General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The absence of prominent features of SARS-CoV-2 in prior literature is an extreme contraindication for it being what you propose. You're suggesting that they've secretly manipulated the virus in ways that is highly improbable (using novel components that no one else has seen before that weren't turned into scads of papers for publication), for no discernible reason (they wouldn't have wanted a vaccine for it until after it became an issue, unless they were making a weapon, but it would make a crappy basis for a weapon compared to other viruses in the family).

That a virology lab is collecting and performing research on viruses is not even vaguely suspicious, it's a given. Most major virology labs in Asia would have the pathogens you mention. You're still at one flimsy coincidence...a virology lab in Wuhan, which is no evidence of anything. The evidence we do have, you seem to be completely ignoring.

It's all irrelevant anyway, if what I think is true we'll never ever know.

Most of our lot were serving the poverty stricken North East of England during the fireman's strike in the midst of the start of government gutting of the mining industry by the Labour government at that time through enforced mine closures that decimated the local working folk (carried on by Thatcher's lot in 1979)...We were in Hartlepool. A few of us from that time had also arrived there fresh from a rather hectic and troubled tour in Norn Iron, I had just arrived back from 8 months in Belize where we were dealing daily with bandit encursions from Guatemala...they used to attack the local Amish folk resident in Belize, steal their stuff including their womenfolk so our negotiations with them were usually settled by us killing enough of their number to persuade them to release their captives and desist from further visitations...

Consequently, we weren't in much of a mood to deal with local feral teens chucking rocks and Molotovs at us as we struggled with 30 year old mothballed civil defence 'Green Godesses', no breathing aperatus or proper equipment and very little fire training to fight those immense and often very dangerous blazes deliberately set by those cretins .

The local constabulary were thankfully very understanding and just swept up the refuse we left behind with nary a word said ;)

The years between '75 and '79, I handled the Dustmens strike, the firemens strike, the tanker drivers strike and the ambulance drivers strike not to mention the massive defence cuts and armed forces wage freezes dished out by a government that seemed intent on decimating the entire working class of the UK... a government elected on their supposed working class roots that repayed that electoral trust through a winter of discontent that our country has never fully recovered from....I'm a lifelong Scots nationalist in case anyone mistakes my political affiliations, service to the Crown not withstanding...I took the Queen's shilling as a debt to family tradition like many of my countrymen before and since.

Perhaps we would have better served the country at that time by taking the pick handles to a few politicians :unsure:
We got deported a few centuries back....

I remember when the British army gave us all Dequanine in the 70's before deploying to Brunei and Belize...unfortunately the side effects of dequanine turned us all into potential psycopaths with a large store of weapons...changing the drug to another quinine derivative solved the issue of us killing large swathes of the innocent population of those countries of course...but 20% of us over there contracted some form of malaria due to the late change.

I still drink Indian tonic water (with the natural quinine additive still included) to deal with the effects of the malarial parasite....but to be fair, the effects of long term malaria are less troublesome than the side effects of the anti-malarial drugs...plus the tonic water tastes pretty good.
Yeah they used a line of auto-injectors before deploying us, Had to use my left arm, mostly, which was not the one holding the sidestick controller. Felt miserable for weeks.

🇹🇹
2 friends called.
Both sick with upper respiratory symptoms, and somewhat scared. Odds are it's something else, as our case rate is still low. Suggested they self isolate at home, wait and see if things improve.

It's like living in a soap opera. Somebody coughs, you know they are dying in 3 more episodes.

Suddenly things that we used to just ignore become talismans of mortality.

Last edited:
Starbucks in my hometown just shut down. Apparently they were classified as "essential need" and boy oh boy do people love them some frothy caffeine drinks no matter the occasion, there being a line of cars in the drive through lane wrapping around the building, snaking out into the parking lot and sometimes prohibiting a smooth flow of traffic on the highway going past from cars waiting to turn in on any given day of the week. This is even during the outbreak mind you.

Why did Starbucks just shut down you ask? Because one of their employees who hands out drinks at the drive thru window was feeling really crummy and just tested positive for Covid 19.

I swear, you just can't make this stuff up.

Starbucks in my hometown just shut down. Apparently they were classified as "essential need" and boy oh boy do people love them some frothy caffeine drinks no matter the occasion, there being a line of cars in the drive through lane wrapping around the building, snaking out into the parking lot and sometimes prohibiting a smooth flow of traffic on the highway going past from cars waiting to turn in on any given day of the week. This is even during the outbreak mind you.

Why did Starbucks just shut down you ask? Because one of their employees who hands out drinks at the drive thru window was feeling really crummy and just tested positive for Covid 19.

Despite what can be said in this forum, stay safe mate,everyone has my support and we share similar situations.

I am starting to scare myself a little, Spain is getting crazy, with almost 1000 deaths per day, the news gives false data every day / week , and on my island (the first contagion from Spain was in one of the small Canary Islands, La Gomera, but it stopped in time) infections have started to grow, exceeding 1000 and more than 40 deaths, it seems that this thing does not it stops,I really don't understand it.
We are 3,000,000 habitants among all the islands, the virus is the least of it, but the situation can get really ugly if food, products or certain "substances" start to be scarce, here (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria) the police only can concentrate on controlling the big streets of the city, so that in many neighborhoods people can roam freely, you can understand my concern.
I hope that in a few months we can laugh at all this, I really wish it.Regards.

Despite what can be said in this forum, stay safe mate,everyone has my support and we share similar situations.

I am starting to scare myself a little, Spain is getting crazy, with almost 1000 deaths per day, the news gives false data every day / week , and on my island (the first contagion from Spain was in one of the small Canary Islands, La Gomera, but it stopped in time) infections have started to grow, exceeding 1000 and more than 40 deaths, it seems that this thing does not it stops,I really don't understand it.
We are 3,000,000 habitants among all the islands, the virus is the least of it, but the situation can get really ugly if food, products or certain "substances" start to be scarce, here (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria) the police only can concentrate on controlling the big streets of the city, so that in many neighborhoods people can roam freely, you can understand my concern.
I hope that in a few months we can laugh at all this, I really wish it.Regards.
Many of us will die. Those of us who don't will all lose people who are dear to them. This will change the world forever for those that survive, there's no doubt about that. Without a cure or it magically disappearing it's likely that we'll need to achieve herd immunity the hard way.

In America we're at 3000 deaths and I imagine that we're seeing the tiniest tip of the iceberg. I'm still holding out hope that there are millions of "unreported" cases that were minor which would bring the mortality rate down, but it doesn't really square with the bodies piling up. We'll see. The fact that the numbers are so favorable for positive outcomes for teens and children and women in general gives me great hope and relief from fear, even in the midst of all the chaos. There will be a great deal more heart break to come for all of us, but the species will emerge on the far side stronger, more resilient and better equipped. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Making up a food package for somebody.
Wondering how safe it is to even do that transfer.

All the streetlights are out for some reason, and the blackness and silence is like a blanket.

The sense of threat generalizes, from microscopic invisible virus to other humans. I'll go down and wait with the dogs, who want to investigate the package.
After being sick for 4 weeks, I must be at around 20% effectiveness. That has to change. So staircase runs and burpees from tonight.

--------------------

Edit:
Well that went OK. Wore a black homemade ninja mask over the regular, and scared the pickup guy. Ha. Everybody's nervous.

Yeah some of the behaviour I've seen here in the past few days defies belief....... what is wrong with people?!?!?!

I swear to god, people are idiots
Damn straight.

Amen to that. We're all in this together.

Stay safe. Take care.

o7.................

Last edited:
Making up a food package for somebody.
Wondering how safe it is to even do that transfer.

All the streetlights are out for some reason, and the blackness and silence is like a blanket.

The sense of threat generalizes, from microscopic invisible virus to other humans. I'll go down and wait with the dogs, who want to investigate the package.
After being sick for 4 weeks, I must be at around 20% effectiveness. That has to change. So staircase runs and burpees from tonight.

--------------------

Edit:
Well that went OK. Wore a black homemade ninja mask over the regular, and scared the pickup guy. Ha. Everybody's nervous.
Eat something hearty Robin, make burgers!

Eat something hearty Robin, make burgers!
We stopped eating out before the first case was even reported in our country (not that we ate out much in the first place). I told the kids that we weren't going to be getting any "coronaburgers." Can you imagine the sheer, mind boggling level of stupidity to actually still be grabbing drinks and takeout today? I can hardly wrap my head around it. This is just one employee, imagine how many people one person in this position has infected over the last 5-10 days. My city is literally crawling with this, assuming this is the "first" of the cases.

Do you laugh or cry?

My family has been taking steps as much as possible to keep from spreading it for a while now, of course. With my social responsibilities stated, my own personal outlook all along has been that it will inevitably enter my house one way or the other. We will catch it and face it down either positive or negative. In the meantime I just make sure and not contribute to the spread while keeping up with my contracts. One thing I haven't been doing is going frickin' out of my way to catch it by eating/drinking things that have been prepared by strangers. That's bucking for the Darwin Award right there.

My family has been taking steps as much as possible to keep from spreading it for a while now, of course. With my social responsibilities stated, my own personal outlook all along has been that it will inevitably enter my house one way or the other. We will catch it and face it down either positive or negative. In the meantime I just make sure and not contribute to the spread while keeping up with my contracts. One thing I haven't been doing is going frickin' out of my way to catch it by eating/drinking things that have been prepared by strangers. That's bucking for the Darwin Award right there.
Agreed. I'm approaching this crisis from much the same perspective. Stay safe.

Just reported in the local newspaper today that the first case has been diagnosed on the main island...in someone who came up here from the mainland to self isolate not less. I've no doubt the selfish and irresponsible **** has spread the virus further when raiding the local shops for loo roll as well as the local supermarket and we'll be hearing of more cases springing from this.

They should start shooting these people at the ferry ports.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom