General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Another example of change: My supermarket's pharmacy was sold to CVS. The prices for meds went up.

Retail consolidation. Plus, effects on healthcare.

Southend on Sea in England

With 42,927 deaths tested positive and even more than 52,000 including suspected cases, the United Kingdom deplores the heaviest toll in Europe of Covid-19 disease. :rolleyes:

View attachment 178990

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷
With regard to social distancing it doesn’t look much different from the recent protests around the world, but I guess because they don’t have a cause to back other than trying to put some normality back in their lives they should be scorned and ridiculed

Contrary to popular belief, the US is not really that bad in comparison, with 375 deaths per million, only slightly above the Netherlands (356) and Ireland (349).

The US is undercounting the mortality.
Heart attacks, Strokes, Pulmonary emboli, etc are climbing in undiagnosed Covid cases, and these are causing the excess mortality number to surge, but not enumerated as Covid deaths.

They are also undercounting the cases, but everywhere is probably doing the same. Not possible to get everyone tested as numbers are too big. Additionally there is corrupt muffling of numbers in places run by Trump allies, like Ron DeSantis, who has been firing public health workers that won't go along with the lies.
Health officials in the US estimate the true number of cases is likely to be 10 times higher than the reported figure
-BBC news

Also, it isn't working out too well over in Florida.

He could slow things by enforcing mask wear, but Oops! The Culture War that his side started is in the way. Also, he'll have to test, listen to doctors, and countermand Dr Disinfectant. Oh the horror of being reasonable.
Oh well, too bad. For Floridians. Votes gave them this, votes will take it away.

In order to lower the reported numbers, the Federal funds for 13 testing sites has been cut just as number of cases reaches an all time high. This is a political effort to sacrifice real living people in order to make President Poison look better.

It will be the death knell for their economy. They will effectively blindfold themselves as they lose the fight. Hilarious watching Trump saw his own legs off. Not so funny as actual people pay the price.

Not linking to political polls here though. But as they get sick and die in droves, the population is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y beginning to tell how badly they chose at the last election. Not the brightest folks, no sir.

Last edited:
Creepy EM pictures in this story.

New things turn up all the time. Filopodia are powered internally by actin filament polymerization, which can be blocked by an old drug known as Colchicine.
It's possible that Colchicine might inhibit this mechanism of viral transmission, but it would also inhibit normal cell movement and it's toxic at big doses.

edit:

So people all over the place are already on that idea. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Creepy EM pictures in this story.

New things turn up all the time. Filopodia are powered internally by actin filament polymerization, which can be blocked by an old drug known as Colchicine.
It's possible that Colchicine might inhibit this mechanism of viral transmission, but it would also inhibit normal cell movement and it's toxic at big doses.

edit:

So people all over the place are already on that idea. 🤷‍♂️
There's a reason I don't live in Florida. Or, the areas that are relaxing too quickly.

Been through Phoenix and Tulsa. Both are asylums from rationality.

The mutations scare me. I'm in two risk groups, so I'm still isolating. The humans are loose...

Most of my age group that I know here in town are just as cautious. My friend who owns a large law firm is having almost all his staff work from home. They got upgraded equipment for teleconferencing. Hence, my free laptop.

Few rational persons are being dismissive of the second wave. They are silently taking their own precautions. The not-so-rational, however... :(

O
From 2019.
oh with the schooling system we got now and a few decades back we're are getting dumber, that's a given, and homeschooling is not easy, most parents can't lift that task at all. However if you can do it. We did it the first years, sowing the seeds if you like, and that was a good decision. I still discuss all kinds of subjects with my children, some of it they agree, some of it they don't, but HEY that's why we have the discussions.

Last edited:
Most of my age group that I know here in town are just as cautious. My friend who owns a large law firm is having almost all his staff work from home. They got upgraded equipment for teleconferencing. Hence, my free laptop.

Few rational persons are being dismissive of the second wave. They are silently taking their own precautions. The not-so-rational, however... :(
one word, Darwin!

O

oh with the schooling system we got now and a few decades back we're are getting dumber, that's a given, and homeschooling is not easy, most parents can't lift that task at all. However if you can, do it. We did it the first years, sowing the seeds if you like, and that was a good decision. I still discuss all kinds of subjects with my children, some of it they agree, some of it they don't, but HEY that's why we have the discussions.

Even if homeschooling is not an option, adults can do so much for young one's minds to develop, soo easily, with so little effort .

Bragging here, forgive me, I just love my daughter.

I kept feeding my now 20 year old daughter books . I simply spoke with her about topics/issues I am interested in, about things that concern me, personally, globally, in terms of health, economics, politics, you name it . Essentially form very early on, adapting the way I speak and what we talk about to her capabilites as good as I could. This in turn sparked her curiousity about many things not covered at school, or at least not from the background or perspective I do look at things . I started challenging her thoughts and believes I think when she was 7, by way of dialogue and information rather than argument and discussion . And, I am keeping the promise I gave myself, and her, even before she was born : I am never lying to her .

2 weeks ago, we talked a bit about QuantumMechanics ( the few bits of which I understand enough of the words that I can actually talk about it ), and I managed to get the dialogue to one of the dilemmas of the many worlds theory . I described the Problem using an admittedly rather clumsy metaphore ( I told her it was not a really good one...). She came up with the solution, out of nothing, just like that ! She was like "But what if...?" . And I smiled and said "Yeah, and that is pretty much how it very likely really is ."

She simply solved the Problem .

A few days later, I gave her the copy of Kahneman's "Thinking. Fast and Slow" I had bought to give away . Will do her english a lot good, and we will have a lot more things to talk about in the future.

Last edited:
With regard to social distancing it doesn’t look much different from the recent protests around the world, but I guess because they don’t have a cause to back other than trying to put some normality back in their lives they should be scorned and ridiculed
In all cases, protests or or hobbies, there is irresponsibility here.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Depends on the protests, we have quite a selection at the moment. From what I've seen the George Floyd inspired civil rights ones tend to be most sensible and have distancing and masks and such. Although some of that will be tear gas, flashbang and rubber bullet protection obviously.

The anti-lockdown/G5 conspiracy/gangster funeral ones definitely tend not to.

The idiots on the beach do deserve to be scorned and ridiculed, as they are putting us all at risk.

Even if homeschooling is not an option, adults can do so much for young one's minds to develop, soo easily, with so little effort .

Bragging here, forgive me, I just love my daughter.

I kept feeding my now 20 year old daughter books . I simply spoke with her about topics/issues I am interested in, about things that concern me, personally, globally, in terms of health, economics, politics, you name it . Essentially form very early on, adapting the way I speak and what we talk about to her capabilites as good as I could. This in turn sparked her curiousity about many things not covered at school, or at least not from the background or perspective I do look at things . I started challenging her thoughts and believes I think when she was 7, by way of dialogue and information rather than argument and discussion . And, I am keeping the promise I gave myself, and her, even before she was born : I am never lying to her .

2 weeks ago, we talked a bit about QuantumMechanics ( the few bits of which understand enough of the words that I can actually talk about it ), and I managed to get the dialogue to one of the dilemmas of the many worlds theory . I described the Problem using an admittedly rather clumsy metaphore ( I told her it was not a really good one...). She came up with the solution, out of nothing, just like that ! She was like "But what if...?" . And I smiled and said "Yeah, and that is pretty much how it very likely really is ."

She simply solved the Problem .

A few days later, I gave her the copy of Kahneman's "Thinking. Fast and Slow" I had bought to give away . Will do her english a lot good, and we will have a lot more things to talk about in the future.
First rule you need to teach, question everything!

First rule you need to teach, question everything!

When talking about a growing up female person, there is a lot that has to be taken into consideration .

Me, as a male constant in her Life, for instance sets example(s) for her on what behaviour of males towards her she realizes as "normal", accepts, or finds tolerable .

Just as well - and totally independent of biology - it needs to be made sure that the bond of trust between us may be strengthened, all the time .

In this Light, though I fully understand your statement, I find it necessary to stress that by no means would it ever be my intention to confront anyone with insecurity, on any level, needlessly . Rather, if possible, carefully prepare a person to recognize the constructs the mind creates to fool itself into "certainty", make the person aware of the sheer scope, size and interconnectedness of those constructs....raise the awareness that all the constructing processes are entirely natural, and essentially necessary...all the while somehow strengthening the person enough mentally, so that stepping out of certainty and looking reality into the eye(s) becomes an entirely voluntary thing, driven by curiousity, to the extend that it becomes a habit, to finally understand the point . And to walk away from that realization a stronger person, not one whose personality has been shattered and probably find themsleves unable to navigate into the future .

tl;dr : Instead of driving home the point, assist the person in question to see and unerstand it by themselves .

Soo...pandemic ( yeah mods i ofc understand, and you were absolutely right ) .

Happy to report that, acc RKI dashboard, the town of ca.75k people I live in has had exactly 0.0 new cases/100kpeople in the last 7 days . The district around us of ca. 150k people had....2.2 .

Im such a lucky person . I really am . The people around me also . Seems to be we are living together in communities of mostly not so stupid people .

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom