General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Never listen Trump.

Always fact-check.

Anyway, this one can't really be blamed on Trump. Article states that all seven cases mentioned were related to alcoholism...they were trying to get drunk, not prevent or cure COVID-19.

People have been using all sorts of overtly dangerous substances to get intoxicated forever, and methanol poisoning is pretty common among those alcoholics too poor or desperate to ensure they are only drinking ethanol.

Southend on Sea in England

With 42,927 deaths tested positive and even more than 52,000 including suspected cases, the United Kingdom deplores the heaviest toll in Europe of Covid-19 disease. :rolleyes:

View attachment 178990

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

I'm pretty angry about what is happening in the UK. I'm not sure how true images like this are since a camera angle can change the perspective a lot and our press does like to whip people up in to a frenzy; that is literally what they try to do to which ever reader base they are aiming...

However, there is an awful lot of not giving a crap here now. Illegal raves have made a huge comeback, and as someone that grew up in the 90's, I can understand the appeal of illegal raves. What these selfish idiots don't get is that although they are probably invulnerable to the virus their grandparents aren't. Add to that all the black lives matter hysterics, and you have people attacking the police when they try to break up parties... it is miserable.

In case anyone thinks I'm conflating https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53188547

I'm pretty angry about what is happening in the UK. I'm not sure how true images like this are since a camera angle can change the perspective a lot and our press does like to whip people up in to a frenzy; that is literally what they try to do to which ever reader base they are aiming...
I saw aerial pictures on television, there were many people.

Unfortunately I fear that this summer it will be the same in the countries with maritime coasts in Europe.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Even if homeschooling is not an option, adults can do so much for young one's minds to develop, soo easily, with so little effort .

Bragging here, forgive me, I just love my daughter.

I kept feeding my now 20 year old daughter books . I simply spoke with her about topics/issues I am interested in, about things that concern me, personally, globally, in terms of health, economics, politics, you name it . Essentially form very early on, adapting the way I speak and what we talk about to her capabilites as good as I could. This in turn sparked her curiousity about many things not covered at school, or at least not from the background or perspective I do look at things . I started challenging her thoughts and believes I think when she was 7, by way of dialogue and information rather than argument and discussion . And, I am keeping the promise I gave myself, and her, even before she was born : I am never lying to her .

2 weeks ago, we talked a bit about QuantumMechanics ( the few bits of which I understand enough of the words that I can actually talk about it ), and I managed to get the dialogue to one of the dilemmas of the many worlds theory . I described the Problem using an admittedly rather clumsy metaphore ( I told her it was not a really good one...). She came up with the solution, out of nothing, just like that ! She was like "But what if...?" . And I smiled and said "Yeah, and that is pretty much how it very likely really is ."

She simply solved the Problem .

A few days later, I gave her the copy of Kahneman's "Thinking. Fast and Slow" I had bought to give away . Will do her english a lot good, and we will have a lot more things to talk about in the future.

I'll personally be reserved on topics such as QM because truth is you cannot really understand it unless you dig through the math, something I hope to achieve in ~2 years.

Researchers in Barcelona examining archived frozen samples of sewage ( Where do you sign up for that job!?) found signs of Sars Cov 2 virus in March 2019.
This dates to the first identification in a ?human source. Raises a big pile of questions. Like how come there wasn't an outbreak in Barcelona if people were shedding the virus a whole year before it hit Europe?

Or was there?

FpK9gBvm.png
Ok, so these are the numbers from Barcelona. 2018, 2019 and 2020 are marked with arrows.

2019 was not a year with an unusually big number of influenza like cases. 2018 was worse, 2015 and 2016 were about the same. So, where was Coronavirus hiding? Why didn't people get sick?

It seems very unlikely that a virus this infectious would appear in Spain, go underground for a YEAR, travel round the world, and then pop up in Wuhan. Where could it be coming from?
“All samples were negatives regarding the SARS-CoV-2 genome presence except for March 12, 2019, in which the levels of SARS-CoV-2 were low but were positive, using two different targets”, says the researcher.

The sample only yielded a positive test for ONE week.
The result could be consistent with a small group or single traveller, not in an infectious phase but still excreting faecal virus. Nobody would get the respiratory illness, but the test would find it. That implies that Sars Cov 2 is not native to Barcelona. Did the traveller/s leave? Did the virus stop being passed? We cannot tell, nor can we detemine the source of the illness. But we do have an important clue - the infected person must have caught it in late Winter, and travelled to Spain in spring. That implies that coronavirus was active somewhere last year in the Winter.

Was it in China?
Well, here is an article
- and the author explains tha tthe 2018-2019 flu season has a surprizingly low number of deaths because basically, they just do not count them. But the article does have the case numbers. So some more digging and....

J7jw0BRl.png
Gee, it's kinda DIFFERENT to Barcelona, isn't it?

Edit:
This raises ANOTHER pile of questions.
It was in China one year before they detected it, it seems, and infected people were evidently going to Europe with it.
Why did this outbreak not occur sooner? Why did it disappear in China, and then return in Dec-2019-Jan-2020? Was this really Covid, because this is not how it's behaving now.

Last edited:
It seems very unlikely that a virus this infectious would appear in Spain, go underground for a YEAR, travel round the world, and then pop up in Wuhan. Where could it be coming from?

The sample only yielded a positive test for ONE week.
The result could be consistent with a small group or single traveller, not in an infectious phase but still excreting faecal virus. Nobody would get the respiratory illness, but the test would find it. That implies that Sars Cov 2 is not native to Barcelona. Did the traveller/s leave? Did the virus stop being passed? We cannot tell, nor can we detemine the source of the illness. But we do have an important clue - the infected person must have caught it in late Winter, and travelled to Spain in spring. That implies that coronavirus was active somewhere last year in the Winter.

Such an anomalous result is also consistent with a mislabeled or contaminated sample, or some other procedural error. Certainly an interesting possibility, but it will take more than a single pre-review study to convince me that SARS-CoV-2 was in Spain fifteen months ago.

Such an anomalous result is also consistent with a mislabeled or contaminated sample, or some other procedural error. Certainly an interesting possibility, but it will take more than a single pre-review study to convince me that SARS-CoV-2 was in Spain fifteen months ago.

Indeed.
If the hypothesis is correct, surely Chinese carriers went to other places. We ought to be able to turn up evidence of the virus from samples in other locales at the least. Moreover, how come only one weekly sample was positive? Nobody with the virus travelled on ANY other week?
An error seems the most likely conclusion, but I had some fun building a hypothetical case.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom