General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

Not really . Avian Flu could jump to humans in a German chicken pen .

This is not good. When the CDC says it's too far gone...
The only 2 approaches now, if that is true, would be to capitulate and bury the dead, or go full on Wuhan style totalitarian crackdown :no contact tracing or targeted ops, just blunt force isolation.

<- Not an epidemiologist. Not able to predict this outcome. Looking at uncontrolled spread in 330 million = 274 million infected to get 80% immunity. But immunity does not last past 3 months, so we have a decay rate operating = cumulative number infected at T minus 90 days.

At 0.1% case fatality that is 2.74 million dead. If that is one order of magnitude off, we get 274 thousand dead by the time it stops, not counting the decay rate. Both untenable. Something needs to get done to prevent this.

One of our re-opened library branches closed today, as one staff member tested positive. They are de-contaminating the building, etc...

We can expect this to go on a long, long time.

At 0.1% case fatality that is 2.74 million dead. If that is one order of magnitude off, we get 274 thousand dead by the time it stops, not counting the decay rate. Both untenable. Something needs to get done to prevent this.
<= Not an epidemiologist either, just an asthmatic who works retail, but has been tracking official numbers since this whole disaster started

Based on the numbers reported by the CDC, as well as the health department of my home state of Minnesota, the death rate seems to be about 2% of those infected... at least once we finally started doing anywhere near sufficient testing. This is based on the daily ratio of new deaths to newly identified infections.

Also, I think you initially meant 1%, not 0.1%.

My math is off, indeed. 1% is correct.

There is an "attempted coup" according to the Commissioner of Police. 72 arrests, one death: a pregnant woman. Sounds fishy.

The country is under attack from pregnant women?

The armed forces have squashed the disturbance, which seems to have been more of a vigorous protest against police extrajudicial executions. A number of Usual Suspects have been picked up, but there was gunfire, cars overturned and fires reported in the capital.

Nobody else seems to be seriously hurt. Hopefully it's done now.

Last edited:
Is there something inherently unsafe about Far Eastern / Chinese farming methods that facilitates these zoonotic infections?

In addition to the BBC News item I posted last night, the Guardian covers the same story about this new Swine Flu:

The issue is more about the presence of wet markets with exotic animals and their lack of hygene. Such issue has been researched and documented for a considerable amount of time.

"Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. "- Wormtongue.

6 months.
It's already too late according to the CDC. But maybe doing something is better than not trying. Can't tell if this is a public health message, or some kind of internal political signal that is too subtle to get. Doesn't matter, it is the right message to send.

Masks are on sale here everywhere now. Seamstress home businesses are cranking out fabric masks to retail outlets. I bought a couple black/navy blue reversible ones, for ah ... fashion.

More good news for herd immunity.

Considering more and more knowledge/Data re.the possible effects - as well as the recent findings re. immunity - it is truly unbelieveable there are still people thinknig it is a good "strategy" .

It is SO abundantly clear - and interestingly, has been to people like WHO and firends from very early on ( this becomes very clear when one actually listens(ed) to them and thinks through their recommendations ) that the BEST and ONLY thing we have to do is drumroll prevent people getting infected, at all, as much as possible .
Not claiming they KNEW much - they did not claim that, either - but they at least definitely had a pretty clear understanding of "everything is possible" .

Last edited:
Not really . Avian Flu could jump to humans in a German chicken pen .
German chickens aren't in much contact with wild animals though. There is far less chance that they get the flu in the first place.

When it comes to EU agriculture, I would worry far more about the overuse of antibiotics than the risk of virus transfer.

Bringing lots of exotic animals in close proximity to each other in unhygienic conditions is a problem. On the other hand, 20% of the world population lives in China alone, add India and such and it makes sense most virus come from China or Africa.

"Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear. "- Wormtongue.

6 months.
It's already too late according to the CDC. But maybe doing something is better than not trying. Can't tell if this is a public health message, or some kind of internal political signal that is too subtle to get. Doesn't matter, it is the right message to send.

I haven't posted in this thread for ages. I respect the opinions aired, I get the news but I don't want to discuss the issue in depth; it's something we are all living with and that's the way it is.

What I can say though is that we've been lucky here, and I hope we know, and are grateful for, that.

So far things are o.k. (in a manner of speaking) although there is a second wave of outbreaks in another state.

But our measures have been pretty stringent (with exceptions or stuff-ups) and most people seem to want to do the right thing which is protect us all. Yes common sense can be problematic for some but, at least in my state, we have had the least reported cases and deaths and, nationally, we are doing much better than many, many other nation states.

The only message I get now is that this isn't over and won't be over for a long time....

It already attacks young people. It just doesn't kill them necessarily. We're looking at Kawasaki syndrome for some of the very young, increased risk of diabetes, permanent cardio-vascular damage (which may one day result in mortality) and now possible brain damage that may result in psychosis or metabolic issues. But I suppose that's an issue for the tomorrow version of themselves, now it's time to party!

It already attacks young people. It just doesn't kill them necessarily. We're looking at Kawasaki syndrome for some of the very young, increased risk of diabetes, permanent cardio-vascular damage (which may one day result in mortality) and now possible brain damage that may result in psychosis or metabolic issues. But I suppose that's an issue for the tomorrow version of themselves, now it's time to party!

They know it attacks them but because the media has been full of "but the young only get mild symptons in the vast majority of cases" the young don't regard this as a big enough problem. Of course authorities have to balance information to stop mass panic.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom