General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Certainly everybody in Europe would likely know this already. Here is the "safe" countries list:
Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay.

The UK has a special dispensation to permit travel within the EU bloc for now. Interestingly, no Caribbean nations are listed despite having better numbers than the ones on the list. Why is that? Well, reciprocity. If we do not permit EU denizens entry, treatment is likewise.
I wouldn't get hopes up for travel getting started anytime soon along those routes. Our border lockdown is likely going to stand for some time, until the "safe" countries get their cases to zero. 😷

Certainly everybody in Europe would likely know this already. Here is the "safe" countries list:
Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay.

The UK has a special dispensation to permit travel within the EU bloc for now. Interestingly, no Caribbean nations are listed despite having better numbers than the ones on the list. Why is that? Well, reciprocity. If we do not permit EU denizens entry, treatment is likewise.
I wouldn't get hopes up for travel getting started anytime soon along those routes. Our border lockdown is likely going to stand for some time, until the "safe" countries get their cases to zero. 😷
The French West Indies should be open, as they are in the EU. I guess that's the place to go, for Euros that need a Caribbean fix?

I wouldn't get hopes up for travel getting started anytime soon along those routes. Our border lockdown is likely going to stand for some time, until the "safe" countries get their cases to zero.
Well, Scotland has had no deaths for 3 days , so the Scotland - T&T air-corridor could be happening soon. Don't worry - we won't let the hoards from infested England board the planes - honest ;)

It's interesting that talk is arising over the Second Wave of the pandemic arriving. We never really stopped the first wave though?

:D S

In the US, there are several states that are going to have a distinct second wave, but many more where the first wave just hit a bit later, and where mitigations were much softer, who will just have a harsh and protracted first-wave.

In the US, there are several states that are going to have a distinct second wave, but many more where the first wave just hit a bit later, and where mitigations were much softer, who will just have a harsh and protracted first-wave.

I think we talk mainly of New York and New Jersey if we talk about a resurgence. Everywhere else is just getting into the first wave now. Feels like a setup for some sort of young adult post-apocalyptic sci-fi. One of my old friends in the US who works at a hospital talks about how everything seem normal, except at work, where everything looks like the end of the world...

:D S

Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

And I think a Swine Flu came from Mexico, BSE from the UK. Basically Meat is Murder, but not the murder you thought they meant :)

Domestic and captured wild animals in close proximity to each other and to humans.
The large population in the area does of course make it statistically more probable, as well.

The bush meat markets are incredibly skanky. Rare animals cost more due to the scarcity but because of the transport issues they are sold live to prove freshness and slaughtered on the spot. Kept in stacked cages not separated by species so its the perfect cross species breeding ground. Its unregulated and illegal so no animal welfare or cleanliness inspections at all and no paper trail.

Serving truly rare animals as food is a status thing for the super rich, so the cops don't dare touch it.

Believed to be the source of SARS, swine flu and covid 19.

The bush meat markets are incredibly skanky. Rare animals cost more due to the scarcity but because of the transport issues they are sold live to prove freshness and slaughtered on the spot. Kept in stacked cages not separated by species so its the perfect cross species breeding ground. Its unregulated and illegal so no animal welfare or cleanliness inspections at all and no paper trail.

Serving truly rare animals as food is a status thing for the super rich, so the cops don't dare touch it.

Believed to be the source of SARS, swine flu and covid 19.
It’s true, but the intensive farming methods employed by the west and their cheap meat demands means substandard quality and risk as well.

I'm not sure how things are going in other parts of the world, but one problem in the US that seems to be off most people's radar is the dwindling blood supply. In many areas, we're down to less than a day.

It’s true, but the intensive farming methods employed by the west and their cheap meat demands means substandard quality and risk as well.

I've been assured there's no link between the suspected origin in bush meat markets of the outbreak and the spread via meat packing plants elsewhere in the world beyond food being outside working lockdown restrictions and isolated incidents of poor hygiene.

I'm just not convinced though. Horsemeat "beef" and CJD don't give me much faith in the industry or the way its being regulated. Both of those were down entirely to saving money.

From 40,000 new cases detected per day, the United States could increase to 100,000 without new interventions to stem the Covid-19 pandemic, warned Tuesday Anthony Fauci, director of the American Institute of Infectious Diseases.

"I wouldn’t be surprised if we reached 100,000 per day if we don't reverse the trend," he said at a hearing in the U.S. Senate.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Looks like we have a riot developing in the capital... 🇹🇹

Yesterday, a policeman was shot. In response, they sent a heavily armed force into the area, raided, and killed 3 people. Looks like one of those was an innocent?

Edit:
Theres cellphone footage of the men surrendering, and then being shot. Police with grievances.
So now there are riots and people evaccing the city.

We have had this before. The same region rioted in 1990, and the army rapidly put it down. Things are nice and quiet in the sleepy South, where I live. There's no police around though as the force is being concentrated at the disturbance.

Update: fires, shots fired and grenades used vs the police are in the eyewitness reports. Nothing happening in my vicinity. It is cool, overcast and quiet.

Pandemic stress is boiling over up North. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
🇹🇹 Ok, so our latest figures are 9 active cases, all from abroad. Some were workers on cruise ships. 2 came from ?USA as deportees, and picked it up in confinement.

The national cases we have to take back from places that failed to contain it outnumber our total deaths. It is (as of now) still a completely foreign problem with no local spread.
How long can we keep that going? It's been 6 months, and our pantry is depleted finally. It's safe to go restock for now, riots excluded.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom