its welcome. :mad:

We can use some statistics. For example, Bergamo reported a 300% increase in total number of deceased compared with the same period last year.

FWIW: I am still experiencing symptoms, and yesterday was a particularly bad day after numerous days of improvement. Didn't sleep during the night because of a burning sensation in the lungs. I am a polite and respectful host, but I'm getting to the point where the virus is outstaying its welcome. :mad:

Get checked, seriously.
Even a simple X-ray to chest/lungs will show if you have problems.

that doesn't really answer to the post you quote, right?

For example @Ian Skippy reported Covid-19 like symptoms, but he didn't went to the hospital, he never got tested so it's not a reported case. Not a negative, not a positive.
Like him could be millions of Europeans

The fact is we cant really tell how much worse Covid-19 it is. Not without mass testing.

See, that is the thing : we can not even reliably say how bad the seasonal flu season is . Does anyone really think when a Nation reports 6, or 8, or 10 million people infected during a flu season, it is based on accurate testing ? Same goes for deaths reported for a given flu season . Yet people still cite those numbers.

The important difference being : for the flu, is juuuust not as much a matter of life or death as it is with CoViD -19...cos medicines and vaccines, or the absence of either .

And THAT is where the whole comparison falls apart .

I do ofc know that we never get the FULL picture ( or maybe we will, one day after its all over ) re SARS - CoV -2 and CoViD -19. But I DO know that we need as much Data as we can gather, as accurately as possible, for various reasons . More accurate projections/predictions as well as development of medicine/vaccine being amongst them .

Last edited:
Get checked, seriously.
Even a simple X-ray to chest/lungs will show if you have problems.

Not an option for the foreseeable future. Belgium is approaching the apex in 1-2 weeks, right now we are all expected to contribute by not burdening healthcare unless things are really critical. Not ideal, but I don't need hospitalisation so will just rest and wait till it inevitably improves. :)

There's a lot of stuff in the package, much of it poorly understood and no doubt hurriedly, sloppily articulated. What else would you expect from a bill of such magnitude drafted almost overnight? The bottom line is that the wheels are turning and we're doing something, with a great deal more on the horizon. We expect to see an average of $3400 per family of four, which is nothing to sneeze at. That's in addition to loan payment freezes, rental payment freezes, business loans directly from the bill, etc. Yet you guys mock those of us who stand by our leaders and choose optimism over fear.

As I said previously to you, it's the only button left to push. It's no glorious leadership when the alternative is to let hundreds of millions of people and businesses go to the wall. I mean if that's the definition doing a good job, then so be it.

Out of curiosity, what is everyone else doing around the world in a similar vein? At a potential price tag of 6 trillion, who else is throwing such wealth into the effort?

No bragging rights to see whose economy needs the biggest bail out ;) but since you asked, UK government initial bailout of £350bn IIRC.

See, that is the thing : we can not even reliably say how bad the seasonal flu season is . Does anyone really think when a Nation reports 6, or 8, or 10 million people infected during a flu season, it is based on accurate testing ?

It's quite possible to get accurate figures from a limited sample size.

And you don't think the testing being done is accurate?

You are discussing semantics with a non native english speaker . Could we just quickly switch to German for this discussion ? I would feel more comfortable, and probably would make less mistakes when conveying my thoughts .

People die every day

Some of them also have Covid-19 when they pass

No one is telling us how much impact this has had on total global death rate or even within a given country compared to the normal daily death rate.

If that doesn't give you some idea what's going on here...

Go ahead - enlighten me

The US just hit 1k over the last 3 months Let's call it 1200 by end of Q1

Assuming all would have survived and not passed except for infection consequences, are we talking about an extra 15/day out of 350 Million?

The reduction in vehicle traffic covers that. Roads are empty.

Last edited:
Do we send the bill to China, when this is all over?
Accidental or not, this is their fault.

Well that's quite the question. I'd say yes, although I'm not sure how that's enforced! Somewhat ironically, if the animal markets were the origin, the cause was a lack of severe regulation in a country known for its highly regulated systems and draconian punishments. I read (not saying its true) that they were 'worried' that banning outright such markets would drive them underground where they'd be harder to keep track of,so thru were somewhat tolerated.

What's really needed is a large social change in their attitude towards animals and the weird beliefs they have in their healing powers. It's just bonkers and clearly dangerous. Maybe this will be a wake up call. Maybe not...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom